• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

There's options buried in the mobile data settings (Setting > general > mobile data) to turn off using cellular data for certain background tasks. Other than that I'm not sure what else you could disable.

lupinko

I'm loving my iphone 5, though LTE kills the battery like no other.

But I just bought one of those 6000mah morphie bricks, so that solves the LTE battery problem. =)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm loving my iphone 5, though LTE kills the battery like no other.

But I just bought one of those 6000mah morphie bricks, so that solves the LTE battery problem. =)

Phone actually lasts a lot longer on LTE.

May be a poor LTE signal so the phone is constantly searching for the LTE signal, connect/disconnect

lupinko

Phone actually lasts a lot longer on LTE.

May be a poor LTE signal so the phone is constantly searching for the LTE signal, connect/disconnect

I think it's probably that because Rogers' so called LTE network is not everywhere apparently, depending where I am, it goes from LTE to 3G and vice versa.

Anyway my incipio case is really slick (but still strong enough to protect) and the carbon fiber ghost armor just makes everything even better.

I've never been excited for an iPhone like this before, but then again 5 is the first one I bought without contract/unlocked, my 3G and 4 were both on contract.

So does anyone know how the iPhone 5 connects to HSPA+? Because if I'm not in Canada or the United States, that's the best I'll get out of my 5.

Ashhong

Phone came in today, WITH A SCUFF! FUUUUUUUUU

There is also some kind of discoloration near the scuff. Going to call Apple tomorrow, hopefully they can reserve a phone for me at a local store for a quick and easy exchange.

DarkFlow

Banned
I don't think there are any iOS 6 only apps.
All apps should be shown on the App Store regardless if the device can handle it. Most will tell you if they run slow or don't work on older devices.
I think all the iLife apps like iPhoto are iOS 6 only now unless you have a older app backed up.

There is also some kind of discoloration near the scuff. Going to call Apple tomorrow, hopefully they can reserve a phone for me at a local store for a quick and easy exchange.

They normally always have replacements waiting in the back in those black special non retail packaging boxes for these specific purposes. You should be a-ok.

ecurbj

I just wanted to say this. Do you feel the slightest embarrassment to go back to the Apple Store and to ask them to swap out a scuffed iPhone for a new iPhone because of the scuff? I remember getting my first iPhone 4 back in May and I remember seeing a 2 dead pixels on my screen and I wasn't sure if I was going to be an ass and complain that I have two dead pixels and just lived with it. Unfortunately my screen cracked a few months later. But does it seem anal to complain to Genius about a scuff or dead pixels?

I just wanted to say this. Do you feel the slightest embarrassment to go back to the Apple Store and to ask them to swap out a scuffed iPhone for a new iPhone because of the scuff? I remember getting my first iPhone 4 back in May and I remember seeing a 2 dead pixels on my screen and I wasn't sure if I was going to be an ass and complain that I have two dead pixels and just lived with it. Unfortunately my screen cracked a few months later. But does it seem anal to complain to Genius about a scuff or dead pixels?

What? Hell no. Dead pixels are the worst. You can't unsee them and it ruins the whole thing. Instant return for me.

A scuff would depend on how bad. My 5 has the tiniest scuff imaginable and I haven't returned it.

ecurbj

What? Hell no. Dead pixels are the worst. You can't unsee them and it ruins the whole thing. Instant return for me.

A scuff would depend on how bad. My 5 has the tiniest scuff imaginable and I haven't returned it.
But what I'm asking would it seem anal to go to the Apple Store demand a replacement because of the tiniest scuff because it bothers you and it came with the iPhone? I feel guilty when I go there for the smallest shit. "Hi, yeah I have a scuff on my iPhone. It's not suppose to be like this if its new and I paid xxxxxx for this iPhone. This is unacceptable. Can you replace it?" I don't know if I'm making sense but for some reason I need this guilt factor to be shaken off me.

krpiper

So my local verizon wont be getting any in until the 16th they said. Whats the best option

1. Order through Verizon
2. Order through apple.com
3. Drive 2 hours to an apple store

Also if I want AppleCare vs the Verizon warrently I would have to buy it at a apple store or from apple.com?

Marco1

But what I'm asking would it seem anal to go to the Apple Store demand a replacement because of the tiniest scuff because it bothers you and it came with the iPhone? I feel guilty when I go there for the smallest shit. "Hi, yeah I have a scuff on my iPhone. It's not suppose to be like this if its new and I paid xxxxxx for this iPhone. This is unacceptable. Can you replace it?" I don't know if I'm making sense but for some reason I need this guilt factor to be shaken off me.
If you're not happy with your phone take it back and get it exchanged.
If it was me then I would return it because my OCD tendencies go into overdrive when I buy something new but that's why I love apple products, they'll do whatever it takes to make you happy. I find their hardware the best out there.

If a £599 phone came to me in the post with marks on it somewhere I would go exchange, and for dead pixels of couse because that screen is yours to look at for years on a device like this. hell I took back my fat DS because it had some stuck pixels on the touch screen.

I see what you're saying but I just wouldn't let that enter my thought process. If it bothers me and I think it's reasonable that a new phone shouldn't have whatever the problem is, I would switch it.

You don't have to be confrontational or weird and say "I paid a lot for this phone and this is unacceptable." Just tell them the problem and say you want to switch it. They know cosmetic damage from new isn't right and they probably won't question it.

lupinko

This talk of deadpixels made me look at my phone and I thought I noticed one, started to panic.

But, it turns out there's no deadpixel, it's just dirt that was underneath the ghost armor, so because of gaf I'll be taking this to the ghost armor people today to clean up/replace now. :D

Nori Chan

I got my phone today :D

Too bad I got it before I had to go to school but the good thing is that it'll take 2 hours for my backup to be restored. So for now I still have my 4.

Is there anything I should do before I start using it? Like battery wise or performance wise?

mf.luder

Gents, I just dropped my phone getting out of my car onto the driveway. Scuffs are only on the banding and luckily NOT where I rest my hands. I need that touchup pen ASAP.

matt360

It's not anal at all. For as much as we pay for these things they damn well better be in perfect condition. If the people at the Apple Store get irritated, they should aim that at Apple's quality control, not at the unhappy customers. I'm about to receive my third iPhone 5 tomorrow because my camera lens is loose to the point where it moves around (not simply the rattle that almost everyone else is experiencing). Like another poster said, you don't need to be a jerk or confrontational about it, just state your problem and be polite. I remember getting a launch PSP at EB Games and returning it for a new one three times the day it came out because two had dead pixels and another had sticky shoulder buttons. When you're paying a premium, you have every right to 100% satisfaction.

Britprog

ynTch.jpg
Had my iPhone 5 for just over a week, luckily noticed a bit of plastic in the mic holes which couldn't be shifted.

So I can called Apple and am getting a replacement in a few days, very happy with the phone its lighting fast compared to my GS1 on ICS

Ashhong

What? FUCK NO. I want my stuff to be in perfect condition. I could walk outside the Apple Store and scuff it in 10 seconds, but at least I know it was my fault. I'm not accepting a damaged or imperfect product. Never have I done that, and I never will. I don't feel any embarrassment, especially at an Apple Store. I have to imagine that these "Apple Geniuses" are just as picky about their shit and would do the same thing.

So my local verizon wont be getting any in until the 16th they said. Whats the best option

1. Order through Verizon
2. Order through apple.com
3. Drive 2 hours to an apple store

Also if I want AppleCare vs the Verizon warrently I would have to buy it at a apple store or from apple.com?

Depends on how badly you want it. Don't drive to an Apple Store without first reserving one at 10PM through their site. You can buy the Apple Care wherever you want. It's just a voucher. You have to register your product to it later. You should look into Squaretrade warranty too. I'm actually not sure which is cheaper but it's worth a look. They are very reliable.

bonesquad

Does anyone else have a loose power button? At first I didn't care, it didn't bother me. However as time's gone on it does:( The problem isn't that it's loose, it's the sound it makes.

When I set the phone down I can hear it rattle. And when the phone vibrates it adds a higher pitched noise to it.

Crap. It's been more than 30 days so I don't know if Apple will do anything about it:(. Other than the buton everything else on the phone is still in great shape.

Ashhong

Does anyone else have a loose power button? At first I didn't care, it didn't bother me. However as time's gone on it does:( The problem isn't that it's loose, it's the sound it makes.

When I set the phone down I can hear it rattle. And when the phone vibrates it adds a higher pitched noise to it.

Crap. It's been more than 30 days so I don't know if Apple will do anything about it:(. Other than the buton everything else on the phone is still in great shape.

You sure you aren't hearing the camera piece that people are talking about? And why would 30 days be the deadline? You have a 1 year hardware warranty.

Dazzla

My boss took his 64GB black into the Apple store at Cribbs (UK) a few days ago having bought it online. They switched it for a new black one. They wouldn't switch it for the white though, they said if you wanted white you would have to return it online and explain that why you didn't want the black.

His was a mess. He isn't particularly careful with his phones and almost the entire chamfered edge was raw aluminium, it was a mess. He put a case on after the event but the damage was done.

Edit - He treated it the same as his iPhone 4S and that was still in good condition. It was just a side effect of putting it back down on table tops around the offices.

TUSR

Banned
Had my iPhone 5 for just over a week, luckily noticed a bit of plastic in the mic holes which couldn't be shifted.

So I can called Apple and am getting a replacement in a few days, very happy with the phone its lighting fast compared to my GS1 on ICS

looks like you could take a pin and fish it out with ease.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Based on people's responses here, I think I will test the phone out with cellular data turned off and see if that makes a difference. I'm still concerned about my battery, it seems like I get down to 60% after only a few hours so it's gotta be my phone or something running in the background.

On another note, I hate syncing this damn phone. Why does itunes have to sync 3000 songs worth of genius data EVERY TIME. I haven't updated my genius for a week now!

Maybe I just need an ipod classic, really pushing it here lol.

Britprog

looks like you could take a pin and fish it out with ease.

I spoke to the Apple tech guys and they said just leave it and they set up a replacement.

I paid £600 of a 32GB white, I want it perfect for that price. If I left it, with my luck it would mess up the mic (or something else) when the 1 year warranty runs out!!!

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Do you really need that much music Paul? Also its syncing the data to your phone.

It's not even all of my music, lol. According to my ipod it's 35.2 days straight worth of music. I definitely don't need to access all of this at any time, but damn do I like the convenience. Only thing is I've had to take off a lot of apps because my music is hogging up too much space.

TUSR

Banned
I spoke to the Apple tech guys and they said just leave it and they set up a replacement.

I paid £600 of a 32GB white, I want it perfect for that price. If I left it, with my luck it would mess up the mic (or something else) when the 1 year warranty runs out!!!

understandably a safe bet. Im not sure the consequences would go that far though hah

It's not even all of my music, lol. According to my ipod it's 35.2 days straight worth of music. I definitely don't need to access all of this at any time, but damn do I like the convenience. Only thing is I've had to take off a lot of apps because my music is hogging up too much space.

Convenience is always good, im always baffled by the amount of music people have and how they could probably delete 1/4 of it without noticing. Sort your song list out and tell me how many songs have 0 plays.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm just happy Spotify exists, not having all my own music on my phone is worth the 10 bucks for the extra data space alone.

cjkeats

On another note, I hate syncing this damn phone. Why does itunes have to sync 3000 songs worth of genius data EVERY TIME. I haven't updated my genius for a week now!

You look like someone who could use iTunes match.

Got mine last night. I was at a loss when it came to what to put in that new row on the bottom. Of course an hour in this happen. I don't even know.

What's everyone using for cases? I'd always go naked or bumper with my 4, but with this one I'm worried about the back getting scratched up.

LCfiner

Based on people's responses here, I think I will test the phone out with cellular data turned off and see if that makes a difference. I'm still concerned about my battery, it seems like I get down to 60% after only a few hours so it's gotta be my phone or something running in the background.

you got a few options with the phone.

1. itunes match. if your data plan is over a gig (ideally over 5 gb) then you should be just fine with the service. it works well in iOS 6.

2. if you don't listen to this music with top of the line headphones or hook it up to high quality speakers, then you can have itunes compress the songs to 128kbps before syncing (it's an option on the first tab of the iphone properties sheet in your screenshot). or 196 kbps which is an even better option.

dorkimoe

There are some known issues with the iP5 losing network connection from time to time. May be related to your issue. The fix is expected in 6.0.1.

Does this count cell network too? Cuz this is my second i5 that will drop all cell data while browsing the Internet. Replaced sim last night. Happened again. Going to end up replacing the phone because the battery will not stay secured in. Every 2 days I have to press the back to keep the battery from moving.

andycapps

Does this count cell network too? Cuz this is my second i5 that will drop all cell data while browsing the Internet. Replaced sim last night. Happened again. Going to end up replacing the phone because the battery will not stay secured in. Every 2 days I have to press the back to keep the battery from moving.

I don't think anybody knows what specific cell related issues that Apple is fixing in 6.0.1. I'm wanting a fix as well as I have issues with streaming music on certain apps.

I've had people complaining to me that their 4S on iOS 6 gets stuck on Edge and they have to toggle 3G on and off to get 3G back, so I'm really hoping its a widespread problem fixed in 6.0.1. It's my only issue with the phone, it makes streaming audio hell.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
iMessage not letting me load pictures that people send me.
I see the pic, but when I click it, it perpetually loads on a black screen.

I can save to camera roll to view though. Odd.
Was working mere hours before.

Ovid

I've had people complaining to me that their 4S on iOS 6 gets stuck on Edge and they have to toggle 3G on and off to get 3G back, so I'm really hoping its a widespread problem fixed in 6.0.1. It's my only issue with the phone, it makes streaming audio hell.
I only got switched to EDGE when I was in Lower Mahanttan yesterday. I guess that was because there was no power to the antennas.

dorkimoe

Glad to see this update today, got my sim replaced yesterday and lost connection again. Hoping this fixes it and its not the device

I've now gotten a "Software update Failed" message about 6 times trying to do the update from my iPhone 5.

Rebooted the phone. Still happening. :|

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So, question.

I initially thought with iTunes Match that you matched songs to the cloud and then could stream the songs on any iDevice. I then learned that it actually downloads the song to that device, and does not stream it, thus making listening to music from the cloud hard to do in my car and filling up my iphone anyways.

First, what's the point of match then? Just to be able to download your music anywhere? I got a smaller HD on my 5 because I thought it was streaming.

Second, is there a good service that I can put all my music on and just stream it to my phone? I don't want to listen to 3 albums then go delete them off my phone like I have to with Match.

Thanks

Appleman

So, question.

I initially thought with iTunes Match that you matched songs to the cloud and then could stream the songs on any iDevice. I then learned that it actually downloads the song to that device, and does not stream it, thus making listening to music from the cloud hard to do in my car and filling up my iphone anyways.

First, what's the point of match then? Just to be able to download your music anywhere? I got a smaller HD on my 5 because I thought it was streaming.

Second, is there a good service that I can put all my music on and just stream it to my phone? I don't want to listen to 3 albums then go delete them off my phone like I have to with Match.

Thanks

From my experience it does stream the music and then keep the file on the device until you need the space and it will intelligently delete the local copies of the least used songs

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
From my experience it does stream the music and then keep the file on the device until you need the space and it will intelligently delete the local copies of the least used songs

Hmm, that might be nice if so. I just noticed 100-some songs on my phone now. Also when "streaming" or downloading or whatever it buffers a LOT. Pandora runs great on my drive, as does Spotify, but Match stops the song all the time.

Top Bottom