• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Hmm, that might be nice if so. I just noticed 100-some songs on my phone now. Also when "streaming" or downloading or whatever it buffers a LOT. Pandora runs great on my drive, as does Spotify, but Match stops the song all the time.

I believe Pandora streams 128k AACs, while your matched iTunes files will be double that. On top of that if not matched an uploaded file could be up to 320k. That's a lot more data to push every second.

That said Match does sometimes stutter more than I'd like, even when playing Matched files from my Mac. My commute is 90% underground and I prefer listening to albums so I download them on my walk to the train. Wish they'd add some manual management/deleting back though. Downloading single tracks wouldn't hurt, either.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I believe Pandora streams 128k AACs, while your matched iTunes files will be double that. On top of that if not matched an uploaded file could be up to 320k. That's a lot more data to push every second.

That said Match does sometimes stutter more than I'd like, even when playing Matched files from my Mac. My commute is 90% underground and I prefer listening to albums so I download them on my walk to the train. Wish they'd add some manual management/deleting back though. Downloading single tracks wouldn't hurt, either.

Yeah, even if I could set it to delete my match music off my phone weekly or something. The higher quality = more buffering makes sense. Half my drive is in 3G so it's pretty slow.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
you got a few options with the phone.

1. itunes match. if your data plan is over a gig (ideally over 5 gb) then you should be just fine with the service. it works well in iOS 6.

2. if you don't listen to this music with top of the line headphones or hook it up to high quality speakers, then you can have itunes compress the songs to 128kbps before syncing (it's an option on the first tab of the iphone properties sheet in your screenshot). or 196 kbps which is an even better option.

iTunes match sounds like a good investment for me, I will think about it a little more.

And as for your second option, I am already doing that. That's how I jammed 13k songs in at around 45 gigs lol.

Vyer

I've now gotten a "Software update Failed" message about 6 times trying to do the update from my iPhone 5.

Rebooted the phone. Still happening. :|

Dude, exchange the phone. I know you didn't think it was hardware related or whatever but you've got way too many problems not to at least try it.

Note: if you have already exchanged the phone you were talking about a few days ago, please disregard this message. :)

SnakeXs

iTunes match sounds like a good investment for me, I will think about it a little more.

And as for your second option, I am already doing that. That's how I jammed 13k songs in at around 45 gigs lol.

Compressing already compressed music is gross. Do yourself a huge favor, get iTunes Match, get used to it, download and keep your x amount of favorite albums and enjoy having access to the rest at any time, in a lightyear gap in increased quality at that.

Appleman

Yeah, I thought Match in iOS5 was basically perfect. Still an excellent service in iOS6 but it was nice to know what was local and what wasn't

mrkgoo

*sigh*

After ordering an iPhone5 from Apple from day 1, it arrived after 4 weeks. HAd two dead pixels, so initiated a replacement. I was told I'd get one in a few days, but after a week, I got an email saying my replacement will be dispatched in another 4 weeks.

I called up and supposedly it will come sooner, but I don't have any shipment notice or anything else to really let me know when.

Dude, exchange the phone. I know you didn't think it was hardware related or whatever but you've got way too many problems not to at least try it.

Note: if you have already exchanged the phone you were talking about a few days ago, please disregard this message. :)

I was able to complete the update from my desktop last night. I hoped this update was going to work out some kinks that I've been having.

However, the phone rebooted itself again this morning while opening an app, so I think I'm finally going to exchange it this weekend.

M_A_C

So is the 10 o'clock thing still the only way to get one of these? is it actually right at 10 that you need to be looking for instore pickup?

C Jones

Has anyone had the issue where the earpod remote (volume and play/pause) stopped working? Mine was working fine and now it has just stopped. I don't have any compressed air but I did try various methods for removing lint from the jack, but still nothing.
Just an FYI in the event anyone else encounters this - went to the Apple Store and my phone got replaced. They weren't sure what was causing it.

Still having issues with my touchscreen becoming unresponsive/freezing when I'm in an LTE area...has anyone experienced this issue and is there a solution other than getting a new phone??

So, does the iPhone 5 have any auto brightness adjusting? I've seen it said that it has less adjustment, but I can say with certainty mine has none. I've tested it repeatedly. Even after yesterday's update.

Just got an order in for a white 64gb! It became available at 10:05, I just about to give up.

Glad to hear that worked out for you!

Liquid_015

Gold Member
My 2 year contract with AT&T has expired a few months ago, and I am eligible for an upgrade with AT&T. As stated, the upgrade cost would simply be 36USD and the cost of buying the iPhone 5. My question is: how much would the total cost come out to be? Right now, I'm under a family plan and currently no longer under a 2 year contract as it expired, and the cost of my bill is about 70USD. If I were to renew my 2 year contract will the cost of my plan from 70USD increase?

Thanks!

Dazzla

So, does the iPhone 5 have any auto brightness adjusting? I've seen it said that it has less adjustment, but I can say with certainty mine has none. I've tested it repeatedly. Even after yesterday's update.

It does for me. Can't believe passbook still doesn't obey brightness levels after 6.0.1.

mrkgoo

My faulty iPhone had auto brightness that was very obvious, straight out of e box.

My wife's one is more subtle, and only changes slowly. I can open the brightness setting, though, hold it up to the light and see the setting change itself.

I think the obviousness of it depends on what it's set to, as in it has a range of adjustment, but for example, if you crank it to max, it probably won't dim much in dark light.

Ashhong

So anybody that ported their new number to Verizon, is there anyway for me to activate/use the phone without actually activating the line? I get my phone tomorrow but can't port/activate until Sunday and want to play with it

Appleman

It's just jarring. I know it returns to normal brightness.

I didn't think of the scanner scenario, it makes sense.

Yep! I just went to a comedy festival that used digital barcodes off of smartphones as tickets for each event (through safari, not passbook) and every time I had to manually jack up the brightness to get it to scan properly

It does for me. Can't believe passbook still doesn't obey brightness levels after 6.0.1.

So if you go into the brightness setting screen, and toggle auto brightness to on or off, you see the brightness change on the fly?

My faulty iPhone had auto brightness that was very obvious, straight out of e box.

My wife's one is more subtle, and only changes slowly. I can open the brightness setting, though, hold it up to the light and see the setting change itself.

I think the obviousness of it depends on what it's set to, as in it has a range of adjustment, but for example, if you crank it to max, it probably won't dim much in dark light.

Mine doesn't change in the slightest, so everytime I'm in a dark room I need to manually turn it all the way down.

But here's the thing, my wife's iPhone also behaves exactly the same, so that makes me even more confused.

Caelestis

So anybody that ported their new number to Verizon, is there anyway for me to activate/use the phone without actually activating the line? I get my phone tomorrow but can't port/activate until Sunday and want to play with it
Mine activated when I turned it on and went through initial set up. If there was a way out of it I don't remember one.

Hmmm, I am starting to get a feeling like I am a victim of a wifi bug. Until yesterday it worked great, and I had the phone since launch. Now wifi goes on and off every couple minutes. Usually I have to go into settings for it to even come back on. It's starting to get frustrating since the data plan is not unlimited, so can't just use that instead. I hear this might be related to wpa/wpa2 connections, but even unencrypted ones do the same thing. I did the new update and that didn't help. Is there anything else I can try to fix this?

The battery is amazing :

0ydFv.png

8 hours in use,

1 day and 12 hours in hold. 10% left, with 3G (LTE in US ?) and Wifi

<3

M_A_C

So if you go into the brightness setting screen, and toggle auto brightness to on or off, you see the brightness change on the fly?

Mine doesn't change in the slightest, so everytime I'm in a dark room I need to manually turn it all the way down.

But here's the thing, my wife's iPhone also behaves exactly the same, so that makes me even more confused.

If you have the brightness slider up high, the auto is only going to take it down to that level. If you have the slider turned all the way up the auto isn't going to do anything.

Zeth

Anyone have a link to that paint pen that supposedly does a good job of filling in dents in the black chamfer? Anyone try it? Will post picks of my horrendous gouge later.

mrkgoo

If you have the brightness slider up high, the auto is only going to take it down to that level. If you have the slider turned all the way up the auto isn't going to do anything.

From my short experience,this is true. It,s like your brightness setting is a minimum.

And yes, at least on iPhone 5, I've seen the brightness slider itself change in real time with brightness, but like is aid you have to have it dim to see it go up.

Zeth

Don't bother with it. It doesn't work despite numerous rumors on the net that it does.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't bothered looking into until now. The shine from the protruding bare aluminum does seem to dull with time, which is good I guess.

Ashhong

I don't know, I saw pics of someone using it and it looked great.

Anybody know if the iphones that apple stores keep in the back to replace scuffed ones are new or like refurb units from previous scuffs?

Ashhong

Finally got my perfect condition i5! The replacement process was not as easy as I was led to believe. Alot of grief. Activating today! Can't wait :)

matt360

I'm on my 3rd iPhone 5 now. My first was averaging 3.5 hours of battery life before dying, my second one had a camera lens that was loose to the touch, and my third one doesn't seem to be much better with battery life. 1% every two minutes while browsing on 3G/LTE (full bars for both). My iPhone 4 had amazing battery life and I'm on the same network using the same cell towers as before. I am honestly at a loss.

SnakeXs

1% every two minutes while browsing on 3G/LTE (full bars for both). My iPhone 4 had amazing battery life and I'm on the same network using the same cell towers as before. I am honestly at a loss.
That's pretty much how mine is via LTE. Standby and Wifi times are fucking awesome but constant LTE use, even while browsing GAF, slaughters it. Still debating getting it switched. :/

matt360

That's pretty much how mine is via LTE. Standby and Wifi times are fucking awesome but constant LTE use, even while browsing GAF, slaughters it. Still debating getting it switched. :/

Yeah, my wifi seems to be pretty good. Standby is decent. I lost 5% overnight, but with my iPhone 4 I would never lose anything in standby overnight.

I'll cycle the battery a few more times and possibly try another restore, but this is getting extremely tiresome.

Top Bottom