• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Whooter

Gotta give Apple props for the build quality of the 5. I've dropped it 4-5 times now, on hardwood floor, tile, and concrete, typically from waist to chest level, and the only damage I've picked up are a few small nicks / scuffs. I don't want to jinx it or anything but goddamn, gotta love that metal enclosure. This phone is durable.

(Though I may just be lucky, as my 4 got the shit kicked out of it over 2 years, falling on tile, concrete, gravel, flying out of my hand onto cement, and once shooting out of my pocket and hitting two metal railings before hitting the sidewalk, and it never even cracked. It even fell into a sink and BROKE THE SINK.)

Remind me to never let you use my phone. ;-)

Khar

I don't like a permanent case on my phone so I always use a pouch.

A thin microfibre pouch adds minimal bulk but provides from keys or grit in your pocket. Best of both worlds I think. You're not left with a clunky ugly case; just fold up the pouch and shove it back in your pocket when you're using the phone.

RevDM

Banned
Been a couple weeks using the phone. At first I was unimpressed, but I've noticed several things that I really appreciate since upgrading from the 4.

- the speaker quality is phenomenal
- the weight of the phone is awesome, especially since I have it clipped to scrub pants. It doesn't pull my pants down
- the front facing camera makes pictures look less awkward.
- the extra screen space makes web viewing on safari way more tolerable + landscape full screen is nice. This option should also be available I'm portrait.

Things I don't like
- lightning charger. It's actually more difficult to get in, especially in the dark (that's what she said)
- the screen is a little too tall for totally comfortable one hand use
- not a fan of headphone jack on bottom

Gotta give Apple props for the build quality of the 5. I've dropped it 4-5 times now, on hardwood floor, tile, and concrete, typically from waist to chest level, and the only damage I've picked up are a few small nicks / scuffs. I don't want to jinx it or anything but goddamn, gotta love that metal enclosure. This phone is durable.

(Though I may just be lucky, as my 4 got the shit kicked out of it over 2 years, falling on tile, concrete, gravel, flying out of my hand onto cement, and once shooting out of my pocket and hitting two metal railings before hitting the sidewalk, and it never even cracked. It even fell into a sink and BROKE THE SINK.)

The hell? Do you rub Crisco on your hands everyday? I haven't dropped my 4 on the floor once in over 2 years.

Tabris

Long story: So I bought my iPhone5 at launch at the Apple Store for full price because I was still under contract. They weren't selling unlocked versions so I got a locked version to Fido which means Fido charges you for it. They add it to your next month invoice. I checked my monthly invoice for this month and it was $120 with a bunch of weird text message charges. I called up Fido and mentioned the charges. They transferred me to their next level support department and looks like there was an issue with my invoice. They waived the $50 bucks in text message charges and ensured I had unlimited text messaging. I felt a bit guilty so I mentioned my iPhone and in a low voice, he said "don't worry about it, you won't be charged". I didn't want to push but I checked "Is my contract the same?" and he said yes. So I don't need to pay for my iPhone5 and will be able to pay the subsidized cost for iPhone5S/6.

Short story: $900 (w/ tax) iphone for free :)

NYR

Long story: So I bought my iPhone5 at launch at the Apple Store for full price because I was still under contract. They weren't selling unlocked versions so I got a locked version to Fido which means Fido charges you for it. They add it to your next month invoice. I checked my monthly invoice for this month and it was $120 with a bunch of weird text message charges. I called up Fido and mentioned the charges. They transferred me to their next level support department and looks like there was an issue with my invoice. They waived the $50 bucks in text message charges and ensured I had unlimited text messaging. I felt a bit guilty so I mentioned my iPhone and in a low voice, he said "don't worry about it, you won't be charged". I didn't want to push but I checked "Is my contract the same?" and he said yes. So I don't need to pay for my iPhone5 and will be able to pay the subsidized cost for iPhone5S/6.

Eh...I wouldn't trust a call center rep to say you are getting a free phone, you'll likely be billed shortly...

Tabris

Eh...I wouldn't trust a call center rep to say you are getting a free phone, you'll likely be billed shortly...

Well it was their customer retention/loyalty department I was transferred to.

If I do have to pay big deal, I was budgeting anyways, but it looks like I won't be charged (nothing updated on my invoice)

amrihua

I ordered mine on Oct 1 and it still not here and SoftBank has no clue when it might arrive. They say the 32GB model is the most popular, I might need to wait another week to 10 days.

For those of you who ordered a 32GB iPhone 5, how long did it take until you received it?

matt360

I ordered mine on Oct 1 and it still not here and SoftBank has no clue when it might arrive. They say the 32GB model is the most popular, I might need to wait another week to 10 days.

For those of you who ordered a 32GB iPhone 5, how long did it take until you received it?

Are you in Japan? I was lucky enough to get mine on launch day through Softbank but a co-worker who preordered the day after the iPhone 5 came out had to wait 1 month to get his. So, maybe a month? 64GB should be a shorter wait.

The hell? Do you rub Crisco on your hands everyday? I haven't dropped my 4 on the floor once in over 2 years.
Well, a few of the times the 4 wasn't in my hands. It fell off a shelf into the sink, and it flew out of my gym shorts the time it hit the railings and sidewalk. With the 5 I've only legit dropped it once or twice, all the other times were "missed my pocket" drops and, once, fell through a hole in my pocket. :T

Still, just goes to show their build quality is excellent. The only time I've ever legit shattered an iPhone screen was when a coworker threw a box at me, missed, and it knocked my 3G off a microwave into tile floor.

ecurbj

This story doesn't make any sense? Did you or did you not buy an iPhone 5?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Mmmm love my new phone. Went to best buy and did their special deal where you buy a new case and screen protector and it only costs fifty bucks and they apply the screen protector for free! Always hated putting those on and they have it down to a science. Ended up going with a nice Belkin Sheer green trim case with the extreme screen protector that supposedly can withstand a hit from a hammer....

Won't test that theory but ill take their word for it.

ecurbj

I bought my iPhone and wasn't invoiced for it on my next bill due to an invoicing mistake.

i.e. it's a happy story about getting an iPhone5 for free.
But you bought the iPhone out your pocket for $900. When you buy it outright your being charged for it. $900.

Natetan

i ordered mine about a month ago and just got a call today from my softbank. I ordered mine before the big chinese holiday so the factories where closed and demand built up. Hopefully wont take as long now.

JayDub

So I just saw some "skins" or "stickers" from Stickerboy.net. ITS EFFIN AMAZING, I dont need a case after all! Looks like I have nothing at all!

tumblr_llaxvkrR3X1qbkdxgo1_500.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erf3vbkr3sc

Tabris

But you bought the iPhone out your pocket for $900. When you buy it outright your being charged for it. $900.

Nope. Up here in Canada when you go to a store to buy a locked phone, you're charged on your first (if new contract) or next month's invoice/bill for the phone.

Ashhong

That does look pretty nice. I wonder how easy it is to get it on, I have so much trouble with the clear ones.

edit: also, do you have a link to that specific one? I can't find it

JayDub

That does look pretty nice. I wonder how easy it is to get it on, I have so much trouble with the clear ones.

edit: also, do you have a link to that specific one? I can't find it

Link

There's 2 versions, the graphite which has a bronze hue at certain angles, and its (IMO) more true black. The ones pictured is "slate black" which has a blue hue.

Also, check this link: for better pics.

Its a dry application, so no air bubbles or anything. Imagine putting on a sticker, exactly the same thing. Not like the wet application for the clear skins. And the speaker holes are a 100% fit. Its so awesome. It even has the cutouts for the screw holes.

Ashhong

Link

There's 2 versions, the graphite which has a bronze hue at certain angles, and its (IMO) more true black. The ones pictured is "slate black" which has a blue hue.

Also, check this link: for better pics.

Its a dry application, so no air bubbles or anything. Imagine putting on a sticker, exactly the same thing. Not like the wet application for the clear skins. And the speaker holes are a 100% fit. Its so awesome. It even has the cutouts for the screw holes.

Says that it can be installed via wet or dry application, is that just the front? A dry install scares me, wouldn't that require a perfect application the first time you put the sticker on the phone? I need to move it around a lot when I do the wet applications.

edit: hmm i might just get the sides. Does the back of the iPhone get scratched and scuffed as well? Or is it mostly the sides? Is it the Slate Jet Black Brushed that matches the sides of the black i5?

http://www.stickerboy.net/collectio...roducts/metal-series-iphone-5-side-wrap-skins

JayDub

Says that it can be installed via wet or dry application, is that just the front? A dry install scares me, wouldn't that require a perfect application the first time you put the sticker on the phone? I need to move it around a lot when I do the wet applications.

edit: hmm i might just get the sides. Does the back of the iPhone get scratched and scuffed as well? Or is it mostly the sides? Is it the Slate Jet Black Brushed that matches the sides of the black i5?

http://www.stickerboy.net/collectio...roducts/metal-series-iphone-5-side-wrap-skins

During the installation process it was easy to re-adjust. The thing with these dry application stickers is that there's a way to do it easily. Look it up on youtube. You basically put part of the sticker on the wax paper, and the other sticky part on the phone and align and re-align until you like it. Remove the wax paper and the rest of it fits perfectly. Wet applications take me 20 mins, this took me 3.

Im not sure which fits the side better.

The sticker doesn't scratch as easily. The texture is like brush aluminum. Its not clear "shield" strong, but it resists scratch better than naked.

Ashhong

Well the color that comes with the one you linked, am I right that the side is the jet black? That looks pretty good. It's only 10 bucks for the sides and if the back doesn't scratch then I'd prefer to keep the back of it naked.

JayDub

Well the color that comes with the one you linked, am I right that the side is the jet black? That looks pretty good. It's only 10 bucks for the sides and if the back doesn't scratch then I'd prefer to keep the back of it naked.

Oh you mean naked? It definitely scratches, but it depends on how you take care of it. For me, though, at the end of 1 month it would look like a 1 year old phone.

Correct on the sides.

Ashhong

Yea I meant naked. Was hoping the back doesn't scuff like the rest so I can just get the sides. Now I will have to think about it.

So whats the deal with cases?

I've never owned an Iphone before but im looking to get an Iphone 5.

There are TONS of custom made cases but I assume they won't fit the Iphone 5 so I'll have to wait a while for them to make new designs?

NYR

Oh you mean naked? It definitely scratches, but it depends on how you take care of it. For me, though, at the end of 1 month it would look like a 1 year old phone.

Correct on the sides.

WAT

Naked since day 1. Not a mark on it. I use it daily. Put it my pocket all the time too.

It's not a faberge egg, you can use it, and if you are genuinely smart about it, you can go unscathed, just like with anything.

Still experiencing a lot of bugs with my iPhone 5.

Apps crashing.

Text tone randomly gets quiet. Only fixed with a reboot.

Data randomly chugs. Usually fixed with a reboot.

Sometimes they phone gets so whacked it literally reboots itself. I'll be doing something on the phone, and suddenly the phone reboots.

Certain built in apps, like the App Store will just stop working. Randomly they'll start working again later.

I've already done a full restore from iTunes and the problems continue.

Before anyone goes and tells me to exchange it, it's hard to believe these are hardware related, when they show all the signs if being software related.

Marco1

WAT

Naked since day 1. Not a mark on it. I use it daily. Put it my pocket all the time too.

It's not a faberge egg, you can use it, and if you are genuinely smart about it, you can go unscathed, just like with anything.

This so much, stop putting your iphones in cases.
They're too nice to hold and look at.

Ashhong

WAT

The back of the phone right? I dont have mine yet, what material is it?

Natetan

This so much, stop putting your iphones in cases.
They're too nice to hold and look at.

i bought a simple black matte case, mostly because i think the big apple logo on the back of the phone is tacky, its mostly to cover up that.

the seal on the screen saved me from a having to replace the screen too once when i dropped on the ground.

A simple $2 black latex case saves me doing a thorough crumb and hard particle inspection every damn time I want to put my phone on a table.

Nothing worse than hearing the telltale crunch of your phone getting scratched because of a nearly invisible single grain of sand.

JayDub

WAT

Yea, like I said, depends on how you use it. I put my phone on the table, in my pocket (sometimes in the same pocket as my keys, oops), my kid plays with it, i take it out and use it in restaurants after I clean my hands.

You can tell me "why dont you stop doing this or that and it'll remain perfect?" and I'll tell you its a phone, and I want to be able to stick it in the same pocket as my keys without it scratching. I would hate to put a case on this, but if I can protect it, keep the good looks and weight..why not?

What exactly is this imperative benefit of putting your keys and phone in the same pocket? You have two of them. Things bump into your legs. Imagine your keys being between your leg and your iPhone screen in your pocket. You bump your leg hard on a table and the pressure mashes the keys and your iPhone together. Why risk things like that?

What exactly is this imperative benefit of putting your keys and phone in the same pocket? You have two of them. Things bump into your legs. Imagine your keys being between your leg and your iPhone screen in your pocket. You bump your leg hard on a table and the pressure mashes the keys and your iPhone together. Why risk things like that?

Agreed. My iPhone goes in my right front pocket with nothing else. Wallet and Keys go in my left front pocket.

Not risking my screen getting scratched or broken cause I got bumped at the wrong angle. I also face the screen towards my thigh incase something bumps my leg. Would rather the back slightly dented than the screen cracked.

This system has got me through my 3G, 4 and I have faith it'll get me through the 5.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Now that Apple has taken the Youtube off as a standard app how do you like the Youtube app available from the App Store? I've read the reviews and it seems pretty shitty.

Natetan

so whats the consensus on the earbuds? anyone using them?

i have been using pretty shitty headphones up until now, so im finding them to be pretty good. I found earbuds unusable before, and these at least are usable. I generally use softhead earbuds though, so well see if these hurt my ears at all.

i wish they were retractable like these though.

Macally-Minibud-Retractable-Earphones.jpg

MilkLizard

Now that Apple has taken the Youtube off as a standard app how do you like the Youtube app available from the App Store? I've read the reviews and it seems pretty shitty.

I think the app is totally fine, works without any problems. The only thing is, it's not optimized for the iPhone 5 screen yet, which actually is pretty shitty. And there is no iPad app at all atm.

Man

Question:

Can iOS5 users see iOS6-only apps in the App Store?

edit: been trying to google this for half-an-hour but no sentence combination give me the answer on this.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I think the app is totally fine, works without any problems. The only thing is, it's not optimized for the iPhone 5 screen yet, which actually is pretty shitty. And there is no iPad app at all atm.

I hear you have to sit through advertisements with the new app. Is that true?

Vyer

Still experiencing a lot of bugs with my iPhone 5.

Apps crashing.

Text tone randomly gets quiet. Only fixed with a reboot.

Data randomly chugs. Usually fixed with a reboot.

Sometimes they phone gets so whacked it literally reboots itself. I'll be doing something on the phone, and suddenly the phone reboots.

Certain built in apps, like the App Store will just stop working. Randomly they'll start working again later.

I've already done a full restore from iTunes and the problems continue.

Before anyone goes and tells me to exchange it, it's hard to believe these are hardware related, when they show all the signs if being software related.

Not necessarily. I've seen desktops act like it had software related problems when the hard drive was failing, for example.

If you restored through iTunes, it redownloaded the OS update anyway. Not many people seem to be having that kind of list of issues all at once. If it was a rogue app, we probably would have had some reports on it.

If you have an Apple store near you, there's no reason not to eliminate the possibility anyway. With those kind of problems they'll see it happening and just exchange it out for you. You'd probably be in and out in 30 minutes.

plainr_

GF cracked the glass on her white iPhone, anyone have an idea on how much to replace or where to buy the part?

YMMV but Apple might replace it for free. I've seen it happen many times before. Just bring it to the Apple Store and dont' forget your sad face.

asdad123

GF cracked the glass on her white iPhone, anyone have an idea on how much to replace or where to buy the part?

$229 at Apple which at the moment is probably your cheapest bet.

There arent many replacement screens out there. The cheapest one I have seen was $300 lol.

-griffy-

Banned

I use a 3rd party app called Jasmine, made by the same guy who made the awesome Alien Blue app for browsing Reddit. It's actually updated for iPhone 5, and it can properly Airplay videos to my AppleTV instead of being forced to Airplay Mirror my whole iPhone display like the first party app does.

Top Bottom