• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

-Winnie-

I bought a silicon case for my iPhone, and it protects it nicely without looking too garish... but damn, whenever I take the phone out of the case, it blows my mind all over again just how damn thin this thing is. I wish I could leave it naked, but I'd rather not risk dropping and destroying it.

Meier

Finally upgraded this weekend.. what's the deal with not being able to set a wi-fi network to not auto-join? I don't even understand why they would remove this functionality -- what purpose does it serve? It'll definitely take some getting used to the new row of icons as well.. I've become so accustomed over the years to how many I had and their placement on my home page.

The odd tint of the screen will take some getting used to as well. It's weird not actually seeing white.

I find the upgrades from a 4 quite compelling actually. The form factor is amazing, camera is leagues ahead. Snappier. Has Siri.

Can't really envision a time I ever use Siri, but the speed difference is astronomical from the 4. Everything loads so much faster now.. pulling up an image in a group text is instantaneous whereas before it definitely took 1+ seconds to fully show up. It's huge. Haven't really had a chance to get to use the camera yet but definitely excited about that improvement although I'm sad they didn't make it any better than the one in the 4S (which was the most compelling feature of the 4S for me.. made it hard not to upgrade).

mrkgoo

Finally upgraded this weekend.. what's the deal with not being able to set a wi-fi network to not auto-join? I don't even understand why they would remove this functionality -- what purpose does it serve? It'll definitely take some getting used to the new row of icons as well.. I've become so accustomed over the years to how many I had and their placement on my home page.

The odd tint of the screen will take some getting used to as well. It's weird not actually seeing white.

Can't really envision a time I ever use Siri, but the speed difference is astronomical from the 4. Everything loads so much faster now.. pulling up an image in a group text is instantaneous whereas before it definitely took 1+ seconds to fully show up. It's huge. Haven't really had a chance to get to use the camera yet but definitely excited about that improvement although I'm sad they didn't make it any better than the one in the 4S (which was the most compelling feature of the 4S for me.. made it hard not to upgrade).

The 5 has actually quite surprised me in what I thought I would appreciate and what I wouldn't. I find Siri very compelling. It's just super useful to now have to actually do anything to get stuff done. Suits not perfect, and something like this should really be close to perfect to be really useful, but it works 80% of the time, making it worth at least trying the first time for small things.

Finally upgraded this weekend.. what's the deal with not being able to set a wi-fi network to not auto-join? I don't even understand why they would remove this functionality -- what purpose does it serve?

Assuming iOS6 is the same on iPad and iPhone,
Settings -> WiFi -> your active network -> Forget this network

Unless something has changed that I'm not aware of that should prevent it from auto rejoining in the future

Vyer

Looks like I'm going to have to go to an Apple Store and exchange my phone :/

99% of the time it can't pick up the (admittedly weak) wifi signal in my apartment suite. My iPhone 3GS and iPad 2 can, my laptops can, and my girlfriend's iPhone 4 can, but not the 5. Really hope it's just an individual hardware fault and not exemplary of all iPhone 5's.

Even worse, I won't be in a city that has an Apple Store for at least 3 weeks.

Do you have access to the, uh, access point? How old is it/has the firmware been updated anytime recently? May help

Patriots7

Debating between 16GB and 32GB.

My old iPhone 4 had 8GB and my Galaxy Nexus has 8GB also, and I never came close to not having space. Any thoughts about saving the $100 and getting a 16GB?

Natetan

Well I just bought final fantasy tactics, and man is it fast. Not sure if its iPhone 5 related, but there is zero slow down and it's a joy to play. Wired thing is the sfx sounds stopped playing and I don't know how to bring then back, prob have to delete and reinstall the app but I don't want to lose my save data...

Yah. Well, I never had a 4, I moved to iPhone 5 from 3G, so yeah, not going back :p.

The more time I spend with it, I discover that the screen IS a little more awkward to use. But it's so snappy, and I love the weight and feel.

And before I succumb to scuffing, time to record for posterity's sake:

Yay another Voda NZ user. Are you in one of the major cities with DC HSPA+? 3G screams on this thing in Auckland.

mrkgoo

Debating between 16GB and 32GB.

My old iPhone 4 had 8GB and my Galaxy Nexus has 8GB also, and I never came close to not having space. Any thoughts about saving the $100 and getting a 16GB?
The iphone5 has a much more capable camera, so it's possible you will use it more and accumulate more media.

Speaking if which, do people take photos and off load them entirely from the camera roll a la as you would a digital camera? Or do you keep them all on there for posterity?

I normally do the latter, but I can see that just chewing up space for needlessly hi-res images. I might get not the practice of emptying the camera roll when I import and resyncing images into a special album for viewing.

mrkgoo

Yay another Voda NZ user. Are you in one of the major cities with DC HSPA+? 3G screams on this thing in Auckland.
Yeah in Auckland. Not sure if I specifically have DC, but its fast as heck. Faster than my home Internet in places. That's not saying much considering I'm on adsl1 at home, but I get ~6mbps at home, and I've seen 8mbps out on 3G.

Part of it us just the iPhone 5 being responsive as it's a joy to use at home on wifi compared to my iPad 1.

VoxPop

So I'm thinking of ditching ATT with my iPhone 5 and looking to go to prepaid. Are there any prepaid services that support the nano sim in the iPhone 5?

What cases/screen protectors/etc are y'all (not) using?

Currently using the $5 or so monoprice bumper.

Not sure if I dig it. Something is weird when I have a better grip on a naked phone than case.

cjkeats

What cases/screen protectors/etc are y'all (not) using?

Currently using the $5 or so monoprice bumper.

Not sure if I dig it. Something is weird when I have a better grip on a naked phone than case.

I'm using this Speck case. I had the same kinda thing for my 4 with the almost fabric back, and this one is a huge step up from it. I usually end up going naked once it gets a scratch because I stop caring, but this one got that giant aluminium back and I'm worried that'll get scratched easy.

I never use screen protectors any more. My 4 is still spotless on the front, the back and band, not so much.

Wow... can it be that Apple is batshit desperate because iPhone 5 isn't selling? Just checked my the site of provider and in case I extend my contract I'd only have to pay 99 € for the iPhone 5 - this is the absolute minimum. Not even two months ago I would have to pay around 250 EUR for the same deal.

Mindwipe

Wow... can it be that Apple is batshit desperate because iPhone 5 isn't selling? Just checked my the site of provider and in case I extend my contract I'd only have to pay 99 € for the iPhone 5 - this is the absolute minimum. Not even two months ago I would have to pay around 250 EUR for the same deal.

Much more likely your carrier is desperate.

I got a very good deal from my phone company compared to their normal tarrif, but that's because they're exceptionally uncompetitive and I suspect they're barely making anything.

Lima

They can't even manufacture enough to meet the demand.

jcm

LOL. They still have 2-3 week shipping times in the US.

Cheech

Much more likely your carrier is desperate.

I got a very good deal from my phone company compared to their normal tarrif, but that's because they're exceptionally uncompetitive and I suspect they're barely making anything.

Correct. I am still waiting for my 32 gig to ship, which I ordered last week from Verizon. Part of the reason I went 32 gig is to get it faster, well, the joke is on me. I don't even want to know what the current wait for a 16 gig is.

Correct. I am still waiting for my 32 gig to ship, which I ordered last week from Verizon. Part of the reason I went 32 gig is to get it faster, well, the joke is on me. I don't even want to know what the current wait for a 16 gig is.

Ordered my 16gb on the 5th and it shipped on the 12th. The estimated ship date was originally the 16th. Verizon

Hasn't this been their fastest selling phone ever?

krpiper

jts

...hate me...
Goodbye Apple 4, Apple 5 is finally here. And it's glorious ;_;

viAjSl.jpg

Meier

Assuming iOS6 is the same on iPad and iPhone,
Settings -> WiFi -> your active network -> Forget this network

Unless something has changed that I'm not aware of that should prevent it from auto rejoining in the future

With the iterations of the iPhone before 4S, you could disable the feature to auto-join a network but having it retain your login information. I prefer to not necessarily join the wifi network on the campus I work on since I have a limit to the bandwidth I can use.. but I don't want to have to always put in my user/pass when I do want to join it.

It's just a totally bizarre removal of a feature. My fiancee has a 4s and I knew it was an issue there but I was hopeful they'd have wizened up with the 5 and added it back in since it makes no sense to remove it.

LOL. They still have 2-3 week shipping times in the US.

Interesting, I was able to walk into my Apple store and pick one up this past weekend. I'd tried a week or two previously and could not, but they mentioned they'd received their biggest shipment yet and I'd have no problem a few hours before I came. I got a 32 again although realistically I'd prefer a 64.

Hmmm... I left apple back in Feb for the Galaxy Nexus which I love but it has shit battery life and now I am thinking about going back to the iphone. My only consern is wether or not I will be able to handle the dramatic decrease in screen size and also the customizablility. What I lose in that I gain in better battery and a consistent ecosystem (I have the ipad 4).

Decisions decisions... Anyone use passbook? No NFC really bugs me but if passbook works as advertised it would be a nice replacement.

I'm using this Speck case. I had the same kinda thing for my 4 with the almost fabric back, and this one is a huge step up from it. I usually end up going naked once it gets a scratch because I stop caring, but this one got that giant aluminium back and I'm worried that'll get scratched easy.

I never use screen protectors any more. My 4 is still spotless on the front, the back and band, not so much.

funny enough, i usually go naked until my first scratch. My case is usually just a 'bandage' :p

Vyer

Hmmm... I left apple back in Feb for the Galaxy Nexus which I love but it has shit battery life and now I am thinking about going back to the iphone. My only consern is wether or not I will be able to handle the dramatic decrease in screen size and also the customizablility. What I lose in that I gain in better battery and a consistent ecosystem (I have the ipad 4).

Decisions decisions... Anyone use passbook? No NFC really bugs me but if passbook works as advertised it would be a nice replacement.

It works fine but needs more apps to use it.

Did you find you spent a lot of time customizing your nexus?

Ashhong

I went from my Galaxy S2 to the iPhone and have no problems with the screen. Not as big as the Nexus, but still a fair downgrade. I also dont miss the customization, mostly because Cynaogenmod just wasn't that stable. Got tired of messing with it instead of having a phone that "just worked".

My battery is currently 30% with 1 day 18 hour standby, and 5 hour usage. Love it

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So, fellow iTunes Match-ers... how can I update album art now? Doing it manually and then updating iTunes Match doesn't work, and actually reverts to the old album art after a bit. I have some wrong/low resolution artwork I wanna fix and I can't seem to find a way to make it "stick".

With Soundhound and Skype getting updated for 5 recently, that leaves mainly Sparrow on my want list. Whatsapp would be nice too, and a few games (but I don't expect those games ever will).

djay for iPhone is currently free. It's a fun app. Even if you don't care about its "DJ" aspects, it works well to "mix" your tracks together as you listen.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/djay...424492403?mt=8

sparrow update was rejected for some bullshit, think it was resubmitted again though.

FerranMG

Whatsapp still hasn't updated to the 4'' screen?
Man, I can't help but think their devs are lazy.
Such a massive app (at least in Spain, where everyone uses it), and they keep on being extremely slowly updating the app to either add new features, or to correct bugs and security issues.
Sucks.

Such a massive app (at least in Spain, where everyone uses it), and they keep on being extremely slowly updating the app to either add new features, or to correct bugs and security issues.
Sucks.

It really does seem strange that they haven't updated it yet, I imagine that it's not too labor intensive to adjust it for the iPhone 5.

mrkgoo

Sucks.

It really does seem strange that they haven't updated it yet, I imagine that it's not too labor intensive to adjust it for the iPhone 5.
The bigger the app (in popularity), the bigger the stakes if you gave a bug.

wes-

I think the update is already sent to Apple for review a couple of weeks ago, don't know why it should take so long though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So GAF, gonna go pick up an iPhone 5 soon. Been looking at cases. Thinking instead of my heavy duty case I'm going to go with a clear case this time around. Here are a few I'm looking at:

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0099UR42Y/
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B009ADFWDS/

I'm having trouble finding a case that both has the volume/silent buttons very accessible (kind of like the first case I linked), yet having a bumper around the entire edge of the phone (kind of like the second case I linked), and one that is still slim. Preferrably something minimalistic, any suggestions?

EDIT: And if not, which of those two do y'all think is the better way to go?

derder

So guys, I want to renew my AT&T grandfathered Unlimited plan for another 2 years, pick this phone up as subsidized, unlock it, and sell it on ebay as new.

What's the best way to unlock this? Can I just do it at the store? I want to make sure that this phone is as "new" as possible.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Loving this phone so much. The only downside is having to wait until all apps are updated to use the bigger display.

Whatsapp, i'm looking at you.

Vyer

So GAF, gonna go pick up an iPhone 5 soon. Been looking at cases. Thinking instead of my heavy duty case I'm going to go with a clear case this time around. Here are a few I'm looking at:

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0099UR42Y/
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B009ADFWDS/

I'm having trouble finding a case that both has the volume/silent buttons very accessible (kind of like the first case I linked), yet having a bumper around the entire edge of the phone (kind of like the second case I linked), and one that is still slim. Preferrably something minimalistic, any suggestions?

Honestly, I've come to like cases like that second link more. The 'open' gaps for the buttons is handy, but I found the edges of those cases uncomfortable when using the phone. I had something like that first case on my iphone 4, and while it was very minimalistic, it was never all that comfortable.

I'm temporarily using something that 'bumpers' the edges like your second link and like it more.

jts

...hate me...
Slightly off-topic, but although I have and use Whatsapp when people talk to me through there, I don't really get the point of using that when you have Facebook.

Facebook is also multiplat, has good dedicated messenger apps for some platforms, and you can use it on a tablet AND desktop. Which is killer. It's so annoying to be using the computer and have to resort to the iPhone to keep up with a chat with your friends, not only because of the worse typing experience but also because of the unnecessary battery drain.

Of course, not everyone has Facebook. But it's free and nowadays I find more people that don't have a smartphone than people without FB.

Also, Whatsapp looks like ass.

Ashhong

http://www.amazon.ca/Celicious-Clear...2908290&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.ca/iTALKonline-Pro...2908290&sr=8-6

By bumper do you mean how it covers the entire edge and allows you to put it face down on the table? I have seen no slim plastic case that covers the edge like that, unfortunately.

This case is like your first with pretty good reviews

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0092F7LAQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I got a case like your second, but I'm not happy with it. I got this from ebay after a recommendation from a friend, still waiting on it in the mail.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221141596364?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Honestly, I've come to like cases like that second link more. The 'open' gaps for the buttons is handy, but I found the edges of those cases uncomfortable when using the phone. I had something like that first case on my iphone 4, and while it was very minimalistic, it was never all that comfortable.

I'm temporarily using something that 'bumpers' the edges like your second link and like it more.
By bumper do you mean how it covers the entire edge and allows you to put it face down on the table? I have seen no slim plastic case that covers the edge like that, unfortunately.

This case is like your first with pretty good reviews

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0092F7LAQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I got a case like your second, but I'm not happy with it. I got this from ebay after a recommendation from a friend, still waiting on it in the mail.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221141596364?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Thanks for the replies guys. And yeah that's what I meant. Just picked up my phone today. :D

I think I found what I'm looking for: Switcheasy NUDE. BUT the image appears deceiving as the buttons are not cut out in all the YouTube reviews and have those crappy plastic buttons on top of them, with one review saying the lock button is sometimes unresponsive :/ The search continues!

Top Bottom