• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Home button failed on my edge iPhone and was finicky at times on my 4. Activator came in real handy at those times and I really miss it for mapping iPod controls onto the volume buttons (rewind and fast forward). I really wish they'd implement something similar to SBsettings though, it's what I miss most each time I upgrade to a new OS

Same. Every time I update phones, I miss:

SBSettings
Zephyr (for gesture closing of apps)
Browser Changer (setting iCab to default ftw)
Fake Location (for blacked out sporting events)
Facetime over 3G
Free tethering

the first 4 should have simply been implemented into iOS by now and I think it's a fucking shame they're not yet.

jts

...hate me...
Those that don't want to press the Home button can turn on "AssistiveTouch" in Settings under General > Accessibility. Basically replaces physical and multitouch controls with on-screen one-touch capacitative controls.

It also has on-screen controls for sleep, rotate/lock, double-click (for multi-task), shake (for undo), screenshot (so you don't need to press home+sleep) etc. There is a dedicated multitask button, but you can also tap the on-screen home button twice.

It seems to be very popular in Hong Kong for some reason.
I hate the home button, so I like this. It could be a bit tweaked though. But I'll give it a shot.

I wish Apple would just give me 3 finger gestures.

3 fingers swipe up: multitasking tray
3 fingers swipe down: exiting apps
Home button long press for Siri is fine though.

Remember when they had 4 finger gestures (a la iPad) in some betas? haha

Appleman

I hate the home button, so I like this. It could be a bit tweaked though. But I'll give it a shot.

3 fingers would interfere with multitouch apps too much, I think. I think the iPad gestures should even be bumped to five fingers for when apps use 4

Zephyr's solutions (default):

Flick up: close app (home button function).
Drag up: multitasking tray
Swipe from sides: switch to previous or next multitask app

works perfectly and drops the home button usage by probably 90%.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZEypDIqekQ (updated with more features since launch in 2011, of course)

jts

...hate me...
3 fingers would interfere with multitouch apps too much, I think. I think the iPad gestures should even be bumped to five fingers for when apps use 4
There's not too many iPhone multitouch (3+ fingers) apps that I can think of. Maybe instrument apps, but I don't use them to be honest. Or fruit ninja.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZEypDIqekQ (updated with more features since launch in 2011, of course)
I like it a lot. I just don't understand the flick up, wouldn't that get in the way of most apps? Other than that, yeah, give me that, Apple.

I mean it's such a pleasure to bring down the Notification Center. Why is it such hell to use the multitasking tray. Just use the same damn concept, damn it.

I like it a lot. I just don't understand the flick up, wouldn't that get in the way of most apps?

nah. it's a fast swipe from the very bottom of the screen to the middle. Really, you start the swipe from off the screen. It's never interfered with anything I was doing on the phone.

I remember hearing about people returning their broken iPhone 4's to an Apple store and getting replacement iPhone 4S's

Stores only do this if they have no stock. I had my iPhone 4 swapped 3 times little more than a month ago and the Genius Bar guy couldn't even conceive of the situation you mention. To the original posters answer, it's roughly the same deal; if Apple's service dept doesn't have the same model they would probably upgrade you. But it's entirely possible the warehouse always has old model stragglers in a box somewhere...

mf.luder

I remember seeing something about auto-brightness being a bit of a hiccup. Is this happening to anyone else? I don't recall if it was here or another board.

I absolutely love the phone, picked it up Tuesday of this past week. Have had each iteration of iPhone, with intermission of Nexus One and Nexus S sprinkled in. Very glad to be back.

Same. Every time I update phones, I miss:

SBSettings
Zephyr (for gesture closing of apps)
Browser Changer (setting iCab to default ftw)
Fake Location (for blacked out sporting events)
Facetime over 3G
Free tethering

the first 4 should have simply been implemented into iOS by now and I think it's a fucking shame they're not yet.

Dude. DUDE. I didn't even know of this. Having links in emails auto open in Safari when icab was my primary browser is so annoying. Oh! And I also miss inertial scroll, it takes way too many swipes for me to get to the bottom of each page :l

There's not too many iPhone multitouch (3+ fingers) apps that I can think of. Maybe instrument apps, but I don't use them to be honest. Or fruit ninja.

I like it a lot. I just don't understand the flick up, wouldn't that get in the way of most apps? Other than that, yeah, give me that, Apple.

I mean it's such a pleasure to bring down the Notification Center. Why is it such hell to use the multitasking tray. Just use the same damn concept, damn it.
you can actually map the swipe up function to open the multitask tray in Activator, hell you can map tons of gestures, but Zephyr does have the drag screen to switch apps ala the iPad which I really like the look of

noah111

Still Alive

The problem with Zephyr and why Apple would never implement it in that particular way, is that it very easily interferes with certain apps. That means you would need to have a settings configuration panel like Zephyr does, with a giant list of apps and check off/on which apps you want to allow the ability. Apple would never do that, and that's probably (unfortunately) for the better.

I think if they were to ever incorporate it (apart from a hardware+software solution ofc), it would be activated by a small portion of the screen, and not from the center. Like swiping up from the bottom right 44x44 pixels. That way it can't really interfere with any apps.

Zephyr's still awesome, though.

BTW everyone, I found out that re-calibrating the home button does fucking wonders. Sometimes it can get really horrible and unreliable, but I just do the recalibration and it feels like new. You hold the lock button until the 'slide to shut down' thing shows up. Then, you press and hold on the home button until the shut down slider goes away (takes a few seconds, keep holding). Been pretty helpful for me on my iPhone 4 in particular.

The problem with Zephyr and why Apple would never implement it in that particular way, is that it very easily interferes with certain apps. That means you would need to have a settings configuration panel like Zephyr does, with a giant list of apps and check off/on which apps you want to allow the ability. Apple would never do that, and that's probably (unfortunately) for the better.

Don't they already do that with Notifications and iCloud?

For those who care, this is what my batt life is looking like.

Had a couple of hour-long conversations, a lot of web surfing and a little movie watching. Push/Pull/whatever you call it every 15 minutes and push updates for several other apps. Some app installs and updates. The usual thing.

So yea, that's what I'm getting on a full charge from zero.

There definitely something wrong with mine then, im at 2 hours of usage, 4 of stand by and im at 65%.....

mrkgoo

Lol, here's my unholy adaptor chain.

FM transmitter (with firewire charging) -> Charge adaptor to allow charging for newer iDevices -> Lightning.

I'm ready, I just need an iPhone 5 now.

"usage" is very misleading. Usage can mean "listening to music", so it's kinda silly to compare unless you're doing the same things.

Personally my battery life is fine as long as I'm not streaming audio. When I do that it dies super fast, but it's always been like that.

Lol, here's my unholy adaptor chain.

FM transmitter (with firewire charging) -> Charge adaptor to allow charging for newer iDevices -> Lightning.

I'm ready, I just need an iPhone 5 now.

I have a battery pack with a small mini USB cable coming out of it, with a mini to micro USB connector on the end of that, with a lightning to micro USB connector on the end of that. Lets me listen to the radio all day and be OK.

Slavik81

Welp, I dropped my 3GS today. The screen is covered in a spiderweb of cracks (though surprisingly, it works perfectly despite that). I'd been putting off on buying a new phone for the past few months because I don't know which to get. Do I want a Galaxy S3? Or do I want an iPhone 5? It's driving me nuts. But I guess its time to make a decision and replace my phone.

Should I even bother to get the 3GS fixed?

Vyer

Welp, I dropped my 3GS today. The screen is covered in a spiderweb of cracks (though surprisingly, it works perfectly despite that). I'd been putting off on buying a new phone for the past few months because I don't know which to get. Do I want a Galaxy S3? Or do I want an iPhone 5? It's driving me nuts. But I guess its time to make a decision and replace my phone.

Should I even bother to get the 3GS fixed?

No.

Obviously, I prefer the 5 but that's going to come down differently for every person. Both are great phones. Either way, coming from a 3GS is going to be a revelation for you.

Hari Seldon

Wtf is this PoS iTunes Match apple? Keeps crashing my fucking iTunes during sync.

Edit: Solved the windows problem, now my fucking iPhone will sit here with the cloud thing with nothing going on in the progress bar and then do nothing.

Tobor

What's the best itunes alternative for transferring music and photos to/from the iPhone?

You don't transfer photos through iTunes. It's through iPhoto on the Mac, and Microsoft's photo import tool on Windows.

As for music, no idea. I use iTunes Match and don't bother with syncing music.

Why does doing a restore re-download the fucking software update again????? Its 1 gig!!! Jesus fucking Christ this company can be so stupid sometimes.

giga

Why does doing a restore re-download the fucking software update again????? Its 1 gig!!! Jesus fucking Christ this company can be so stupid sometimes.
Maybe you wanted to do erase all contents and settings? That option doesn't download and reinstall the OS. Restore is like a clean OS install, so they need to download the ipsw to do it.

Maybe you wanted to do erase all contents and settings? That option doesn't download and reinstall the OS. Restore is like a clean OS install, so they need to download the ipsw to do it.

They should just keep the software in itunes once you downloaded it the first time. Ive already done one restore and now they make me redownload it to do another one? Its ridiculous.

mrkgoo

I thought iTunes did keep it. Did you get a new computer or restore it from time machine or something? Or have they changed? I used to do restores and they never used to redownload.

I thought iTunes did keep it. Did you get a new computer or restore it from time machine or something? Or have they changed? I used to do restores and they never used to redownload.

I thought so too, but this is my second restore, one when i first got it, and its twice that it makes me download ios6. I didnt change computers or anything.

Plus if you count the update i did to my iphone4 before i got 5, its 3 times i download it!!

sh4mike

My wife and I don't have existing phone contracts and are looking to pick up a pair of iPhones. We don't talk much, don't text, and don't use much data. We're fine w/ a shared data plan.

Assuming coverage in our area (Marin county near San Francisco, zip=94904) is similar between carriers, what is the lowest cost (or best value) option?

Edit: We're fine w/ an older model iPhone if that makes a difference.

RevDM

Banned
My wife and I don't have existing phone contracts and are looking to pick up a pair of iPhones. We don't talk much, don't text, and don't use much data. We're fine w/ a shared data plan.

Assuming coverage in our area (Marin county near San Francisco, zip=94904) is similar between carriers, what is the lowest cost (or best value) option?

Edit: We're fine w/ an older model iPhone if that makes a difference.

If you don't talk, text, or use data... why do you want an iphone? Regardless, I think you can both get free iphone 4 from verizon if you sign up for the share everything plan

JCizzle

Those that don't want to press the Home button can turn on "AssistiveTouch" in Settings under General > Accessibility. Basically replaces physical and multitouch controls with on-screen one-touch capacitative controls.

It also has on-screen controls for sleep, rotate/lock, double-click (for multi-task), shake (for undo), screenshot (so you don't need to press home+sleep) etc. There is a dedicated multitask button, but you can also tap the on-screen home button twice.

It seems to be very popular in Hong Kong for some reason.

You are awesome.

sh4mike

If you don't talk, text, or use data... why do you want an iphone? Regardless, I think you can both get free iphone 4 from verizon if you sign up for the share everything plan
She wants one...

I'll pop by Verizon and ask about that plan. Thank you.

I just love this phone. Whilst it offers nothing particularly huge over previous models, it's the subtle nice improvements that make the iPhone 5 just a pleasure to use. The bigger screen is wonderful. But one of the biggest things I like about it is just how damn thin it is and light. Males the 4 feel like a brick. Very, very happy with it :)

I just love this phone. Whilst it offers nothing particularly huge over previous models, it's the subtle nice improvements that make the iPhone 5 just a pleasure to use. The bigger screen is wonderful. But one of the biggest things I like about it is just how damn thin it is and light. Males the 4 feel like a brick. Very, very happy with it :)

I have to agree. I'm surprised how big a difference having 5 rows per page makes.

It's a really nice phone.

gamma

I agree. The diplay, speed and lightness are awesome.

So you would rather have to swipe 3 fingers down than hit the home button once?

lolz

The 5 home button doesn't feel like its going to die like the 4 did. But I miss the swipe up to bring the multitask bar up from my old jail break, wish Apple would make it native.

RevDM

Banned
The 5 home button doesn't feel like its going to die like the 4 did. But I miss the swipe up to bring the multitask bar up from my old jail break, wish Apple would make it native.

Dude I know right. My 4's home button had to me smashed down for it to work. Had to retrain myself w/ the 5 to not press it so hard.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Guess I got lucky with my 4 because 2 years later the button is absolutely fine. I much prefer the 5s home button with a click to it.
My home button was all messed up too.

Anyways, just went from the regular 4 to the 5 and this is like a totally different phone compared to it. Lightning fast, I'm digging the extra horsepower, and the bigger screen. They only had 64GBs, so I'll never run out of space. I'm pretty excited to finally being able to play Infinity Blade 2, but all these apps need to get resized!

Can't wait for Crimson to release an iPhone 5 case. Gah. Ordered a cheapie case on amazon and an anti-fingerprint screen protector. Life is good.

Quick question, anyone have a link of how the battery is supposed to be managed? I think I seen something like it should be fully charged once a month or something. Also how long should the initial charge be when you first get it?

Ashhong

I thought so too, but this is my second restore, one when i first got it, and its twice that it makes me download ios6. I didnt change computers or anything.

Plus if you count the update i did to my iphone4 before i got 5, its 3 times i download it!!

You can save the IPSW that iTunes downloads and then put it somewhere. Then hold shift when you press restore and direct iTunes to that IPSW file.

Top Bottom