• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Brightness is probably your #1 drain. I keep mine a little under 50% and get close to the specs.

Yeah, I haven't had much issue with battery life, but I haven't gotten anything close to the numbers I've seen here. Right now I'm sitting at 36% after two hours of usage and six hours of standby, which is the lowest output I've seen so far.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I really, really wish Apple would add multitouch gesture support to the iPhone.

I feel like every time I push the home button, I'm one press closer to a half-broken home button like I had at the end of my iPhone 4's life. It basically didn't work. I'd have to press it hard or multiple times to get it to do minimize a window and opening the app tray thing was a crap shoot.

The jailbreak app Zephyr was a savior in that way as I could just swipe up to close an app, or swipe from the bottom to open the app tray. Unfortunately, there is no iOS6 jailbreak atm. Still, with how well zephyr worked...and even how well gestures work natively on the iPad, I'm just wondering why we don't have a home button-saving set of iPhone gestures yet.

Home button weakening over time is almost the singular reason why I'm considering buying an extended warranty.
I'm going to have to tell my uncle about Zephyr.
Home Button just does not work anymore for him.

I guess he'll need to wait until iOS 6 jailbreak as well.

I'm going to have to tell my uncle about Zephyr.
Home Button just does not work anymore for him.

I guess he'll need to wait until iOS 6 jailbreak as well.

yea man. Zephyr is a reason to jailbreak all by itself. Far from the only application I can say that about, but definitely one of the clear pro's to jailbreaking.

Ashhong

I really, really wish Apple would add multitouch gesture support to the iPhone.

I feel like every time I push the home button, I'm one press closer to a half-broken home button like I had at the end of my iPhone 4's life. It basically didn't work. I'd have to press it hard or multiple times to get it to do minimize a window and opening the app tray thing was a crap shoot.

The jailbreak app Zephyr was a savior in that way as I could just swipe up to close an app, or swipe from the bottom to open the app tray. Unfortunately, there is no iOS6 jailbreak atm. Still, with how well zephyr worked...and even how well gestures work natively on the iPad, I'm just wondering why we don't have a home button-saving set of iPhone gestures yet.

Home button weakening over time is almost the singular reason why I'm considering buying an extended warranty.

Depending on how easy it is to open up the iPhone 5, home button fixes are pretty easy to do. I fixed my dads 3G in like 30 minutes, and that includes researching how to take it apart, etc. It was just a pin that seemed to get pushed down over time and refusing to make contact. This is assuming it's not drastically different now.

Ashhong

Never had a home button go bad in my 4 years of iPhone ownership.

Now.. volume buttons..

I have never had volume buttons go bad since my original iPhone.

The biggest issue I have had on older iPhones is the display. Grey pixels or something appear at the top of my screens. Is this a common problem over time?

Never had a home button issue until my iPhone 4; the button started having spurts of not working with a week to go before Applecare finally ran out. Apple Store was kind enough to swap ("who would be crazy enough to bring in a near-mint 4 for a swap out otherwise?")

Of course, the swap out died in two days when the proximity sensor blew out, and then the 3rd one got reshuttered before I left the store because they didn't have a way to unlock it...but 4th one is pretty solid now! heh

Grey pixels? Like perm grey even on reboot? That's not a common problem over time, sounds like your screen has some form permanent damage...

Appleman

Maybe it's because I usually only own my phones for a year (although my brother has my two year old 4) but I've never had a single hardware issue with any of my devices...

Ashhong

Grey pixels? Like perm grey even on reboot? That's not a common problem over time, sounds like your screen has some form permanent damage...

Yup, like that section of the screen just doesnt work anymore. It never happened to me, only my relatives phones. There is a high chance that they abused it in some way but they deny it. It's happened on like 3 of them. I will try to get a picture sometime. I thought maybe it was normal over time.

SJRB

Gold Member
Does anyone know more about Apple's restocking? Is a next production on track?

I've been waiting for 3 weeks for my iPhone and I just got told I have to wait another 5. It was 5 two weeks ago. 5 last week and now again "5 weeks".

This is getting rediculous.

Depending on how easy it is to open up the iPhone 5, home button fixes are pretty easy to do. I fixed my dads 3G in like 30 minutes, and that includes researching how to take it apart, etc. It was just a pin that seemed to get pushed down over time and refusing to make contact. This is assuming it's not drastically different now.

oh interesting. I'll have to look into that.

coldfoot

Banned
I don't know if it was posted in the hundreds of pages back, but the most irritating feature of the iphone 5 is the keyboard in non-optimized apps not popping from all the way bottom but from the bottom of the app window. This results in keyboards being in two different places depending on app, and I found out that I can't really type in the keyboard of non-optimized apps like whatsapp. Is there a setting that will make the keyboard pop from the bottom of the screen even if the app isn't optimized for the taller screen?

This is the biggest issue with the 5 I have so far. My internet speeds are amazing on it 16M down/26M up on Verizon.

PSGames

On newer LTE chipsets it actually saves battery life versus 3G connections for the same connection activity.

l6NsR.png

the second iphone5 is using 3g.
lol at all the people turning LTE off to save battery life.

LaneDS

I don't know if it was posted in the hundreds of pages back, but the most irritating feature of the iphone 5 is the keyboard in non-optimized apps not popping from all the way bottom but from the bottom of the app window. This results in keyboards being in two different places depending on app, and I found out that I can't really type in the keyboard of non-optimized apps like whatsapp. Is there a setting that will make the keyboard pop from the bottom of the screen even if the app isn't optimized for the taller screen?

This is the biggest issue with the 5 I have so far. My internet speeds are amazing on it 16M down/26M up on Verizon.

Yeah, definitely an annoyance. Thankfully I don't have too many apps that run letterboxed and use a keyboard, but on the ones that haven't been (or won't) get an iPhone 5 resolution update it is a pain.

Yup, like that section of the screen just doesnt work anymore. It never happened to me, only my relatives phones. There is a high chance that they abused it in some way but they deny it. It's happened on like 3 of them. I will try to get a picture sometime. I thought maybe it was normal over time.

Nope, the life span of LCD panels particularly in phones are pretty solid and you shouldn't be seeing problems like that. So it could be a manufacturer defect or it count be environmental hazards like device abuse (as you mention) or non-intentional problems like excessive water or static exposure. It's hardly common but I've seen phones ruined by long-term moisture/sweat exposure as well as by static from things as stupid as poorly constructed cigarette-lighter chargers.

LTE has been a huge disappointment for me in Seattle.

HSPA+ speeds appear to have slowed too.

YMMV but at least around here the last month hasn't been great for AT&T data speeds. I think the intro of the 5 + the cheaper 4S has overcrowded both their LTE and 3g+ towers.

Uh..there is nothing wrong with this. If you live in an area with limited LTE, leaving it on can be one of your biggest battery killers.

I think I'm in an area where the LTE stuff isn't quite complete (Gainesville, using Sprint). Would it be beneficial to turn LTE off? I generally use wifi when I can.

Ashhong

I think I'm in an area where the LTE stuff isn't quite complete (Gainesville, using Sprint). Would it be beneficial to turn LTE off? I generally use wifi when I can.

I would say yes. Just try it out for a day or 2 and see how it goes. Do you see the LTE logo at the top of your phone alot? If not, turn it off.

hyp

I discovered this after I deleted it in aperture.

Looks like there is no way to allow other people to contribute to a photo stream I made though. LAME.

agreed, worst part of photo stream. though sharing is pretty awesome and private for friends/family.

Ashhong

It has it.

The 5 displays "4G" for HSPA+ like the 4S did, and "LTE" instead when it's in range.

I haven't seen 3g come up on my phone since I drove to Portland over the summer and went through some sub-rural areas.

Woops, got HSPA+ confused with Sprint's WiMax, which I believe the 5 does not support. By any chance does the 5 support T-mobile's HSPA+/4G bands? Or is it still EDGE only?

Woops, got HSPA+ confused with Sprint's WiMax, which I believe the 5 does not support. By any chance does the 5 support T-mobile's HSPA+/4G bands? Or is it still EDGE only?

T-mobile w/ iPhone 5 will be Edge for most people. T-Mobile's 3g network in general isn't compatible w/ the 5's antenna.

Seattle and a few other areas have T-Mobile HSPA+ which is compatible. (T-Mobile is from this area)

They are gearing up to support more LTE and HSPA+ nationwide though.

hirokazu

On newer LTE chipsets it actually saves battery life versus 3G connections for the same connection activity.

l6NsR.png

the second iphone5 is using 3g.

This explains why my battery is so shit on iPhone 5. I'm on a carrier that will be rolling out LTE next year and has really shitting 3G, so it's constantly switching between HSPA+, older 3G and EDGE.

Though I see the iPhone 4 listed there as having worse battery so I'm not entirely sure of the accuracy of those results. I'm assuming the iPhone 4 tested isn't a brand new unit and hence the battery has been worn out. My iPhone 4 definitely had better battery life than my iPhone 5 when it was new.

It has it.

The 5 displays "4G" for HSPA+ like the 4S did, and "LTE" instead when it's in range.

I haven't seen 3g come up on my phone since I drove to Portland over the summer and went through some sub-rural areas.

It only displays 4G if you're on AT&T. It'll display HSPA+ as 3G for basically every other carrier.

lol at all the people turning LTE off to save battery life.

I think it's still a reasonable thing to do if you're not in an area with LTE coverage.

LCfiner

so I got my iphone 5 today. black model, no scuffs out of the box. lucky, I guess.

it's so thin. so light. as expected.

And I get 2 bars of LTE service at my place (Fido/ rogers network). 39 ms ping, 17 Mb down, 6 Mb up. not bad for a weak signal. the super low ping is nice.

My concerns about touching upper left corner corner with right thumb is still a bit of an issue. I need to get used to holding the phone about 1/2 cm higher up than I used to.

the faster cellular and CPU, and lighter weight are worth it for me

xbhaskarx

So I went to my local ATT store (SF bay area) to get an iPhone 5, and they said it was a 4 week wait. They haven't received any new ones since launch. Is this happening everywhere or should I try another store? What's the fastest way to get a new iPhone 5 right now? And is one color easier to find than the other, because I really want the white one...

So I went to my local ATT store (SF bay area) to get an iPhone 5, and they said it was a 4 week wait. They haven't received any new ones since launch. Is this happening everywhere or should I try another store? What's the fastest way to get a new iPhone 5 right now? And is one color easier to find than the other, because I really want the white one...

Try another store. My sister in law got hers from AT&T a couple weeks after the launch.

Use the online reservation system so that you can go in the next day and pick one up.

Fastest way is to order an iPhone to pickup next day at the Apple Store at 10pm SHARP on store.apple.com

matt360

Trying to save battery life,

Will Settings> General> Cellular Off save me battery life?

All this means is I can not surf the net etc......while not connected to Wi-fi right?

Ill still get calls right?

This has yielded the single biggest improvement for me. I'm lucky enough to have access to great wifi at my home and work where I spend most of my time. And yes, even with Cellular Data turned off you still receive calls and texts (even without access to wifi).

I was averaging about 5 hours of use with Cellular Data turned on and I'm getting closer to 10 hours with it turned off and mainly using wifi.

jts

...hate me...
This has yielded the single biggest improvement for me. I'm lucky enough to have access to great wifi at my home and work where I spend most of my time. And yes, even with Cellular Data turned off you still receive calls and texts (even without access to wifi).

I was averaging about 5 hours of use with Cellular Data turned on and I'm getting closer to 10 hours with it turned off and mainly using wifi.
This is a feature since iOS 4.

Top Bottom