• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

So, I'm getting mine this afetrnoon, got the Apple store email !

So please, what are the best behaviours and tweeks to get the best battery life ? I guess lowering screen brightness is a start, but what about connexions and such ?

Thanks a lot !

(PS: first iPhone)

Tobor

Except Antennagate was actually a big deal. You had to use a case or constantly be conscious about how you're holding your phone.

Not really. I used an iPhone 4 naked for two solid years, and the antenna was never an issue in practice. I would forget about it entirely for months at a time until a post on GAF would bring it up.

Vyer

So, I'm getting mine this afetrnoon, got the Apple store email !

So please, what are the best behaviours and tweeks to get the best battery life ? I guess lowering screen brightness is a start, but what about connexions and such ?

Thanks a lot !

(PS: first iPhone)

Brightness is the only thing I adjusted. I keep mine around 50%. Getting around 8 hours usage on average. Apparently cell reception in your area will make a difference as well.

I also stay mindful of apps. Just kind of keep an eye on which ones drain faster than others.

Phreaker

Not really. I used an iPhone 4 naked for two solid years, and the antenna was never an issue in practice. I would forget about it entirely for months at a time until a post on GAF would bring it up.

Same here. I used it for two years naked, as I'm sure millions of others did, and it was not an issue for me.

yep, from the anandtech review:

l6NsR.png

the second iphone5 is using 3g. this probably goes a long way in explaining the variances people are experiencing

the most interesting part of this chart is the Verizon GS3 LTE browsing performance. one would think it would be at around the same as the AT&T One X, but it's, for lack of a better term, on the bottom.

Ok so whats the best way to tell if your battery life is normal or not? I mean, i feel like mine has been dying faster than normal but im not sure how to test this to make sure before i go to apple with it. Right now its full charge 100%.

Kermy

My batter life used to be really good but ever since I started playing Pocket Planes it's been horrendous. I should stop but can't put the game down.

Appleman

Just got my lightning to 30 pin adapter, smaller in person than I imagined it to be. My 0.2m one is waiting at the UPS depot so I'll have to go grab it at some point.

EDIT: The increased height of my phone in my speaker dock seems to interfere slightly with the IR remote... or the next/previous signalling is slow

LCfiner

Is there a way to get auto-correct to work with profanity? I'm sick of typing ahit and having it correct to shut. :|

1. I think you can reject the "shut" correction by tapping the bubble enough times. it probably wont prompt you for what you want but it'll stop auto-correcting to shut.

2. you can create a keyboard shortcut so that "ahit" gets turned to "shit". it's a preference under "keyboard" in settings. (the default Apple supplied shortcut in omw)

So ive decided to test my battery life on standby today, ive full charged all nite, haven't touched any apps or done anything unless absolutely necessary, turned off auto brightness, put my push email to every 30 minutes and took off a bunch of notifications of apps that i really dont need to be notified from.

So far after over 2 hours, im still at 100%.

So far so good.

sangreal

1. I think you can reject the "shut" correction by tapping the bubble enough times. it probably wont prompt you for what you want but it'll stop auto-correcting to shut.

2. you can create a keyboard shortcut so that "ahit" gets turned to "shit". it's a preference under "keyboard" in settings. (the default Apple supplied shortcut in omw)

Thanks. I knew about the second option (I use it to turn gml into my email) but I didn't realize you could at least get it to stop giving the wrong suggestion. Wish I could just add the words to the dictionary though

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Why do people keep saying "Push every 30 mins" or whatever length of time.
That's not how Push email works.

Do you guys mean you have it fetch every x mins?

I have 3 accounts on Push, and the other 2 will fetch each hour.

Flo_Evans

Hmm I was messing around with sharing photostreams, is there a way to delete them after they are created?

I also had the impression we could make a "pool" where I could add photos (of my kid) and others invited could add theirs too. It seems the sharing is only one way. Unless I am missing something.

edit: ahh you can delete them from aperture... cool.

Trying to save battery life,

Will Settings> General> Cellular Off save me battery life?

All this means is I can not surf the net etc......while not connected to Wi-fi right?

Ill still get calls right?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Trying to save battery life,

Will Settings> General> Cellular Off save me battery life?

All this means is I can not surf the net etc......while not connected to Wi-fi right?

Ill still get calls right?

You won't get calls.
If you're not averaging 7-9 hours of usage time. Swap the phone.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Anyone here in Downtown Chicago during work hours and not getting good Verizon LTE? I had fine LTE for the first 3 weeks, but it's been shoddy since. Hoping it's not because I minorly dropped my phone......

andycapps

Why do people keep saying "Push every 30 mins" or whatever length of time.
That's not how Push email works.

Do you guys mean you have it fetch every x mins?

I have 3 accounts on Push, and the other 2 will fetch each hour.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the correct term if you're setting a refresh interval is "pull" or maybe fetch.

hyp

Hmm I was messing around with sharing photostreams, is there a way to delete them after they are created?

I also had the impression we could make a "pool" where I could add photos (of my kid) and others invited could add theirs too. It seems the sharing is only one way. Unless I am missing something.

edit: ahh you can delete them from aperture... cool.

Photos App > Photo Stream > Tap small arrow > Delete Photo Stream Buton

I really, really wish Apple would add multitouch gesture support to the iPhone.

I feel like every time I push the home button, I'm one press closer to a half-broken home button like I had at the end of my iPhone 4's life. It basically didn't work. I'd have to press it hard or multiple times to get it to do minimize a window and opening the app tray thing was a crap shoot.

The jailbreak app Zephyr was a savior in that way as I could just swipe up to close an app, or swipe from the bottom to open the app tray. Unfortunately, there is no iOS6 jailbreak atm. Still, with how well zephyr worked...and even how well gestures work natively on the iPad, I'm just wondering why we don't have a home button-saving set of iPhone gestures yet.

Home button weakening over time is almost the singular reason why I'm considering buying an extended warranty.

Think I figured out my battery troubles. Lots of settings probably not conducive to preserving battery life. Curious to see how it holds up tomorrow after a full charge.

Top Bottom