• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

mf.luder

I keep getting a weird bug. I press the on/off button to turn the screen on and it immediately turns off. I press it a few more times and it finally works. It's frustrating. It will do the same thing when I'm on a phone call.

mrkgoo

Walled garden.
You would think so, but they do allow it for iPad. They limit connectivity to be more controlling for sure, but I do find it strange that they don't allow the ad adaptor on the iPhone.

Anyway, more time with my iphone5. Still marvelling at the design of this phone. It really is several steps above the iPhone 4. The taller screen is useful, but don't let the ads fool you - it's harder to use. I can't reach the top and bottom as easily, having to shuffle the phone a little to get there.

I was going to say couldn't imagine a 5" screen, but a wider screen would then bump it into two hand use slightly, and this probably be a bit different. As it stands though, I LOVE the design. The black model is just a black slab when off. It's gorgeous. I have anniphone 3G, 4, and 4S in the household and its amazing - every design trumps the one before making it seem so 'old-fashioned'. I don't know how apple does it. I didn't think apple could too the iphone4, but they have. Even in pics, I thought the iPhone 5 was nice, but I could see why people would like the 4. And I personally liked the lumia900 design more. But after a bit more time, the cold smooth slate is just... Amazing.

How are everyone's iPhones looking that are caseless?

Mine has some pretty noticeable marks all around the edge. It still looks good, but yeah there are a lot of marks after about a month and a half of use.

def sim

Mine has some pretty noticeable marks all around the edge. It still looks good, but yeah there are a lot of marks after about a month and a half of use.

I've had one since release and I managed to get a faint scuff on the top side of my phone. I was sending a text and I bumped my phone into a door frame as I was turning. Whoops.

LCfiner

zero marks or scuffs (black model) after 3 weeks of use. I'm actually kinda surprised. I'm sure I'll knock it against a wall while walking around one day and I'll get a chip. but for now, nothing.

mrkgoo

Really, they dont support sd card readers?

why do a big company like Apple block such a big products like a sd card reader?

How's this for crappy though - my old iPhone charger doesn't work for the iPhone 5. It's an older iPod USB charger, but it's the same specifications as teh 5W USB charger that comes with the iPhone5.

zero marks or scuffs (black model) after 3 weeks of use. I'm actually kinda surprised. I'm sure I'll knock it against a wall while walking around one day and I'll get a chip. but for now, nothing.

Mine is good. Only had it for a week. Naked is such a good experience. The key is to grab it fully and not be too delicate or you might drop it. I fear handing it to people who naturally want to grab it by the edges...it's too thin, theres no grip there.

Talon

How's this for crappy though - my old iPhone charger doesn't work for the iPhone 5. It's an older iPod USB charger, but it's the same specifications as teh 5W USB charger that comes with the iPhone5.
Huh, really? I'm using an iPod Mini charger from 2005 (don't ask why), and it works just fine.

Natetan

I really wish the lightning connector was magnetic like the MBP charger was. It's harder to plug in and worries me I might start scratching my phone trying to just plug in the charger.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I have light scuffs around the beveled edges on left and bottom of phone.
Also some light dents top and bottom left sides.

Both results of two different drops.
Back and front still mint.

Having a lot of issues with my phone after going to 6.01

Home screen flicks on/off on its own. Freezes during apps. Hard lock once every day or every other day.

Is it the phone or the software? Never had issues like this before.

Sushigod7

So just ordered two white 16gb for my wife and I. They are shipping next Friday from Verizon is the majority opinion here naked phones (no case or screen protector)?

These new earbuds are surprisingly decent. Still a far cry from my sennheisers, but still.

Agreed. Though as expected they start falling out of my ears the instant I move and then sound bad again. I don't understand how so many people are able to keep these in their ears. The PortaPros remain my exercise/work around the house headphone.

LiK

my 32GB Black iPhone doesn't ship until 11/16. pretty soon. gonna use the "loophole" to get the Unlimited plan.

Natetan

The honeymoon period of my iPhone 5 is over completely. I think I might actually prefer the 4. I still like it though.

I know that feel. I miss my finger being able to effortlessly access the entire screen, but most if the menus are way in the upper right corner (I'm left handed).

Wish they would start putting menus etc at the bottom of the screen so you can press it quickly one handed.

I know that feel. I miss my finger being able to effortlessly access the entire screen, but most if the menus are way in the upper right corner (I'm left handed).

Wish they would start putting menus etc at the bottom of the screen so you can press it quickly one handed.

I am adjusting to the size of the screen, but after using the 5 for a month or so and then occasionally picking up my wife's 4S I cant go back. The 4S just feels like a dense brick after using the 5. And the sheer speed increase in the OS over my old 4 is nuts, as is the LTE speed.

mrkgoo

I am adjusting to the size of the screen, but after using the 5 for a month or so and then occasionally picking up my wife's 4S I cant go back. The 4S just feels like a dense brick after using the 5. And the sheer speed increase in the OS over my old 4 is nuts, as is the LTE speed.

Yah. Well, I never had a 4, I moved to iPhone 5 from 3G, so yeah, not going back :p.

The more time I spend with it, I discover that the screen IS a little more awkward to use. But it's so snappy, and I love the weight and feel.

And before I succumb to scuffing, time to record for posterity's sake:

Natetan

I do like the headphone jack at the bottom, the new earbuds. And the lightness is nice.

I guess I don't think lte is that fast. Still takes forever to load a image heavy GAF page, essentially exact same speed as my iPhone 4. I dunno, seeing the speeds people were posting I thought pages would load instantaneously. Seems my phone spends a lot of time and power switching between 3G and lte. When i switched from 3 to 4 it was noticeable. At least with apps and things.

Rlan

So it seems that the iPhone 5 is still difficult to get in Australia.

I finally had all the stuff I wanted (case etc) so I could upgrade to a 5 with everything available, but I have to go through awful hoops to get one.

So instead of going to the Apple Store and walking in and getting one, I need to go to http://www.apple.com/au/iphone/ , put my name down with the type and size I want (I want to buy it outright, black, 64GB, as I can use my work for a salary sacrifice).

Putting down my name only gives me a CHANCE to get one today. If I don't get a call that day, I have to put my name down again until they say one is available for me!

Christ.

Garou

Dat battery life! I could get another 5 hours out of that I guess.

yi1xM.jpg

raven777

Yah. Well, I never had a 4, I moved to iPhone 5 from 3G, so yeah, not going back :p.

The more time I spend with it, I discover that the screen IS a little more awkward to use. But it's so snappy, and I love the weight and feel.

And before I succumb to scuffing, time to record for posterity's sake:

Those pictures are amazing!

So I've decided on a 32GB white iP5... gotta wait until next Saturday though since I still have a couple of days before my T-Mobile contract drops the ETF fees to $50 a line.

The phone is beautiful, I don't understand why people would need to add some gaudy case to "personalize" it. So far, the Spigen SGP Soft Clear Case is the only one that people at MacRumors suggest. But I was looking for a case that actually offered a little drop protection since I tend to be a little rough on my devices. So I was told to get the Poetic Atmosphere case instead if I wanted some protection. Does anybody have any experience/reviews with both of the cases? Also, if y'all have any other suggestions for clear/naked cases, that'll be awesome.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yep, this phone is absolutely gorgeous, not going to package it in a cheap 10$ case.

I will get myself a nice leather sleeve for when i'm putting it in my bag or something though.

I do like the headphone jack at the bottom, the new earbuds. And the lightness is nice.

I guess I don't think lte is that fast. Still takes forever to load a image heavy GAF page, essentially exact same speed as my iPhone 4. I dunno, seeing the speeds people were posting I thought pages would load instantaneously. Seems my phone spends a lot of time and power switching between 3G and lte. When i switched from 3 to 4 it was noticeable. At least with apps and things.

I was averaging like 1-2mbps on 3G with my 4. Now on LTE it is 15-22mbps. That is a crazy increase for me. Not as insane as some other posters, but still amazing.

Looks like I'm going to have to go to an Apple Store and exchange my phone :/

99% of the time it can't pick up the (admittedly weak) wifi signal in my apartment suite. My iPhone 3GS and iPad 2 can, my laptops can, and my girlfriend's iPhone 4 can, but not the 5. Really hope it's just an individual hardware fault and not exemplary of all iPhone 5's.

Even worse, I won't be in a city that has an Apple Store for at least 3 weeks.

mrkgoo

Those pictures are amazing!
Thanks!

Just want to make a point about the lengthened design.

It seems they made the phone taller, but didn't shift the volume controls up to match.

I tend to want to hold 'higher', because otherwise the centre of mass is slightly high and close to the top edge of my hand when one-hand holding the phone, and I risk dropping it.

The keyboard and volume controls are actually positioned for 'low' use. If I one hand thumb type and hold, it feels like I don't have a good grip.

It's also a problem when passing the phone to people. The aluminium is slippery, and because of its weight and thinness it us not a good idea to grip it only by the sides with a pinching shape. You need to get a good grip on the front and back and cradle it, but people's natural response is to want to grab it delicately by the edges. Not good.

So I switched from AT&T to Verizon and the signal at my house kind of sucks. 1-2 bars on V as opposed to a full 5 bars when I was on AT&T with my iPhone 4. Should I call and threaten to go back to AT&T within my 14 day trial and ask for one of those signal extenders?

Ok... what the hell?

My iPhone 5 16G Black used to shutdown when the battery charge reach below 1% like any other regular device.

But recently it started to shutdown between 18% - 15%........ THE HELL?

Why this is happening to my iPhone? any way to fix this sh*t?

is this a normal problem?

Raelson

For those looking for a charging dock, I found this thread over on mac rumors that has a video of a dude making one with his earpod case. I tried it out (took around 10 minutes) and it actually works great, even with my bulky credit card holder case. Heres my results post over there with a link to the video and my completed pictures:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16266154&postcount=358

I just did this. Works great! Thanks.

Top Bottom