• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Is it an ipod in or USB. Those are two different things.

It does appear that some car makers did controls via USB and audio via analog signal. In that case your car probably has an AUX/Line-In/3.5mm. Just use that :p

This is far from ideal, especially for audiophiles that want to use their portable headphone amps on the go, as crazy as those people may be.

ant1532

Banned
A lot of cars use this though. So they're making the iPhone 5 incompatible with cars now?
i can't believe i just read this lol.

YEP, i'm sure no company will make any new car accessories for the iphone 5. im sure they don't want any money and they all want you to use the old accessories for the iphone 4 that don't work 100% backwards compatible with the iphone 5. YEP, apple is making the iphone 5 incompatible with cars now, you're right.

noah111

Still Alive
nOs8p.jpg
Hahaha everyone's trolling apple now.

numble

Pretty much all recent Hyundai/Kia's have an iPod in. The cable utilized on one end was the 30 pin connector and the other end was a USB (for contolling the iPod)+mini jack plug (for passing the audio). With Lightning, that cable would no longer work (even with the adapter as you still wouldn't be passing the analog audio)

Don't downplay this and try to say its just a BMW issue.

Yes there are other solutions you could get away with, but that will still require the purchase of new accessories and/or cabling.
iPod Out is a duplication of the iPod on another screen.

Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj0SRzd40s4

Clockwork

Is it an ipod in or USB. Those are two different things.

It does appear that some car makers did controls via USB and audio via analog signal. In that case your car probably has an AUX/Line-In/3.5mm. Just use that :)

USB and Aux. it supports native iPod controls from steering wheel and head unit. When you plug in your iPod it identifies as an iPod. But you can also plug in other players/thumb drives to the USB.

What I was advising is it can't be used in the way the manufacturer intended because it used USB +3.5mm on one end and the 30-pin connector on the other.

Yeah you could willy nilly another solution, but will it work the same? Maybe and maybe not.

This is the factory cable:

2011062701323322.jpg

Btw, I don't have one of these cars (owned one for about 5 months a year ago) so I don't care too much but I can see how it would be annoying.

numble

USB and Aux. it supports native iPod controls from steering wheel and head unit. When you plug in your iPod it identifies as an iPod. But you can also plug in other players/thumb drives to the USB.

What I was advising is it can't be used in the way the manufacturer intended because it used USB +3.5mm on one end and the 30-pin connector on the other.

Yeah you could willy nilly another solution, but will it work the same? Maybe and maybe not.

This is the factory cable:

2011062701323322.jpg

Btw, I don't have one of these cars so I don't care too much but I can see how it would be annoying.

That's not iPod Out.

This is iPod Out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj0SRzd40s4

i can't believe i just read this lol.

YEP, i'm sure no company will make any new car accessories for the iphone 5. im sure they don't want any money and they all want you to use the old accessories for the iphone 4 that don't work 100% backwards compatible with the iphone 5. YEP, apple is making the iphone 5 incompatible with cars now, you're right.

You don't see how it could be confusing if a car has an iPod mode and the adapter says it doesn't support iPod out that one might come to this conclusion?

numble

How would analog out be supported when lightning is all digital? DAC in the adaptor maybe?

Why would they choose to explicitly tell you that an obscure feature like "iPod Out" is not supported, but ignore telling you that "Analog Out" isn't supported? What are most iPod accessories for? People will be plugging the new iPod Nanos into audio accessories as well.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Why would they choose to explicitly tell you that an obscure feature like "iPod Out" is not supported, but ignore telling you that "Analog Out" isn't supported? What are most iPod accessories for? People will be plugging the new iPod Nanos into audio accessories as well.

I dunno. I am just wondering how it will work is all.

numble

Questioning is different from saying things like:

"You'd be screwed if it utilized the analog signal in any way."

"With Lightning, that cable would no longer work (even with the adapter as you still wouldn't be passing the analog audio)"

Why would they choose to explicitly tell you that an obscure feature like "iPod Out" is not supported, but ignore telling you that "Analog Out" isn't supported?

Clockwork

Anyway, to change topics I don't know whether to upgrade to the 5 or to hold out. I have so far owned the 3G, 3GS (ordered at launch), and the 4 (also ordered at launch).

I am no longer under any contract through AT&T and still have a grandfathered unlimited data plan.

I'm torn, as I am kind of curious to see what the new WP8 phones bring (Nokia and Samsung) but I've also been debating a move to Verizon.

Tough decisions...

Anyway, to change topics I don't know whether to upgrade to the 5 or to hold out. I have so far owned the 3G, 3GS (ordered at launch), and the 4 (also ordered at launch).

I am no longer under any contract through AT&T and still have a grandfathered unlimited data plan.

I'm torn, as I am kind of curious to see what the new WP8 phones bring (Nokia and Samsung) but I've also been debating a move to Verizon.

Tough decisions...

I'm waiting till the end of October to make my decision.

So am I the only one who hates the two-tone back? I thought the 4 had a perfect design :[

You are not alone. I think the new design would have been great without the charcoal look on the back, but as it is, it looks kind of ugly. I think the white model works though.

CyReN

Called Sprint earlier and they don't know anything yet, they said they should know Friday. Do I just show up Friday when they open to try and pre-order? Never pre-orded a phone before so I'm new to this. Also my plan is eligible for a upgrade.

I'm pretty sure the launch price for the 4 was £499 as well. I paid £599 for my 32GB.

I should go back to bed

Reading the AnandTech comments is interesting.

People who say that this is the same old iPhone are completely wrong. The internals have been completed changed. And brings screen technology that hasnt been used in EU or US before.

Innovation, eh

yogloo

I wonder how different everything would be if there were no leak.
That said I think the hardware looks great, but OS6 is very disappointing.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
1GB of data is the most they offer?

I wonder how much 4G plans will cost and how much data you will get.

I haven't used O2 in a couple of years, but I believe they offer Data Bolt Ons.

This is why I love The One Plan from Three - Unlimited data and personal hotspot included in the price, everyone else charges extra on top of their already expensive plans.

Top Bottom