• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Those are hard plastic yea? or just the Smoke?
The smoke case is hard plastic but the black case has a matte rubbery feeling to it from the outside. Similar to that of the incase snap.

Both cases are really well made, I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase.

The smoke case is hard plastic but the black case has a matte rubbery feeling to it from the outside. Similar to that of the incase snap.

Both cases are really well made, I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase.

Where'd you get them? I might get the smoke case since it looks pretty good.

http://www.powersupportusa.com/catalog/product/view/id/1077/s/smoke-air-jacket-set/category/413/

Price may seem a little steep, but there is no comparison in quality to other cases. It also includes two screen protectors. (Crystal and anti-glare)

Thanks, I'll definitely check them out this weekend. I'm not getting my 5 until Saturday, so the wait is killing me.

never get plastic cases. Your phone won't get scratched, but the case will... and all you see is the case 100% of the time...

I agree, but you don't really have any other choices for clear/naked look. It's either that or a TPU case which tends to get really dirty really quick. But unless you run the case through your keys or something I'm sure the scratches wouldn't be that bad. I had a plastic case for my Android phone and it never got any scratches in the year I used it, and I abused the hell out of it. I only stopped using it since the kickstand is broken lol.

Ashhong

Just received my power support Air jacket, smoke and matte black cases.

I really like both, especially the smoke case.

Can you do a bit more detailed review? They look really good and exactly what I've been looking for. How is the protection of the bottom area? I assume there's no lip to protect it from face down right?

Can you do a bit more detailed review? They look really good and exactly what I've been looking for. How is the protection of the bottom area? I assume there's no lip to protect it from face down right?
I'll write something up tomorrow with some more detailed pictures.

Thanks, I'll definitely check them out this weekend. I'm not getting my 5 until Saturday, so the wait is killing me.

I agree, but you don't really have any other choices for clear/naked look. It's either that or a TPU case which tends to get really dirty really quick. But unless you run the case through your keys or something I'm sure the scratches wouldn't be that bad. I had a plastic case for my Android phone and it never got any scratches in the year I used it, and I abused the hell out of it. I only stopped using it since the kickstand is broken lol.

Why not just get ghost armor or something for the back then?

jts

...hate me...
Haven't seen this one posted, dunno if it's iPhone 5 or iOS 6, but it's pretty cool I think. It shows when headphones are plugged in.

nDHWNl.jpg

jts

...hate me...
wtf, it looks like an iphone5 but how does it have those mods?
No mods whatsoever, just a bunch of icons on the top... mere coincidence to be using all that shit at once :p

If you're referring to the numeric indicator of the antenna reception, that's something enabled by going to the hidden field test app (link) and then force quitting the app (press sleep until the turn off slider shows, then press home until the app shuts down). Actually that carried from my iPhone 4 backup. btw, tapping on the number toggles between numeric and bar indicators.

I guess it would look even more weird if the screenshot was taken on my empty first page, hah.

jts

...hate me...
Actually referring to the "high volume" and the colors
Oh ok, as said it's not a mod and I also did not know about it until I just found it out, hence the post :p

iOS 6 needed something more substantial but it has quite some interesting details.

Any help for my problem?

My iPhone shuts down when the battery charge reach the 18%.... Why? It used to shutdown at 1% like a normal iphone, what is happening?!
Give it the regular reboot and restore treatment, if nothing works then that baby needs to be taken to the store.

Ashhong

wtf I swear I was changing the volume earlier and I didn't see that. Also, I thought it was a mod to make it say "high volume" as in, special volume when high or something lol. Color corresponding to how high you are. Really high? Take it to red.

so1337

Finally got my phone yesterday.

Is there still no way to delete all the voice memos at once?

Also: The new refresh-function in the mail app is absolutely delightful. I could stretch that little icon all day. Apple's still got it.

jts

...hate me...
wtf I swear I was changing the volume earlier and I didn't see that. Also, I thought it was a mod to make it say "high volume" as in, special volume when high or something lol. Color corresponding to how high you are. Really high? Take it to red.
It only happens when headphones are plugged in.

jts

...hate me...
Mine doesn't do that. Do you have to have volume limiter on or something?

I had headphones in.

mine doesnt do that...or at least i havent seen it do that

Ohhh... interesting.

Maybe it's something that has to do with the EU volume limit thing?... some sort of mandatory visual indicator that it's too loud. It's not limited btw, and I searched the settings, don't see anything related to that.

Not sure how they do that geographic differentiation between handsets but hey.

Mobius 1

Just received my power support Air jacket, smoke and matte black cases.

I really like both, especially the smoke case.

Another vote for the Air Jacket. Power Support makes the finest iPhone screen protector films money can buy, and the cases of similar quality. I have the matte black one.

LiK

Another vote for the Air Jacket. Power Support makes the finest iPhone screen protector films money can buy, and the cases of similar quality. I have the matte black one.

Yea, power support crystal clear is friggin awesome. Might pick up the Smoke case. But the price kinda hurts. Hope Amazon carries it soon.

Carlisle

Preordered September 14, finally arrived yesterday. 2 months to the day. Had to go through ATT because I'm on a business account, which was most of the cause of the delay. But man I'm loving it. Beautiful phone, Siri is helpful, LTE is blazing. So good. Time to check out all the links to cases on this page to protect it.

I had a weird hiccup when I restored from my iPhone 4, which I had just backed up, though. It's like I lost the last two months of shit. I saw the date of the back up and confirmed it, set it to back up... and when it's done I'm missing a few apps that I'd downloaded recently, and my call log ends September 8 and starts up again yesterday. Kinda miffed about it, but I didn't really lose much other than my score in Super Hexagon. I knew I should have restored from the iCloud backup, but I thought it would be faster to transfer through USB on iTunes.

Oh well.

ChanHuk

Banned
I think my battery has shit the tank. I'm at 92% with 40 minutes of usage and 1 1/2hr of standby. Seems to be draining quicker than usual.

mrkgoo

I think my battery has shit the tank. I'm at 92% with 40 minutes of usage and 1 1/2hr of standby. Seems to be draining quicker than usual.

So what you're saying is that for 8% battery you got 40 minutes usage and 1.5 hrs standby. I know it's probably not linear, but as an estimate you have 92% remaining, meaning at the same rate, you'd get another 460 minutes (7hrs 40 min) usage and 17 hrs standby. And this is tanking?

Mairu

So what you're saying is that for 8% battery you got 40 minutes usage and 1.5 hrs standby. I know it's probably not linear, but as an estimate you have 92% remaining, meaning at the same rate, you'd get another 460 minutes (7hrs 40 min) usage and 17 hrs standby. And this is tanking?

Sounds fine to me too :p

Why not just get ghost armor or something for the back then?

I don't really baby my phones so I want a little protection for drops and any kind of accidents. Either way, I'm probably gonna keep it naked during the "honeymoon" phase. Once that's done I'll probably get the Power Support smoke case or maybe get something a little more fancy like a wooden or leather case.

Cheech

Supply seems to be catching up to demand, at least in Verizonland. I ordered a 32 gig black off Verizon's website on Friday the 9th, and it showed up today. Not too bad!

Phone is amazing, BTW. Both LTE, and I even get faster Speedtests on WiFi on this thing.

Ok so after a whole day in my pocket, here some opinions:

I really like the feel of the anti-glare screen protector, also liked the fact that it was easy to get on.

There are hardly any scratches on it so far, hope it stays that way. I originally wanted to purchase the white matte case to not have to worry about this but this seem to be holding really well.

Also the holes were cut out to perfectly match the iPhone. You have to dig in a little to press the volume buttons, but I don't find this a big issue.

There is a tiny lip on the side edges of the case, if you were to not use the screen protector, I'm sure this would not allow the screen to touch a surface if it were placed screen down. With the screen protector on however, I'm not that sure. Picture of the lip:

Now the part I'm not that happy about is the small amounts of dirt that manage to get into the top and bottom opening:

The case holds on to the iphone using the lips from the sides, even though it covers all four sides, it would be very difficult to put on and remove if they had placed a lip on the top and bottom. As it is, it was already difficult for me to remove it.

Overall, it is a really well built case, a little pricey but I believe its worth it.

Detailed page from manufacturer.
http://pawasapo.co.jp/products/iphone/pjk70.php?category=iphone_5

Why are people buying screen protectors for iPhones? I had a 3GS naked (on the screen) for 3 years and it doesn't have a single scratch on it.

Mairu

Why are people buying screen protectors for iPhones? I had a 3GS naked (on the screen) for 3 years and it doesn't have a single scratch on it.

I'm doing my part to convince people I know to stop using screen protectors. It doesn't protect anything and just makes the display look worse :(

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Because people would rather their screen feel terrible than to ever risk getting a scratch on it that you would likely never see while actually using the screen.

mrkgoo

A 4/4s screen is $10-15 on ebay complete with digitizer.

This is an iPhone 5 thread.

Anyway, I don't mind people using screen protectors. That's their business. I've seen some pretty nice ones that seem pretty invisible, and if applied well you can mostly not tell. I've also seen ones that make the screen look non-retina - no idea why you would do that.

I'm a bit OCD about scratches, dust, dead pixels etc. a screen protector just adds to that. Like I'd have a dust spec under it when applied and it would bug me. It may as well be a scratch at that point! So I go naked.

That said, there's a fine hairline mark on my glass. Scratch in the coating, maybe? O ly see it when screen is off and at a certain angle under a bright light. Not a bother.

There is, however, a small gap where the aluminium frame meets the screen assembly. It fits a piece of paper, but not two pieces of paper, so maybe a tenth of a millimetre? Could potentially trap dust. I see something in there wedged under the screen assembly. Could be dust. Could be glue. Could be poorly machined aluminium. I guess I will never know.

Carlisle

Thanks for the replies guys. And yeah that's what I meant. Just picked up my phone today. :D

I think I found what I'm looking for: Switcheasy NUDE. BUT the image appears deceiving as the buttons are not cut out in all the YouTube reviews and have those crappy plastic buttons on top of them, with one review saying the lock button is sometimes unresponsive :/ The search continues!

After reading what you were after, I decided you have good taste and that I need the same thing. A nice clear back with a protective lip so I can set it face down. I did a general amazon search and then ordered by customer review. The first non-crazy otterbox case that came up was this one called Kay's case, and it looked to fit the bill. So I jumped on it. Will post reviews when it arrives, but so far it looks like it has all the features I'm looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008OG8A9K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Top Bottom