• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So it seems my iphone 5's battery is showing no signs of improvement. Just lost 15% from full charge overnight. The other day I left the house with 100% and when i got home, about 9 hours late, it was on 4%.

Does this seem like a hardware issue? Should i get it checked out?
Swap it.

I got 8.5 hours of actual usage yesterday and 1.5 days standby and I have LTE on, use Location, 3 emails using Push, and 2 others updating every hour.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Does anyone know if restoring a phone from a iTunes backup causes the battery problems people like me are having? Or do we just have bad lemons?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Does anyone know if restoring a phone from a iTunes backup causes the battery problems people like me are having? Or do we just have bad lemons?
My iPhone 5 can trace its lineage all the way down to the original iPhone, and an iPad inbetween.
Never really been an issue.

numble

But there are a ton of them now..I wish I knew how so I could sell the service too lol

Yeah, @chronic has made maybe $100,000 to $200,000 so far just doing unlocks for the past month:
http://twitter.com/chronic/status/255991553540096000

And from what I understand, he just is acting as an intermediary--he gets money from a user and then pays an unlocker that can unlock from that specific carrier (that's why some unlocks cost more than others)

Yeah, so I had the Verizon data leak earlier before updating the carrier settings. Said I used 500MB in an hour. Didn't feel like it.

But now that I am home and did a restore from my iPhone 4 backup, all is well. Except for forgetting half of my passwords to things. Still, amazed at how damn fast and light this thing is compared to the iPhone 4.

mrkgoo

Yeah, so I had the Verizon data leak earlier before updating the carrier settings. Said I used 500MB in an hour. Didn't feel like it.

But now that I am home and did a restore from my iPhone 4 backup, all is well. Except for forgetting half of my passwords to things. Still, amazed at how damn fast and light this thing is compared to the iPhone 4.
I've hear this issue may be more widespread than verizon just that many people don't realise.

That said it's also possible that with icloud an a lot of other Connectivity, there is a higher usage. I o ly get 500mb per month so this is worrying.

I've hear this issue may be more widespread than verizon just that many people don't realise.

That said it's also possible that with icloud an a lot of other Connectivity, there is a higher usage. I o ly get 500mb per month so this is worrying.

When I got the phone at Verizon today, they noticed that my monthly average was between 420-500MB a month. So to blaze through that in a single day shocked me.

But dat speed. I am amazed at how fast this damn thing is. Did the speed test app here in CT and was getting 13Mbps or so, and on 3G it was only 1.5Mbps or so. Just ridiculous.

Also, everything opens faster and is snappier. Even the wifi seems insanely faster compared to the iPhone 4.

I have the same question. It definitely seems shady. Has to be some kind of insider abusing his position.

That's why Im not taking any chances. You wouldn't want a message from itunes the next time you upgrade your FW saying "You have a blacklisted IMEI" would you? Its not like you can check the status of your IMEI prior to firmware upgrade.

The current rate for an unlock is just under $5. That sounds too good to be true.

matt360

Swap it.

I got 8.5 hours of actual usage yesterday and 1.5 days standby and I have LTE on, use Location, 3 emails using Push, and 2 others updating every hour.

Was a good amount of your actual usage just listening to music/podcasts? If I do only games and internet, I can manage about 5 hours, but if a good amount of my usage is spent listening to music, then I can get your numbers.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Was a good amount of your actual usage just listening to music/podcasts? If I do only games and internet, I can manage about 5 hours, but if a good amount of my usage is spent listening to music, then I can get your numbers.
I don't listen to music at all on it, though I just started to stream from Spotify.

It was just browsing, email, some shopping and finance apps, and map usage.
No games either.

You know what? as much as I love Flipboard on my iPad, I'm growing a strong dislike for the iPhone 5 counterpart. only seeing one story/page is bullshit.

probably going back to Reeder for the iPhone RSS needs.

Britprog

I am well chessed off with apple, preordered a unlocked 16GB white the day before launch and its still not here.

WTF man, they said it will be deliver between 15th-19th October and still not shipped yet.

Anybody else waiting for one directly from Apple?

Krelian

So is this the official iPhone thread? I've been an iPhone owner since yesterday but I "only" got the iPhone 4S. It's a great experience coming from a Blackberry! The email situation does seem worse but everything else is just awesome.

I have one question though: When I first booted it up it asked me to enter my PIN in Chinese. Is that normal? I would've expected English but not Chinese.

Preordered mine a week before release and it says dispatched on 29th of october.
Assuming its at least a week of transit time, thats 6 weeks after release that it will arrive.

Im kinda annoyed that its taking so long but i guess the demand is crazy or something.

noah111

Still Alive
I am well chessed off with apple, preordered a unlocked 16GB white the day before launch and its still not here.

WTF man, they said it will be deliver between 15th-19th October and still not shipped yet.

That's what you get for ordering the white model. :p

But seriously, that's crazy. Try calling them?

Preordered mine a week before release and it says dispatched on 29th of october.
Assuming its at least a week of transit time, thats 6 weeks after release that it will arrive.

Im kinda annoyed that its taking so long but i guess the demand is crazy or something.

It's crazy enough for sealed 16GB iphones (carrier locked) to be sold for $850 atm on ebay.

jcm

That's why Im not taking any chances. You wouldn't want a message from itunes the next time you upgrade your FW saying "You have a blacklisted IMEI" would you? Its not like you can check the status of your IMEI prior to firmware upgrade.

The current rate for an unlock is just under $5. That sounds too good to be true.

Apple deciding to brick the phone doesn't seem terribly likely to me. I think worst case is they'll relock it.

My estimated delivery was between the 3rd and 9th, I got it on the 8th. Wait until they miss your estimate before being outraged, that's what the estimate is for :p

jts

...hate me...
Ordered on Apple Store a couple of weeks ago and my payment went through just today (because instead of paying with credit card like normal people I used bank transfer) and, contrary to what I was expecting, the 3-4 week delivery time just started counting now as well. The estimate is November 9-15th. I was being kinda cool about it but now all this waiting is eating me in the inside :((((

#1stworldproblems

Aiii

So not worth it
My estimated delivery was between the 3rd and 9th, I got it on the 8th. Wait until they miss your estimate before being outraged, that's what the estimate is for :p

This, the estimate is not expired yet, you shouldn't get pissed off unless they miss that by a mile.

Does anybody else's phone straight up freeze when receiving messages? Like iMessages or texts..

Also, sometimes a banner will pop up and the phone will vibrate like I got a text, I'll go to check and it'll be a message from 3 minutes ago.
Wondering if I should go by Apple and switch it out.

Does anybody else's phone straight up freeze when receiving messages? Like iMessages or texts..

Also, sometimes a banner will pop up and the phone will vibrate like I got a text, I'll go to check and it'll be a message from 3 minutes ago.
Wondering if I should go by Apple and switch it out.

None of those things you mention sound hardware related. I'm experiencing a host of odd quirks and bugs. If I do a hard reset to the phone it usually resolves them.

Just wait til iOS 6.01 comes out. It should fix a lot of these issues.

Hari Seldon

Ordered on Apple Store a couple of weeks ago and my payment went through just today (because instead of paying with credit card like normal people I used bank transfer) and, contrary to what I was expecting, the 3-4 week delivery time just started counting now as well. The estimate is November 9-15th. I was being kinda cool about it but now all this waiting is eating me in the inside :((((

#1stworldproblems

Cancel that shit and do the 10pm thing. Took me 5 days and I got mine. And my zip code had me in range of heavily populated Washington DC and stores in that area had phones here and there as well.

Futureman

is the iPhone not able to attach pics to a Gmail message? EVERY time one of my friend's tries, it just sends a huge garbled block of text. What can I tell them to do different?

jts

...hate me...
Cancel that shit and do the 10pm thing. Took me 5 days and I got mine. And my zip code had me in range of heavily populated Washington DC and stores in that area had phones here and there as well.
Well, I live in euroland and the only way to get an unlocked iPhone in this particular country is to order it through the Apple store online. I could get a locked one for 20-30€ cheaper and maybe even today as well, but I don't think it's worth it. I might move out of here soon enough so that unlock might come in handy.

And at least I'll get dat diamond unscratchable coating of the newest batches. believe.jpg :D

andycapps

Yeah, I get that. I checked my Verizon history and I barely go over 1gig a month, but just knowing there's a limit makes me kinda nervous. I'm already paying $96 a month with a work discount and it just feels really shitty to take perks away from me at this point.

Does an iPhone eat more data than an Android phone? I swear I've heard that somewhere.

Oh, wow. Zero 4G coverage in Seattle. Yikes.

Thanks GAF <3

According to S4GRU, first LTE sites in Seattle are probably coming in December. "Launch" should be around June of 2013.

tmdorsey

Battery usage on a replacement iPhone 5

photo_zps7336c414.png

People complaining about bad battery life, should either try to take it by an Apple Store or check for rogue apps.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Battery usage on a replacement iPhone 5

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk52/tmdorsey/photo_zps7336c414.png[IMG]

People complaining about bad battery life, should either try to take it by an Apple Store or check for rogue apps.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there's definitely an issue with some phones.
Glad to see you have a good one.

Noema

YES. I adore Anandtech. It's basically the only review that matters. Everything else is just opinion pieces "Well, I've used the phone for 3 days and it's nice, I guess. It's snappy and lighter than the old one. Buy now."

This is the real McCoy right here.

Top Bottom