• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Hey, one more dumb question. I'm on AT&T and I have an iphone 4 with a shattered screen. Just received a 4S in the mail today. Can I activate it and keep my old number without going to their shitty store?

numble

Hey, one more dumb question. I'm on AT&T and I have an iphone 4 with a shattered screen. Just received a 4S in the mail today. Can I activate it and keep my old number without going to their shitty store?
Just remove the SIM from the iPhone 4 and place it in the 4S. What are you planning to do with the iPhone 4, by the way?

taylor910

My phone freezes when I try to email a video shot on the phone.

It's only 10 seconds long, and when I click to share by email it says preparing video and then goes to the new message screen and just sits.

I can't hit cancel or send, and I have to force quit the app to get back to my photos.

Anyone experience this? I've tried a hard reset.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Delivery guy shows up with my iPhone 5 in hand, asks me for my ID and bank card to finish the transaction on the spot. I hand him my driver's license. (I lost a few cards from my wallet the week before, including my ID card.)

He notices that I made the order with my ID card instead of my driver's license and cannot finish the order. I have to change my identification method to my driver's license first, and then I can make a new appointment for delivery.

Goddamn, the thing was just within my grasp.

LaneDS

My phone has apparently been stuck in do not disturb mode for some time, despite the icon and setting being set to off. Anyone encountered this before? Not sure how to get it accepting calls again.

Edit: Rebooting apparently fixed it, but that was unsettling.

andycapps

I'll turn it off, see how it goes. I've only ever seen 3G in the corner, so I must not be in range for LTE.

LTE hasn't started rollout yet in Gainesville. It'll be sometime in 2013 most likely. I don't think turning it off has any impact on battery life if there's no coverage at all, just if the phone is straining to pull the signal in.

Delivery guy shows up with my iPhone 5 in hand, asks me for my ID and bank card to finish the transaction on the spot. I hand him my driver's license. (I lost a few cards from my wallet the week before, including my ID card.)

He notices that I made the order with my ID card instead of my driver's license and cannot finish the order. I have to change my identification method to my driver's license first, and then I can make a new appointment for delivery.

That sounds ridiculous.

Ashhong

What the hell? The delivery guy finishes ur transaction?

How does one make an order with an ID card? I always make orders with... bank cards.

LTE hasn't started rollout yet in Gainesville. It'll be sometime in 2013 most likely. I don't think turning it off has any impact on battery life if there's no coverage at all, just if the phone is straining to pull the signal in.

Ah, alright. Thanks for the information. Think I read an article that it would hopefully be done by the end of the year, but that's probably wishful thinking.

Grifter

Actually, it updates about 9:40 or so I have found.

Damnit, I've been checking after 10 all week. Thought that stock checker didn't activate 'til 10.

Tho it's been amusing to see stores hours from me have it in stock for minutes while I question my willingness to drive before refreshing again and seeing "out of stock" again.

Got my 30-pin to lightning adaptor.

Man this is smaller than I expected. NOt the lightning cable, the adaptor itself.

Was at the Apple store today and got a second lightning cable for the car. Debated about just an adaptor, but when the cable itself is only $19, and the adaptor is $30, it was a no brainer. There was also an adaptor extension cable I had never seen before. Lightning on one end, 30 pin on the other. But for $40 they can take a hike.

jcm

Was at the Apple store today and got a second lightning cable for the car. Debated about just an adaptor, but when the cable itself is only $19, and the adaptor is $30, it was a no brainer. There was also an adaptor extension cable I had never seen before. Lightning on one end, 30 pin on the other. But for $40 they can take a hike.

They ought to be ashamed of the prices they're charging for lightning cables and adapters. I really need at least two more cables, but damned if I'll pay $40 for them.

Honestly shocked that the lightning cable was $19. Was expecting $30 because of the adaptor price. But I only needed one for the car, the other is plugged in next to the bed. Tempted to get one more just for the computer because I am lazy and dont want to go to the bedroom for it when i need it.

LCfiner

While I won't defend Apple's margins for all these cables, there is a reason why Apple is charging more for the adapter than the USB cable.

The adapter has to have a DAC in there for analog audio out. so if that adds, say, a couple bucks to the BOM then it's gonna be more expensive on the shelf.

that said, I'd still like to see cables for, i dunno, 5 or 10 and the adapter for 15 or 20.

I'll be getting some extra cables once the chips that control the pin assignment have been reverse engineered and Monoprice starts selling reliable cables for cheap.

mrkgoo

Honestly shocked that the lightning cable was $19. Was expecting $30 because of the adaptor price. But I only needed one for the car, the other is plugged in next to the bed. Tempted to get one more just for the computer because I am lazy and dont want to go to the bedroom for it when i need it.
Guessing the adaptor has all the circuitry for dynamically assigning pin functions for various 30-pin accessories, such as controls, audio, etc, whereas the cable is just a USB to lightning cable that is gardeners for charging and syncing.

xnipx

Wouldn't it make more sense to just buy the adapter and buy some cheap cables off amazon? That's what I'm considering doing whenever my 5 gets here

Vyer

Cables are in line with cable prices in most brick and mortar retail. Adapter seems high, luckily I didn't need one.

Ashhong

Oh. I heard of some people getting free phones when they apply. Not specifically iphones, phones in general.

When they apply to open a contract? There are plenty of phones you can get for free when opening a contract, but they are older usually.

The only time your credit matters is if it's especially bad, then they will take more money from you upfront, so that you can't just stop making payments or something.

When they apply to open a contract? There are plenty of phones you can get for free when opening a contract, but they are older usually.

The only time your credit matters is if it's especially bad, then they will take more money from you upfront, so that you can't just stop making payments or something.

Yeah when you apply. I thought it was for any phone not old ones.

My credit is good so i don't have to worry about over paying for anything.

xnipx

How so? Then you are stuck with moving around the adapter. Just carry around the included cable then

Lol wut. No

I mean most of the accessories in my life are iPhone compatible already so buying a $30 adapter makes more sense and I have $2 iPhone cables and chargers laying around the house. And hunting for a charger when out and about seems especially hard for my friends with iPhone 5s since most people have a standard cable

Ashhong

Yeah when you apply. I thought it was for any phone not old ones.

My credit is good so i don't have to worry about over paying for anything.

Yea you should be fine. To clarify though, you wouldn't be overpaying. You would just be paying a little extra in advance.

I mean most of the accessories in my life are iPhone compatible already so buying a $30 adapter makes more sense and I have $2 iPhone cables and chargers laying around the house. And hunting for a charger when out and about seems especially hard for my friends with iPhone 5s since most people have a standard cable

Well but then you have to carry around the adapter still right? After hearing how tiny it is, I'd be worried about losing it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Well, after 4 years of never dropping any phone I owned on my kitchen tile.... I did it to the iPhone 5. Whoops! Ugh.

Got a few dings in two of the corners.
Back and front are still mint.

Ashhong

I thought AppleCare+ was for 2 extra years? Squaretrade warranty is same price I think for 2 extra years and 50$ deductible for up to 4 accidents.

dream

Well, after 4 years of never dropping any phone I owned on my kitchen tile.... I did it to the iPhone 5. Whoops! Ugh.

Got a few dings in two of the corners.
Back and front are still mint.
I did the same thing a few days after getting my iPhone 5, except mine was a 5 foot drop onto concrete. Nothing more than a dented corner.

Husker86

This is ridiculous. There is no way to know whether or not you'll need to replace it. The $99 effectively acts as a deposit because on its own it isn't worth anything

That's exactly what insurance is. If you only paid when you needed something then insurance would be a huge loss for whoever offers it.

That's why I opted out of going that route and will just pay the $200 to fix it if I break the screen, assuming that's still the "repair" price.

sruckus

What can you even do with it? I was just gonna let it decay in my closet.

Send it to Gazelle. I got $175 for mine and the home button was starting to get wonky and there were a couple imperfections and small glass crack at the very bottom. New iPhone 5 for $25 is good enough for me!

Top Bottom