• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

mrklaw

MrArseFace
just noticed this small print when looking at an iphone 5 Sim-free in carphone warehouse.

iPhone will lock itself to the network of the first SIM card that is used in the phone. Subsequently attempting to use it on any other network, for example by replacing the SIM card, may mean it becomes permanently unusable. SIM free iPhones can only be used with a UK-network SIM card, and will not accept foreign SIM cards.

is this true? I bought an iphone 4S sim-free for my wife on the basis that she can swap in a Japanese SIM card when we visit the in-laws and it'd work fine (because thats what I'd expect SIM free to mean)

but will it not work?

raindoc

just noticed this small print when looking at an iphone 5 Sim-free in carphone warehouse.

is this true? I bought an iphone 4S sim-free for my wife on the basis that she can swap in a Japanese SIM card when we visit the in-laws and it'd work fine (because thats what I'd expect SIM free to mean)

but will it not work?

i used three different networks/sims on my old 4 (bought sim-free in KSA). 2 regional austrian services and "3" in the UK while i was working in London. never had a problem.

Ashhong

Ugh I just can't decide on a case and it's coming in soon. I got a black one and really want something minimal. Thinking either a smoked TPU case or one of those clear superthin plastic cases. Anybody have recommendations? I can deal with no lip on the clear cases, just won't put my phone upside down

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
EE have announced their LTE price plans for UK GAF:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/22/3539628/ee-lte-price-plans

24 month contract
£36 (500MB)
£41 (1GB)
£46 (3GB)
£51 (5GB)
£56 (8GB)
Anyone looking for more data will either have to purchase additional add-ons when running low, or move up to the £60 business tariff which features 16GB of data.
Customers wanting to bring their own handset, meanwhile, will be able to do so from November 9th, as EE will also offer 12 month SIM only plans. The company says that those will be £15 cheaper than the 24 month plans, with prices starting at £21 per month. MiFis will also be made available, starting at £15.99 per month for 2GB of data.
And it seems if you already upgraded to an iPhone 5 you will have to pay £99 to switch to an LTE plan.

EE also let slip details of how existing Orange and T-Mobile customers will be able to move over to an LTE tariff. Anyone who has joined the networks recently and obtained a 3G handset — such as the Galaxy S III or HTC One X — will be able to swap to the equivalent LTE model for a one-off fee of £99.

RevDM

Banned
I agree...I'm usually at 15% by the end of the day. My 4s lasted me 3 days sometimes.

Agreed. Wifi is excellent, but as soon as I turn cellular data on I lose 1% every two minutes. It's garbage.

Turn your brightness all the way down. I think there is something wrong with auto-bright. Even with it all the way down, it will give you great viewing light with auto-bright on. If you have it half way up, it seems to destroy the battery.

Ok so when I got my 5 i was kinda like ehh did i need this? My 4 was starting to slow down drastically but the 5 was just a redesign, (well besides the internals obviously). Well after having to send my 5 back and use my 4 for about 3 days i can say yes..i needed it. This screen is so much more noticeably small after using the 5 for a few weeks...and its just ugh. i want my 5 back

I'm sorry, and I feel like a huge asshole for saying this, but this made me lol.

Aiii

So not worth it
But what do you use it for? If it's just web browsing, why do you even need LTE? The only use of LTE seems to be for high bandwidth stuff.

Agreed, if all you're using your telephone for is browsing, apps, spotify streaming, etc, then why even bother spending extra cash for a datacapped LTE plan?

You can pretty much do all you need to do on 3G speeds. Unless you're using your phone as a hotspot, I really don't see why you would need anything over a couple of mbit's worth of speed.

Bgamer90

Banned
I have LTE with a 200MB cap, and I'm happy with it. I mostly use wifi, and I'm happy to have a nice fast fallback.

Whoa... Do you use apps like Onavo?

Can't see how one could have LTE with a 200MB cap. That's barely enough for 3G (at least for me).

matt360

woah

what carrier allows you to do that without crippling your speeds?

I don't know about shadows, but here in Japan there are no data caps. But on the flip side, they only give you about 5 minutes of talking time per day unless you're on a family plan.

lupinko

I don't know about shadows, but here in Japan there are no data caps. But on the flip side, they only give you about 5 minutes of talking time per day unless you're on a family plan.

Oh a Japan question, since I'm planning on moving there next year, I wanted to know if you can get at least HSPA+ 4G, since I know my iPhone 5 can't use non-North American LTE due to the different bands.

And Apple has already shipped my iPhone 5, I should get it next week per their tracking.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Is it just me or this burning through battery really quick?

It looks similar to my results. I am wondering if there are any tips on preserving battery life? I turned off most notifications but I can't help but to think there's something more.

Espresso

Banned
It looks similar to my results. I am wondering if there are any tips on preserving battery life? I turned off most notifications but I can't help but to think there's something more.

Push e-mail used to murder my battery life until I switched it to Fetch only.

Has this been posted?

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/1...6-0-1-fixes-wi-fi-keyboard-exchange-glitches/

Apple may be rolling out a small update to iOS 6 in the next week or so, according to sources for BGR. iOS 6.0.1 is reportedly being tested by carrier partners in the US and should be ready by the time the rumored iPad mini is expected to ship, around November 2.

iOS 6.0.1 is designed to address several bugs, including screen glitches that appear when using the keyboard or folders (I have seen this personally on my iPhone 5), the LED flash not firing in some cases, sketchy Wi-Fi or cellular data connections, and unexpected access to Passbook details from the lock screen. The update should also add a control for iTunes Matching syncing via 3G/4G connections. Most importantly to enterprise users, there is also a fix for a problem with Exchange that can cancel an entire meeting when just one iOS user declines a meeting invitation.

BGR's sources said a more significant update, referred to as iOS 6.1, is also in the works. However, that update is apparently just now beginning testing internally at Apple and won't likely be ready in the next few weeks.

jcm

But what do you use it for? If it's just web browsing, why do you even need LTE? The only use of LTE seems to be for high bandwidth stuff.

Well, I wouldn't say I need it. Web browsing is much nicer on LTE, though, so I definitely like having it.

Whoa... Do you use apps like Onavo?

Can't see how one could have LTE with a 200MB cap. That's barely enough for 3G (at least for me).

No, I don't use Onavo. I use wifi 90% of the time, and I don't stream anything. 200MB is plenty for reading email, occasional web browsing, and RSS reading, and map navigation, especially since the vector maps are so lightweight.

Obviously, I can't stream away from home, ever, but I buy my music, so that restriction doesn't bother me.

Maybe I can turn wifi back on when they fix the issues. It sometimes stops working out of nowhere. I've been on LTE the whole time since October 1st and have used 2.2 GB. Glad to be unlimited.

Ok so when I got my 5 i was kinda like ehh did i need this? My 4 was starting to slow down drastically but the 5 was just a redesign, (well besides the internals obviously). Well after having to send my 5 back and use my 4 for about 3 days i can say yes..i needed it. This screen is so much more noticeably small after using the 5 for a few weeks...and its just ugh. i want my 5 back
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ebPsiEBXsHs

Nori Chan

8 days with the phone in my cart from AT&T and no news yet.

Am I supposed to be notified by like an email or something? Or am I supposed to check?

dorkimoe

Ok got my 3rd iPhone 5 now

This one had the loose battery. Luckily I had read about that, and knew what to do.

Also lol holy shit it smells really bad. It came from AppleCare and it smells like that gak stuff that I used to have when I was a kid. (No I wasn't just smelling my phone). I could smell it from just holding it.

lexi

Banned
Weird to see people are still having issues getting one. I literally walked into a Telstra shop last Wednesday and walked out with one.

matt360

Oh a Japan question, since I'm planning on moving there next year, I wanted to know if you can get at least HSPA+ 4G, since I know my iPhone 5 can't use non-North American LTE due to the different bands.

And Apple has already shipped my iPhone 5, I should get it next week per their tracking.

I'm not really sure what HSPA+4G is, so I'm gonna say Japan probably doesn't have it. I could be wrong though.

Agreed, if all you're using your telephone for is browsing, apps, spotify streaming, etc, then why even bother spending extra cash for a datacapped LTE plan?

You can pretty much do all you need to do on 3G speeds. Unless you're using your phone as a hotspot, I really don't see why you would need anything over a couple of mbit's worth of speed.

Yeah. I mean, I'd take it over 3G, but I wouldn't pay significantly more for it. And my 3G uncapped is more appealing than capped LTE for sure.

hyp

got about 9 hours usage on my last charge, phone was used moderately. 3-4 phone calls, LTE network use, 4G, and a lot of wifi. screen brightness at about 40%. very happy with my phone.

matt360

got about 9 hours usage on my last charge, phone was used moderately. 3-4 phone calls, LTE network use, 4G, and a lot of wifi. screen brightness at about 40%. very happy with my phone.

When you use wifi, do you turn cellular data off? About what percent of your 9 hours was spent on wifi?

Yesterday I tested my phone with 3G and LTE on and wifi off (I know it's not optimal, I just wanted to test it) and got 5 and a half hours of heavy use. Today I'm using wifi only and I'm still sitting pretty at 96% after over 1 hour of usage.

Is it safe to assume that as long as you get awesome battery life with wifi then there is nothing wrong with your battery?

Also, if you are connected to a good wifi signal, do you still need to keep cellular data turned off to save battery? Will your phone still be searching for 3G and LTE even if you're connected to wifi? Thanks.

Got sick of playing Apple's seemingly broken reservation game and just ordered my phones off Verizon's site. Now to play the waiting game. I got 2 white phones so hopefully that helps speed things up a bit.

lexi

Banned
LTE off said:
zG1Lv.png

LTE on said:

Found the cause of my battery issues. This is apparently a software issue being addressed in 6.1

Ashhong

Does anybody have pictures of a black iPhone in a thin clear plastic case? I know it looks good in white, but not sure about black.

hyp

When you use wifi, do you turn cellular data off? About what percent of your 9 hours was spent on wifi?

Yesterday I tested my phone with 3G and LTE on and wifi off (I know it's not optimal, I just wanted to test it) and got 5 and a half hours of heavy use. Today I'm using wifi only and I'm still sitting pretty at 96% after over 1 hour of usage.

Is it safe to assume that as long as you get awesome battery life with wifi then there is nothing wrong with your battery?

Also, if you are connected to a good wifi signal, do you still need to keep cellular data turned off to save battery? Will your phone still be searching for 3G and LTE even if you're connected to wifi? Thanks.

I left everything except Bluetooth on. I wouldn't worry too much, I say keep tabs on how long your battery lasts with general use and if it seems ridiculously low then you probably have a bad phone. I've gotten 8+ hours consistently since I got it at launch. Surprised that I got 9+ with this recent charge, and I had about 5% left before I plugged it in.

Ninja Dom

Another check in here. How are y'all's black iphones holding up? Scuffed to the max?

Also, any key apps that still haven't gotten updated for 5 yet?

Got a launch day Black 64GB so that's coming up to week 5 if having it. Love the phone.

No case, I use it naked and put the phone in a phone pouch before going in my pocket. No scuffs, scratches or marks yet.

The one MAJOR app that needs updating for me is Whatsapp. It's my most used app.

crispyben

GAF, I'm looking to upgrade from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5 (black), but between the battery horror stories, the Plans debacle and the Scuffgate, I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm in France, so no LTE/4G for me, but I'd still like to hear feedback after a month of everyday usage. Sorry, I don't have time to read all 237 pages... but I did read Anandtech's review, I'm just looking for real world impressions.

GAF, I'm looking to upgrade from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5 (black), but between the battery horror stories, the Plans debacle and the Scuffgate, I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm in France, so no LTE/4G for me, but I'd still like to hear feedback after a month of everyday usage. Sorry, I don't have time to read all 237 pages... but I did read Anandtech's review, I'm just looking for real world impressions.

I went from a 4 to a 5. Simply amazing.

I've had no battery issues, I got grandfathered in with AT&T so that wasn't an issue, and I honestly don't give a fuck about Scuffgate (in fact I welcome it with open arms).

The phone is just phenomenal. I honestly did not think Apple could improve on the design of the 4, I couldn't imagine them topping that form factory or design (and was actually fearful they'd switch to something far worse like the old iPod Touch design or that tapered prototype), but they did. It's light and fast as fuck and its sexy and feels good to hold and use. I love it.

bonesquad

Another check in here. How are y'all's black iphones holding up? Scuffed to the max?

Also, any key apps that still haven't gotten updated for 5 yet?

Launch day caseless black 5 here and the phone still looks just as good as the day it came.

The one major app I use that isn't updated for 5 and I havn't seen mentioned yet is Sparrow.

I got a minor scuff on day 1, somehow, magically, maybe.

Other than that, some unnoticeable wear and tear when you really look at it.

I'm going caseless, however, and saying screw it to any scratches, though. It's a phone, and if it gets really bad, I have AppleCare and suddenly have battery life issues. ;)

lupinko

If you have a black iPhone 5 and are worried about scuffgate, just do what I did and get the birchwood casey touch up pens for aluminium anodized material.

I mean, if it's good enough for an M16 rifle, it should be good enough for an iPhone. =P

Mairu

You probably won't have any battery issues if you can't get LTE anyways. Just turn LTE off and you'll be fine. My battery life has definitely been on the better side of people with LTE that have posted in the thread. I imagine it has something to do with LTE reception.

Top Bottom