• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Marco1

The anandtech review is the only one that matters.
Great that they tackled the scuffing issue and the direction apple are taking with their tech.

If Sprint has LTE in your area it's worth a look. Otherwise their 3G data is horrible. You can check here: http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?ECID=vanity:coverage

Yeah, I just returned a 5 due to the shitty 3G network. I never knew how bad it was because my Android supported HSPA. My speeds literally dropped over 95%.

My contract is up in December, we'll see what things look like then. Probably getting a Nexus and a $30 a month plan, though.

I do love my iPad. Good luck to you guys.

KillGore

I'm not sure if I should ask this question here since it's slightly off-topic but I was wondering if it was possible to stream live tv to the iphone 5, I've always wanted to stream what I see on my cable to a phone or tablet and I'm not sure if it's possible (i think it was years ago but that could've changed) ? I know you needed to buy a separate thing to allow it to stream, right?

Zeth

I'm not sure if I should ask this question here since it's slightly off-topic but I was wondering if it was possible to stream live tv to the iphone 5, I've always wanted to stream what I see on my cable to a phone or tablet and I'm not sure if it's possible (i think it was years ago but that could've changed) ? I know you needed to buy a separate thing to allow it to stream, right?

Slingbox is probably what you want. It will do all of that and more. It's a great product IMO.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I really hope they Apple adds this ala the video mode as I agree with them.

Anandtech said:
As of this writing in iOS 6.0 there is no way to double tap on the preview and get an aspect-correct, 100 percent preview with letterboxing like you could do with 16:9 video in video capture mode. Instead, you’re just always locked to an absurd 3:2 center crop of a 4:3 image. This makes absolutely no sense to me and will always result in image composition in the preview screen that looks nothing like the end result. I sincerely hope an update adds a double tap gesture that will give an actual 4:3 preview.

Struct09

My battery life is awesome some days, and really crappy other days. However, it seems fine if I disable LTE. I'll chalk it up to AT&T's LTE network being new in Seattle.

dwebo

It's gonna depend a lot on your network too. Bad network = high battery consumption.

yep, from the anandtech review:

l6NsR.png

the second iphone5 is using 3g. this probably goes a long way in explaining the variances people are experiencing

My battery life is awesome some days, and really crappy other days. However, it seems fine if I disable LTE. I'll chalk it up to AT&T's LTE network being new in Seattle.

mine seems normal. haven't used it yet today (charged to 100% 12 hours ago then removed from charger) and it's still at 99%.

everything on (and push mail every 15 minutes) except bluetooth.

yep, from the anandtech review:

l6NsR.png

the second iphone5 is using 3g. this probably goes a long way in explaining the variances people are experiencing

am I reading that correctly? It gets twice the battery life on LTE than it will get on 3G?

how the...? Bizarro land.

dwebo

am I reading that correctly? It gets twice the battery life on LTE than it will get on 3G?

depends on usage

The non-LTE phones see a sharp drop in battery life. At least at 28nm the slower air interfaces simply have to remain active (and drawing power) for longer, which results in measurably worse battery life. Again, the thing to be careful of here is there's usually a correlation between network speed and how aggressive you use the device. With a workload that scaled with network speed you might see closer numbers between 3G and 4G LTE.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
mine seems normal. haven't used it yet today (charged to 100% 12 hours ago then removed from charger) and it's still at 99%.

2nd Gen LTE chip which uses a lot less power. (it's smaller)

But when using slower networks, like 3G, it will use more power since data transfer is slower, thus it is active more often.

At least, if I've read correctly.

Waaaaaa after a whole day you dropped 1%? That doesnt even seem possible, especially if you push every 15 minutes.

I do the same thing and itll last a day and a half MAX. And that's if i do nothing with it.

Waaaaaa after a whole day you dropped 1%? That doesnt even seem possible, especially if you push every 15 minutes.

I do the same thing and itll last a day and a half MAX. And that's if i do nothing with it.

I took it off of the charger at 4am. It's now 7:30pm where I am and I'm at 97%. Wifi+4G+Pushing email every 15 minutes+ 3 or 4 apps pushing alerts.

I have not otherwise used the phone except to look at some random ESPN alerts and a few missed calls.

Seems pretty good any way it's sliced, but that's what I expected, tbh.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I took it off of the charger at 4am. It's now 7:30pm where I am and I'm at 97%. Wifi+4G+Pushing email every 15 minutes+ 3 or 4 apps pushing alerts.

I have not otherwise used the phone except to look at some random ESPN alerts and a few missed calls.

Tinkered with brightness settings any or do you leave it on auto?

Ovid

Damn son...dat battery life.

If i do the same thing theres no way in hell it would be at 97%!!

Do you charge only when its dead or whever u get home?

bionic77

Same here. Today I was on the road and used the phone a lot (phone calls, email, net, Bluetooth and podcasts in the car) and I had 9+ hours of usage when I charged it at 2% battery.

That is better than I usually get though. I think a lot depends on strength of network.

matt360

I think in my case it is definitely the network causing the battery problems. I have a great wifi signal at home and at work where I spend the vast majority of my time and so for the last couple of days I have kept "Cellular Data" off and my battery has lasted forever. I was still at 89-90% last night after three hours of constant use.

The only weird thing is, is that I never had these network problems with my iPhone 4. I do have a strong 3G and LTE signal in my area, but for whatever reason if I turn those things on it just destroys my battery.

I have no idea how these cellular networks work, but is it possible that my coverage area is downgrading their 3G coverage strength in order to make room for 4G. Or does it not work that way?

If i do the same thing theres no way in hell it would be at 97%!!

Do you charge only when its dead or whever u get home?

I just got it a few days ago and had been charging it constantly. I just let it fall down to 0, then plugged it in until it charged to 100% to see what would happen.

Now at 96%. now 8:30pm here.

I think I can live with losing 1%/hour. lol

I just got it a few days ago and had been charging it constantly. I just let it fall down to 0, then plugged it in until it charged to 100% to see what would happen.

Now at 96%. now 8:30pm here.

I think I can live with losing 1%/hour. lol

Fok i wish

Im using it right now for this and in 2 hours i went from 55 to 39% on a wireless connection.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Damn Anandtech confirming the chamfered portion is painted and not anodized? That is disappointing, would have preferred the anodized after the chamfering at the expense of "shiny" :/

Flo_Evans

Damn Anandtech confirming the chamfered portion is painted and not anodized? That is disappointing, would have preferred the anodized after the chamfering at the expense of "shiny" :/

This is still the most overblown thing ever. Mine has picked up a few nicks, they are noticeable at first but after a day or two the bare aluminum loses its shine and you can't really see them unless you are super, super anal.

Top Bottom