• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

D-Back

So it's been a month and looks like there's no third party alarm clock/speaker docks/charging docks coming out for iPhone5.

I've read several articles where with air play and bluetooth so prevalent, people no longer need docks. I agree with this except for it's extremely annoying using my iPhone as an alarm clock when it's not docked. I've almost ripped my lightning cable twice grabbing my phone to turn off the alarm when i wake up. When I want to check the time, I have to pick up the phone instead of just pressing the top when docked.

Theres a 3rd party dock available on amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Shenit-Charging-Docking-Lightning-connector/dp/B009PJGACO/ref=pd_ybh_4

So it's been a month and looks like there's no third party alarm clock/speaker docks/charging docks coming out for iPhone5.

I've read several articles where with air play and bluetooth so prevalent, people no longer need docks. I agree with this except for it's extremely annoying using my iPhone as an alarm clock when it's not docked. I've almost ripped my lightning cable twice grabbing my phone to turn off the alarm when i wake up. When I want to check the time, I have to pick up the phone instead of just pressing the top when docked.

The problem with releasing a brand new connector (a) under a veil of secrecy and (b) that requires specific chips that are otherwise unavailable is that there was basically no lead-time for any peripheral maker to ship something. We'll see docks, but not until the tech is sufficiently available; as it is Apple hasn't fully supplied stores with its own cables.

The one thing I'm surprised I haven't heard about yet is a panel for the universal dock connector that many of these docks actually support. Sure, it's not as trivial anymore but you'd think you could just plug in the non-cable 30pin->lightning into the dock and then you just would need a plastic seater around it to keep it stable. (the phone would be sticking out of the well quite a bit, but at least it would *work*...)

Pachimari

After 2 weeks and 2 days my iPhone 5 is still in mint condition. And it's naked. It even fell down from the car seat when I had to brake real hard.

Also, am I the only one who still don't like the 4" screen much because you have to move the phone in your hand to reach the top?

EDIT:
And with that my iPhone 5 just dropped its WiFi signal twice within 10 seconds again - amazing.

Zutroy

My phone keeps vibrating because it keeps going on and off of silence. Is this a known software bug or is it more likely that my side button is loose?

mrkgoo

Ya, but how did the iPhone 4 and 4S look after a few weeks in the store?

No-one's denying that the iPhone5 scuffs easier than the iPhone 4/4s. That's fairly obvious.

Aluminum vs. glass and steel.

Then again, i guess so is the fact that a display version would get scuffed more than your own.

I don't think i'll mind the easiness of scuffing, but I guess I have to see to find out. My bigger concerns are with iOS6 cellular data leak, and wifi issues. These problems actually hinder use.

noah111

Still Alive
Because 16:9 crops too much of a sensor's vertical pixels, imo. Regular cameras are usually 4:3 and dslrs 3:2. I prefer 3:2 since it's a nice compromise between the two.

1iNx+
Yeah, and even 3:2 can feel a bit too cropped at times, to me. Really don't get the logic behind why a 16:9 photo would be superior other than perfectly fitting on that specific device's screen.

JDeluis

Yeah, and even 3:2 can feel a bit too cropped at times, to me. Really don't get the logic behind why a 16:9 photo would be superior other than perfectly fitting on that specific device's screen.

I believe that is the only reason. People hate black bars.

paskowitz

How much do you think a good condition (no major scratches or dents) Black Verizon iPhone 5 32GB will be worth off contract in 19 months?

Tabris

The general rule of thumb is as follows for pricing when I've sold my iPhones on craigslist (32gb models):

Previous Gen Unlocked Phone: $450-500
Previous Gen Locked Phone: $400-450
2 Gen Away Unlocked Phone: $300-350
2 Gen Away Locked Phone: $250-300
3 Gen Away Phone: $100-200

mrkgoo

I take a lot of photos�� and consider cropping✂ as one of my compositional tools. Wider aspect ratios lend to a more 'cinematic' feel��, and works well for landscapes��. I do a lot of cropping to 16:9. It can be nice to have an option to compose to a Pre-cropped image to help visualisation��.

noah111

Still Alive
I take a lot of photos�� and consider cropping✂ as one of my compositional tools. Wider aspect ratios lend to a more 'cinematic' feel��, and works well for landscapes��. I do a lot of cropping to 16:9. It can be nice to have an option to compose to a Pre-cropped image to help visualisation��.
If you can take the time to type those fancy characters you can take the time to crop your photo. :p

I believe that is the only reason. People hate black bars.
The image doesn't have to appear with black bars on your screen. It could simply fill vertically so that it appears to be a 16:9 photo, but with extra pixels existing off-screen on each side.

That's how it currently works when you're in the camera app..

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So I'm sure this question has been asked before but this thread is already 200 pages, so any help would be appreciated.

I managed to get one at my Apple Store on Friday, and over the past two days I've noticed the backside gets quite warm and the battery drains way more quickly than my old iPhone 4. I have not played any games, just using Facebook, Twitter in very quick spirts, no longer than a minute or two at a time. I don't use Location Services, Bluetooth, or Personal Hotspot. My screen brightness is really low, the only notifications I have on are Facebook, Twitter, SMS and Phone. In the less than five minutes it took me to research these settings, my battery drained 1%.

I've tried resetting the settings per Google Search, no effect. I've let it drain all the way down to 2% and recharged it to full 100%, no good. Do I just have a defective phone?

Aiii

So not worth it
So I'm back to my 3GS after selling my Galaxy S2 to my brother. Can't wait for the 5 to arrive though, but I'm so happy to be back on iOS I don't even mind the slowness and low quality screen that much.

Dear me, I'm a fanboy, aren't I?

I posted in the iPhone 4S OT, but since it's basically dead I'd figure I give it a shot in here instead. Anyone have any suggestions for good arm bands to work out with for a 4S? I'm looking for something minimal, but comfortable and not too bulky.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So I'm sure this question has been asked before but this thread is already 200 pages, so any help would be appreciated.

I managed to get one at my Apple Store on Friday, and over the past two days I've noticed the backside gets quite warm and the battery drains way more quickly than my old iPhone 4. I have not played any games, just using Facebook, Twitter in very quick spirts, no longer than a minute or two at a time. I don't use Location Services, Bluetooth, or Personal Hotspot. My screen brightness is really low, the only notifications I have on are Facebook, Twitter, SMS and Phone. In the less than five minutes it took me to research these settings, my battery drained 1%.

I've tried resetting the settings per Google Search, no effect. I've let it drain all the way down to 2% and recharged it to full 100%, no good. Do I just have a defective phone?

Anyone?

M_A_C

So I'm back to my 3GS after selling my Galaxy S2 to my brother. Can't wait for the 5 to arrive though, but I'm so happy to be back on iOS I don't even mind the slowness and low quality screen that much.

What didn't you like about Android? I was thinking of change over to it from IOS after having iPhones for forever.

goodfella

I'm keeping my 3gs until it dies.

Aiii

So not worth it
What didn't you like about Android? I was thinking of change over to it from IOS after having iPhones for forever.

It's not any one thing in particular I guess. It's just that Android does alot of things just a tiny bit worse (I'd almost say "less good" to make it sound more positive) then iOS. Sure, it has some nice features and more customisability, but it didn't weigh up to the little annoyances in the end.

For instance, the touch screen seems less responsive, at least on the S2, then the iPhone's I had. I used Pattern to Unlock and for some reason it would break up the pattern mid-way unless I first cleaned my phone on my paints or shirt (I've heard this complaint from other users, so it seems a common issue) and the keyboard, as said, was alot worse as well, I mistyped alot (just one key left or right to the one I wanted to tap) even though on the iPhone I hardly ever did that. Even after 1,5 years of using the device (got it May of 2011) I still mistyped alot. The default browser is horrible, but that got alot better with Chrome now.

Then there's the overall slugishness of the system, alot of app crashes, random reboots and what not. I hear they fixed alot of that with 4.1, but that comes too late for me.

Another thing that pissed me off was Samsung. They have a Voice app that launched on double tap of the home button, then a woman's computer voice comes on "What would you like to do?" For the first year or so, there was no proper way of removing this app unless to root your phone, so I heard that alot. A LOT! It pissed me off more everytime. I removed her later on though without rooting, so that's an option now, but again, it just pissed me off.
Also, Samsung decided to roll out 4.0 for each country individually, I live in the Netherlands and we were one of the last countries to actually get the update, we waited over a month compared to the original launch, I am not a patient man, and I do not appreciate waiting for stuff when I know it's available if I lived 5km's over (I live next to the German border), that's not acceptable in 2012 when the whole world's connected. I blame Samsung wanting to forcefeed certain Dutch pre-installed application from their sponsors.

As I said, nothing is really a major issue, aside from the touch screen responsiveness. Overall it's a good device and Android is pretty much nearing equal to iOS with 4.1. It's just a little less refined and with each update they change the design (once again, the lockscreen, they change the design of the patternbuttons and the font of the date and clock with every version. Pick one already and stick with it! I hate change for the sake of change).

Overall. If you want to try Android go for it, I'm a nitpicker (comes with being a UID designer I guess) and get easily annoyed. The more annoyed I get by something the less chance it ever has of redeeming itself. But for what it's worth, the iPhone never pissed me off that much and I'm very happy going back to it.

JayDub

It's not any one thing in particular I guess. It's just that Android does alot of things just a tiny bit worse (I'd almost say "less good" to make it sound more positive) then iOS. Sure, it has some nice features and more customisability, but it didn't weigh up to the little annoyances in the end.

For instance, the touch screen seems less responsive, at least on the S2, then the iPhone's I had. I used Pattern to Unlock and for some reason it would break up the pattern mid-way unless I first cleaned my phone on my paints or shirt (I've heard this complaint from other users, so it seems a common issue) and the keyboard, as said, was alot worse as well, I mistyped alot (just one key left or right to the one I wanted to tap) even though on the iPhone I hardly ever did that. Even after 1,5 years of using the device (got it May of 2011) I still mistyped alot. The default browser is horrible, but that got alot better with Chrome now.

Then there's the overall slugishness of the system, alot of app crashes, random reboots and what not. I hear they fixed alot of that with 4.1, but that comes too late for me.

Another thing that pissed me off was Samsung. They have a Voice app that launched on double tap of the home button, then a woman's computer voice comes on "What would you like to do?" For the first year or so, there was no proper way of removing this app unless to root your phone, so I heard that alot. A LOT! It pissed me off more everytime. I removed her later on though without rooting, so that's an option now, but again, it just pissed me off.
Also, Samsung decided to roll out 4.0 for each country individually, I live in the Netherlands and we were one of the last countries to actually get the update, we waited over a month compared to the original launch, I am not a patient man, and I do not appreciate waiting for stuff when I know it's available if I lived 5km's over (I live next to the German border), that's not acceptable in 2012 when the whole world's connected. I blame Samsung wanting to forcefeed certain Dutch pre-installed application from their sponsors.

As I said, nothing is really a major issue, aside from the touch screen responsiveness. Overall it's a good device and Android is pretty much nearing equal to iOS with 4.1. It's just a little less refined and with each update they change the design (once again, the lockscreen, they change the design of the patternbuttons and the font of the date and clock with every version. Pick one already and stick with it! I hate change for the sake of change).

Overall. If you want to try Android go for it, I'm a nitpicker (comes with being a UID designer I guess) and get easily annoyed. The more annoyed I get by something the less chance it ever has of redeeming itself. But for what it's worth, the iPhone never pissed me off that much and I'm very happy going back to it.

I had the chance to use my friend's S3 for a week and noticed that "scrolling" is generally not as smooth as iOS. When I compare them side to side, they "seem" to do the same thing, but something is missing with Android's scrolling. Did you notice the same thing?

mrkgoo

If you can take the time to type those fancy characters you can take the time to crop your photo. :p

The image doesn't have to appear with black bars on your screen. It could simply fill vertically so that it appears to be a 16:9 photo, but with extra pixels existing off-screen on each side.

That's how it currently works when you're in the camera app..
Heh.

Anyway, I'm not wanting it to crop for me, as I said I crop a lot anyway. I was just responding sayin that 16:9 photos aren't solely for just wanting it to fit a screen, that there are perfectly valid reasons for wanting a 16:9 shot.

An I argued for a frame just to help visual composing. Kind of a 'pre-crop'.

KtSlime

Heh.

Anyway, I'm not wanting it to crop for me, as I said I crop a lot anyway. I was just responding sayin that 16:9 photos aren't solely for just wanting it to fit a screen, that there are perfectly valid reasons for wanting a 16:9 shot.

An I argued for a frame just to help visual composing. Kind of a 'pre-crop'.

The camera should really have a frame like a viewfinder of a point-and-shoot, I find the grid overly messy and distracting. Just a couple of corners would help immensely in photo taking.

Aiii

So not worth it
I had the chance to use my friend's S3 for a week and noticed that "scrolling" is generally not as smooth as iOS. When I compare them side to side, they "seem" to do the same thing, but something is missing with Android's scrolling. Did you notice the same thing?

Yeah, it's noticable everywhere, the whole thing just seems a bit more sluggish compared to iOS. Also, I missed the tap on the statusbar to scroll to the top functionality alot.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I have my iPhone 5 ready for transport, just need to call them with a date for when i'm home to receive the damn thing.

So probably tuesday.

Iacobellis

Just ordered my 32 GB black iPhone 5 for me and my 32 GB white iPhone 5 for my girlfriend :D

Will come in 14-21 days...hopefullly lol

Good luck. Day 19 here on AT&T and they still haven't called yet telling me I could pick the phone up. Getting a 4S last year was much faster!

Iacobellis

I had it shipped to my house? Is that the same with you?

also im in cali so idk if that helps or not hahaha

Well, we are in different situations then! I have my name down for a Black & Slate 32GB model, whenever my local AT&T store gets more in stock. I couldn't do any kind of online ordering because I used another line on our family plan to get the phone fully subsidized.

noah111

Still Alive
Some great ones here.
Awesome site, thank you.
Thanks! Great site.
Thanks guys! :) cool to see someone randomly stumble upon it, hah.

That "mouseover-to-see-what-it-would-look-like-when-actually-in-use feature" on that site is brilliant. Just brilliant.
Thanks, definitely proud of that since I'm horse shit at HTML coding so I ended up spent an hour or two just trying to figure out how to implement it, lol.

All I have to do now is tag all of the images and include a search feature. :)

jts

...hate me...
Thanks guys! :) cool to see someone randomly stumble upon it, hah.

Thanks, definitely proud of that since I'm horse shit at HTML coding so I ended up spent an hour or two just trying to figure out how to implement it, lol.

All I have to do now is tag all of the images and include a search feature. :)
Yeah, I noticed the Sentry network logo right away. You're on fire these days :D

matt360

What's the difference between turning cellular off but keeping wifi on and turning airplane mode on and keeping wifi on?

krpiper

I have a problem with my Droid 2 Global getting very warm after just a short time of use, anything, texting, Facebook, Reddit, GAF.

Does the iPhone get warm under heavy use? and if it does is it warm, or "hot"

Top Bottom