• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

andycapps

I'm looking forward to the cellular fixes in 6.0.1. Occasionally I'll go through an area where I lose 3G for a minute, and then it seems to get stuck on 1X even after it switches to an area where it has 3G coverage. Have to cycle airplane mode and then 3G shows up. Hoping the cellular issue they're talking about relates to this.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, I currently have an OG Samsung Galaxy from two years ago and am eligible for an upgrade. I'm deciding between the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy SIII, so what are your thoughts on the two phones? My phone annoys me because it keeps crashing and hanging, so I'm not sure if this is an issue with all Samsung phones or if it's just because I've had my phone for two years now. I like the fact that the SIII has a larger screen, but I also like the iPhone's larger app library, and all my music is on iTunes so it would probably make it easier to sync up with an iPhone than an Android.

andycapps

Hey guys, I currently have an OG Samsung Galaxy from two years ago and am eligible for an upgrade. I'm deciding between the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy SIII, so what are your thoughts on the two phones? My phone annoys me because it keeps crashing and hanging, so I'm not sure if this is an issue with all Samsung phones or if it's just because I've had my phone for two years now. I like the fact that the SIII has a larger screen, but I also like the iPhone's larger app library, and all my music is on iTunes so it would probably make it easier to sync up with an iPhone than an Android.

Sounds like you answered your own question with the last sentence. My recommendation is to go with the iPhone 5. As far as why your current phone is locking up so much, it probably needs a factory reset. Any phone will become that way in 2 years.

Mairu

I have a coworker with the original Samsung Galaxy who is going to be buying an iPhone since he found out I don't ever have to restart my phone. Sounds like if you're bothered by your experiences with Android's stability and you're already comfortable with iTunes, might as well get an iPhone 5.

btkadams

well, it looks like i'm getting the 64gb white iphone 5 this weekend (if it's in stock). my mom has an upgrade and she said she would take my 4s if i paid the upgrade fee. i'm willing to pay for LTE. i hate my download speeds right now.

time to look at cases!

Vyer

A friend of mine was getting some cellular data issues where he would drop service very briefly at random times. He took it to the Apple Store and the did a restore, but not from the phone itself. They did it old school, through iTunes with a re download of the software with it plugged in. (He had already done a restore through the phone).

I don't know what difference that would make, but he says the problem went away after, do something to consider.

Aiii

So not worth it

Went from a 3GS to a Galaxy SII and am now returning to an iPhone 5. I too had issues with stability, smoothness of the OS, missing some apps I did get on my iPad and responsiveness of the touchscreen.

All in all Android isn't bad, it's just simply not as good as iOS and that's why I'm switching back to iPhone.

Ashhong

If you have a black iPhone 5 and are worried about scuffgate, just do what I did and get the birchwood casey touch up pens for aluminium anodized material.

I mean, if it's good enough for an M16 rifle, it should be good enough for an iPhone. =P

I would love to see how it matches

I got a minor scuff on day 1, somehow, magically, maybe.

Other than that, some unnoticeable wear and tear when you really look at it.

I'm going caseless, however, and saying screw it to any scratches, though. It's a phone, and if it gets really bad, I have AppleCare and suddenly have battery life issues. ;)
They test the battery.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks to everyone who answered my questions. Looks like I'll be picking up an iPhone 5. Too bad I'll have to give up my unlimited 3G and switch to LTE. :(

Wow, touchy touchy on the usage of gate. Fine ignore the term screengate, but this seems interesting given that they're using multiple sources for screens. Seems like some might be not up to par.

I fucking hate Edge. I wish I could just tell my stupid iPhone to stop connecting to it when I move around at work instead of staying on 3G. It never happened as frequently on the 4 as it is now, and it ruins my streaming radio.

matt360

It's become quite clear that wifi is the way to go if you want to conserve battery life, but here is my question. If I am in a spot with great wifi, do I still need to switch Cellular Data off in order to conserve battery life, or will the simple fact that I am connected to the wifi network be enough to conserve battery? I guess what I'm saying is will my phone continue to look for 3G and LTE signals even when I'm connected to a solid wifi signal?

goodcow

You can tether on the iphone 5 if you have unlimited data for free?

The unlimited data is $30 a month and mobile hotspot is an additional $30 a month add-on feature. I get 20% off from work, so I'm paying $48 a month for unlimited, unthrottled LTE with mobile hotspot.

sruckus

Another check in here. How are y'all's black iphones holding up? Scuffed to the max?

Also, any key apps that still haven't gotten updated for 5 yet?

Everything mentioned and Pandora. Pandora, I mean, really - how lazy do you hav to be to take this long? Especially for such a popular app.

Everything mentioned and Pandora. Pandora, I mean, really - how lazy do you hav to be to take this long? Especially for such a popular app.
They may have already been working on an update and either wish to complete that before expanding for iPhone 5 or combine the iPhone 5 update with it. It hasn't been very long.

matt360

I know that rattling iPhones seem to be pretty common, but what about a camera lens that is actually loose to the touch? I don't think the lens is in danger or falling off, but it is definitely loose. Replace?

Marco1

Could anyone recommend a really nice leather ip5 sleeve as I am fed up with using cases that hide the form factor and beauty of the ip5.
I must spend more on cases than phones.

Dez

When I go into my photo gallery now all my pictures are blury/low resolution. Any ideas?

Had this problem too after setting up the phone from an iCloud backup. Didn't really have a solution - wasn't able to export the photos to iPhoto either. Had to restore the phone from an iTunes backup.

ecurbj

I wouldn't worry about it, also don't go near the macrumours forums, those guys are nuts.
You know, I'm a member over there. And I feel like they worship the shit out of Apple products. Being on that site and reading the various different stories on how the iPhone needs to be in perfect condition and not have an imperfections made me to that character. Sort of a cult. Those members seriously have problems. I very rare visit that site anymore.

Marco1

You know, I'm a member over there. And I feel like they worship the shit out of Apple products. Being on that site and reading the various different stories on how the iPhone needs to be in perfect condition and not have an imperfections made me to that character. Sort of a cult. Those members seriously have problems. I very rare visit that site anymore.

I meant no offence but you described that forum perfectly.
Personally I think that if you look close enough at anything you will find issues but the scuffs don't bother me as most of them are so small they're hard to see. Also even if I did go through 5-10 boxes looking for the perfect on, chances are that I'll drop it as soon as I leave the store.

Aiii

So not worth it

You pretty much described every Apple fansite/blog on the planet right there. I mean, I love my iOS products, but it's still just a piece of hardware.

The past few days I've noticed that even though I'm connected to wifi, I seem to not actually be able to do anything that uses the internet connection. If I turn wifi off and use LTE everything works fine. I've tried it on multiple networks, so I know it's something with my phone and not my router.

The past few days I've noticed that even though I'm connected to wifi, I seem to not actually be able to do anything that uses the internet connection. If I turn wifi off and use LTE everything works fine. I've tried it on multiple networks, so I know it's something with my phone and not my router.

For the time being, turning my phone off and restarting it seems to have fixed things. Weird that trying to put it in airplane mode and back didn't though.

andycapps

I fucking hate Edge. I wish I could just tell my stupid iPhone to stop connecting to it when I move around at work instead of staying on 3G. It never happened as frequently on the 4 as it is now, and it ruins my streaming radio.

Happens to me too. Except it's when I'm driving. I'll miss 3G for a few seconds and go to Edge, then it gets stuck on Edge for multiple towers unless I do airplane mode.

ChanHuk

Banned
So it looks like I'm getting the dreaded WiFi bug that requires a hard reset. My WiFi signal will be one bar even though I'm standing next to my router. Hard reboot and things go back to normal. Checked my cellular usage and I'm at 1.1GB even though I'm on WiFi about 70% of the time.

tmdorsey

So it looks like I'm getting the dreaded WiFi bug that requires a hard reset. My WiFi signal will be one bar even though I'm standing next to my router. Hard reboot and things go back to normal. Checked my cellular usage and I'm at 1.1GB even though I'm on WiFi about 70% of the time.

Got that for the first time last night as well. Yeah they need to go ahead and put out 6.0.1.

Top Bottom