• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Ashhong

I can't believe cycling your battery does anything

edit: is Push better on your battery than Fetch? I don't really know/understand the concept behind Push

Got a 5 :D

Not sure how I feel about it atm.

I really do wish Apple spend more time and thought into their native apps at least.

All they did was add spacing between shit to fill up the screen. It rarely looks good.

hmmm...

watching videos is great on this though!

Just got the 5 today, and one time, while messing around with the phone, about 10 horizontal lines started flickering in a weird way around the lower half of the screen. I locked and unlocked the phone and it went away, but could that be something indicative of a larger problem? Has anyone else experienced this?

Just got the 5 today, and one time, while messing around with the phone, about 10 horizontal lines started flickering in a weird way around the lower half of the screen. I locked and unlocked the phone and it went away, but could that be something indicative of a larger problem? Has anyone else experienced this?
download 6.0.1 software update. It fixes that problem.

The newest update 6.01 or something, fixes that.

matt360

I can't believe cycling your battery does anything

edit: is Push better on your battery than Fetch? I don't really know/understand the concept behind Push

You might be right about battery cycling. At this point I'm just trying everything I can.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I looked all over, all I could find was the quick start guide, but i see no tool.
/sadface
3121998489_a58488a939.jpg

Yeah just use a paperclip. :)

Aiii

So not worth it
4 days short of a month, but my iPhone is finally in the UPS delivery system, yay!

About time too, sold my SGS2 3 weeks ago and been using my 3GS, can't wait to have a fast phone again.

Lima

No

Push is literally the worst thing you can enable for your battery life. It will constantly look for new data like mail on the servers using your 3g/LTE connection.

Disable it. Put fetch to like 30 minutes or 1 hour. Put it to 15 minutes if you really need to read every new email and respond to them quickly.

Zilch

Banned
Just got my iphone5 and set it up.

LGE is not working but I turned it off and 3G works fine. Why is that? Does it have anything to do with my plan (I'm on a damned family plan still)?

LCfiner

I've never really had a problem with push killing battery life. the phone isn't opening up connections to look for mail or notifications. those are being sent to the phone without the phone having to initiate communication.

If you're looking to maximize battery life regardless of convenience, then turn off all mail fetching and pushing and just have it manually update when you load up mail.

but for day to day use, i say leave push on, if your mail setup allows for it.

jcm

No

Push is literally the worst thing you can enable for your battery life. It will constantly look for new data like mail on the servers using your 3g/LTE connection.

Disable it. Put fetch to like 30 minutes or 1 hour. Put it to 15 minutes if you really need to read every new email and respond to them quickly.

That's not the way push email works. Push has a fairly light effect on battery life. It's probably worse than polling every 30 or 60 minutes, but it's much better than frequent polling.

It's not even close to the worst thing for your battery life. Most users can keep it enabled and have no trouble getting through the day on a charge.

Just got my iphone5 and set it up.

LGE is not working but I turned it off and 3G works fine. Why is that? Does it have anything to do with my plan (I'm on a damned family plan still)?
Nope, I'm on a family plan, works fine.

Check online for your provider to see if you have coverage for LTE

This isn't true at all. Push accounts for an extremely minuscule amount battery usage, and there are ton of things both in and out of your control that will have more impact on your battery life.

Talon

No

What's the point of having a phone with you when you're not going to use crucial features like push?

Also, I've been last 1.5 days pretty regularly with normal use.

Ashhong

4 days short of a month, but my iPhone is finally in the UPS delivery system, yay!

About time too, sold my SGS2 3 weeks ago and been using my 3GS, can't wait to have a fast phone again.

How much did you sell your S2 for?

No

How is push crucial for e-mail, especially if one doesn't get much of it?

I'm going to see how my battery is with push enabled, because I really like the convenience of being notified immediately, whether its emails or a game.

Is there any way to make wifi stay connected instead of going to LTE when the phone is on standby? I'm not sure which is better for battery/data usage (not unlimited) and I want to experiment.

andycapps

Is there any way to make wifi stay connected instead of going to LTE when the phone is on standby? I'm not sure which is better for battery/data usage (not unlimited) and I want to experiment.

Don't believe so. Android has an option to make wifi always stay on regardless of if the screen is off or not. Haven't found that on iOS. Maybe once it is jailbroken.

LevelNth

Banned
So I'm breaking down and getting a case for my 5 this week, gonna go with the ultra slim Moshi. I don't WANT to (love the naked look), but I'm irreparably terrified now after never dropping it and being uber careful, but then handing my phone to some idiot girl at the club on Saturday for her to put in her number, and she proceeds to immediately drop it.

No broken screen thankfully (would've lost my shit), but there is a nice little dent/scratch on the upper corner of course. All it takes is one stupid mistake and bam.

Remember the days when cell phones were cheap and simple devices? It felt like this girl dropped my god damn laptop!

mrkgoo

So I'm breaking down and getting a case for my 5 this week, gonna go with the ultra slim Moshi. I don't WANT to (love the naked look), but I'm irreparably terrified now after never dropping it and being uber careful, but then handing my phone to some idiot girl at the club on Saturday for her to put in her number, and she proceeds to immediately drop it.

No broken screen thankfully (would've lost my shit), but there is a nice little dent/scratch on the upper corner of course. All it takes is one stupid mistake and bam.

Remember the days when cell phones were cheap and simple devices? It felt like this girl dropped my god damn laptop!

I think the weight throws you a bit. And people also subconsciously baby expensive devices, but babying them leads to a light and delicate hold, which is asking for trouble.

When I got my iPhone 3G, I was showing my GF at the time motion x poker. She was impressed you could shake it to roll the dice and wanted to try. She took it, shook it, and threw it across the car.

mrkgoo

I was just reading in some other thread about how the wifi goes off in standby. This can't be right can it? I mean, I've seen the wifi signal turn on when I wake my phone, but is it really using just cellular data when in sleep?

That makes no sense to me.

krpiper

I was just reading in some other thread about how the wifi goes off in standby. This can't be right can it? I mean, I've seen the wifi signal turn on when I wake my phone, but is it really using just cellular data when in sleep?

My Droid 2 Global does this as well :(

Anyway I placed my order for mine through Verizon (Black 32) on Sunday and they say it will be shipped on the 16th with 2 day shipping

Marco1

Trying to sell my ip5 on ebay and everytime it asks for the IMEI number it throws me back to the start.
I know my phone is unlocked and legal FFS!

Ashhong

I feel like it turns off in standby, but goes back on when the phone needs any data and its available. I have seen no increase in data usage while in standby.

And I have an issue with manually managing music and playlists on this thing. Can anybody recreate this? Basically the playorder of the playlist I create/add to my iPhone from iTunes doesnt save. I have to right click each playlist and press Copy to Play Order. Is that normal? That's retarded

M_A_C

How much did you sell your S2 for?

I'm going to see how my battery is with push enabled, because I really like the convenience of being notified immediately, whether its emails or a game.

I turned everything to fetch for 30min and I think the battery life was worse for my phone just sitting in the car at work...

Another other tips?

What is the current fastest way to get an Iphone 5?

I'm on AT&T and all their stores in my city are out of stock along with all the apple stores. The people at the apple store told me to try ordering online on the apple website and to choose pickup from local so that they can hold a phone for me once they get a shipment, but the site says all my apple stores are unavailable for pickup so now I'm stuck. I really don't wanna wait the 3-4 weeks it could take to ship to my home. Are there any alternatives?

Ashhong

What is the current fastest way to get an Iphone 5?

I'm on AT&T and all their stores in my city are out of stock along with all the apple stores. The people at the apple store told me to try ordering online on the apple website and to choose pickup from local so that they can hold a phone for me once they get a shipment, but the site says all my apple stores are unavailable for pickup so now I'm stuck. I really don't wanna wait the 3-4 weeks it could take to ship to my home. Are there any alternatives?

Put the phone in your cart and check store availability at 9:55-10:10PM every night, local time. Do it over and over. Shouldn't take over a week.

Mr.Fresh

I'm on my 3rd iPhone 5 now. My first was averaging 3.5 hours of battery life before dying, my second one had a camera lens that was loose to the touch, and my third one doesn't seem to be much better with battery life. 1% every two minutes while browsing on 3G/LTE (full bars for both). My iPhone 4 had amazing battery life and I'm on the same network using the same cell towers as before. I am honestly at a loss.

I'm about to be on my third one but for hardware reasons. My first one the button was pushed in to far and now the top button completely stopped working.

andycapps

Yes it is. Apple's decision seems to be that they turn off the wifi radio when it's on standby.

mrkgoo

Yes it is. Apple's decision seems to be that they turn off the wifi radio when it's on standby.

It didn't used to b this way did it? Why would you want it to use cellular data, when you have wifi available?

I'm on prepay and have very little data (although recently moved up tom500 mb from 100 mbnper month)

andycapps

It didn't used to b this way did it? Why would you want it to use cellular data, when you have wifi available?

I'm on prepay and have very little data (although recently moved up tom500 mb from 100 mbnper month)

Well, due to how multitasking is handled on iOS, I think the amount of data received when in standby is probably negligible. You could track it in your usage and see if it's any big deal.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Have you iPhone 5 users noticed a dramatic decrease in keyboard lag? This is one of the most annoying things about my 4.
Keyboard lag can get insane with 4 with IOS6, one thing that annoys me the most about the phone now. I haven't noticed any when testing 5 the other day. It feels *sigh* like 4 felt under ios4, or perhaps even a bit smoother.

Just (finally) got my new 5. I had a 4. First impressions, this screen is goregeous. I like the longer size (it fits my huge hands) but I'm not too crazy about how the home button clicks and I don't like this microphone icon on the keyboard I keep hitting it on accident. Speaker seems louder but not clearer sounding and the pictures are mindblowingly good

So many of my favorite apps still are on the old aspect ratio. Ughhh even video ones like WatchESPN...fix that shit!

krpiper

First world problems: My iPhone shipped from Verizon...to my home... (I am currently in school now, I had it shipped home as Verizon was saying it wouldnt be there until during Thanksgiving break)

Might just have to call up FedEx and hold it until I can get home, next week :(

th3dude

Seems like the right thread to ask this...

Thinking of switching from Android to an iPhone. My only concern is Google Voice. I use GV for all calls and texts. How's the iOS integration? From what I am reading, Google's app is meh but there is GV Mobile + which looks decent.

ChanHuk

Banned

Thinking of switching from Android to an iPhone. My only concern is Google Voice. I use GV for all calls and texts. How's the iOS integration? From what I am reading, Google's app is meh but there is GV Mobile + which looks decent.

There is no Google Voice integration. You have to manually launch the app to make calls and texts.

Honestly if thats what your concerned with stay with Android.

th3dude

Honestly if thats what your concerned with stay with Android.

Well, to be honest, GV on Android is nothing special either, so I don't understand this argument.

GV is more or less 'abandoned' by Google, at least in terms of Mobile apps, so I was just wondering how the iOS app was along with the 3rd party ones.

Mairu

Well, to be honest, GV on Android is nothing special either, so I don't understand this argument.

GV is more or less 'abandoned' by Google, at least in terms of Mobile apps, so I was just wondering how the iOS app was along with the 3rd party ones.

the official ios app is fine for me (other than letterboxing on iphone 5) but don't expect real 'integration' - there's push on texts and calls go through fine, but you have to use the app to make calls through gv

Top Bottom