• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Enco

Apple have put the UK pricing on their website now.

16GB £529.00

32GB £599.00

64GB £699.00

OUCH!!!!!

---

"It's finally here. We know you've all been waiting for it. Introducing the PERiPhone 5"

Nandos.
They've put up the 16GB price? What the fuck?

32 and 64 are the same I think.

16GB £529.00

32GB £599.00

64GB £699.00

OUCH!!!!!

---

"It's finally here. We know you've all been waiting for it. Introducing the PERiPhone 5"

Nandos.

Damn at those prices, I would be okay if it were euros, but pounds will mean 16GB is €599

twofold

The 32 and 64 ones are the same price so I would just put it down to Apple being Apple.

Good point. It's definitely a shitty move on their part. I'll be picking one up when I head to Singapore in a few months - costs £85 less for the 16gb. The UK Apple tax is awful.

nib95

Banned
Quite disappointing. Though I do love the look of the black one (despite it being leaked ages ago). Glad I went with the S3 tbh. Even more so when Jelly Bean comes out.

The move to Android has been quite revelatory for me, though different strokes. As my wife mentioned she does still (so far) prefer the simplicity of the Iphone, but that her opinion could change.

Truth is, all phones are pretty similar these days. But the biggest let down for the 5 and advantage for the S3 imo is the battery. 4S's was subpar and my guess is the 5's will be too. S3 nails it here. Phone companies really do need to put FAR more focus on battery life.

numble

Truth is, all phones are pretty similar these days. But the biggest let down for the 5 and advantage for the S3 imo is the battery. 4S's was subpar and my guess is the 5's will be too. S3 nails it here. Phone companies really do need to put FAR more focus on battery life.
How can the 4S be considered subpar compared to the S3 when it beats the S3 on WiFi and Cellular battery life for web browsing?
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6022/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-review-att-and-tmobile-usa-variants/3

nib95

Banned
How can the 4S be considered subpar compared to the S3 when it beats the S3 on WiFi and Cellular battery life for web browsing?
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6022/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-review-att-and-tmobile-usa-variants/3

I cant speak for those benchmarks, but I own both phones (had to keep the 4S for development purposes and will likely be getting a 5 too), but in real world use my S3 obliterates my 4S. 4S with similar usage gets me barely half a day whereas the S3 easily coasts a full day.

Those Anandtech benches must be on older FW or something. Or not have notifications, mobile data etc on at the same time or something. No idea.

16GB £529.00

32GB £599.00

64GB £699.00

OUCH!!!!!

woCKF.gif

Get the fuck out.

ant1532

Banned
someone remind me real quick. did the retina display first arrive with the 4 or the 4S? I have a 4 but the screen has been cracked since I got it basically so I can't even remember now... lulz

twofold

numble

I cant speak for those benchmarks, but I own both phones (had to keep the 4S for development purposes and will likely be getting a 5 too), but in real world use my S3 obliterates my 4S. 4S with similar usage gets me barely half a day whereas the S3 easily coasts a full day.

Those Anandtech benches must be on older FW or something. Or not have notifications, mobile data etc on at the same time or something. No idea.

You must have a bad unit. In no real world scenario should the 4S last half a day unless you are playing games for 5 hours or something.

How can an Anandtech test for mobile data not have mobile data on? The 4S and S3 both do not use mobile data when on WiFi, as well.

Every time Apple launches a new product the same arguments pop up and most people completely change their minds once they hold the product in their hands. I distinctly remember people on GAF saying that the iPad was a joke and would be a massive failure because it was nothing more than an oversized iPod. I trust few companies as much as I do Apple when it comes to delivering an awesome product.

dc89

They've put up the 16GB price? What the fuck?

32 and 64 are the same I think.

Yep and Yep.

Is it bad that I laughed?

No. I laughed too.

Damn at those prices, I would be okay if it were euros, but pounds will mean 16GB is €599

Yup.

Holy shit. That's 1.127$.

$1,126.57 :p

But yea it's completely fucking ridiculous.

It's absurd. The Lightning adapter thing is also the best part of $40 here in the UK.

woCKF.gif

Get the fuck out.

I would love to get the fuck out :(

I don't think making the screen longer was that smart for most women have dainty hands that won't be able to reach the back button. See: most android phones.

As a mean with bear claws I don't give a shit.

Do people also laugh when BMW announces the pricing on their new cars and its more expensive than a Honda? Premium prices for premium products. It's the way it has always been.

nib95

Banned
You must have a bad unit. In no real world scenario should the 4S last half a day unless you are playing games for 5 hours or something.

How can an Anandtech test for mobile data not have mobile data on? The 4S and S3 both do not use mobile data when on WiFi, as well.

I've had 4 different 4S's so that definitely isn't it lol. The areas where the 4S fails with battery optimisation, major battery afflictions from switching network modes (between Edge and 3G, S3's switching method is far more battery conscious), certain apps such as Whatsapp or Tapatalk, constant notifications are far less battery friendly on the 4S, general web browsing and last of all, GPS or navigation, which is miles better in terms of battery on the S3.

I'm sure people with both phones could offer their opinions confirming my own personal findings.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
INTERNATIONAL iOS6 feature availability.

https://www.apple.com/ios/feature-availability

FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCK ME

STILL NO siri local search for Netherlands so siri is still useless :(

That list is by no means 100% accurate. 3D buildings for instance exist globally, but it's not 100% global coverage. Siri can be used with Facebook/Twitter globally etc. The list just lists areas where each feature is 100% covered.

Mael

german prices are also out:

16gb -> 679€
32gb -> 789€
64gb -> 899€

Par for the course for Apple.
Take price in $ add 20% and put in the € sign.
If it's the french price, aside from people with a long phone plan, no one will buy this.

numble

I've had 4 different 4S's so that definitely isn't it lol. The areas where the 4S fails with battery optimisation, major battery afflictions from switching network modes (between Edge and 3G, S3's switching method is far more battery conscious), certain apps such as Whatsapp or Tapatalk, constant notifications are far less battery friendly on the 4S, general web browsing and last of all, GPS or navigation, which is miles better in terms of battery on the S3.

I'm sure people with both phones could offer their opinions confirming my own personal findings.

I don't have that much experience with mode switching, web browsing has been tested to be better battery wise on the 4S. Constant push notifications on iOS are actually supposed to be more battery conservative, than having apps run as a constant process (I assume that's what those apps are doing on Android).

My experience with driving around using iOS 6 turn by turn was that it didn't really drain things very much, even if you don't use the lockscreen mode and just keep the screen on. I tested it by taking a ton of long drives. I've also had long conversations using FaceTime over 3G, with the battery draining much less than I'd expected it. Since you're a developer, you can test those features as well.

My experience with driving around using iOS 6 turn by turn was that it didn't really drain things very much, even if you don't use the lockscreen mode and just keep the screen on. I tested it by taking a ton of long drives. I've also had long conversations using FaceTime over 3G, with the battery draining much less than I'd expected it. Since you're a developer, you can test those features as well.
Does turn by turn require an internet connection while it is running unlike other GPS apps?

HTuran

Aren't the UK prices the same as the 4S (bar the weird £30 hike on the 16GB)?

£600 32GB and £10/mo for unlimited data on Giffgaff will probably be my choice.

Scotch

I wish Apple would apply their iPad pricing (which is priced very fairly compared to competing tablets) to the iPhone as well. €700 is outright ridiculous when an arguably similar/better device like the Galaxy S3 goes for €500.

Aren't the UK prices the same as the 4S (bar the weird £30 hike on the 16GB)?

£600 32GB and £10/mo for unlimited data on Giffgaff will probably be my choice.

That's what I paid for my iPhone 4S 32GB, sim free from Apple in-store. I have a £16.50 a month rolling contract on O2 which does me fine. 100mins, unlimited texts, 500mb. I only went over data when the Olympics was on. I'd love to switch to EE for LTE, but I don't work in London anymore so it's not worth it (yet).

Jimrpg

Every time Apple launches a new product the same arguments pop up and most people completely change their minds once they hold the product in their hands. I distinctly remember people on GAF saying that the iPad was a joke and would be a massive failure because it was nothing more than an oversized iPod. I trust few companies as much as I do Apple when it comes to delivering an awesome product.

yeah exactly. some of these first impressions from people in this thread are laughable as are all the android fanboys trying to knock it down.

the problem is that everything was leaked right down to the earpods and Apple had nowhere to go... if people had just realised this fact before watching all the blogs, then they wouldn't have been so disappointed. do people expect Apple to make decoy products?

I think when people hold the product in their hands - its going to be the slimmest and lightest phone they've held. The fact they've shaved 2mm off the phone and got rid of the really thick glass on the front and back is a game changer and makes the phone much better to use.

Plus the taller screen - for existing iphone users is a godsend... it will be most useful when the keyboard is out because at the moment it covers up half the screen.

I'm not too fussed what Apple do with the hardware from here on in - its always going to be more or less the same shape... I think they needed more with iOS 6 - maps was already done with google maps, and passbook, siri aren't really new...

oh and the iphone 4 at $449 in Australia is freaking amazing... the iphone 4 is still a really good phone on iOS5, i hope it doesn't slow down on iOS6 but iPhone 4 its still a really servicable phone with retina screen, recent form factor and works with just about all apps.... in fact i would say iphone 4s at $679 you may as well choose between the iphone 5 at $799 or the iPhone 4 at $449 rather than go for the 4s.

Out of interest, how much does a SIM free Galaxy S3 or Nokia Lumina cost? Sim free phones have always been expensive. I paid hundreds of pounds for old Nokia's (pre smart phone) back in the day.

LCfiner

I was reading about all the line out questions regarding the new dock. Will Smith from tested really should have double checked with Apple before tweeting what he did.

I mean, Apple did make a point of showing an iphone with music playing, with a new dock adapter, connecting to a car.

iPhone5_0373_gallery_post.jpg

Of course, anyone who uses a line out connection now knows that Apple removed the volume controls from the UI, since line out is constant 1Vrms anyway. So either this pic implies that Apple changed the UI or they just made a mockup screen, not bothering to remove the volume control element.

Or the iphone is simply charging in the car and the music is playing from the iphone speaker. which would make this image from Apple the most misleading thing from yesterday's announcement.

I think when people hold the product in their hands - its going to be the slimmest and lightest phone they've held.
Some of us genuinely don't care about any of that though. I can't even tell my phone is in my pocket so any lighter or thinner is completely irrelevant to me.

Give it significantly better battery life instead of making it thinner? Then you'd have my money.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Some of us genuinely don't care about any of that though. I can't even tell my phone is in my pocket so any lighter or thinner is completely irrelevant to me.

Give it significantly better battery life instead of making it thinner? Then you'd have my money.

If thin and light doesn't bother you, get a Mophie Juice Pack

This'll probably be my next phone, but I'm not too bothered. At the end of the day it's still just a phone that sits in my pocket. I use Youtube and the odd puzzle game on it, but performance and stuff isn't such a big deal for me.

I suppose there'll be a 5S by the time my current contract runs out anyway.

Sadly, there is an 'accepted' level of battery life in a smartphone, which is basically 'if it can last about a day under average use, it's fine'. So if the chip technology reduces power consumption to the point where the designers have a choice between keeping it the same thickness with longer battery, or making it more svelte with similar (claimed slightly better) battery life... they're always gonna pick the latter.

twofold

That's what I paid for my iPhone 4S 32GB, sim free from Apple in-store. I have a £16.50 a month rolling contract on O2 which does me fine. 100mins, unlimited texts, 500mb. I only went over data when the Olympics was on. I'd love to switch to EE for LTE, but I don't work in London anymore so it's not worth it (yet).

You should consider switching to giffgaff. You get 250 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data with their £10 a month plan. They also use o2's network so you won't notice any difference in coverage or network quality.

http://giffgaff.com/index/offer

I was reading about all the line out questions regarding the new dock. Will Smith from tested really should have double checked with Apple before tweeting what he did.

I mean, Apple did make a point of showing an iphone with music playing, with a new dock adapter, connecting to a car.

iPhone5_0373_gallery_post.jpg

Of course, anyone who uses a line out connection now knows that Apple removed the volume controls from the UI, since line out is constant 1Vrms anyway. So either this pic implies that Apple changed the UI or they just made a mockup screen, not bothering to remove the volume control element.

Or the iphone is simply charging in the car and the music is playing from the iphone speaker. which would make this image from Apple the most misleading thing from yesterday's announcement.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter#overview

This adapter lets you connect devices with a Lightning connector to many of your 30-pin accessories.* Video and iPod Out not supported.

Top Bottom