• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Raelson

Still experiencing a lot of bugs with my iPhone 5.

Apps crashing.

Text tone randomly gets quiet. Only fixed with a reboot.

Data randomly chugs. Usually fixed with a reboot.

Sometimes they phone gets so whacked it literally reboots itself. I'll be doing something on the phone, and suddenly the phone reboots.

Certain built in apps, like the App Store will just stop working. Randomly they'll start working again later.

I've already done a full restore from iTunes and the problems continue.

Before anyone goes and tells me to exchange it, it's hard to believe these are hardware related, when they show all the signs if being software related.

I'm 90% sure this is a hardware problem. My last phone (even though it wasn't an iphone) behaved the same way because of hardware problems. Random reboots, apps crashing etc. Exchange it as soon as possible.

My iphone has been completely free of problems.

I think the app is totally fine, works without any problems. The only thing is, it's not optimized for the iPhone 5 screen yet, which actually is pretty shitty. And there is no iPad app at all atm.

I use the Jasmine Youtube app. I love listening to youtube clips in the background and can't do that with the default app.

systematic

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't this changed in the latest update?

Yep, among other things:

These changes were requested by YouTube/Google Inc.

x Removed Automatic "Background Audio" playback. Native to iOS, this can still be invoked manually by double-tapping the home button, swiping right and hitting play
x Removed customisable skip/rewind controls
x Switched to YouTube compliant playback (adds 1-2 seconds to video load times and limits refinement around playlist auto-queueing)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Question:

Can iOS5 users see iOS6-only apps in the App Store?

edit: been trying to google this for half-an-hour but no sentence combination give me the answer on this.

I don't think there are any iOS 6 only apps.
All apps should be shown on the App Store regardless if the device can handle it. Most will tell you if they run slow or don't work on older devices.

mrkgoo

Bah, after ordering the moment they were available, and waiting 4 weeks for delivery, counting down the days, the hours, it finally came. Then I found out you can't do anything without a sim card, and local carrier store are all out.

Then, looking more carefully, 2 dead pixels. :(

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Bah, after ordering the moment they were available, and waiting 4 weeks for delivery, counting down the days, the hours, it finally came. Then I found out you can't do anything without a sim card, and local carrier store are all out.

Then, looking more carefully, 2 dead pixels. :(

US? Isn't the SIM inside and ready to be activated?

Sucks about the pixels though.

mrkgoo

US? Isn't the SIM inside and ready to be activated?

Sucks about the pixels though.

NZ bought outright, so it just comes with a phone. Up to the user to go with whatever carrier. Organising a return ( no apple stores here), so it,s the waiting game again. Ah man, I was so excited to come home and play.

JayDub

What exactly is this imperative benefit of putting your keys and phone in the same pocket? You have two of them. Things bump into your legs. Imagine your keys being between your leg and your iPhone screen in your pocket. You bump your leg hard on a table and the pressure mashes the keys and your iPhone together. Why risk things like that?

Its not a benefit, its just not something I like to think about. My phone is my "take this and go" gadget. Either way, these things are different for most people. My usage habits almost guarantees that a new product will look 5 years old 1 year in. To have some sort of protection to offset my carelessness, without putting on an ugly case is all good to me.

Going to finally buy an iPhone 5 today, after owning touches for years and an ipad, finally a phone!

Decided not to continue my O2 contract as I will have to find £200 or so for the phone and then over 2 years I will end up paying them over £1100 ! so I am planning to buy a phone from the apple store and then get a sim only deal to stick in it, total cost becomes a few hundred pounds less and the phone will be unlocked from day 1.

Looking forward to it, wanted to own an iPhone for a long time.

Natetan

one thing no one has mentioned is that you need itunes 12 or whatever to use the iphone 5. i macbook pro from 2009 has software too old to even download that version of itunes, and they dont sell the OS update online or at the apple store. I had to call them and order a physical media disc for the update , and then i can pay another $15 to update to snow leopard or whatever the fuck.

I really cant believe that apple would let this happen. I've never had any problems every with my OS or anything, and then with the iphone 5 they make tons of changes that arent really beneficial to the user at all. It's really stupid. I basically walk around with my iphone 4 that has all my music and apps on it and then my iphone 5 with my telephone number on it. I have to wait a couple days until the disc arrives.

gamma

one thing no one has mentioned is that you need itunes 12 or whatever to use the iphone 5. i macbook pro from 2009 has software too old to even download that version of itunes, and they dont sell the OS update online or at the apple store. I had to call them and order a physical media disc for the update , and then i can pay another $15 to update to snow leopard or whatever the fuck.

I really cant believe that apple would let this happen. I've never had any problems every with my OS or anything, and then with the iphone 5 they make tons of changes that arent really beneficial to the user at all. It's really stupid. I basically walk around with my iphone 4 that has all my music and apps on it and then my iphone 5 with my telephone number on it. I have to wait a couple days until the disc arrives.

?

You don't need iTunes at all. I've not connected my iPhone 5 to iTunes since I got it, why would you have to do that?

Since getting my iPad I've not used iTunes for a while, my iPad doesn't even sync to the version I have heh, but I can see why it's annoying especially for a phone, and to get images across and back to the phone.

goodfella

Ordered the phone from 3, they really do have the most competitive contracts.

Now I just have to wait until the 21st of november...

Should have gone into a store really.

Ordered the phone from 3, they really do have the most competitive contracts.

Now I just have to wait until the 21st of november...

Should have gone into a store really.

How good are 3 in the UK? in the past I was with orange but now O2 and they seem to give me good speeds over 3G with my current android, looks like I will be getting a new phone number anyway so if they are better i'd do a swap, or something.

Seth C

Still experiencing a lot of bugs with my iPhone 5.

Apps crashing.

Text tone randomly gets quiet. Only fixed with a reboot.

Data randomly chugs. Usually fixed with a reboot.

Sometimes they phone gets so whacked it literally reboots itself. I'll be doing something on the phone, and suddenly the phone reboots.

Certain built in apps, like the App Store will just stop working. Randomly they'll start working again later.

I've already done a full restore from iTunes and the problems continue.

Before anyone goes and tells me to exchange it, it's hard to believe these are hardware related, when they show all the signs if being software related.

I've seen most of these issues as well. The other day I swiped to open a text and my phone rebooted. The App Store definitely won't do anything for hours or a day at a time. "Oh I have an app to update? But nothing loads up when I check..." Never have sounds on so no clue on the text tone. Data definitely chugs and I have to reboot also. Wifi is terrible about that so I've basically just turned it off.

-griffy-

Banned
It seems for me that the YouTube app only does audio over airplay, and not video. ANyone else?
You need to AirPlay Mirror the whole phone display by double tapping the home button, swiping to the left, pressing the Airplay button and selecting mirror. Of course since the app isn't updated for the 16x9 display of the 5 this will result in black bars on the sides of your HDTV. This is one of the reasons I use Jasmine.

goodfella

How good are 3 in the UK? in the past I was with orange but now O2 and they seem to give me good speeds over 3G with my current android, looks like I will be getting a new phone number anyway so if they are better i'd do a swap, or something.

The general opinion of three is that they are the worst of all the networks. But they are cheap.

shock33

Get a good signal with 3?
- They're fantastic

Work in a a location with tall buildings or in the bowels of a building (I work in a stadium)?
- No signal

Need to contact customer services?
- kill yourself

daw840

Got a question about Airplay and the iPhone 5.

This is my Apple setup.

MBP
Airport Extreme
Apple TV
Iphone 5

When I use the MBP to play music through my Apple TV into my receiver it works fantastically. Never skips or loses connection or anything. I got the iPhone 5 and it saw that I had an Apple TV and gives me all the airplay options. The issue is that it will randomly just lose it's connection to the Apple TV and the song will stutter or skip or just go away completely. Anyone heard of issues like this?

Phoenix

Got a question about Airplay and the iPhone 5.

This is my Apple setup.

MBP
Airport Extreme
Apple TV
Iphone 5

When I use the MBP to play music through my Apple TV into my receiver it works fantastically. Never skips or loses connection or anything. I got the iPhone 5 and it saw that I had an Apple TV and gives me all the airplay options. The issue is that it will randomly just lose it's connection to the Apple TV and the song will stutter or skip or just go away completely. Anyone heard of issues like this?

There are some known issues with the iP5 losing network connection from time to time. May be related to your issue. The fix is expected in 6.0.1.

Seth C

My iPhone 5 is at 1 day and 1hr stand by. 6hrs of usage and still at 29%. <3

Mine is at 4 hours, 14 minutes of usage and 5 hours, 24 minutes of standby with only 32% battery left. That's with LTE, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth completely switched off and the brightness at near minimum.

And that's still a ton better than my 4 ever gave me.

ChanHuk

Banned
Mine is at 4 hours, 14 minutes of usage and 5 hours, 24 minutes of standby with only 32% battery left. That's with LTE, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth completely switched off and the brightness at near minimum.

And that's still a ton better than my 4 ever gave me.

I have LTE, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth enabled. I still think the 4 had better battery life, but maybe thats just me.

mrkgoo

My iPhone 5 woes continue. So my iPhone 5 is supposedly going to be shipped back to apple due to dead pixels. My wife's however is fine.

No good without a sim, though. So yesterday I go into a carrier store and ask for a nano sim. Out of stock. Comeback tomorrow they say.

So next day, I call up head office, and confirm they have plentiful stocks of nano sims at that store. Guaranteed to get one, head office tells me. They won't sell out.

So I go back to the store. Sorry, out of stock. Should have come yesterday they say!

I explain to them I just called and they said they have some. They look at the system inventory, and it does say so, but they say the system must be wrong. The they use thesamesystem and say that this other store must have some!

But is the system reliable? They can't promise me it is when it,s wrong for the very store I'm standing in.

Can't even call that store, because the frigging PHONE stor doesn't have a phone, apparently.

Oh well, nano sim hunting tomorrow.

I can't get over how:
  • Fast the phone is...
  • How beautiful and bright the screen is...
  • Just how smooth and snappy everything is...
  • How fast 4G LTE is...
  • How beautiful this device is...
  • How long a charge lasts...
...compared to my old 3GS. What a night and day difference. I almost felt like I couldn't keep up with it at first. Can't keep my hands off of it.

All I need now is my Google Maps. Right now, my 3GS is my dedicated Maps machine, tethering it to my sexy LTE when I need to use it.

SJRB

Gold Member
Sweet jesus I just received mine out of nowhere. And not a moment too soon, my blackberry's battery died yesterday.

Only problem is that I have to manually transfer my entire contact list, that's gonna take some time.

Other than that solid first impressions. Screen looks great, photo quality is shockingly good. It does feel fragile though, I'm scared to even touch it.

daw840

There are some known issues with the iP5 losing network connection from time to time. May be related to your issue. The fix is expected in 6.0.1.
Would this also cause the clock to be off? 2 nights in a row when I wake up the clock is like 15 minutes slow. I have to reboot the phone just to get it correct again. It's hooked up to wifi all of the time at my house.

Natetan

so what do you guys think of the new earbuds, anyone using them? I like them actually. I'm only using them because my other earphones broke, but they're actually pretty good.

Testing my luck on an iphone 5 in the apple store near me was to be expected, OOS :p

Ordered online, I can wait 3-4 weeks since my old phone still has a contract for 2 months.

bill0527

Dropped my 4 yesterday, completely shattered the glass. $100 to replace it at both local cell phone repair shops, so i figured i would spend another $100 and just upgrade to a 5. After going to 5 local stores - Best buy, SAMs club, 2 AT&T stores, and HHGregg, nobody has them in stock and most said 2-3 weeks before they have them. Oh well, i wasnt in a hurry to upgrade and ended up getting my 4 fixed.

123rl

so what do you guys think of the new earbuds, anyone using them? I like them actually. I'm only using them because my other earphones broke, but they're actually pretty good.

I like them. They're a bit loose but they are definitely comfortable.

Dreaver

My impressions so far, I got the phone on Saturday. I am coming from an Android 2.2 HTC Desire, I've also had the Galaxy S2 for a few days.

- Holy shit the screen! So sharp, so beautiful.
- The phone is very, very quick. I love it.
- The sound! So goooood! I am really impressed.
- I love the music app, it looks so good.
- The new ear buds have nice audio quality. I hope they don't break as quick as the older ones.
- The battery! My phone is at like 60% now, took it off the charger 9h ago and I I've used it for 5 hours +. Seriously impressed compared to my old phone.
- The quality of the camera is pretty damn good.
- The design is the best design ever for a phone. 4" feels perfect, coming from a 3.7" device. Yes I might be a little biased.

One thing I'm truly disappointed about are the scuffs. Yes I know it will happen anyways after a few month(s) and I won't care anymore in a few months. However it feels pretty disappointing that it already happens in the first week for such a expensive product. I also noticed there is dirt between the plastic and aluminium on the back, it looks so ugly. :(

I also have a question:
I see I've burned through 90mb in just a few days. I haven't used it that much...I have a 1gb cap (coming from an "unlimited" cap, but they sadly don't exist anymore around here) and I'm afraid I won't make it through the month. Is there any way to turn off "syncing"? I mean that the phone won't use internet unless I open the desired app, as it automatically refreshes apps the whole time right now / incoming messages without using the phone. And no I don't want to turn on flight-mode all the time.

2 questions, dirt and connection

Top Bottom