• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Hari Seldon

So this is probably a noob question. I have my iPhone 5 syncing to my Mac laptop, but all of my music is on my Win7 desktop. Do I have to copy all of my music to my Mac just to get it on my iPhone or is there an easier way?

It is simply insurance. Depending on how many times you make a claim, the cost goes up. Not that hard to get.

That's exactly what insurance is. If you only paid when you needed something then insurance would be a huge loss for whoever offers it.

That's why I opted out of going that route and will just pay the $200 to fix it if I break the screen, assuming that's still the "repair" price.

There are two types of warranties that behave in similar ways, at least here in England.

• A monthly subscription with your carrier to cover accidental damage.
For electronic products,

• A one off payment for 2/3/5 years that covers accidental damage.

I guess this one acts more like the first point

So this is probably a noob question. I have my iPhone 5 syncing to my Mac laptop, but all of my music is on my Win7 desktop. Do I have to copy all of my music to my Mac just to get it on my iPhone or is there an easier way?

That's the easiest way. You either need to transfer those songs to your iPhone directly (but not via iTunes because it'll erase your current library), or transfer them to your Mac and then to your iPhone via iTunes

LCfiner

Easiest way is to sign up for iTunes Match and have all songs on all your libraries uploaded to the cloud and available on all devices. This way is pretty fast and not time consuming but costs money.

You can then download them onto the Mac and iPhone for offline listening and cancel iTunes Match for the following year if you no longer need streaming access.

jcm

I thought AppleCare+ was for 2 extra years? Squaretrade warranty is same price I think for 2 extra years and 50$ deductible for up to 4 accidents.

Nope just one extra year. Two total.

Every iPhone comes with one year of hardware repair coverage and 90 days of telephone technical support. AppleCare+ for iPhone extends repair coverage and technical support to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone and adds coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage due to handling, each subject to a $49 service fee plus applicable tax.

This is ridiculous. There is no way to know whether or not you'll need to replace it. The $99 effectively acts as a deposit because on its own it isn't worth anything

It serves two purposes. First, It's an extended warranty. For $99 you get an extra year warranty, which covers device malfunction. Second, it's an accidental damage plan. The $49 per incident charge is for damage that is not normally covered by the warranty. Think of it as a $99 premium and a $49 deductible.

If you don't buy AppleCare +, then you have to pay $229 for malfunction after the first year, or for accidental damage at any time.

Personally, I don't buy it, because I think paying $100 to insure $230 is a ripoff. Some people like the piece of mind, though, I guess.

Personally, I don't buy it, because I think paying $100 to insure $230 is a ripoff. Some people like the piece of mind, though, I guess.

technically, it isn't a $230 device. it's how much you paid for a subsidized device. It was really like $730 or something.

if you destroy your shit without a warranty, you'll find out just how expensive it is.

What are the odds of you breaking your iPhone? Not high. There's no scientific way for me to figure this out, so for simplicity sake, I will say it is a 10% chance. That means there is a 90% chance your $100 was wasted. In the 10% chance it does break, the warranty saved you $80 from doing your own replacement. If the math holds up, the chance of having 2 breaks would be only 1%. So there is a 10% chance that the AppleCare warranty will be worth it, and a 1% chance it will save you a lot of money.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Mine finally shipped today.

What's the verdict on cases? Who has one they really, really like? I know some people have posted about different ones, but do your opinions still stand?

As far as warranties go, I am going to get a Square Trade warranty. $94 for 2 years. Covers accidents. I'm terrible about water damage, so this will save me.

mrkgoo

technically, it isn't a $230 device. it's how much you paid for a subsidized device. It was really like $730 or something.

if you destroy your shit without a warranty, you'll find out just how expensive it is.

Yup. The phones is worth several times more than $200. I'm buying two iphone5 outright (32 and 64GB) and I'm paying nz$2550, about US$2000. (include tax).

Mine finally shipped today.

What's the verdict on cases? Who has one they really, really like? I know some people have posted about different ones, but do your opinions still stand?

As far as warranties go, I am going to get a Square Trade warranty. $94 for 2 years. Covers accidents. I'm terrible about water damage, so this will save me.
I'm using a $7 radio shack case. Really thin, and clear plastic. Barely adds size or weight to the phone while protecting it.

For those who care, this is what my batt life is looking like.

img1103p.png

Had a couple of hour-long conversations, a lot of web surfing and a little movie watching. Push/Pull/whatever you call it every 15 minutes and push updates for several other apps. Some app installs and updates. The usual thing.

So yea, that's what I'm getting on a full charge from zero.

$230 is the out of warranty repair cost from apple. See here.

Damn, the price went up for the iPhone 5? Still not worth it. You have to break your phone guaranteed at least once every two years to make it worth while to save some money and you don't save that much since the out of warranty repair isn't much more. Think back to how often you break your phone in the past to realize it's just better to pay the out of service cost if you break it than to resubscribe every two years.

Yeah, I haven't had much issue with battery life, but I haven't gotten anything close to the numbers I've seen here. Right now I'm sitting at 36% after two hours of usage and six hours of standby, which is the lowest output I've seen so far.

Well, after adjusting my settings, it has made quite the difference. Battery is at 41% after four and a half hours of usage and twelve and a half hours of standby. This is all on a brightness just over halfway, so I'm very pleased.

elsk

Banned
$230 is the out of warranty repair cost from apple. See here.

What happens if all the buttons of my iPhone (EDGE) are not working and I have a part of my screen not working (showing a grey block). If I send it to apple and I pay $149, they will send me a "new" iPhone EDGE?

Had a couple of hour-long conversations, a lot of web surfing and a little movie watching. Push/Pull/whatever you call it every 15 minutes and push updates for several other apps. Some app installs and updates. The usual thing.

Damn, these are some pretty crazy numbers. I'm still happy with what I'm getting, as its a marked improvement over the phone I used to have.

Vyer

Mentally I have a hard time including the $100 cost of AppleCare when factoring the worth. Obviously I should, and it is completely reasonable and logical to do so, but since its an upfront cost it becomes out of sight out of mind.

All I know is 15 months later if I mess up my phone I'll be happier paying 50 bucks for a new one rather than 200+.

Well I'd be more than happy with that. My 4 is currently on 8 hrs life with 3% left. Mainly just heavy Internet usage, couple of downloads.

What's your screen brightness at?

Mentally I have a hard time including the $100 cost of AppleCare when factoring the worth. Obviously I should, and it is completely reasonable and logical to do so, but since its an upfront cost it becomes out of sight out of mind.

All I know is 15 months later if I mess up my phone I'll be happier paying 50 bucks for a new one rather than 200+.

Dude, the secret to getting AppleCare is to exercise the heck out of it. Any small problem? Get a new iPhone. I had 5 iPhone 4s because of this.

Dany

Banned
This wa the second time that my phone froze and locked up when it was charging on my nightstand...what the fuck!?!

I'm glad I dont have anything till a few hours but dammit

Hoo-doo

Banned
How does one make an order with an ID card? I always make orders with... bank cards.

I had to identify myself online for the new phone contract, and I used my ID card.
Of course a bank card was also necessary.

And the guy finishes up the contract right at the door after checking my ID and receiving a signature. I didn't have my ID card though, so he took it away again.

But apparently everything is settled now and I can finally just use my driver's license. Expected delivery is monday morning!

MickD

Any options for pre paid iphones in america? I currently have virgin mobile, but no release date with CDMA. Not having the blazing fast internet isn't an issue, since the only time I won't be on wifi is while in my car.

plainr_

Yay. My iPhone's battery life seems to be just as good as yours.

Depending on how easy it is to open up the iPhone 5, home button fixes are pretty easy to do. I fixed my dads 3G in like 30 minutes, and that includes researching how to take it apart, etc. It was just a pin that seemed to get pushed down over time and refusing to make contact. This is assuming it's not drastically different now.

Not for the 4

That shit is hard. The whole phone has to come apart, this is first hand experience

andycapps

Ah, alright. Thanks for the information. Think I read an article that it would hopefully be done by the end of the year, but that's probably wishful thinking.

Probably wishful thinking. They may start getting faster with rollout due to more money via Softbank acquisition of Sprint this week, or the crews doing the conversions may just get faster from doing the same thing over and over. But Sprint's goal is that the entire network is done by end of 2013. It's actually a pretty ambitious goal. I doubt the whole network will be done then including all rural areas, but they could come pretty close and all rural areas will eventually be redone too.

What an absolute stunner of a phone. Pleased I went for the White this time to make it more of a distinct change from my 4. But it's so light and thin. Makes my 4 look ugly :(

Zilch

Banned
Ugh, it seems like it's still impossible to walk into a Verizon or Apple store and pick up one of these phones. Do I really have to order and wait 3-4 weeks?

I really, really wish Apple would add multitouch gesture support to the iPhone.

I feel like every time I push the home button, I'm one press closer to a half-broken home button like I had at the end of my iPhone 4's life. It basically didn't work. I'd have to press it hard or multiple times to get it to do minimize a window and opening the app tray thing was a crap shoot.

The jailbreak app Zephyr was a savior in that way as I could just swipe up to close an app, or swipe from the bottom to open the app tray. Unfortunately, there is no iOS6 jailbreak atm. Still, with how well zephyr worked...and even how well gestures work natively on the iPad, I'm just wondering why we don't have a home button-saving set of iPhone gestures yet.

Home button weakening over time is almost the singular reason why I'm considering buying an extended warranty.

Home button failed on my edge iPhone and was finicky at times on my 4. Activator came in real handy at those times and I really miss it for mapping iPod controls onto the volume buttons (rewind and fast forward). I really wish they'd implement something similar to SBsettings though, it's what I miss most each time I upgrade to a new OS

jcm

What happens if all the buttons of my iPhone (EDGE) are not working and I have a part of my screen not working (showing a grey block). If I send it to apple and I pay $149, they will send me a "new" iPhone EDGE?

Yes, that's the way I read it, as long as your phone didn't stop working due to catastrophic damage or unauthorized modifications. The terms seem pretty clear:

If you own an iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service, Apple will service your iPhone for the Out-of-Warranty Service fee listed below.

iPhone model Out-of-Warranty Service
iPhone 5 $229
iPhone 4S $199
iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS,
iPhone 3G, Original iPhone $149
A $6.95 shipping fee will be added if service is arranged through Apple and requires shipping. All fees are in U.S. dollars and are subject to local tax.

When setting up out-of-warranty service, Apple will request credit card pre-authorization for the maximum service fee listed above. This amount will be deducted from your credit limit. The final service fee we charge will be determined during testing and may be less than the service fee listed above.

Certain damage is ineligible for out-of-warranty service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications. However, an iPhone that has failed due to contact with liquid may be eligible for out-of-warranty service.

I guess the next question is why on earth would you spend $150 on an original iphone? You can get a used 3GS for less than that.

elsk

Banned
Yes, that's the way I read it, as long as your phone didn't stop working due to catastrophic damage or unauthorized modifications. The terms seem pretty clear:

If you own an iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service, Apple will service your iPhone for the Out-of-Warranty Service fee listed below.

iPhone model Out-of-Warranty Service
iPhone 5 $229
iPhone 4S $199
iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS,
iPhone 3G, Original iPhone $149
A $6.95 shipping fee will be added if service is arranged through Apple and requires shipping. All fees are in U.S. dollars and are subject to local tax.

When setting up out-of-warranty service, Apple will request credit card pre-authorization for the maximum service fee listed above. This amount will be deducted from your credit limit. The final service fee we charge will be determined during testing and may be less than the service fee listed above.

Certain damage is ineligible for out-of-warranty service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications. However, an iPhone that has failed due to contact with liquid may be eligible for out-of-warranty service.

Yeah, but my question is will they replace it with another OG iPhone or could I expect an iPhone 4 for example as replacement. Because if they give me another OG iPhone there really isn't much of a point.

Appleman

Yeah, but my question is will they replace it with another OG iPhone or could I expect an iPhone 4 for example as replacement. Because if they give me another OG iPhone there really isn't much of a point.

I have a bit of a hard time imagining them having a host of first gen iPhones still around for this, but you never know

jcm

Oh, you'll get back what you send in. No stealth upgrades, at least none that I've heard of.

I remember hearing about people returning their broken iPhone 4's to an Apple store and getting replacement iPhone 4S's

I stand corrected. Still, for $150, it's quite a crapshoot.

numble

Those that don't want to press the Home button can turn on "AssistiveTouch" in Settings under General > Accessibility. Basically replaces physical and multitouch controls with on-screen one-touch capacitative controls.

It also has on-screen controls for sleep, rotate/lock, double-click (for multi-task), shake (for undo), screenshot (so you don't need to press home+sleep) etc. There is a dedicated multitask button, but you can also tap the on-screen home button twice.

It seems to be very popular in Hong Kong for some reason.

Top Bottom