• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

mrkgoo

Finally got my iPhone 5 that I ordered on launch day.

Coming from an iPhone 3G. There's a few things I really don't like about ios6, a fair few things in the music app. Looks like they've rearranged the order of playlists and stuff.

Podcast app is weird.

Hardware is fantastic though.

asdad123

Found a flaw with my launch 5. When putting a little bit of pressure on the edge of the screen, I can feel it move down and sometimes it makes a clicking noise. It seems like the screen is starting to come apart from the metal.

I noticed it when I opened an app and the screen clicked. Anyome else have this problem? Or can you check if your screen moves a tiny bit when pressed at the edges? Don't wanna go to the apple store if its nothing.

Finally got my iPhone 5 that I ordered on launch day.

Coming from an iPhone 3G. There's a few things I really don't like about ios6, a fair few things in the music app. Looks like they've rearranged the order of playlists and stuff.

Podcast app is weird.

Hardware is fantastic though.

You can edit the buttons on the bottom of the Music app. Also, don't give Apple's podcasts app a lick of your attention. Just go buy Downcast. Best app in the store.

Raelson

Found a flaw with my launch 5. When putting a little bit of pressure on the edge of the screen, I can feel it move down and sometimes it makes a clicking noise. It seems like the screen is starting to come apart from the metal.

I noticed it when I opened an app and the screen clicked. Anyome else have this problem? Or can you check if your screen moves a tiny bit when pressed at the edges? Don't wanna go to the apple store if its nothing.

Mine definitely doesn't do that. Sounds pretty bad.

andycapps

You can edit the buttons on the bottom of the Music app. Also, don't give Apple's podcasts app a lick of your attention. Just go buy Downcast. Best app in the store.

Never used Downcast, but I love Instacast. I stuck with the Apple Podcasts app for about 30 minutes. Such a horrible excuse for an app.

cjkeats

Never used Downcast, but I love Instacast. I stuck with the Apple Podcasts app for about 30 minutes. Such a horrible excuse for an app.

I switched from Instacast to Downcast. That update a while back left me salty. Downcast is alright, but it has it's issues.

My launch unit used to be the same way, never really noticed the screen moving (if it did, it wasn't much) but definitely had the clicking sound.

Somewhere along the way, it stopped doing it.

Ashhong

First world problems: My iPhone shipped from Verizon...to my home... (I am currently in school now, I had it shipped home as Verizon was saying it wouldnt be there until during Thanksgiving break)

Might just have to call up FedEx and hold it until I can get home, next week :(

Good luck, FedEx won't hold it. Everytime I kept telling them to do it they said they couldn't. You get 3 delivery attempts, and then they hold it at the FedEx facility for like 2-3 days. After that they send it to Verizon.

mrkgoo

No I meant the playlists have changed order. On my mac I numbered some playlists so they appear at the top. Now numbers appear at the bottom. And in cover flow, unknown artists used to appear at the back. Now they appear at the front.

Does ios6 have some strange crashing bug when rearranging apps in wiggle mode? Pretty consistently I'd have it crash out to an apple logo and then appear with apps in their original place.

Also, what is using my iCloud storage? I used to be using a few MB but now it's like 4GB. I don't have iCloud backup on so I can't even see.

Sigh, so my 5 fell out of my pocket as I was pulling out my bus pass and of course the screen completely shatters. Had a 4 for more than two years and nothing, and just my luck this gets destroyed first time I drop it.

I don't have apple care, so what are my options? From what I'm reading it seems the cheapest option is to take it back to them and they'll give me a new one...for $200 or so. Is that really it?

Got a iPhone 5 through work. Love it! But WIFI performance is not so great. Unless I'm in close proximity to a WIFI router it does not pick it up! My old 3GS was able to have decent WIFI connections outside bulidings here at work. Now... no connection with iPhone 5. LTE coverage is pretty spotty here too!

bonesquad

No I meant the playlists have changed order. On my mac I numbered some playlists so they appear at the top. Now numbers appear at the bottom. And in cover flow, unknown artists used to appear at the back. Now they appear at the front.

Does ios6 have some strange crashing bug when rearranging apps in wiggle mode? Pretty consistently I'd have it crash out to an apple logo and then appear with apps in their original place.

Also, what is using my iCloud storage? I used to be using a few MB but now it's like 4GB. I don't have iCloud backup on so I can't even see.

I think they moved numbers to the bottom of the list long before iOS 6, and who uses coverflow? :)

I had that bug, but it only happened once. There was one app whenever I tried to move it, my phone would reset. I moved another app first, then I could move it just fine. Weird.

You really think we're all psychic, huh:) Even without backups on you can see what is using your storage: iCloud > Storage & Backup > Manage Storage

Ashhong

Playlist is so wonky now. I posted before about how it doesn't follow the tracklist order that I set in iTunes automatically. Why?!

So my parents share the same Apple ID and when one installs an app the other phone does too. How do I turn that off? I don't have iTunes wifi sync on..

mrkgoo

I think they moved numbers to the bottom of the list long before iOS 6, and who uses coverflow? :)

I had that bug, but it only happened once. There was one app whenever I tried to move it, my phone would reset. I moved another app first, then I could move it just fine. Weird.

You really think we're all psychic, huh:) Even without backups on you can see what is using your storage: iCloud > Storage & Backup > Manage Storage

Yeah, I checked that in multiple places. It says:
icloud backups: oKB
Keynote: 17 Mb
Mail: 100kb
numbers 2.3 MB
handful of other apps at 3kb each

TOTAL: 4.15 GB, 825MB remaining.

Some math here is wrong.

inother news, looks like I've been activated for an @icloud.com email address.

Got a iPhone 5 through work. Love it! But WIFI performance is not so great. Unless I'm in close proximity to a WIFI router it does not pick it up! My old 3GS was able to have decent WIFI connections outside bulidings here at work. Now... no connection with iPhone 5. LTE coverage is pretty spotty here too!

LTE is pretty amazing for me...almost makes wifi redundant for me

Sigh, so my 5 fell out of my pocket as I was pulling out my bus pass and of course the screen completely shatters. Had a 4 for more than two years and nothing, and just my luck this gets destroyed first time I drop it.

I don't have apple care, so what are my options? From what I'm reading it seems the cheapest option is to take it back to them and they'll give me a new one...for $200 or so. Is that really it?

How long have you had it? I'd say go to the Apple store and hopefully they won't charge you.
Just make sure to show how extremely bummed you are.

How long have you had it? I'd say go to the Apple store and hopefully they won't charge you.
Just make sure to show how extremely bummed you are.
Less than a month, lol.

Can you buy Apple Care+ after the fact and pretend it wasn't already broken? lol
I think they have to check it in store if you want to buy it after the fact, unfortunately. Trust me, that was my first thought too haha.

sangreal

Can you buy Apple Care+ after the fact and pretend it wasn't already broken? lol

No, you have to bring it in for inspection. I was able to buy insurance from Assurian/Verizon over the phone even though 30 days had passed though. Not that it would save much of any money over just paying the $200 at Apple

Ashhong

Less than a month, lol.

I think they have to check it in store if you want to buy it after the fact, unfortunately. Trust me, that was my first thought too haha.

If you aren't against "claim fraud" then I suggest Squaretrade. Same warranty as the Apple+ but I don't see how they can inspect it beforehand.

If you aren't against "claim fraud" then I suggest Squaretrade. Same warranty as the Apple+ but I don't see how they can inspect it beforehand.
This looks promising.
So I checked my AT&T store receipt, and I ordered it more than a month ago, but I didn't actually get it until less than a month ago. Does that still count as having purchased it more than 30 days ago, even though I got charged on my card when it shipped?

jcm

It's $229 now.

Don't do this. It's unethical as hell, and you're only saving $80 anyway. What you should do, though, is see if your credit card company covers it. I know Amex used to offer accidental damage coverage for a year or so.

It's $229 now.

Don't do this. It's unethical as hell, and you're only saving $80 anyway. What you should do, though, is see if your credit card company covers it. I know Amex used to offer accidental damage coverage for a year or so.
No dice on the credit card.

Sorry to keep attacking the thread, but one last thing I was wondering if anyone knew...about how long did it take for cheap replacement screens to start being available as they are now for previous iPhone models? I would love to do it myself but prices are just as high as getting it fixed in store atm, but since the phone still works, I would consider waiting a couple months for that..as long as it's only a couple months.

Ashhong

Yea I know, just a suggestion. Though he would be saving more because he gets like 2 more accidental damage warranties while hes at it.

This looks promising.
So I checked my AT&T store receipt, and I ordered it more than a month ago, but I didn't actually get it until less than a month ago. Does that still count as having purchased it more than 30 days ago, even though I got charged on my card when it shipped?

Probably shipped/delivered.

Just got the phone last night (upgraded from a 3GS)... loving pretty much everything about it thus far (aside from maps of course), but I've encountered a problem: it won't pick up any of the wifi networks in or around my house. Not even when I input its info manually.

I'm going to take it out today and see if it's a problem with my router, or with the phone. Hopefully it'll discover other wifi networks and I can go from there.

Any idea if this is common or what a potential fix could be?

mrkgoo

Just got the phone last night (upgraded from a 3GS)... loving pretty much everything about it thus far (aside from maps of course), but I've encountered a problem: it won't pick up any of the wifi networks in or around my house. Not even when I input its info manually.

I'm going to take it out today and see if it's a problem with my router, or with the phone. Hopefully it'll discover other wifi networks and I can go from there.

Try the usual wifi trouble shooting. Down grade the security from wpa2 to EPA or even off to see if it connects.

Anyway, with my new iphone5, I've surprised myself at some of the things that I thought I would hate or not like as much and what I would appreciate.

Stuff I like more ham I thought I would:
The screen size I was a bit 'meh' about initially, but in practice, it does enhance the experience.
The design: sure I knew it would be nice, but the lightweight and thinness is markedly different to my 3G. So much so, that it feels like I have nothing in my pocket by comparison and I stand a chance of losing this because I didn't know I didn't have it.
Siri is much more useful than I anticipated, but still has trouble wih understanding my accent. Siri cannot understand my wife's name even though she gets it right. Mitt have to resort to 'my wife'.

Stuff I've found worse mostly relate to ios6. The added granular controls and settings serve to demonstrate how outdated huge long scrolling vertical lists are wih multiple nested menus.
Also the music app is not what I had hoped.

LaneDS

Previously I could connect to open wi-fi networks that require you to login (or provide credentials, like an e-mail address) through your browser, but since switching to an iPhone 5 (or more specifically, iOS6 which I think is the culprit) I will often not be redirected to the login page when trying to use this type of wireless network. I've not been able to find a setting that addresses this issue, and "forgetting" the network and re-adding it also doesn't work. Sometimes my phone will prompt me to login and it works fine, most of the time it will not and I can't figure out what is causing it to work or not.

Anyone have advice on that, or know if it's a known issue with the update?

Edit: For reference, it sees the network and connects just fine; the login page (where an e-mail address is required to be submitted before using the wifi network) is not showing up some/most of the time.

Vyer

Posted? AT&T going to allow Facetime for iPhone 5 without a shared data plan.

AT&T said Thursday that it will allow all subscribers to access FaceTime on Apple devices, reversing a controversial policy to block the app for certain data plan customers.

The company said that within eight to 10 weeks, the video and voice calling app will be available to subscribers of older unlimited and tiered data plans. In September, AT&T said those customers of the new iPhone 5 or iOS6 wouldn’t have access to FaceTime. The company offered the app only for new Apple device customers who agreed to buy into shared data plans, in which the company bundles together data charges for multiple devices.

Buttons

So after waiting 6 weeks for my 16GB white iPhone 5 it finally arrived today. I am just in love with the phone, the build quality is gorgeous and the screen is amazing. I've been using Android ever since I got my first smartphone (HTC Magic) years and years ago and I always liked it, but I really love how intuitive and responsive iOS is.

My previous phone was a Droid 2 which is only 2 years old but I am simply blown away at how fast this iPhone is, am so happy. :D

tmdorsey

Did you update to 6.0.1?

Take it to an Apple store. I've accidentally smashed a couple of iPhones and iPads and they always replaced them for free (even one out of warranty). "We're not supposed to do this, but just this once..." The policy changed when they started selling the insurance, but you might have luck, and it can't hurt to try (and try again at a different store or time if it doesn't work). When they declined to replace my last smashed iPhone (my wife is actually the butterfingers here), I had the screen replaced at a kiosk. They messed it up and ironically Apple ended up replacing it to a (probably related) battery issue (took it in for the battery problem and the Genius noticed the screen was loose).

I'm having some touchscreen issues with my 5. Sometimes it takes a second or repeated attempts to register swipes or taps.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
Integration probably wasn't the best word, sorry.

I just meant how is the experience? Push notifications, making calls, sending texts, etc.

It's terrible, don't do it. The google voice app is very slow because of the way iOS works. You'll get a push notification, but when you launch the app it has to download all the sms so it makes it really laggy.

I have been using google voice for 4+ years, and I finally decided to give up on my google voice number so I could use other OSes.

Unless you're on sprint, who has google voice integration.

SsTvhl.jpg]

I'm pretty impressed with the battery life. This was a heavy day of LTE usage. Pretty much surfed GAF and listened to podcasts all day

Sup iPhone5 GAF, I've about had it with T-Mobile's crappy network and crappy phones and I'm planning to switch sometime next week to an iPhone 5. But reading the last few pages of the thread, it kinda sounds like I should avoid it... there seems to be a lot of issues with the phone so I'm kinda weary about it.

So I guess what I'm asking is, are these issues isolated or are they common?

Also, is 16gb enough? I feel like I'm gonna run out of space with that, but I'm not exactly sure lol.

Mairu

Ever since the 6.0.1 update, my wifi signal always displays as weak on the status bar - even if it's a strong signal and I'm not having any connection problems. It's not a big deal, since it's just the icon, but it's kind of an annoyance. Anyone having similar problems?

So my wifi signal at home (in general) is pretty weak, but my iPhone 3GS still picks up on it easily, every time.

My iPhone 5 can't find it at all. I don't know what to do. It's running on the latest OS, I've tried rebooting, and it picks up wifi signals elsewhere, just not at home, which is a huge pain since I download all of my apps wirelessly instead of through iTunes. I've already tried resetting my router, and that's done nothing.

help :(

Ashhong

Has anybody had a problem with their text sound volume being really low? You know how the text sound goes lower when you are listening to music? It was stuck at that volume. I had to restart the phone to fix it. Am I missing something? Even force closed the iPod app

So my girlfriend's over with her iPhone 4 and I've got my iPhone 3GS turned on and they both recognize the wifi signal just fine. iPhone 5 can't find it at all.

The hell do I do!

njean777

I was just reading in some other thread about how the wifi goes off in standby. This can't be right can it? I mean, I've seen the wifi signal turn on when I wake my phone, but is it really using just cellular data when in sleep?

That makes no sense to me.

Yes it does do this, it is really annoying. It supposedly does this to conserve battery life.

Top Bottom