• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

coldfoot

Banned
Went from AT&T 3.5G on the 4S to Verizon LTE on the 5. It's glorious, so much faster than AT&T. Feels like dial-up vs fiber internet.

i5mp7gndHAR00.PNG

Robot Pants

Might have been discussed in here already, but after two weeks I decided on getting a BodyGuardz HD screen protector. It's 15 bucks but you get two of them and a cleaning cloth.
Completely worth it in my opinion. It's great. The only con is that it really isn't measured and cut correctly. In order to properly center it around the camera hole, ear speaker, and home button, the right edge would be hanging off the side. So you have to adjust it but it still fits fine and doesn't cover anything up.

Tobor

I really regret buying iTunes match. Fucking thing should still be in beta. Took me 4 hours to get it setup since Apple's asshole engineers don't believe in error messages when something fails so you have to guess at every god damn possible failure mode and look into it.

And now that it is "working", none of my playlists actually sink to my iPhone 5. So I have to go into the shitty music interface and wade through the thousands of songs I have just to make a fucking running playlist.

God damn Apple. This is fucking JV shit right here.

Playlists work fine. All of mine have showed up from day one. Unless you mean smart playlists? Those don't work with iTunes Match. Regular playlists should show up automatically.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Which carrier do you have? Both Verizon and AT&T indicate they have LTE in that area.

Thanks for that.

I have Verizon. Time to bitch, I suppose. I even asked the sales dude if I had to pay extra to be added to the LTE network and he said I was included. What the effing hell.

edit: LOL; after physically checking the verizon website to my current address, turning off LTE and turning it back on, the LTE signal came back on. I also turned off cellular data and then turned it back on. Crazy shiz.

Hari Seldon

Playlists work fine. All of mine have showed up from day one. Unless you mean smart playlists? Those don't work with iTunes Match. Regular playlists should show up automatically.

Mine don't work. I go on my PC and make a playlist and it never shows up on my iPhone. I tried the same thing on my Mac. I mean regular playlists not smart playlists.

McHuj

Hopefully someone can answer this. I'm planning on switching from ATT to Verizon, but with shipping times ~3 weeks, how does number portability work? They're not gonna move my number until I get my new phone, right?

Tobor

Mine don't work. I go on my PC and make a playlist and it never shows up on my iPhone. I tried the same thing on my Mac. I mean regular playlists not smart playlists.

Stupid question, but it has to be asked. You turned on Match on both the computer and the iPhone?

Whoa. The screen on mine just freaked out. I was typing in something, and when I switched to the number pad there was a flickering line across the middle of the keyboard. It went away when I switched back to regular QWERTY, but I cant replicate it.

Seth C

Whoa. The screen on mine just freaked out. I was typing in something, and when I switched to the number pad there was a flickering line across the middle of the keyboard. It went away when I switched back to regular QWERTY, but I cant replicate it.

I've had it happen several times. Most often when I switch to numeric while entering my password for iTunes.

Appleman

I really regret buying iTunes match. Fucking thing should still be in beta. Took me 4 hours to get it setup since Apple's asshole engineers don't believe in error messages when something fails so you have to guess at every god damn possible failure mode and look into it.

And now that it is "working", none of my playlists actually sink to my iPhone 5. So I have to go into the shitty music interface and wade through the thousands of songs I have just to make a fucking running playlist.

God damn Apple. This is fucking JV shit right here.

I've had zero trouble with iTunes Match and think it's probably the best $27 I could possibly spend. Never having to sync music, never worrying or managing space, access to my entire library on any computer with iTunes or iOS device. So far it's been really awesome (barring the clean/explicit issue which I don't believe has been solved yet). I'm pretty sure even my smart playlists and default "Recently Added" ones are working too...

sangreal

Were you entering your itunes password?

Husker86

Unless you mean smart playlists? Those don't work with iTunes Match.

Smart playlists are all I use if I use iTunes, Apple got a free $25 from me. Had to go back to Google Music, which I would have stuck with in the first place had I bothered to check for third party Google Music apps that are actually nicely made before I signed up for Match. Oh well.

Tobor

Smart playlists are all I use if I use iTunes, Apple got a free $25 from me. Had to go back to Google Music, which I would have stuck with in the first place had I bothered to check for third party Google Music apps that are actually nicely made before I signed up for Match. Oh well.

If you have old MP3's, use Match to up convert them. It's worth the $25 for most people just for that alone. You can cancel and keep the higher quality stuff.

Hari Seldon

Stupid question, but it has to be asked. You turned on Match on both the computer and the iPhone?

Yeah because the changes I make on my PC show up on my laptop. This stuff is going to be great if it ever actually works.

I googled this and it seems like it is a fairly common problem. The solution is to turn off iTunes match and turn it back on again, but I don't want to do that since last time I tried that it took a day for iTunes match to come back on my phone.

Wiz

Having trouble removing a song from my iPhone.

I've unchecked everything in sync and the song still wont come off. I even tried swiping from the phone to delete and that wont work either. When I click on the song it wont play, so it might be a corrupted file.

How do I get rid of it?

Having trouble removing a song from my iPhone.

I've unchecked everything in sync and the song still wont come off. I even tried swiping from the phone to delete and that wont work either. When I click on the song it wont play, so it might be a corrupted file.

How do I get rid of it?

how are you managing adding songs to your phone?

Do you have only the songs you want in a playlist? If so, just remove the song from the playlist.

Worst case, I'd think you could remove the song from iTunes entirely and sync?

Wiz

how are you managing adding songs to your phone?

Do you have only the songs you want in a playlist? If so, just remove the song from the playlist.

Worst case, I'd think you could remove the song from iTunes entirely and sync?

I add them through their albums/artists. When I sync the entire album, there's two of the same track. One that works, and one that doesn't work and can't be deleted.

Tried removing the song from iTunes and it didn't seem to do anything.

Husker86

If you have old MP3's, use Match to up convert them. It's worth the $25 for most people just for that alone. You can cancel and keep the higher quality stuff.

You get to keep them? I thought the higher quality was just when streaming matched songs. Maybe I didn't lose $25 for nothing then.

Dead

well not really...yet
I bought a new Ipod Touch 5g, because...well, Im still not really sure why, and playing around with it is actually making me think maybe I do want an iphone 5...oh no :(

hyp

had the same happens to me yesterday. apparently it's a software issue. it better be!

pacman85

Is anyone having a weird issue with notifications getting sent twice for every single type of app or notification? Whether its a text message, ESPN notification or anything else, when my phone is locked the phone will vibrate/make a sound and the screen will light up but nothing will be on the screen. Then, only a few seconds later the phone will vibrate/make a sound and the actual visual notification will show up on the screen. This has nothing to do with the setting only for text messages as it is happening on every type of app's notification so its not that. I am on a 64GB iPhone 5 through AT&T. I don't remember having this issue on my iPhone 4 with iOS 6.0 beta so I think it may be an iPhone 5 problem. It doesn't matter whether I am on the LTE, 3G or Wi-Fi as it happens on all types of networks. Like I mentioned above too, it didn't seem to matter whether my phone was on silent/vibrate or the ringer was on and turned up. IT does seem the issue only occurs when my phone is locked however and not when I get a notification when it is unlocked and I am currently using it.

dorkimoe

Ok so when I got my 5 i was kinda like ehh did i need this? My 4 was starting to slow down drastically but the 5 was just a redesign, (well besides the internals obviously). Well after having to send my 5 back and use my 4 for about 3 days i can say yes..i needed it. This screen is so much more noticeably small after using the 5 for a few weeks...and its just ugh. i want my 5 back

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ok so when I got my 5 i was kinda like ehh did i need this? My 4 was starting to slow down drastically but the 5 was just a redesign, (well besides the internals obviously). Well after having to send my 5 back and use my 4 for about 3 days i can say yes..i needed it. This screen is so much more noticeably small after using the 5 for a few weeks...and its just ugh. i want my 5 back
Whomp whomp whomp

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I work 14 hour days use my LTE constantly and still have yet to need to charge my phone. It's the longest lasting phone I've ever had.

I'm getting the same out of my phone. I forgot to charge my phone last night at it was at 64% when i came into work and started to charge it.

Anyways. AT&T LTE is faster than my home wifi.

Appleman

Today was the first day I never had to plug my phone in due to turning off LTE. LTE at work guzzles battery since I only get two bars (despite working in the downtown core)

Top Bottom