• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Branson

So it looks like I'm getting the dreaded WiFi bug that requires a hard reset. My WiFi signal will be one bar even though I'm standing next to my router. Hard reboot and things go back to normal. Checked my cellular usage and I'm at 1.1GB even though I'm on WiFi about 70% of the time.

I've had that a couple of times as well. One bar. When I usually get full. Only way to fix it is to reset.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Glad they fixed that wifi using 3G bug. First 4 days of my cycle (before it was fixed) it said I used 2.5GB of my 6. 3 weeks later (since fix) I am at 2.99GB.

I was confused at how I was using so much data before they noted there was a bug.

It's been happening quite a bit that my iPhone 5 completely freezes and the screen becomes unresponsive. It usually happens when watching something in the safari browser or sending a text. Then I need to click the home button. At that point I can barely swipe to the next page of icons. I need to lock the phone and go back to my home screen. That's essentially a temporary fix. I was able to take a video of the issue. I'm thinking of just bringing it to apple store and see what they say ...

Husker86

It's been happening quite a bit that my iPhone 5 completely freezes and the screen becomes unresponsive. It usually happens when watching something in the safari browser or sending a text. Then I need to click the home button. At that point I can barely swipe to the next page of icons. I need to lock the phone and go back to my home screen. That's essentially a temporary fix. I was able to take a video of the issue. I'm thinking of just bringing it to apple store and see what they say ...

Have you done a reset/restore? Because that's the first thing they'll do (I think).

Gannd

Banned
The accounting software and my CRM software suite work with the iPhone/iPad so I'm picking one up. How bad is the scratching on the black iPhone? Do I deferentially need a case? One of my problems with Apple is that they create beautiful phones and then people put a case on them and they're ugly.

I just won't be someone who can afford a new phone every year so I want it to last 2 years. The perils of being a small business owner.

I have this same exact problem. Been considering going back to the store but they'll probably be dismissive and tell me to reboot my phone if it happens again.

The accounting software and my CRM software suite work with the iPhone/iPad so I'm picking one up. How bad is the scratching on the black iPhone? Do I deferentially need a case? One of my problems with Apple is that they create beautiful phones and then people put a case on them and they're ugly.

I just won't be someone who can afford a new phone every year so I want it to last 2 years. The perils of being a small business owner.

I have the white, and I'm with you on the cases. I just don't dig resorting to hiding my electronics behind ugly plastic because they lack durability.
Mine has held up great so far.

LCfiner

Got a black and i think I've been lucky so far. running without a case for over a week and there's no scratches or scuffs. I just keep it in a pants pocket with no keys or change.

Lately my wi-fi has taken a shit as well. When I first got it I would get like 10-12 mb on my 50mb connection at home. Now I'm lucky if I get 1mb. I ran a test just now at work where we have 15mb connection and I got 0mb on both download and upload. SMH. Apple is aware something is wrong aren't they?

jcm

I'ma a militant anti-case crusader, and I have a black. Sadly i lost a big chunk of paint right on the corner when I dropped it. If you're the kind of person this will bother a lot, you might want to get a white or use a case. As for me, non, je ne regrette rien.

1Apwj.jpg

Gannd

Banned
If I'm going to spend $400 on the phone, I am going to be so anal and if I drop it, I'll freak out. Just, getting an iPhone and slapping a case on it feels so....wrong.

MRORANGE

I'm really tempted to cancel my iPhone order since I have got my iPad Mini for next week, I am going to use it as my apps/media hub.

I doubt icloud features can sway me as I will always have a phone and ipad with me so it's a bit redundant.

any other reasons why I should get a iphone to complement the ipad mini?

just looking at other 4g/LTE phones.

PS: Tethering is super super important to me, if there is some backwards reason why i can't do it I might as well get a iphone.

Gannd

Banned
I'm really tempted to cancel my iPhone order since I have got my iPad Mini for next week, I am going to use it as my apps/media hub.

I doubt icloud features can sway me as I will always have a phone and ipad with me so it's a bit redundant.

any other reasons why I should get a iphone to complement the ipad mini?

just looking at other 4g/LTE phones.

How much are you going to spend on another phone? $200? That's the price of the iPhone 5.

Iacobellis

Out of nowhere my phone stopped playing sounds in the Messages app. Phone isn't on mute, volume is up, every other app "just works".

Any light to shed on this issue?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm picking up my new phone tonight, is there anything I should be checking for/settings I should turn on or off when I get it? Should I try to run down the battery as soon as I get it full charged? I'll be on Sprint btw.

Pachimari

I don't understand this. My 1 month old iPhone 5 has small scratches everywhere on the front glass but you can only see them if light reflects off it. I have not had anything else in my pocket beside my iPhone 5. =/

Ugh.

Tankshell

Either iOS 6.0.1 comes out soon or I'm just going to restore the phone.

Make sure you do a hard reset (press and hold the home button and keep it held along with the power button untill the device reset, and still keep it held untill the apple logo comes back up. Hard reset does not loose any data don't worry =0)

Iacobellis

Make sure you do a hard reset (press and hold the home button and keep it held along with the power button untill the device reset, and still keep it held untill the apple logo comes back up. Hard reset does not loose any data don't worry =0)

Already did that, then a normal power off and power on again. Neither worked.

I don't understand this. My 1 month old iPhone 5 has small scratches everywhere on the front glass but you can only see them if light reflects off it. I have not had anything else in my pocket beside my iPhone 5. =/

Ugh.
The build quality of the phone definitely seems to be lower than the 4 in general. I've coddled this phone. It sits in my pocket most of the time and I carefully set it down when I'm done using it and it still picked up a bunch of nicks and scratches along the chamfered edge. There are three small visible scratches on the lower glass plate as well. My 4 held up amazingly well over the course of two years in comparison. I'm still not slapping a case on this thing though. The size, weight and design are far too appealing to slap a cheap case on it

Husker86

Ugh.

Those are scratches in the oleophobic coating; I've seen them on every phone/tablet I've used including 2 iPads and the iPhone 4. I'm sure I'll see them on my 5 soon.

I know some people say there are absolutely no scratches on their year+ old phone, but I bet there are those scratches that you can only see at an angle if the phone has oleophobic coating (unless it all wore off!).

Nah, I discount the scratches in the coating, I know those are there on my 4. I'm talking about major surface scratches, the kind that I can feel with a fingernail. Disappointing cause I thought this was supposed to be Gorilla Glass 2 or something

Pachimari

Those are scratches in the oleophobic coating; I've seen them on every phone/tablet I've used including 2 iPads and the iPhone 4. I'm sure I'll see them on my 5 soon.

I know some people say there are absolutely no scratches on their year+ old phone, but I bet there are those scratches that you can only see at an angle if the phone has oleophobic coating (unless it all wore off!).

Oh, so nothing to worry about. Cause I really hope my iPhone 5 can last me 3 years. :)

I were just amazed discovering it as I had been taken good care of it. My chamfered edges and backside don't have scratches at all lol.

Raelson

Had amazing luck. Just walked in to the only Apple store in my country, and they had some in stock. Apparently you had to reserve, but they made an exception for me.

Amazingly beautiful phone without scuffs or any problems.

Ashhong

Shipping update finally! Getting mine on Tuesday :D

Sucks though because I can't activate it until the 16th since T-mobile doesn't prorate your bill if you port your number. How will I resist not using it for over 2 weeks? Fuuuuuuu

Had amazing luck. Just walked in to the only Apple store in my country, and they had some in stock. Apparently you had to reserve, but they made an exception for me.

Amazingly beautiful phone without scuffs or any problems.

Odd, no mention of reserving at my Apple store. I just confirmed they had the one I wanted in stock (16GB White, AT&T) then sold my iPhone 4 at the kiosk in the food court ($130 for an iPhone 4 32GB with a dying battery and dead camera) then back to Apple to get my new phone.

I planned on waiting for the iPhone 5-2 or S or whatever they'll call it, but my 4 wasn't long for this world and I can't live without my cell phone. My next purchase will be an iPod Nano, as I believe me using my iPhone as an iPod and the almost-daily battery drains and recharges over the last two years led to its demise.

My only complaint about the iPhone 5 is they didn't make it wider. The added length of the device just seems odd considering the width is almost the same as the 4.

Also, my white iPhone 5 has me wanting a white iPad Mini. Must be strong, though. The wallet took an unexpected hit with the iPhone purchase plus it's got the Wii U launch and Christmas to endure...

So I'm surprisingly getting this phone within the month, after having survived with a 3GS for the past few years. Loved my phone, but it's definitely on its deathbed (battery dies at around 70% now).

I'm getting the black iPhone 5 and I would like to get either a bumper or a (gel) case. I had this black iSpeck gel case for my 3GS:

iskin-iphone-case.jpg

I loved it because it blended into the phone fairly well and did wonders for grip (both in hand and on desks/tables).

Anyone have any recommendations for something that can do the same for the 5?

Dreaver

After 5 weeks of waiting I FINALLY got my iPhone 5. Woohoo!
Great phone so far! Day and night change compared to my old HTC Desire.
Sucks though, I have to wait another 4 weeks for my number to be transferred, so I need to carry my old Desire so I can call...

Ashhong

Odd, no mention of reserving at my Apple store. I just confirmed they had the one I wanted in stock (16GB White, AT&T) then sold my iPhone 4 at the kiosk in the food court ($130 for an iPhone 4 32GB with a dying battery and dead camera) then back to Apple to get my new phone.

I'm not sure why you think it's odd that an Apple Store in a different country from you has a different policy. They must have huge demand, being the only Apple Store, so a reserve system sounds like a good plan.
After 5 weeks of waiting I FINALLY got my iPhone 5. Woohoo!
Great phone so far! Day and night change compared to my old HTC Desire.
Sucks though, I have to wait another 4 weeks for my number to be transferred, so I need to carry my old Desire so I can call...

Same here man. Luckily I only have to wait 2 weeks and I'm using a Galaxy S2 that runs perfectly.

Gotta give Apple props for the build quality of the 5. I've dropped it 4-5 times now, on hardwood floor, tile, and concrete, typically from waist to chest level, and the only damage I've picked up are a few small nicks / scuffs. I don't want to jinx it or anything but goddamn, gotta love that metal enclosure. This phone is durable.

(Though I may just be lucky, as my 4 got the shit kicked out of it over 2 years, falling on tile, concrete, gravel, flying out of my hand onto cement, and once shooting out of my pocket and hitting two metal railings before hitting the sidewalk, and it never even cracked. It even fell into a sink and BROKE THE SINK.)

Top Bottom