• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

njean777

My god trying to find the Verizon iphone 5 in Houston is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Finally gave up and just ordered it, and will wait for it to ship. I don't have the time to drive around this big ass city just to hear no we do not have any (called 40 Radioshacks also). The 4 week wait begins
:(.

Both my 3G and 4 were horrible to use by the end. It's as if they design the things to be unusable in 2 years...

In terms of OS responsiveness, definitely. I remember being blown away by how snappy the 4 was relative to the Edge iPhone, just like how I'm blown away by how fast the 5 is compared to the 4. But... 2 years from now, I'm sure the OS will somehow become so bloated that the 5 will slow to a crawl just like its predecessor :l

Performance-wise the 4 was still OK. I mean, looking back now it was a pig, but at the time I didn't hate it like I did my 3G. Man, that phone was hell by the end.

Epcott

My god trying to find the Verizon iphone 5 in Houston is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Finally gave up and just ordered it, and will wait for it to ship. I don't have the time to drive around this big ass city just to hear no we do not have any (called 40 Radioshacks also). The 4 week wait begins
:(.

I was told weeks ago by an Apple rep that Radioshacks and retailers besides carriers will not get them until sometime in November. Strangely, even the clerks in the 'ole Shack didn't know this fact as one clerk told me "Maybe our shipment comes in a week?" only to be corrected by another who said two weeks (truth is, both were wrong).

I ended up calling Sprint stores in my area to see if they had any or when their shipments arrived. Then I got lucky and found one in that had them in stock (I called around 9-10am) and told the guy to hold one for me. I happened to find mine in Bethesda MD, which probably isn't as crowded as Houston.

Good luck!

Performance-wise the 4 was still OK. I mean, looking back now it was a pig, but at the time I didn't hate it like I did my 3G. Man, that phone was hell by the end.

Do you have iOS 6 installed on your 4? I was thinkin of giving my 4 to my sister but I'm not sure whether I should wipe and restore to 6 or 5.1. If 6 makes the phone noticeably slower than 5.1 then I would opt for the latter

njean777

I was told weeks ago by an Apple rep that Radioshacks and retailers besides carriers will not get them until sometime in November. Strangely, even the clerks in the 'ole Shack didn't know this fact as one clerk told me "Maybe our shipment comes in a week?" only to be corrected by another who said two weeks (truth is, both were wrong).

I ended up calling Sprint stores in my area to see if they had any or when their shipments arrived. Then I got lucky and found one in that had them in stock (I called around 9-10am) and told the guy to hold one for me. I happened to find mine in Bethesda MD, which probably isn't as crowded as Houston.

Good luck!

I just wonder why everybody has the ATT models and Sprint Models, but trying to find the Verizon ones is impossible, it may be because either Verizon is really popular in Houston, or they are just not making enough of them. I just do not get it, plenty of people had the ATT ones or Sprint, but Verizon was nowhere to be found.

ant1532

Banned
I haven't read much about this gaf so please help. I've been gettin normal awesome LTE speeds from 20-30 mbps down until two days ago. Now I'm fucking getting 0.50 Mbps down. I do alot of data usage as I use spotify to stream but what do I do to fix this gaf!?

C Jones

Has anyone had the issue where the earpod remote (volume and play/pause) stopped working? Mine was working fine and now it has just stopped. I don't have any compressed air but I did try various methods for removing lint from the jack, but still nothing.

C Jones

I haven't read much about this gaf so please help. I've been gettin normal awesome LTE speeds from 20-30 mbps down until two days ago. Now I'm fucking getting 0.50 Mbps down. I do alot of data usage as I use spotify to stream but what do I do to fix this gaf!?

What carrier/plan do you have? On unlimited AT&T this happened to me too, because I got throttled. My phone was using a stupid amount of data over LTE in the middle of the night, so I was capped out within a week or so of my billing cycle.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I have AT&T too. Did you get it fixed? How? They can't really just cap you out like that can they?

They throttle your "unlimited" LTE connection to half megabit speeds after the 5GB/month mark. You fix it by paying more for a high cap limited plan.

C Jones

Fuuudge. So when exactly is the day the do it on? The first of the month? What are their high data plans like? Are they reasonable?
Sign into your account online (or create one if you don't have one already). It will give you the details of the billing cycle, including how much data you used and how many days remain in your current cycle.

ant1532

Banned
Thanks y'all. I'm bout to bookmark that data page on my phone so I will constantly be watching it now every month haha. haven't had a working iphone and forever and was not paying attention to this stuff. data capping sucks ducks

C Jones

Thanks y'all. I'm bout to bookmark that data page on my phone so I will constantly be watching it now every month haha. haven't had a working iphone and forever and was not paying attention to this stuff. data capping sucks ducks

Yeah I would monitor it. AT&T also sends you a free text message when you are about to hit the cap.

I haven't been in this thread much, but am I the only one that experienced excessive usage on AT&T since getting the iPhone 5/iOS6? Sure I've used a crazy amount of data per month in the past, but I always knew why. Within two weeks of getting iPhone 5/iOS6 I was over my cap, and on some days I used over 2 gigs and I don't know the reason. There are various threads on other forums about it (MacRumors, AT&T, Apple, etc.). Some people tie it to the crappy podcast app or iCloud - and I use both - but it seems no one knows for sure.

njean777

I have AT&T too. Did you get it fixed? How? They can't really just cap you out like that can they?

There is a reported problem with ATT iphone 5's using a lot of data for no reason, Verizon's were doing this also, but Verizon fixed the issue. ATT has not.

Just another reason I am glad I left ATT for Verizon.

Epcott

I just wonder why everybody has the ATT models and Sprint Models, but trying to find the Verizon ones is impossible, it may be because either Verizon is really popular in Houston, or they are just not making enough of them. I just do not get it, plenty of people had the ATT ones or Sprint, but Verizon was nowhere to be found.

Not sure, I do have to admit, Verizon has the better network. I've yet to see a 4G connection on this iPhone 5 with Sprint. But when I had an HTC Thunderbolt with Verizon, I'd almost always have 4G connection. That could be a reason people flock to Verizon iPhones.

But...

I'd expect the opposite to be true, and that it's easier to find Verizon and ATT iPhones, because both companies have been seeing an exodus of customers leave due to the data fees and limits.

If worse comes to worse, order an iPhone on Apples main site during the weekday between 4pm and 10pm and you'll get an option to reserve and pick one up from your local Apple Store if they have one.

njean777

Not sure, I do have to admit, Verizon has the better network. I've yet to see a 4G connection on this iPhone 5 with Sprint. But when I had an HTC Thunderbolt with Verizon, I'd almost always have 4G connection. That could be a reason people flock to Verizon iPhones.

But...

I'd expect the opposite to be true, and that it's easier to find Verizon and ATT iPhones, because both companies have been seeing an exodus of customers leave due to the data fees and limits.

If worse comes to worse, order an iPhone on Apples main site during the weekday between 4pm and 10pm and you'll get an option to reserve and pick one up from your local Apple Store if they have one.

Yeah I just ordered one and will wait for it to ship, I dont want to play that game of maybe they have them, maybe they dont. So I will just wait it out. But as far as people leaving ATT and Verizon, I have noticed more people going to Verizon more often then Sprint or ATT. Sprint in Houston is bad and you are lucky if you get any data that isnt their sloooooow 3g, ATT is better and does have faster speeds, but again you are lucky if you can get a decent signal. Verizon is the most consistent and you get signal everywhere compared to the other two. I have had all four, counting T-mobile, and Verizon was the last due to being the most expensive, but I get what I pay for, which is reception everywhere and constant 3g (iphone 4s).

ant1532

Banned
I hope they say somethingabout this at least to notice the concern, sheet. Anyways, today happened to be the last day of my billing cycle haha. So tomorrow should be gooood

ant1532

Banned
So what's the rough consensus on battery life here?

This is hard to answer for me. I keep my brightness on blast, LTE on, stream spotify all the time in my car using bluetooth, and text a good amount. My battery goes fast for me. I do a full charge overnight but need another charge in the day definitely if I'm using it like that(which i usually am).
Speedtest new personal best (Telstra Aus)

78.22 Mbps download
39.58 Mbps upload

Anyone know what the theoretical maximum is for LTE?

That shit cray

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Got a question for GAF:

I've been given a brand new iPhone 5. My aunt got it as part of her plan but as she already has an existing phone she doesn't need the 5 and asked if I would want it. I have an iPhone 4. I know that my current SIM card won't fit the 5 so I have to get a new one. I plan to go with another service provider and choose pre-pay as my plan expired a while back and I'm free to choose.

Here's the question: Since the iPhone 5 won't let me do anything on iTunes until a SIM is installed do I have to unlock the 5 first? Can I just get a pre-paid SIM and whack it in?

sruckus

Getting tired of these stupid lines that appear randomly with the keyboard. Fix it Apple.

I also can reproduce an annoying issue with the App Store app (surprise!) where if it's trying to check for updates (is focused on that tab) and you try to search it crashes the app.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
If LTE is supposed to just work if its in the area, that means I don't have coverage and I'm 30 minutes from Philly. Damn. Is there a way to activate LTE?

raven777

Yes, preordered full price on verizonwireless.com and got the iphone 5 on 9/21/2012

Is there minimum amount of time you have to fulfill month-to-month contract with them?

I tried to buy it at verizonwireless.com but I am not US citizen so I need to pay $400 deposit, and I don't know when I can get it back.

Is it possible for my friend, who has SSN to buy it and give it to me to use it?

blitz64

Is there minimum amount of time you have to fulfill month-to-month contract with them?

I tried to buy it at verizonwireless.com but I am not US citizen so I need to pay $400 deposit, and I don't know when I can get it back.

Is it possible for my friend, who has SSN to buy it and give it to me to use it?

Does your friend have a verizonwireless account? He should be able to buy it and give it to you right away at full price.
If you live outside of usa, you should wait until the unlock iphone comes out and skip verizonwireless all together. that unlock iphone should come out in usa sometime this month or next month.

Einhander

I finally jumped onto the smartphone train and ordered an iPhone 5. It'll ship to me between 2-4 weeks. The At&t store I went were completely out of them. The only cellphone I've ever owned was a Sprint flip-top, which was about 6 years ago. I'm excited to get it.

raven777

Does your friend have a verizonwireless account? He should be able to buy it and give it to you right away at full price.
If you live outside of usa, you should wait until the unlock iphone comes out and skip verizonwireless all together. that unlock iphone should come out in usa sometime this month or next month.

I do live in US, and my friend doesn't have verizon account. Does he need to have verizon acocunt to buy and give it to me?

My worry is that the unlocked version will only be GSM A1428 model, but I want the verizon's CDMA A1428 since I will be also using in Asia region.

Battery life from it's very first charge down to 0%:

Usage: 8hrs 40mins
Standby: 2 days 13 hrs

Mainly just internet usage over wifi and 3G. Had the screen on about 50%

I've turned screen brightness down to about 20% now because it's bright enough. Though the auto brightness doesn't seem to be working...

If LTE is supposed to just work if its in the area, that means I don't have coverage and I'm 30 minutes from Philly. Damn. Is there a way to activate LTE?
Where outside Philly do you live? I am in the KoP area and have 3-4 bars of LTE on Verizon. Also you may want to check that you have roaming data and voice enabled in the "Cellular" settings menu if your phone contract allows it.

Hoo-doo

Banned
So I finally receive my unit and it's a white one, when I explicitly ordered a black one.

Dear god. If it wasn't for this huge retail discount and free 10GB data upgrade I would have strangled these people through the phone.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Where outside Philly do you live? I am in the KoP area and have 3-4 bars of LTE on Verizon. Also you may want to check that you have roaming data and voice enabled in the "Cellular" settings menu if your phone contract allows it.

The Delaware area. Right in the edge of Wilmington. I'm kind of pissed I'm not getting any LTE.

Yep, my enable LTE function is ON, but still nothing. This is whack.

Hari Seldon

I really regret buying iTunes match. Fucking thing should still be in beta. Took me 4 hours to get it setup since Apple's asshole engineers don't believe in error messages when something fails so you have to guess at every god damn possible failure mode and look into it.

And now that it is "working", none of my playlists actually sink to my iPhone 5. So I have to go into the shitty music interface and wade through the thousands of songs I have just to make a fucking running playlist.

God damn Apple. This is fucking JV shit right here.

Top Bottom