• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

jts

...hate me...
What's the difference between turning cellular off but keeping wifi on and turning airplane mode on and keeping wifi on?
Unless there's actually a switch for turning full cellular off that I don't know of, the one you're talking about is turning cellular data off, which means you'll still have all the other cellular services active, calls, SMS. You won't have that on airplane mode.

KillGore

This may be a very stupid question but if I remember correctly, my GF's 3GS didn't allow the transfer of files via bluetooth (something phones had been doing for so many years), can the iPhone 5 do it? If not, then how do you send files to another phone??

elsk

Banned
This may be a very stupid question but if I remember correctly, my GF's 3GS didn't allow the transfer of files via bluetooth (something phones had been doing for so many years), can the iPhone 5 do it? If not, then how do you send files to another phone??

Huh?

All of the sudden my iPhone start being veeeery slow using the wi-fi network at home that it stop most of the time and i have to switch to G3!

Why?

I've been having the same issue. It was basically useless on wifi all day yesterday so I switched to 3G. Today though, the issue is gone and it's full speed on wifi. Nothing I changed yesterday had any effect at the time though.

Edit: It's worth googling the slow wifi issue. There are a lot of potential fixes posted on the apple forums and elsewhere. None of them seemed to work for me but it doesn't mean they won't for you.

Ashhong

Bump

what did I do

RevDM

Banned
Thanks guys! :) cool to see someone randomly stumble upon it, hah.

Thanks, definitely proud of that since I'm horse shit at HTML coding so I ended up spent an hour or two just trying to figure out how to implement it, lol.

All I have to do now is tag all of the images and include a search feature. :)

Oh shit you made that site? I saw 'Sentry' network and I thought, "there's a gaffer named sentry" lol random. Good job dude. I'm using one of the wallpapers.

Akkad

Banned
Checking Apple's site every night at 10pm (local time) at you can reserve one for pickup the next day. I checked each night at 9:59, and checked a few times quickly, and I got one within days.

Yup, I cancelled my AT&T order and days later I picked up a phone at an Apple store.

Marco1

Just received my HardGraft fold wallet case and although it feels and looks great I just don't see myself using it much.
I am just going naked ip5 from now on and if I drop it then so be it.

Hari Seldon

There is definitely a battery problem with select phones. Went on a trip with my parents. My mom's iPhone 5 was just being used for light texting and I was using mine full tilt with GPS. Her phone had maybe 3 apps on it since it is her first iPhone. By 6pm her phone was totally dead and mine which was much heavier usage was still at 80%. She is Verizon and I'm ATT so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Aiii

So not worth it
There is definitely a battery problem with select phones. Went on a trip with my parents. My mom's iPhone 5 was just being used for light texting and I was using mine full tilt with GPS. Her phone had maybe 3 apps on it since it is her first iPhone. By 6pm her phone was totally dead and mine which was much heavier usage was still at 80%. She is Verizon and I'm ATT so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

How about Bluetooth, push mail vs. pop mail that checks on interval, 3G vs. LTE?

Lot of outside factors could impact her batterylife compared to yours, regardless of use.

Hari Seldon

How about Bluetooth, push mail vs. pop mail that checks on interval, 3G vs. LTE?

Lot of outside factors could impact her batterylife compared to yours, regardless of use.

Nope, she doesn't even know how to setup push email. I disabled her bluetooth for her since it comes on by default. Although even with it on it is definitely defective if it drains the battery when not even connected to any bluetooth peripheral. She is taking it back.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
that uses an inferior plastic, not 2 layered candyshell.
they almost fooled me with that till I read the amazon reviews
I had a couple candyshell cases for my 3GS, and I hated them. They always broke at the bottom where the thin piece of case runs between the plug and the home button. The softer rubber parts would always rub away too, almost like they were disintegrating as I used the sleep, volume, etc. buttons. I've never been too happy with a Speck case.

I had a couple candyshell cases for my 3GS, and I hated them. They always broke at the bottom where the thin piece of case runs between the plug and the home button. The softer rubber parts would always rub away too, almost like they were disintegrating as I used the sleep, volume, etc. buttons. I've never been too happy with a Speck case.

hmmm I've had mine for a year and its still as good as the day I bought it, solid, didn't loosen up like so many other cases I've bought and only has minimal scratches here and there.

My favorite part of owning an iPhone 5: Whenever I'm using my phone around someone who isn't aware I switched my 4S for 5 says "Is that an iPhone 5? Ugh... Let me see. Ugh, Android is the way to go, man."

So awesome!

Mairu

My favorite part of owning an iPhone 5: Whenever I'm using my phone around someone who isn't aware I switched my 4S for 5 says "Is that an iPhone 5? Ugh... Let me see. Ugh, Android is the way to go, man."

So awesome!

I'm happy to say I've never had that happen

So after an excruciating two years with a Droid 2 on Verizon I'm ready to get an iPhone 5. Unfortunately it seems that if I do another two year contract to get the phone discount I'll lose my unlimited data.

$96 a month for a phone is bad enough, and while I've never gone over 2GB a month with my Droid 2 the idea of having to even worry about data usage pisses me off. People say to call and threaten to switch to Sprint in order to get them to "grandfather" me in or whatever, but to know that I could have an iPhone 4S on Virgin for so much cheaper monthly makes me a little apprehensive about committing to a new contract with Verizon. What to do?

I want an iPhone and I'm worried that I'd regret buying an older model in order to keep my monthly bill down. Also, do I need to get phone insurance or should I just pay up for Applecare?

Husker86

So after an excruciating two years with a Droid 2 on Verizon I'm ready to get an iPhone 5. Unfortunately it seems that if I do another two year contract to get the phone discount I'll lose my unlimited data.

$96 a month for a phone is bad enough, and while I've never gone over 2GB a month with my Droid 2 the idea of having to even worry about data usage pisses me off. People say to call and threaten to switch to Sprint in order to get them to "grandfather" me in or whatever, but to know that I could have an iPhone 4S on Virgin for so much cheaper monthly makes me a little apprehensive about committing to a new contract with Verizon. What to do?

I want an iPhone and I'm worried that I'd regret buying an older model in order to keep my monthly bill down. Also, do I need to get phone insurance or should I just pay up for Applecare?

Carrier insurance for the iPhone has a $200 deductible on top of the monthly fee. Not worth it in my opinion.

I didn't get AppleCare either, I'll just pay the $200 to fix the screen if I somehow break it.

bionic77

Dropped the phone and now have a scuff on the upper right corner.

It definitely does not look nice but I am not too hung up over it either. I could have avoided it by getting some cheap case, but the phone feels so good naked that I will take a few bumps and bruises and just enjoy it until I upgrade in 2 years.

numble

I feel like iPhone 5 will come to Virgin Mobile. You'll have to wait though...

Appleman

Friend accidentally shattered a pint glass with my phone the other night. Chamfer got a teeny nick and the Apple logo has a small scratch but otherwise unscathed!! Was pretty worried for a few seconds there...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Question. I am from the US and will be traveling to Switzerland for work next month. As the iPhone 5 is a global phone, will I have coverage?

Will it cost extra?

VoxPop

Question. I am from the US and will be traveling to Switzerland for work next month. As the iPhone 5 is a global phone, will I have coverage?

Will it cost extra?

If you have the ATT version, make sure to get it unlocked beforehand. VZ you should tell them you're going on vacay and to put your phone on vacation suspension (up to 3 months I think). Best to get a SIM in Switz but not sure how the whole Nano sim thing works.

jcm

Will it cost extra?

Who is your carrier? I use my AT&T phone in Switzerland all the time, but I don't do it on AT&T roaming, because that's very expensive. I buy a prepaid sim in Switzerland and use it. Obviously, this results in you have a different, Swiss phone number while you're there.

AT&T phones are locked, so you'll need to unlock it. I paid someone on ebay $7 for a carrier unlock that appears to have worked. Verizon and Sprint iPhone 5's are already GSM sim unlocked, so you could buy a prepaid sim and use it. No idea about their roaming arrangements, but I'll bet it's expensive too.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Sorry, I'm on Verizon. Roaming cost isn't too big an option as work will cover it. Just looking for the best way to make calls/texts data and still use my iphone.

sangreal

It will work fine but it wont be cheap. Grab the global data plan for $25/100MB or you will be paying over $20 a mb

The "best" way is to just grab a prepaid sim card in Switzerland. This is what I did when I went to Germany a couple of weeks ago. That said, it was a bit of a pain in the ass to find prepaid nanosims

ckohler

Ever since I got my iPhone 5 a week ago, I wasn't able to get Siri to play music. She would just say "Sorry, Chris, I can't play your music." I discovered that if you do a hard reset (hold down the power and home button for five seconds), that fixes it.

So, if you can't get Siri to play any music try a hard reset.

Local Verizon store had one black 64gb model left. I have been searching for a white 16 or 32gb. Needless to say, I was weak and bought the 64 and spent WAY more money than I intended. But now I don't have to worry about space like on my 16gb iPhone 4.

And damn is this thing fast as hell compared to the 4.

Tell my why I should stick with Verizon instead of moving to Sprint. I'm not happy that they aren't willing to let me keep my unlimited data unless I go month to month. Sprint seems to be about $15 less monthly. I'm in Seattle and coverage seems to be pretty good by most networks.

sangreal

Tell my why I should stick with Verizon instead of moving to Sprint. I'm not happy that they aren't willing to let me keep my unlimited data unless I go month to month. Sprint seems to be about $15 less monthly. I'm in Seattle and coverage seems to be pretty good by most networks.

Verizon has LTE in Seattle and Sprint doesn't. Whats the point of unlimited data on their slow as shit network? If you really do need unlimited data just buy the phone unsubsidized or on a different line and Verizon will happily let you keep it

Husker86

Sprint 3G data speeds are terrible.

flake

So it seems my iphone 5's battery is showing no signs of improvement. Just lost 15% from full charge overnight. The other day I left the house with 100% and when i got home, about 9 hours late, it was on 4%.

Does this seem like a hardware issue? Should i get it checked out?

Grifter

Who is your carrier? I use my AT&T phone in Switzerland all the time, but I don't do it on AT&T roaming, because that's very expensive. I buy a prepaid sim in Switzerland and use it. Obviously, this results in you have a different, Swiss phone number while you're there.

AT&T phones are locked, so you'll need to unlock it. I paid someone on ebay $7 for a carrier unlock that appears to have worked. Verizon and Sprint iPhone 5's are already GSM sim unlocked, so you could buy a prepaid sim and use it. No idea about their roaming arrangements, but I'll bet it's expensive too.

A friend recommended an eBay unlock too. How are people able to alter the Apple DB?

Verizon has LTE in Seattle and Sprint doesn't. Whats the point of unlimited data on their slow as shit network? If you really do need unlimited data just buy the phone unsubsidized or on a different line and Verizon will happily let you keep it

Yeah, I get that. I checked my Verizon history and I barely go over 1gig a month, but just knowing there's a limit makes me kinda nervous. I'm already paying $96 a month with a work discount and it just feels really shitty to take perks away from me at this point.

Does an iPhone eat more data than an Android phone? I swear I've heard that somewhere.

If Sprint has LTE in your area it's worth a look. Otherwise their 3G data is horrible. You can check here: http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?ECID=vanity:coverage

Oh, wow. Zero 4G coverage in Seattle. Yikes.

Thanks GAF <3

Top Bottom