• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

No LTE
20% brightness
2 apps open
Notifications OFF for half of my apps (only have stock apps and nothing else).
-
Not restored.
Latest software is yet to be installed.
-
23% battery life at 3pm since going to work at 7.45am with 100%. Some browsing. Some Whatsapp. Web-based Google Maps for about half an hour.

Just now, it dropped 5% in 9 minutes whilst browsing.

Is this shit? It seems shit. And it's a replacement. And it has discolouration on the side; as did my first model. I fucking loathe this phone/Apple now.

EDIT: should the update alleviate this woeful performance?

That seems bad. So far I feel like my battery life is a little better than my 4 was. Might be because of the reduced life after 2 years of use though.

That seems bad. So far I feel like my battery life is a little better than my 4 was. Might be because of the reduced life after 2 years of use though.

This is definitely worse than my 4. Is there a limit to how many times I can book a shitty Genius appointment and demand a new phone? They told me that they allow a one-time swap for cosmetic grievances, so seeing as I swapped my first one for even poorer battery life, I should have no qualms, right?

The phone is a day old, by the way. I let it go to 1% the first cycle, charged it to full and now I'm here.

mrkgoo

No LTE
20% brightness
2 apps open
-
Not restored.
-
23% battery life at 3pm since going to work at 7.45am with 100%. Some browsing. Some Whatsapp. Web-based Google Maps for about half an hour.

Is this shit? It seems shit. And it's a replacement. And it has discolouration on the side; as did my first model. I fucking loathe this phone/Apple now.

My OCD is getting the better of me and I'm starting to eye my battery life.

It seems to be going down faster than I would've thought. I'm at 72% after a day of relatively little use 100% charged on way to work from 8:45am). Mostly just browsing and posting. No app usage. I'm more or less same situation as you except I'm fully up to date.

My usage is 1.5 hours and 8.5 standby. So at this rate I'm only getting 5-6hours usage. I watch percentage go down. My wife has an iPhone 5 as well and it SEEMs similar. Maybe slightly better, but I bet she has less going on than my phone push wise.

Then I read anandtechs review, and they suggest that 1 hour of usage is likely to be 10-15% usage. And it depends on signal and other factors. Like if you have weak 3G, your radio will be powered up more daring in battery. I have no wifi at work so I'm sure the wifi radio is hard out searching.

At the end of it all, it may just be normal. If I can get 5 hours usage per day, I guess that would be mostly ok. Maybe.

My OCD is getting the better of me and I'm starting to eye my battery life.

It seems to be going down faster than I would've thought. I'm at 72% after a day of relatively little use 100% charged on way to work from 8:45am). Mostly just browsing and posting. No app usage. I'm more or less same situation as you except I'm fully up to date.

My usage is 1.5 hours and 8.5 standby. So at this rate I'm only getting 5-6hours usage. I watch percentage go down. My wife has an iPhone 5 as well and it SEEMs similar. Maybe slightly better, but I bet she has less going on than my phone push wise.

Then I read anandtechs review, and they suggest that 1 hour of usage is likely to be 10-15% usage. And it depends on signal and other factors. Like if you have weak 3G, your radio will be powered up more daring in battery. I have no wifi at work so I'm sure the wifi radio is hard out searching.

At the end of it all, it may just be normal. If I can get 5 hours usage per day, I guess that would be mostly ok. Maybe.

I see what you're saying, but I don't for a second think it's acceptable to "upgrade" to poorer battery life. I dunno. I actually have to be conscious of how I use my phone now. It's ridiculous. The 4 slayed it.

LiK

so fellow Verizon users, i activated the iPhone5 on my mom's dumb phone line and it's now Pending Order on VZW site. anyone know how long that'll take?

edit: nm, figured it out

coldfoot

Banned
So iTunes can see my iPhone wirelessly and sync, but iPhoto won't and therefore can't import photos without connecting the iPhone to my Mac? Are you serious Apple?????

Dez

So iTunes can see my iPhone wirelessly and sync, but iPhoto won't and therefore can't import photos without connecting the iPhone to my Mac? Are you serious Apple?????

There is no need to connect your phone to import photos. They will show up in your photostream in iPhoto automatically. Then you can do your albums/events/faces and sync back to iPhone via wifi iTunes sync.

jts

...hate me...
There is no need to connect your phone to import photos. They will show up in your photostream in iPhoto automatically. Then you can do your albums/events/faces and sync back to iPhone via wifi iTunes sync.
But, videos.

Talon

Unfortunately the Photostream images are converted jpegs at a slightly lower quality than the raw local files.

mrkgoo

I see what you're saying, but I don't for a second think it's acceptable to "upgrade" to poorer battery life. I dunno. I actually have to be conscious of how I use my phone now. It's ridiculous. The 4 slayed it.

I have no idea. My previous phone was an iphone3g that I had to turn push off because of battery life.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I don't quite understand the problem. I've had the phone for a day now and it lasts plenty. I upgraded from an iPhone 3GS (which IMO still works great) and the battery life on this phone is improved. I turn off Bluetooth when I'm not in the car and use the phone with wifi as often as possible and charge it both in the car, and at work.

mrkgoo

I don't quite understand the problem. I've had the phone for a day now and it lasts plenty. I upgraded from an iPhone 3GS (which IMO still works great) and the battery life on this phone is improved. I turn off Bluetooth when I'm not in the car and use the phone with wifi as often as possible and charge it both in the car, and at work.
I'm at home on wifi now. Battery seems better. So I'm chalking it up to no wifi at work and probably weak 3G.

Or that the battery meter isn't so linear and rapidly goes down by percentage when it's off the top.

Cheech

Are new iPhones still coming with scuffs and stuff? Mine was fine and no one I know IRL had a scratched iPhone out of the box.

That black one I just got from Verizon yesterday was perfect. Just anecdotally around the webs, it seems like they've figured out the manufacturing issues with these things. WiFi is also even better than it was in my 4S, so no issue there either.

Only disappointment is it shipped with 6.0, and not 6.0.1. So I had a bug or two while doing my iCloud restore, but nothing major. If I were to do it again, I'd skip the iCloud restore, upgrade to 6.0.1, THEN do the restore.

jts

...hate me...
Speaking of wifi, while it's much faster than my iPhone 4 in download speeds:

7ZEnI.jpg

It still doesn't hold a candle to the Mac...

2311583302.png

But it has better upload. Funny. And these results are pretty consistent.

Carlisle

So I just noticed that one of the jailbreak tweaks I had on my 4 partially made it over when I restored my 5 from its backup. I tweaked the weather app so the actual current temp showed in a badge over the weather app icon, and that badge is also on my 5 weather app icon. Except it's stuck showing the temp at the time of my last iPhone 4 back up. Here's a pic.

Current temp is actually 46 F.

Any idea at all how I might go about getting rid of that without blanking my phone and setting it up as new without restoring from any backups? I've got iCloud and iTunes backups. My guess is I have to wait until there's an iPhone 5 jb, reinstall the tweak, and remove the badge, but that might not even do the trick then.

mrkgoo

So I just noticed that one of the jailbreak tweaks I had on my 4 partially made it over when I restored my 5 from its backup. I tweaked the weather app so the actual current temp showed in a badge over the weather app icon, and that badge is also on my 5 weather app icon. Except it's stuck showing the temp at the time of my last iPhone 4 back up. Here's a pic.

Current temp is actually 46 F.

Any idea at all how I might go about getting rid of that without blanking my phone and setting it up as new without restoring from any backups? I've got iCloud and iTunes backups. My guess is I have to wait until there's an iPhone 5 jb, reinstall the tweak, and remove the badge, but that might not even do the trick then.
Sorry, don't have any help with your issue, but just looking at your home screens, you have a mildly similar layout to myself. It's not the same, but enough similarity to make me notice.

Do you really use the compass enough to put it on front page?

Carlisle

Sorry, don't have any help with your issue, but just looking at your home screens, you have a mildly similar layout to myself. It's not the same, but enough similarity to make me notice.

Do you really use the compass enough to put it on front page?

Hah, no actually now that you mention it. It just seemed like one of those apps that if I ever did need to use it, it might need to be easily accessible rather than having to dig through folders for it... but it's also not 1790 anymore. I haven't used it since I first got my 4 and tried it out a couple years back. I should probably swap that out for something more useful.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
No LTE
20% brightness
2 apps open
-
Not restored.
-

Yep, I went through this exact scenario about a month ago. After a week of trying to fix it with multiple restore attempts not involving iTunes or iCloud, I returned it and went back to my 4. Going from 100% to 35% on only 2:25 of usage with everything turned off and brightness way down was just unacceptable.

Ashhong

I really do hope Apple makes live updating icons soon. The weather icon and clock. I used to have the clock mod on my old 3G jailbroken phone to do that, and I don't see why Apple can't do the same.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I prefer naked glass, but I use a case to prevent the guts from exploding when I inevitably drop it.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Hah, no actually now that you mention it. It just seemed like one of those apps that if I ever did need to use it, it might need to be easily accessible rather than having to dig through folders for it... but it's also not 1790 anymore. I haven't used it since I first got my 4 and tried it out a couple years back. I should probably swap that out for something more useful.

I've used it a few times when I've been helplessly lost and the car I'm in didn't have a built in compass.

I really do hope Apple makes live updating icons soon. The weather icon and clock. I used to have the clock mod on my old 3G jailbroken phone to do that, and I don't see why Apple can't do the same.

Just hold out for the jailbreak. I like the live weather too, but what really irks me is having to get used to living without BiteSMS and the 5 icon dock. :(

zychi

Banned
any apps that are similar to the old avplayer? just updated to the 5 from my jailbroken 4, and i cant find an app that plays as many video types as the no-longer allowed on the app store avplayer hd. kinda bummed that i can't redownload it from a previous purchase.

Ashhong

Just hold out for the jailbreak. I like the live weather too, but what really irks me is having to get used to living without BiteSMS and the 5 icon dock. :(

I really don't want to jailbreak though. It just causes performance issues, at least it did on my 3G. I like being able to update OTA and such. But I do miss BiteSMS and various other things. I updated to 6.0.1 already though..

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Quoting myself from a month and a half ago:

October 4th:
Still not update for the iPhone 5 screen--
Dropbox
Mint
OCTranspo (Bus app)
Paypal
Steam
Gamepedia
RageCam
Picup
Google Translate
Songza

I don't expect games to update quite so quickly, but applications, especially relatively simple applications with few views, especially applications used by a gajillion people, should be updated. :/

Still not updated for the iPhone 5 screen--
RageCam
Picup
Google Translate
+ Square Register
+ AppShopper

Things are starting to come around, which is good.

My boyfriend cant really decide sometimes. He was really interested in getting a Galaxy Note II. I just switched to the Galaxy S3 from an iPhone 3GS and I think it's a great phone.

Can you iphone 5 owners tell me if iphone 5 is much better than iphone 4 or do you think my bf would be better off with the android. I just want to see all the problems the phone has and show my bf so he can make an informed decision and not be stuck with something he doesn't like. His battery life was pretty bad on the iphone but my Galaxy 3 lasts all day...

Thanks for the help guys.

Mairu

I went from a 4 to a 5 and I have no complaints about the battery life - and I stopped caring about micromanaging for the optimal battery life. I just leave bluetooth on all the time now and don't fiddle with brightness (it's always on auto) and I don't ever waste time clearing the apps list (unless there's one specific app that I want to restart or close)

Anson225

hi all i dropped my iphone 5 yesterday and now the left bezel has become silver (mine is a black one) lol

i guess i'm lucky its just the bezel but anyway i wonder if you guys have any recommendation for a good bumper? price is not a matter. i just need a high quality one. thank you

Buttons

I am surprised to hear complaints about the battery life, wonder if it's just individual phones at fault? My battery usually lasts 2-3days now with me listening to music on my commute, browsing the web at Uni and having my emails on push, screen on auto-brightness as well.
Although no LTE (Vodafone in Germany has a different LTE frequency >.<) and Bluetooth is turned off.

Even with heavy use I usually get two days out of it, three days if I don't surf the web as much on it.

nib95

Banned
I am surprised to hear complaints about the battery life, wonder if it's just individual phones at fault? My battery usually lasts 2-3days now with me listening to music on my commute, browsing the web at Uni and having my emails on push, screen on auto-brightness as well.
Although no LTE (Vodafone in Germany has a different LTE frequency >.<) and Bluetooth is turned off.

I've found with iPhone's it greatly depends on your area coverage. iPhone's more than any phone I've used imo have very inefficient network seeking. If your signal is all over the place, high, low, 3G, Edge etc, battery life is hugely impacted. If it's consistent however, like in certain city centres or areas with generally strong signal, battery fares much batter. At least that's what I found travelling around the UK using the different iPhone's over the years.

It's not a bumper, but this is the soft-shell case that I got for my phone:

http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/products/mobile-phones-gps/RF-A5T2BP.html

And I love it. It's simple, it's comfortable to hold (especially when gaming in landscape), it provides grip and a bumper without being bulky, and it doesn't have a single logo on it. Plus it was only 20 bucks.

Only complaint is that the rubber area covering the sleep/wake button and the volume buttons are a little stiff, but I'm guessing they'll become looser the more I use it.

Ashhong

Even with heavy use I usually get two days out of it, three days if I don't surf the web as much on it.

What is the usage amount after those 2-3 days? over say, 10 hours?

kottila

Thanks to those that mentioned downcast in this thread. It's almost exactly the app I've waited for Apple to make for the last three years. I've deleted all my itunes subscriptions. Going from the last ipod touch to the 5 is amazing. No more crashing every three minutes!

Anson225

It's not a bumper, but this is the soft-shell case that I got for my phone:

http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/products/mobile-phones-gps/RF-A5T2BP.html

And I love it. It's simple, it's comfortable to hold (especially when gaming in landscape), it provides grip and a bumper without being bulky, and it doesn't have a single logo on it. Plus it was only 20 bucks.

Only complaint is that the rubber area covering the sleep/wake button and the volume buttons are a little stiff, but I'm guessing they'll become looser the more I use it.

thanks, i will check it out!

Buttons

What is the usage amount after those 2-3 days? over say, 10 hours?

Mhh good question will check it this charge cycle, just charged it this morning. I just know its miles and miles better than my old Droid 2 which I had to charge 1-2 times daily, so I am as happy as can be. :D

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
http://www.powersupportusa.com/catalog/product/view/id/1077/s/smoke-air-jacket-set/category/413/

Price may seem a little steep, but there is no comparison in quality to other cases. It also includes two screen protectors. (Crystal and anti-glare)

Ok so after a whole day in my pocket, here some opinions:

I really like the feel of the anti-glare screen protector, also liked the fact that it was easy to get on.

There are hardly any scratches on it so far, hope it stays that way. I originally wanted to purchase the white matte case to not have to worry about this but this seem to be holding really well.

Also the holes were cut out to perfectly match the iPhone. You have to dig in a little to press the volume buttons, but I don't find this a big issue.

There is a tiny lip on the side edges of the case, if you were to not use the screen protector, I'm sure this would not allow the screen to touch a surface if it were placed screen down. With the screen protector on however, I'm not that sure. Picture of the lip:

Now the part I'm not that happy about is the small amounts of dirt that manage to get into the top and bottom opening:

The case holds on to the iphone using the lips from the sides, even though it covers all four sides, it would be very difficult to put on and remove if they had placed a lip on the top and bottom. As it is, it was already difficult for me to remove it.

Overall, it is a really well built case, a little pricey but I believe its worth it.

Detailed page from manufacturer.
http://pawasapo.co.jp/products/iphone/pjk70.php?category=iphone_5
After reading what you were after, I decided you have good taste and that I need the same thing. A nice clear back with a protective lip so I can set it face down. I did a general amazon search and then ordered by customer review. The first non-crazy otterbox case that came up was this one called Kay's case, and it looked to fit the bill. So I jumped on it. Will post reviews when it arrives, but so far it looks like it has all the features I'm looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008OG8A9K/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Wow how did I miss these posts. Great suggestions guys. I think skeezer's case is more of what I'm looking for, but how's the home button accessibility on that Smoke case? That's what seems to be a big issue with most of the cases I look at.. they require you to use your nail to even push down the home button if the case has a lip.

Also, does anyone else's home button wobble in place a bit front-to-back very slightly? Is that normal?

I've finally made the jump from Android to an iPhone 5.

I did some more research last night and found that I didn't really need the 32gb so I got a white 16gb on the Death Star's network. 4gb's of music and 2gb's with necessary apps, so I definitely was a little overestimating.

Anyway, you've all heard it's criticisms and all that, so I'll just say, I'm freakin' glad I've made the switch. I've been on Android ever since the first Android phone came out(the T-Mo G1) and was pretty much a "fandroid" if you will. I just love the fact that the iPhone just works out of the box... the worst thing I've ever had to do to get it ready was to setup bluetooth on my car lol. On Android, I probably would've had to root it, install Cyanogenmod then start setting everything up which is too much hassle.

Either way, it's done and I'm excited.

Top Bottom