• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Just picked up a black 5 for myself and a white 5 for my girlfriend.

Ordered last night at around 10:00PM ET for delivery (said 2-3 week wait and not in stock for pickup anywhere). About 40 minutes later, I cancelled my orders and tried to do an instore reservation and suddenly every store in the area had stock. Glad I checked it again.

Now I just need to get rid of my 4.

Nemic77

I'll be getting my first iPhone tomorrow after years of Android... Decided on the black Iphone 5...

Meanwhile I bought 2 cases: A crystal hard case plus a black mate one that isn't as hard as the first one.

Should I be worried about scuffs on the borders from the hard case? I doesn't feel flexible at all and I'm worried it might damage the borders when applying it to the iPhone.

Anyone care to share their experiences with hard cases?

Ashhong

It's possible that the hard case with scuff it. Post some pics once you install it please. I haven't seen many pics of a black phone in a clear crystal case.

diehard

Fleer
If it's that cheap why cant they just make a goddamn 6' Lightning cable and sell for 5$??????????

It can't reach the kickstarter goal until all the first tiers are fulfilled and over $10K @ $22 are sold.

So nearly a $20 average for them to even ship them out.

schick85

I downloaded a college lecture course on iTunes U, and not only does it show up on my podcast app, it eats up twice as much space. Is there a way around this? Deleting it from the podcast app just deletes it the iTunes U file.

Do you think it's unreasonable to suspect that using a case could decrease your battery life? I'm going caseless with my 5 and the battery life has definitely been better than my cased 4. I was watching a Lumia 920 user on Mashable talking about how she thinks her battery life is decreased whenever the phone gets warmer (but obviously that could be because it's running more stuff). Maybe going naked keeps it from it from trapping heat in the back and keeping it just a couple degrees cooler which may help battery life??

Do you think it's unreasonable to suspect that using a case could decrease your battery life? I'm going caseless with my 5 and the battery life has definitely been better than my cased 4. I was watching a Lumia 920 user on Mashable talking about how she thinks her battery life is decreased whenever the phone gets warmer (but obviously that could be because it's running more stuff). Maybe going naked keeps it from it from trapping heat in the back and keeping it just a couple degrees cooler which may help battery life??

yup that sounds pretty unreasonable.

Probably has more to do with the fact that its a new battery in a new phone

LCfiner

The only thing I can think of are those milled aluminum cases that could decrease antenna reception. If the antenna is always struggling to get signal or switching between 3G/ LTE and Edge because of the reduced antenna performance from these niche cases, then battery could decrease.

but a plastic case? nah.

Has anybody gotten iTunes WiFi sync to work?

I tried to set it up last night but it wasn't working at all. I even updated iTunes to 10.7 or whatever the latest version was just to make sure, but my phone wasn't just picking it up at all.

DeVeAn

Okay I need advice. Just got a 5 today and 2 things. 1 I have that damn yellow tint and 2 my wi fi keeps dropping a bar or two and I am within 10 feet of it. My 4 never had this issue. My wife doesn't have this on her 5. Should I get a return started? The wi fi really bugs me as I use it tons.

Vyer

Okay I need advice. Just got a 5 today and 2 things. 1 I have that damn yellow tint and 2 my wi fi keeps dropping a bar or two and I am within 10 feet of it. My 4 never had this issue. My wife doesn't have this on her 5. Should I get a return started? The wi fi really bugs me as I use it tons.

Might as well.

Ashhong

Has anybody gotten iTunes WiFi sync to work?

I tried to set it up last night but it wasn't working at all. I even updated iTunes to 10.7 or whatever the latest version was just to make sure, but my phone wasn't just picking it up at all.

Used it last night. Did you select "Sync over Wifi" in the iPhone window on iTunes first?

crispyben

Hey GAF, I went to bed last night (Tuesday) with my new iPhone 5 at around 23% battery left, and this morning (Wednesday) it was off. However, I fully charged it on Sunday evening, and when I got up on Monday, it had only lost 5%... WTF?!?

Can you also comment on my usage stats? Usage 11 hours, standby 2 days and 8 hours, with maybe 30 minutes spent plugged in while syncing some stuff in between. Is that OK? I called maybe 20 minutes, listened to music a lot and browsed some in 3G and Wifi.

I don't see how it adds up though, because only 56 hours elapsed between the full charge and my waking up this morning... Is usage included in the standby for total uptime?

Ashhong

Yep. I should note that I'm on Windows 7 so that might be one of the issues. Anyway, I'll try it again tomorrow.

So am I...

I think actually I had that problem for a bit randomly. I just restarted iTunes or my computer and it worked

uhhh 11 hours usage and 2 day standby is amazing. its possible something was running on your phone in the background last night which killed it faster than normal. I took my phone out of my pocket earlier today and it was a lot warmer than usual. Noticed that my battery had gone down a lot too. Just some rogue app.

kottila

Yesterday, my volume kept decreasing by itself at random times as if I was pressing the button (can see the volume bars decreasing). Hasn't done it yet so far today, so hopefully it has stopped. Find many forum posts describing the same problem and they had to replace their phones

Anilones

Does anyone else have inconsistent internet speeds on their iPhone 5s? For example, when using Facetime on home Wi-Fi the connection will constantly cut-out whereas using the iPad will work with no issues. I've also noticed that using mobile data the speeds will go to a crawl at times.

mrkgoo

Hey GAF, I went to bed last night (Tuesday) with my new iPhone 5 at around 23% battery left, and this morning (Wednesday) it was off. However, I fully charged it on Sunday evening, and when I got up on Monday, it had only lost 5%... WTF?!?

Can you also comment on my usage stats? Usage 11 hours, standby 2 days and 8 hours, with maybe 30 minutes spent plugged in while syncing some stuff in between. Is that OK? I called maybe 20 minutes, listened to music a lot and browsed some in 3G and Wifi.

I don't see how it adds up though, because only 56 hours elapsed between the full charge and my waking up this morning... Is usage included in the standby for total uptime?

Usage is included in standby, I think. It says that Standby is duration of time the device is powered on, even if asleep.

Listening to music takes barely any power. Apple have that stuff locked down from iPod days. the codecs, hardware etc. I remember when the iPad came out (10 hours use), and the test for audio, one site gave up testing, because they had run it for like 2 days straight, and it had only reached 70%.

My battery is very variable on what I'm doing and where. Anywhere from 4-10 hours (extrapolated).

HoTHiTTeR

Anyone having crazy problems w/ Personal Hotspot (on AT&T?) after iOS 6.0.1.?
I've even tried to upgrade via my dev acct to 6.1b2, and I've rebooted/reset network settings a bazillion times. One of two things happens when I try a bare metal restore;

-after a restore of a week-old backup w/ Hotspot enabled, I turn it on, but no devices see it. Hardwired into a laptop produces no data connectivity
-wiping the device and starting fresh means that I can't even get the phone to enable the feature at all. It keeps telling me that I need to call AT&T.

Necrovex

I have a question about the iPhone 5 and Siri.

Everyday I go on a five-mile bike ride. At times, people may call me, and I hate reaching into my pocket to answer my phone. I always listen to a podcast while biking, and my headset includes a mic (the set that comes with the iPhone 5). Is there any way to answer my phone with the mic, or am I doomed to manually answer the phone?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Are app updates the size of the entire app, or just a small piece?

Apps have the ability to delta-update since iOS 6, eg. only the updated parts of the app is downloaded and merged into your existing installation. But it varies from developer to developer who supports it or not.

I have a question about the iPhone 5 and Siri.

Everyday I go on a five-mile bike ride. At times, people may call me, and I hate reaching into my pocket to answer my phone. I always listen to a podcast while biking, and my headset includes a mic (the set that comes with the iPhone 5). Is there any way to answer my phone with the mic, or am I doomed to manually answer the phone?

Pretty sure you just push the center button on your headset to pick up the phone.

I think you can also just say 'Answer' with Siri.

Necrovex

Pretty sure you just push the center button on your headset to pick up the phone.

Apps have the ability to delta-update since iOS 6, eg. only the updated parts of the app is downloaded and merged into your existing installation. But it varies from developer to developer who supports it or not.

I think you can also just say 'Answer' with Siri.

Rad. Thanks for those answers!

mrkgoo

Usage is included in standby, I think. It says that Standby is duration of time the device is powered on, even if asleep.

Listening to music takes barely any power. Apple have that stuff locked down from iPod days. the codecs, hardware etc. I remember when the iPad came out (10 hours use), and the test for audio, one site gave up testing, because they had run it for like 2 days straight, and it had only reached 70%.

Marco1

After selling my ip5 and moving to android with a Samsung GS3 and then a Nexus4 I'm back.
It's like pulling your old slippers back on. I just had to much in the ecosystem to walk away from.

Husker86

After selling my ip5 and moving to android with a Samsung GS3 and then a Nexus4 I'm back.
It's like pulling your old slippers back on. I just had to much in the ecosystem to walk away from.

That's why I like (hate) the situation I put myself in. I switch between often enough that I have ties to both ecosystems and am doomed to ping-pong between them forever.

Dammit.

armv

Considering I was looking into a Nexus 4, any particular reason you went back to the iPhone?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Got my Griffin Reveal case and been using it for the past few days.

Pros:
- Very slim. Minimal bulk. Hell, my iPhone is now easier to hold now that it isn't slipping out of my hand anymore, and is more easily graspable.
- Sexy
- Lock button is actually.. More accessible with the rubber over it? Gives it some extra vertical height which means you have to claw less to actually hit the thing. Biggest surprise.
- Volume buttons responsive and work perfectly.
- I LOVE the way the silent switch is so cut out and accessible. The way it's recessed into the side is cool to
- Bumper is very rigid and I'm confident a direct hit on the edges would be survived
- Bumper allows for a millimeter or so of lift on both sides (front/back) to allow you to put it down without the screen making contact with whatever your putting it on. Just enough to be sufficient.
- Ports very much accessible at the bottom, and I'm kind of surprised how rigid the material is on the bottom too for what is usually flimsy on most cases. BUT, if you use L-shaped headphone connectors, you'll probably be fucked.
- Plastic back cover is very thin but very clear
- Put my phone in it and then took it out once, no scratches.

Cons:
- Edges of bumper on front/back are relatively sharp, not the greatest feeling when you really grip the phone. Not bothering me right now but I'm sure it will more over the years.
- Plastic back cover came with scratches and smudges on it I couldn't remove. Not noticeable at a glance and only when you really inspect the thing, but still.
- Plastic back cover is a dust magnet, especially around the edges. Don't have any serious smudges on it yet, but being plastic and all I expect lots of smudges
- Camera opening on the back of the phone is kind of ugly and awkward but I'm used to it already.
- Bumper edges have some slippage, doesn't take too much effort for it to stretch it to the side to reveal edges of the phone
- You get nothing in the packaging besides the case. Not even a paper. No microfiber cloth that you need to clean the case before you put your phone in it. With an retail price of $40, I expected at least that much.

Overall I love it. The best compromise for me and one of the better cases I've owned for anything. And for the 13$ I got it for instead of the, what $40 or so it sells for.

sruckus

Seeing my siblings' regular iPhones, they all look so short now. Definitely enjoying the added screen real estate and small size my 5 still. I also am pleasantly surprised each time I flip the phone to watch ESPN without letterbox.

Top Bottom