• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

I would at this point try some outlandish things.... Change the security type on the encryption / SSID of the router... It's not looking good though :( Does it connect and see other wifi networks?
So here's the situation for my home: I live in the basement suite, and the wireless router is upstairs on the main floor (landlord's floor). So I can't actually actively mess around with the wifi stuff whenever I want.

The signal I get from the living room (in the basement) is often weak to very weak. From my bedroom, it's acceptable. From my house, I can locate my landlord's wifi signal, and approximately 3-4 other ones from neighboring houses. I can see all of these options on my laptop, my girlfriend's iPhone 4, my 3GS, etc. So they're definitely there.

When I go out with my iPhone 5, say to a university or downtown and turn the wifi on, it picks up tons of connections, including the ones I'm used to seeing.

But for whatever reason, when I'm in my house it can't find any. Even when I type in the name of the wifi network manually, it can't find it, nor any of the neighbors connections.

It just doesn't make sense to me :(

Update: I just went to the part of the suite that has the best wifi access, held the phone up like the damn statue of liberty, and it found the wifi signal. I held it in air, typed in the password, and it connected! I then walked back into my main room (where my iPad 2, iPhone 3GS, and laptop all have wifi connections) and the signal disappeared.

So it looks like the wifi works on my iPhone 5, but only in the near my bedroom closet :/

krpiper

Good luck, FedEx won't hold it. Everytime I kept telling them to do it they said they couldn't. You get 3 delivery attempts, and then they hold it at the FedEx facility for like 2-3 days. After that they send it to Verizon.

It says its due to be delivered today but the online tracking page hasnt been updated :/

Oh well I had my neighbor put a note on the door, a "indirect signature" is what they call it

andycapps

My 3GS has full (wifi) bars and my 5 can't find the connection anymore. Fuck me, this is maddening.

Maybe it's a bad wifi antenna. The wifi on my 5 is great. I can be getting in my car outside at work and have wifi until I pull out in the street. Same at my house. Do you have those issues with other wireless networks or just your own?

Buttons

Maybe it's a bad wifi antenna. The wifi on my 5 is great. I can be getting in my car outside at work and have wifi until I pull out in the street. Same at my house. Do you have those issues with other wireless networks or just your own?

My wifi also works perfectly so far. :eek: Loving this phone. :D

btkadams

just got the 5 last night! it is just finishing downloading apps from my restore now. it feels great! it's crazy how much lighter it is than my 4s (my mom had an upgrade, so i consumerwhored and paid for it to get myself the 5).

Mindwipe

Has anyone got any recommendations for a good solitaire app that has iPhone 5 ratio support?

I’ve used Platinum Solitaire for literally years, but Gameloft never even updated that title with retina support, so I think I can safely predict iPhone 5 support isn't coming. Ideally if it did spider as well that would be good.

Also looking for recommendations for a good drawing program (to replace Sketches) and a good UK based TV guide on the same basis too if anyone has them.

mrkgoo

Uh oh here comes ... Uh..... "Diagonal scroll...gate"?

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/09...ration-ipod-touch-with-rapid-diagonal-swipes/

Apparently the iPhone 5 will lose touch input during furious diagonal swipes.

Just tried it on my iPhone 5 and replicable. It SOUNDS like a hardware thing, but I suppose it could be software related and arises due to drivers for the iPhone 5 digitiser. Can't say I'm particularly bothered as I'm pretty sure j probably never would gave found this out except maybe in fruit ninja.

mrkgoo

Has anyone got any recommendations for a good solitaire app that has iPhone 5 ratio support?

I’ve used Platinum Solitaire for literally years, but Gameloft never even updated that title with retina support, so I think I can safely predict iPhone 5 support isn't coming. Ideally if it did spider as well that would be good.

Also looking for recommendations for a good drawing program (to replace Sketches) and a good UK based TV guide on the same basis too if anyone has them.

I've had a few solitaire apps since ios2, and the one I kept was solebon solitaire, which has retina and iphone5 support I noticed. It doesn't have spider but spiderette and spiderling.

I also have mondo solitaire, but haven't checked it out yet fir new support.

btkadams

i'm looking at trimming down the games/apps on my phone. i have put it off for so long because so many of them are purchases (mostly from sales) but i've never actually played a bunch of them.

is there a way of keeping game saves, settings or leaderboard stats when i delete a game/app from my phone? i don't sync with itunes, just icloud.

Appleman

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/09...ration-ipod-touch-with-rapid-diagonal-swipes/

Just tried it on my iPhone 5 and replicable. It SOUNDS like a hardware thing, but I suppose it could be software related and arises due to drivers for the iPhone 5 digitiser. Can't say I'm particularly bothered as I'm pretty sure j probably never would gave found this out except maybe in fruit ninja.

Happens on mine too. Don't care at all though, the amount of swiping to have it affect me would be ridiculous. Also can't imagine it's a hardware thing since it has no trouble keeping up for the first few seconds...

Aiii

So not worth it

One of my teachers always said that when people start complaining about the tiniest "bugs" you've done a great job at your application.

Happens on mine too. Don't care at all though, the amount of swiping to have it affect me would be ridiculous. Also can't imagine it's a hardware thing since it has no trouble keeping up for the first few seconds...

Can't replicate it. Maybe I'm doing it wrong lol.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
LTTP on this but I just got my iPhone 5. My previous phone was a 3 so it's quite an upgrade.

Apple maps works fine for my area from my experience so far which is a relief. I need an alternative youtube app though and it looks like Google's has a very low star rating from the App store.

Any suggestions? Also optimization tips and other app suggestions that take advantage of the upgrade are appreciated.

I switched providers from ATT to Verizon. What's the difference between 3G and LTE?

Hi guys. Just ordered my iphone 5.

I got a few questions.

Is there a SD card reader that I can just plug into iphone5 and transfer my photos to it?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
LTTP on this but I just got my iPhone 5. My previous phone was a 3 so it's quite an upgrade.

Apple maps works fine for my area from my experience so far which is a relief. I need an alternative youtube app though and it looks like Google's has a very low star rating from the App store.

Any suggestions? Also optimization tips and other app suggestions that take advantage of the upgrade are appreciated.

I switched providers from ATT to Verizon. What's the difference between 3G and LTE?

Mctube is awesome on my iPad, not sure how the phone experience is.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Interesting. Before I even connected to my wi-fi GAF was extremely snappy on LTE so I'm pleased so far. I'll check out McTube as well. Was a bit disappointed in the OP since it doesn't have any useful information like optimizations or apps and just posted pictures. Unless there is a general Apple thread I should be looking for? Regardless, Yaboosh and Ash your responses are appreciated, ty.

bonesquad

Interesting. Before I even connected to my wi-fi GAF was extremely snappy on LTE so I'm pleased so far. I'll check out McTube as well. Was a bit disappointed in the OP since it doesn't have any useful information like optimizations or apps and just posted pictures. Unless there is a general Apple thread I should be looking for? Regardless, Yaboosh and Ash your responses are appreciated, ty.

McTube is good if you need offline caching. Otherwise Jasmine is my preferred Youtube client especially because I can minimize the app (or lock my screen) and still continue playing the sound. (The official app isn't terrible, it just isn't iPad or iPhone 5 optimized.)

There are other threads specific to apps, but I think they were updated even longer ago...

Ashhong

This thread for iOS6

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=477967

There's an App thread too but I can't find it for some reason.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
McTube is good if you need offline caching. Otherwise Jasmine is my preferred Youtube client especially because I can minimize the app (or lock my screen) and still continue playing the sound. (The official app isn't terrible, it just isn't iPad or iPhone 5 optimized.)

There are other threads specific to apps, but I think they were updated even longer ago...
Jasmine! That's the one I remember being mentioned before. And I was just playing around with McTube and lamenting the fact that I couldn't listen to music in the background. And yeah I will probably still keep McTube as offline caching might come in handy down the line. Cheers bonesquad!

This thread for iOS6

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=477967

There's an App thread too but I can't find it for some reason.
Hm, that's weird. I've got the iOS gaming thread bookmarked but I'll post around in the iOS6 thread for general app suggestions. Thanks dude.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
But for whatever reason, when I'm in my house it can't find any. Even when I type in the name of the wifi network manually, it can't find it, nor any of the neighbors connections.

It just doesn't make sense to me :(
If it's a weak signal, it kind of makes sense. I've read tons of people complaining that their iphone 5 doesn't pick up weaker wifi signals as well as the older iphones. Then again others claim there's no problem at all, so maybe it was a specific batch.

mrkgoo

Actually after some thought, I think it's probably software. It's not about 'keeping up', it's just it suddenly cuts out any response. Like you've hit some software thing. It happens only when I try REALLY fast. But the reason I probably think software now is that it's only on diagonal. I figured that it might be related to teh feature where Apple program in different responses to diagonal and vertical/horizontal motions in the initiation of gesture (for example, when scrolling, if you initiate a diagonal it will be free scroll, but if you initiate a vertical, it will lock vertical).

Has anybody had a problem with their text sound volume being really low? You know how the text sound goes lower when you are listening to music? It was stuck at that volume. I had to restart the phone to fix it. Am I missing something? Even force closed the iPod app

Yup. It's one of the many bugs I've experienced. Always requires a restart.

Interestingly, I haven't experienced it since updating my phone to 6.01

SJRB

Gold Member
Why doesn't the iPhone5 have a led indicator to notify me that I have a missed call/message? I've had several occasions where I had missed a call and didn't notice it until hours later when I actually used my phone.

This annoys me to no end.

cjkeats

Why doesn't the iPhone5 have a led indicator to notify me that I have a missed call/message? I've had several occasions where I had missed a call and didn't notice it until hours later when I actually used my phone.

I miss that from my Blackberry. In the setting you can set the camera to flash when you get something. It's bright as all hell and not much good if it's face up on your desk or something.

mrkgoo

I think assistive features can be turned on that use teh LED flash as a notifier, but I only saw it on settings, i don't know how useful it is.

Cheech

Just ordered a 32 gig 5 from Verizon today. Says the ship date is the 16th. Anyone get theirs earlier than Verizon is saying? I am going away next weekend and could REALLY use the LTE.

Also, how widespread is the Wifi bug? That would drive me insane.

Ovid

I'm telling you, the sexiest way Apple can put a visible notifier would be to put a pulsating white LED (that slowly fades in and out) into the home button. It would look great on a black iPhone since the home button is white.

Wiz

It seems like I can't hold on to my LTE for more than 5 minutes now before it drops to 3G

Anyone else have this problem?

Blackhead

Redarse
I think assistive features can be turned on that use teh LED flash as a notifier, but I only saw it on settings, i don't know how useful it is.

It's useless. It only flashes at the time of the notification (so if you were able to see the flash you probably would have heard the alert tone or saw the screen light anyway). And you don't want to put an iPhone facedown all the time in order to catch the flash as that's the fastest way to get scratches on the screen.

Ashhong

I'm telling you, the sexiest way Apple can put a visible notifier would be to put a pulsating white LED (that slowly fades in and out) into the home button. It would look great on a black iPhone since the home button is white.

Shit, that would be great. I noticed on the white iPhone, the outline of the square in that button is kind of translucent. They could put something in there to light up.

krpiper

Just ordered a 32 gig 5 from Verizon today. Says the ship date is the 16th. Anyone get theirs earlier than Verizon is saying? I am going away next weekend and could REALLY use the LTE.

Also, how widespread is the Wifi bug? That would drive me insane.

I ordered mine on the 4th and it shipped the 7th and I got it this morning

Jasmine! That's the one I remember being mentioned before. And I was just playing around with McTube and lamenting the fact that I couldn't listen to music in the background. And yeah I will probably still keep McTube as offline caching might come in handy down the line. Cheers bonesquad!

Hm, that's weird. I've got the iOS gaming thread bookmarked but I'll post around in the iOS6 thread for general app suggestions. Thanks dude.

I use Jasmine for regular YouTube browsing but as far as my favorite YouTube app it would have to be mediaburner. Not only does it let me download all videos directly to my phone but it lets me watch videos normally blocked on mobile devices. Also works in background, and iphone 5 screen. It was free when I got it but I think it's 99 cents now. I highly recommend it.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Finally received my 16GB black iPhone 5. Took me around a month to actually get it in my hands thanks to the continuous screwups by the store I bought it at.

I got a 30 EUR gift voucher as compensation, and upon close inspection the unit is absolutely pristine. Not a dead pixel or scratch to be found.

Do you guys know if there is a SD card reader to iPhone 5 yet?

Need to use the phone as a way of editing photos on my New zealand trip now in December

Top Bottom