• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Cyport

Well it's got to the stage where I have to take my cable with me everywhere. My battery just seems to go flat too quickly for me to last a day with it. I don't even use LTE and I was planning to but considering the battery could be worse I'm frightened to. I've booked a Genius appointment so hopefully they'll just find out why I suppose.

mrkgoo

Well it's got to the stage where I have to take my cable with me everywhere. My battery just seems to go flat too quickly for me to last a day with it. I don't even use LTE and I was planning to but considering the battery could be worse I'm frightened to. I've booked a Genius appointment so hopefully they'll just find out why I suppose.
Speaking of which, is there a way of disabling LTE if you don't have a network in your country? We have the Aussie version of the phone, but either the carrier baseband file or location setting means we don't have an LTE off switch. I wonder if that means it has been disabled entirely by the OS for now.

Cyport

Speaking of which, is there a way of disabling LTE if you don't have a network in your country? We have the Aussie version of the phone, but either the carrier baseband file or location setting means we don't have an LTE off switch. I wonder if that means it has been disabled entirely by the OS for now.

I have the option to turn it off under settings/general/celluar/"Enable LTE"

mrkgoo

I have the option to turn it off under settings/general/celluar/"Enable LTE"
Yeah, it's just a 3G switch for me.

The phone can do LTE but we don't have it here, so I imagine a carrier setting causes the switch to not be there. I just hope it's actually off.

Mairu

I posted above, Google Contacts sucks with iOS. Gmail is great though

What's wrong with Google Contacts & iOS? I know it has some limitations but I've been using it since they first allowed syncing Contacts and haven't had too many issues- You can also sync using CardDAV instead of Exchange for Google Contacts as of a few months ago

Ashhong

What's wrong with Google Contacts & iOS? I know it has some limitations but I've been using it since they first allowed syncing Contacts and haven't had too many issues- You can also sync using CardDAV instead of Exchange for Google Contacts as of a few months ago

No full screen Caller ID pics, and no custom phone number labels.

Isn't CardDAV a file that you export from Google? How does that sync automatically? Either way, iCloud works great. I don't know how it all synced together, but somehow iCloud had all of my Google Contacts including pics already. I deleted Google and added iCloud and it's much better. Love full screen caller ID..

Mairu

No full screen Caller ID pics, and no custom phone number labels.

Isn't CardDAV a file that you export from Google? How does that sync automatically? Either way, iCloud works great. I don't know how it all synced together, but somehow iCloud had all of my Google Contacts including pics already. I deleted Google and added iCloud and it's much better. Love full screen caller ID..

http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2753077&topic=1669027&ctx=topic

I see. I don't really mind the caller ID pics but I can see why you'd want custom phone number labels

Ashhong

http://support.google.com/mail/bin/a...9027&ctx=topic

I see. I don't really mind the caller ID pics but I can see why you'd want custom phone number labels

What is the benefit of using CardDAV?

Yea the ID pics aren't a huge deal, but it's just nice seeing the big picture when someone calls. I remember when I moved to Android I was so sad that they showed a tiny square in the middle instead of like Apple. I still don't understand it.

Oh also, Google Contacts compresses the shit out of caller ID pics. Again, not a big thing to most...but it bugs me to no end.

gblues

Banned
I find all these reports of varying battery usage to be highly... Unscientific.

It occurs to me it's VERY hard to compare. For example, shot above - it has been charged since starting recording. Sure maybe it was only a few minutes to sync, but that breaks the flow and can make a difference if plugged in at the bottom end of charge, as we all know battery charging (and I assume draining) is not a linear process.

Further, usage is highly variable. Not just push, brightness and stuff but processor usage. Games drain battery a lot and also depends on the game. Music h264 codec is hardware so is very little drain on the battery, not to mention not using the screen. I'm sure you could do a dozen hours easily if you just listened.

Radio usage is obviously a big one, but our browsing habits would be very different. Browsing a web page and taking 15 minutes to read it will take less battery than swapping back and forth from reloading forum pages. Even our habits within that can make a difference. Do you use back button a lot or use the neogaf icon to reload the forum?

And it never takes into account radio strength and signal of our respective locations. I'm pretty sure I get worse drain at work when I'm not on wifi but with wifi on always searching.

I don't doubt that there are bad batteries and some high drain settings out there, but I suspect most 'bad battery' complaints are more likely related to specific use. I mean, there is nothing particularly special about the battery hardware in the iPhone. The advances in life will be due mostly to software. The manufacture of the battery, I assume to be pretty industry standard and this relatively low failure rates. People getting 1 or 2 hours maybe have bad batteries, but those getting 4-6 are probably within spec and just low to their use case and environment.

Battery life issues are the worst because of exactly this.

Did you ever get your iCloud storage issues straightened out? PM me if not.

Vyer

What is the benefit of using CardDAV?

Yea the ID pics aren't a huge deal, but it's just nice seeing the big picture when someone calls. I remember when I moved to Android I was so sad that they showed a tiny square in the middle instead of like Apple. I still don't understand it.

Oh also, Google Contacts compresses the shit out of caller ID pics. Again, not a big thing to most...but it bugs me to no end.

Coincidence, I only really noticed this yesterday and have been wondering why. I thought it was related to my old Caller ID pictures.

Went ahead and turned off Contact synching with my Gmail account. It's all backed up through iCloud anyway.

Blackhead

Redarse
I think it has to do with the settings and customization of the device. It's hard to explain but if you have tried Android as well then you should get it...there's just so much more to do on an Android. The fact that 99% of the phone usage is in an app I think describes it pretty well. I would say it's only about 70-75% for me when on Android because I'm always playing with the OS.

yeah, I see that sentiment a bit on gaf and I think it has to be about home screen customization and tinkering. Because if you just use your phone for browsing and apps (you know, actually doing things), iOS isn't boring.

Note that I'm not saying that anyone moving from iOS is doing it for that one reason. There are plenty of reasons for someone to need to be on Android instead of iOS. Just saying that I think the people who are "bored" of the OS are looking for things to putter around with.

It's funny but I use the comparison similar to how PC and Mac users tinker with their device.
A PC user will likely build and customise yet a Mac user just wants something out of the box that works.
I understand why apple do it but when it's given as choices then it's not being pushed down our throats.
Replacing google maps with apple maps was one such thing that ruined the user experience.

My previous phone was an Android.

I agree, Android is more open but other than that they're both kinda the same. I love Android and I love iOS. I just think Apple has better thing going with the whole eco-system thing.

That explains it.

Great analogy.

What's your explanation then of the people moving from iOS to Windows Phone?

Shanks

How do I get it so when someone is calling, I get their name and picture up at the top versus blowing up their contact image to the entire screen? It looks so much nicer.

LCfiner

What's your explanation then of the people moving from iOS to Windows Phone?

All eight of them?

OK, not really but when i look at WP7 now 8, I see a much greater focus on integrating social network status updates and picture uploads into the home screen UI. it floats that data up much better than iOS so for someone who's really into that, it's certainly a compelling reason to move from iOS.

Also cheevos, dude!

ChanHuk

Banned
All eight of them?

OK, not really but when i look at WP7 now 8, I see a much greater focus on integrating social network status updates and picture uploads into the home screen UI. it floats that data up much better than iOS so for someone who's really into that, it's certainly a compelling reason to move from iOS.

Also cheevos, dude!

I have a Lumia 900 and used it for maybe 6 weeks. I got the phone from Microsoft as a "challenge", then Nokia paid me $100 for having the phone. Went back to my 4S, and sold it two weeks before I got my 5 and was ecstatic to move back to iOS. Granted I liked the Windows Phone experience, much more than my Android experience. I was able to pick up and use it while with Android I was pretty lost. The Lumia 920 and HTC 8X are amazing phones as well.

matt360

I find all these reports of varying battery usage to be highly... Unscientific.

It occurs to me it's VERY hard to compare. For example, shot above - it has been charged since starting recording. Sure maybe it was only a few minutes to sync, but that breaks the flow and can make a difference if plugged in at the bottom end of charge, as we all know battery charging (and I assume draining) is not a linear process.

Further, usage is highly variable. Not just push, brightness and stuff but processor usage. Games drain battery a lot and also depends on the game. Music h264 codec is hardware so is very little drain on the battery, not to mention not using the screen. I'm sure you could do a dozen hours easily if you just listened.

Radio usage is obviously a big one, but our browsing habits would be very different. Browsing a web page and taking 15 minutes to read it will take less battery than swapping back and forth from reloading forum pages. Even our habits within that can make a difference. Do you use back button a lot or use the neogaf icon to reload the forum?

And it never takes into account radio strength and signal of our respective locations. I'm pretty sure I get worse drain at work when I'm not on wifi but with wifi on always searching.

I don't doubt that there are bad batteries and some high drain settings out there, but I suspect most 'bad battery' complaints are more likely related to specific use. I mean, there is nothing particularly special about the battery hardware in the iPhone. The advances in life will be due mostly to software. The manufacture of the battery, I assume to be pretty industry standard and this relatively low failure rates. People getting 1 or 2 hours maybe have bad batteries, but those getting 4-6 are probably within spec and just low to their use case and environment.

While everything you said about usage habits is true, I still think that "many" of the people getting 4-6 hours are experiencing some kind of problem unrelated to their habits. I have had the iPhone 3G, 4, and now 5, all while living in the same area, Hiroshima City, where signal strength has greatly improved over the last 5 years.

I had fantastic battery life with my 3G and 4, but I average about 3-5 hours with my iPhone 5. We do have LTE in Hiroshima City but I have it turned off. Bluetooth is off, mail set to manual, brightness at 30%, almost zero gaming (most of my iOS gaming is now done on my iPad for fear of draining my iPhone battery). I browse the internet normally, and possibly slightly more than with past phones due to the faster speed of the current phone. But even so, when I check my cellular data usage, it is waaaaayyyyyy more than it should be. Something is definitely going on behind the scenes, and I'm not the only one this is happening to.

I've tried DFU restores, turning off iCloud, setting up as new, and all of the other tricks, but nothing helps. I am on my third iPhone 5 and nothing has changed. I'm gonna wait for the next iOS update in hopes that it'll help, otherwise I'll just keep returning it until I get one I'm satisfied with.

Vyer

While everything you said about usage habits is true, I still think that "many" of the people getting 4-6 hours are experiencing some kind of problem unrelated to their habits. I have had the iPhone 3G, 4, and now 5, all while living in the same area, Hiroshima City, where signal strength has greatly improved over the last 5 years.

I had fantastic battery life with my 3G and 4, but I average about 3-5 hours with my iPhone 5. We do have LTE in Hiroshima City but I have it turned off. Bluetooth is off, mail set to manual, brightness at 30%, almost zero gaming (most of my iOS gaming is now done on my iPad for fear of draining my iPhone battery). I browse the internet normally, and possibly slightly more than with past phones due to the faster speed of the current phone. But even so, when I check my cellular data usage, it is waaaaayyyyyy more than it should be. Something is definitely going on behind the scenes, and I'm not the only one this is happening to.

I've tried DFU restores, turning off iCloud, setting up as new, and all of the other tricks, but nothing helps. I am on my third iPhone 5 and nothing has changed. I'm gonna wait for the next iOS update in hopes that it'll help, otherwise I'll just keep returning it until I get one I'm satisfied with.

Well, yeah...that's definitely the issue.

What apps do you use?

mrkgoo

That's kind of my point that a 'bad phone' isn't the likely cause. That many people have similar 'issues' overall. I feel that the battery life of 4-6 he's is probably the average and not because of any 'fault' per se. More likely software optimisations and/or bugs.

No doubt there are good and bad examples of battery, but it's not a mystery method to making those things and I don't imagine a huge range in variation.

Ashhong

How do I get it so when someone is calling, I get their name and picture up at the top versus blowing up their contact image to the entire screen? It looks so much nicer.

Damn, the exact opposite of what I've been complaining about lol. I don't know about any settings, but if you sync your contacts with Google Contacts / Exchange, and then delete the actual contacts off of your phone (so that all of your contacts are from Google) then it will show up in a tiny box. I don't know any other way.

Why do you prefer this? Are your contact pictures blurry when full screen or something?

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I find the phone to have a fantastic battery life. I've owned the iPhone, 3G, 3GS and now the 5 and I have to say that the iPhone 5 has slightly better battery than all of those which makes it even more impressive when you take into account the added power. Furthermore, I turn off push notifications for any uneccessary app, I never have Bluetooth enabled unless its in the car (while the phone is charging anyways via car charger), wifi search is turned off, etc. Furthermore, I charge my phone at work most of the time also, so I'm almost always at, or close to 100%.

matt360

Well, yeah...that's definitely the issue.

What apps do you use?

Safari, Facebook, Twitter, Neogaf, Pulse, Downcast, Nike+GPS, Instagram, Mail, Music, and Skype get the most action. I do realize that several of those are power hungry and consume a lot of battery in a short amount of time. I allot for that. And I make sure that I close them out of the task bar (especially Skype) after I finish using them. But there's absolutely no excuse to be losing 1% every two minutes on Twitter when all I'm doing is scrolling through a single page. Something is straight up "wrong."

Granted, when I turn Cellular Data off, my battery life is fantastic. I can easily get 10 hours with wifi only, which leads me to believe that the problem is not hardware related, and might potentially be fixed in a future update. But still, there's no reason why, with LTE off and all other variables the same, I should be getting roughly half of the battery life on my 5 compared to my 3G and 4.

I find the phone to have a fantastic battery life. I've owned the iPhone, 3G, 3GS and now the 5 and I have to say that the iPhone 5 has slightly better battery than all of those which makes it even more impressive when you take into account the added power. Furthermore, I turn off push notifications for any uneccessary app, I never have Bluetooth enabled unless its in the car (while the phone is charging anyways via car charger), wifi search is turned off, etc. Furthermore, I charge my phone at work most of the time also, so I'm almost always at, or close to 100%.

If you're constantly charging your phone how can you possibly know what kind of battery life it has? Did you also have your charger handy with your old phones? I never, ever had to worry about my phone dying with my 3G or 4. And that was with extremely heavy use. I would play FF Tactics for an entire hour over my lunch break, check email, twitter, etc., about once an hour, stream sports games and I never once came close to depleting the battery.

Trying to decide between this and the Xperia T, and having a hard time of it. The T is cheaper and has the iPhone beat in a number of areas. But I'm a Mac owner and an iPad user so my life is easier if I stay within the same ecosystem. I also have to wonder if ICS can live up to iOS' ergonomics.

lupinko

Trying to decide between this and the Xperia T, and having a hard time of it. The T is cheaper and has the iPhone beat in a number of areas. But I'm a Mac owner and an iPad user so my life is easier if I stay within the same ecosystem. I also have to wonder if ICS can live up to iOS' ergonomics.

You could just update it to jellybean.

Mairu

Just get an iPhone :p

Vyer

Safari, Facebook, Twitter, Neogaf, Pulse, Downcast, Nike+GPS, Instagram, Mail, Music, and Skype get the most action. I do realize that several of those are power hungry and consume a lot of battery in a short amount of time. I allot for that. And I make sure that I close them out of the task bar (especially Skype) after I finish using them. But there's absolutely no excuse to be losing 1% every two minutes on Twitter when all I'm doing is scrolling through a single page. Something is straight up "wrong."

Granted, when I turn Cellular Data off, my battery life is fantastic. I can easily get 10 hours with wifi only, which leads me to believe that the problem is not hardware related, and might potentially be fixed in a future update. But still, there's no reason why, with LTE off and all other variables the same, I should be getting roughly half of the battery life on my 5 compared to my 3G and 4.

No, I would say something is definitely pulling data on you pretty regularly. I know there was some sort of carrier issue regarding data at one time, but I think that had a carrier update. Verizon maybe, I don't recall.

Are you seeing that "circle" spinning in the upper left corner when not in app or in the browser? I wonder if this data you are chewing through is all background or a mix of some sort. One would think if it was any standard apps or software you would see the battery life on wifi as well since most of them wouldn't care where they were pulling data from. Odd situation.

I think it's a little unfair to just label people tinkerers, if they want to move away from iOS

I will be getting the Nexus 4 and keeping it completely stock. I will not be "tinkering" it in any form at all.

What some people might not consider, is that people genuinely get bored with things if they use them day in day out. I'm an engineer at heart, so I have strong interests in technology. Like I called it before, it's a technological itch that needs to be scratched for me. Android have been making huge steps, a lot more larger and riskier ones than Apple have made, and that's why it feels, to me that Apple have been stagnant. There are many examples where android trumps iOS, one of which are notifications, which Apple STILL haven't got right. The notification centre IS USEFUL, but only about 30%, the Android implementation is a lot more useful.

The other thing is, I've been using mobiles since about the late 90's, and within that time I've used many, from Ericssons PH 338's, (no, not Sony Ericssons), Sony J70's, Motorola Startacs, 8110's, 3210's and a whole host of other phones. We used to change our phones twice a year at least back in the day. So my own personal reasons for change far exceed just wanting to "tinker"

I also thnk it's very disingenuous to say that people who want to move from iOS are just gonna change home screens and stuff. Android to me, is the most advanced phone OS on the market. The update to the camera, the keyboard and the notification centre in 4.2 are just some of thing things that Android does better than iOS.

This is part of it. The rest of it is Android generally has a cleaner/prettier UI, cheaper phones, faster phone options for 90% of the year, faster UI updates, more consumer hardware options and generally better functionality due to the more open nature of it all, from notifications to widgets to quick access settings etc.

Apple is having a rough time keeping up, and you pretty much have to be jailbroken to compete with base Android functionality. Android is preferable for people who value aesthetics and functionality, over say accessibility and support.

Basically this

But hey this is an Apple thread. So ill stop there!

matt360

No, I would say something is definitely pulling data on you pretty regularly. I know there was some sort of carrier issue regarding data at one time, but I think that had a carrier update. Verizon maybe, I don't recall.

Are you seeing that "circle" spinning in the upper left corner when not in app or in the browser? I wonder if this data you are chewing through is all background or a mix of some sort. One would think if it was any standard apps or software you would see the battery life on wifi as well since most of them wouldn't care where they were pulling data from. Odd situation.

I honestly haven't noticed the spinning circle. A lot of it seems to happen when the phone is in sleep mode. Pretty much 100% of the time when I wake up my phone after 20 minutes of no use it will instantly lose a percentage. Even if I put it right back to sleep and pick it up later, it will lose another point. I've only tried not plugging it in at night once, but I lost 15% overnight in standby mode, which also shouldn't happen.

Another thing I've noticed is that every other person I know in Hiroshima who has an iPhone 5 is experiencing the same problem. A few of them aren't tech savvy in the least, and they are still noticing the difference. None of them are gamers, and most are very light users. A coworker of mine averages just over three hours (mostly because he plays a Gundam social game constantly).

I'm with the provider Softbank, which is known in Japan as being the worst of the major three, although they recently received a major upgrade. However, Hiroshima City is a major urban area and I have never had a problem with 3G coverage in the past with my 3G and 4. I'm no engineer and I'm really just talking out of my ass here, but I really feel like Apple and Softbank are just not playing nice here. Maybe some faulty code in the iOS that draws too much power from the battery trying to maintain a strong signal when it's not really necessary. Or maybe it's Softbank skimping on service as they tend to do. Either way, I am completely dissatisfied with the iPhone 5. If I could return it and go back to my 4 I would do so in a heartbeat. But that's what I get for being an early adopter I suppose.

Marco1

Now that ios6 has panoramic, are there any camera apps similar to photosphere on jellybean?
I was using a friends and I think it looks great.

Haven't had a chance to take a pic at 1% yet. This is about 30% brightness. Light gaming, wi-fi Safari, email, Tweetbot, etc. Bluetooth off, email push off. Better than my iPhone 4 was after 2 years for sure. Can't really remember how it was new compared to this.

bJEVP.jpg

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
getting my iphone 5 today. selling my iphone 4 with 5.1 fw and its jailbroken. How do i make sure all my info is completely wiped from the phone? i did the "erase all data and settings" but nothing happens.

Dunk#7

SOMEBODY COMFORT ME

I just got my iPhone 5 two days ago and I have upgraded from my launch day 3GS. Huge upgrade, but I always had an OtterBox on my 3GS.

Based on a lot of the talk on here I have decided to go caseless, but it has me worried.

The phone slides out of my pocket very easily without a rubber case.

I love the way the phone looks so I am trying not to cover it with an ugly case, but it is nerve racking.

SOMEBODY COMFORT ME

I just got my iPhone 5 two days ago and I have upgraded from my launch day 3GS. Huge upgrade, but I always had an OtterBox on my 3GS.

Based on a lot of the talk on here I have decided to go caseless, but it has me worried.

I love the way the phone looks so I am trying not to cover it with an ugly case, but it is nerve racking.

I got a nice scuffgate-ness while going caseless. Still caseless but more will happen. Good luck!

Dunk#7

I got a nice scuffgate-ness while going caseless. Still caseless but more will happen. Good luck!

Haha that is not very comforting.

With the new Gorilla Glass 2 do I have to worry about the screen cracking very much with average drops?

I rarely drop my phone, but that was when it had a rubber case and stuck to the sides of my pocket. Now I am worried about it slipping out and hitting the ground when I sit down or lean back in a chair.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Does anyone with the white IP5 notice any kind of scuffs on theirs? I always figured thebalck ones would be the only one prone to this, due to using colored aluminum. On the white one, the aluminum is native through and through so even if it scuffs it should not show, right?

cjkeats

Does anyone with the white IP5 notice any kind of scuffs on theirs? I always figured thebalck ones would be the only one prone to this, due to using colored aluminum. On the white one, the aluminum is native through and through so even if it scuffs it should not show, right?

I haven't gotten any yet, but scuffs will defiantly show, if my iPhone 4's band proves anything. I'm terrified for the giant aluminum back.

LiK

i'm a heavy tweeter and check GAF/websites often and use LTE. went from 100% to 38% from 8AM to 12:30PM. not too bad. lasted longer than my Droid X did with an extended battery. i can recharge during lunch time.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
SOMEBODY COMFORT ME

I've never used a case for any of my iPhones, and I've had iPhones since 2007. The iPhone 5 is a bit different than the 3GS in that scratches are much more viewable. That being said, if you're not clumsy and somewhat take care of your phone, yet want to forgo a case, just buy a sleeve. Amazon has some really nice ones on the cheap, which is especially great if you're a Prime member.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I haven't gotten any yet, but scuffs will defiantly show, if my iPhone 4's band proves anything. I'm terrified for the giant aluminum back.
They would show yes, but it would be a silver scuff on a silver surface, as opposed to a silver scuff on otherwise black surface. That's why I was asking if it's even noticeable compared to a black model.

mrkgoo

I got 7 and a half hrs usage yesterday, down to around 20%. Of course a lot of that was listening to audio. Probably closer to 4-5 hrs. Funny thing is that I wanted to drain that last 20% in little time, but it was taking ages so unjust gave up and plugged it in.

So I have a m4r ringtone file ready to go on my laptop, but I don't have a sync cable with me and I can't sync wirelessly over our work network. Is there any way to add a ringtone from the phone itself without needing a cable?

(Times like these I wish I hadn't updated to non-jailbroken iOS 6)

Top Bottom