• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Marco1

Considering I was looking into a Nexus 4, any particular reason you went back to the iPhone?
The N4 is a great phone but the whole launch fiasco and google support put me off entirely. They didn't know who the courier was that would be delivering it.
Also jellybean didn't impress me as much as people said it would. I have no interest in knowing how detailed the os is doing its thing, I just want it to work.
People say how simplified, boring and unified iOS is but hats why I love it. I just want my phone to work not know why or how.
I actually like iTunes and the App Store has everything you need and the apps are supported.

raven777

I bought the verizon iphone5 from apple store at full price without any contract.I opened it and I was surprised there was already a verizon sim card included.

I turned on the phone and set up my phone, so I can use it now.
I tried making a call but it seems it goes to customer service for verizon.
Do I have to talk to the verizon people to setup my account? I don't intend to use verizon service unless they have month-to-month contract. If not I will just cut my ATT gophone sim card and use it.

mrkgoo

I don't know why this hasn't occurred to me until now, but does the push/fetch setting in system settings mail affect calendars and notes and stuff?

In the settings, you get a global button for push/fetch. I hate my mail pushing to me, and just want to check when I'm ready, so I set to fetch manually.

However, does this mean all my contacts and address book, notes, reminders etc (using icloud) are actually on fetch? So if I make a change in my address book on my mac, it doesn't actually push it to my phone (until I open it)?

ChanHuk

Banned
I bought the verizon iphone5 from apple store at full price without any contract.I opened it and I was surprised there was already a verizon sim card included.

Do I have to talk to the verizon people to setup my account? I don't intend to use verizon service unless they have month-to-month contract. If not I will just cut my ATT gophone sim card and use it.

Wat?

Obviously, why are you calling if you aren't using Verizon?
You can try going the cut sim route but you'll be limited to 3G, I think

lupinko

So I want a black iPhone but have a white iPad... don't you think they'll look a little mismatched?

firstworldproblems.gif

I plan on buying a white ipad 4th gen mainly because I think it looks better with the aluminium back, and I have a black/slate iPhone 5.

If I switched back to AT&T, would they be able to reactivate my iphone 4 right away while I wait for my AT&T iPhone to arrive? This verizon signal is absolutely terrible.

So do you guys use itunes to manage media or are there other options?

Yes and yes. Off the top of my head, Mediamonkey has a downloadable plugin that let's you use it to sync music and movies. Beyond that though, you gotta use iTunes for it.

I used Mediamonkey alot since it was the first one to provide decent Android sync support back then, but after I got my iP5 I've switched to iTunes. Not coz of my iP5 though, I use iTunes "Sound Check" feature instead. MM actually permanently adjusted the volume of the song instead of adjusting it software side like iTunes does.

raven777

Just ordered Power Support Air Jacket smoke for my iphone 5.

I have been fan of Power Support's films, used it form iphone 4 and ipads.

First time trying their Air Jacket. The only concern I have is that I heard its stiff so it might scratch the iphone's side when you take it out.

For those who have already been using smoke air jacket, do you get scratches easily(on the case)?

Just ordered Power Support Air Jacket smoke for my iphone 5.

I have been fan of Power Support's films, used it form iphone 4 and ipads.

First time trying their Air Jacket. The only concern I have is that I heard its stiff so it might scratch the iphone's side when you take it out.

For those who have already been using smoke air jacket, do you get scratches easily(on the case)?
Great choice. The plastic is very high quality, no visible scratches yet. I posted a 10% off code in the previous page hopefully you took advantage of it.

I use it on my black iPhone 5, although it was hard to remove it (initially) it did not scratch the phone.

raven777

Great choice. The plastic is very high quality, no visible scratches yet. I posted a 10% off code in the previous page hopefully you took advantage of it.

I use it on my black iPhone 5, although it was hard to remove it (initially) it did not scratch the phone.

wasn't the pictures you posted have white iphone 5?

Anyways, yes I used the code you posted. Thanks!

I was hoping I could use something other than iTunes, hopefully the new one is better (which is apparently coming very soon after being delayed last month).

Mafro

Thanks to whoever it was a few pages back that recommended the Power Support Air Jacket case. I ordered a black one from eBay and it's great.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
where can i get super cheap usb iphone 5 cables or at least iphone 4 to iphone cable converters.

asdad123

Anyone have a problem with their sound stopping working? Sometimes my sound completely stops working and nothing fixes it apart from turning the phone on and off. Flipping the vibrate switch shows the sound turning on and off before turning the phone off, but the sound doesn't work either way.

Ashhong

What the hell, my AT&T iPhone 4 didnt have it. I just sold it last weekend and I remember looking for one when I was with the buyer. Had to run in and find a damn paperclip.

Is anybody experiencing "No SIM" issues? A relative's Verizon iPhone keeps doing that, and he has to remove the SIM and put it back in, which is hard for him because he uses a goddamn OtterBox lolol

Just got my white iPhone 5. Wow. In love with this. The LTE is off the charts. Posting from it now. I can't get over how gorgeous this thing is and just how light it is.

Next up is the MacBook Air!

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Has anyone's 5 been running a bit slowly recently? I've noticed it mainly with my text messages. Sometimes I'll actually see the message and read it before I get any notification that it's come through.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone's 5 been running a bit slowly recently? I've noticed it mainly with my text messages. Sometimes I'll actually see the message and read it before I get any notification that it's come through.

The opposite is true for me. I get the notification and my message doesn't appear right away.

Mr.Fresh

Only time that happens is when I'm sitting in the messaging app.

I finally received my iphone yesterday morning, even though I have a friend who owns one and all the pictures you can see online the device itself is so thin, makes my old android look overweight and that phone wasn't that big. Also compared it to my sisters iPhone 4 and it's night and day in weight even with a rubber case on mine.

Lovely piece of kit, after owning multiple touch devices and an ipad since last march it's nice to have one which can make phone calls :)

I can see this phone lasting me a good while, paid for it outright from apple so my monthly bill is cheaper overall just paying for insurance and a sim.

Battery feels real good right now, full charge, taken to work and messed with and came home with 76% with about 2 hours useage on random apps and browsing online over 3g, also playing some games last night for 2 hours only took about 40%, like double the life of my 4g touch.

goodfella

Man the screen is nice compared to my 3GS.

An irrationally large part of the reason I decided to stay with iOS and not switch to android is the hope for a significant interface change up with Ive. There is no doubt that the hardware is here with the iPhone 5.

jyoung188

Well, fuck. I've had my iPhone 5 for 12 days and today I dropped it and shattered the screen. I had the phone in my shirt pocket and leaned over, it slipped out of the pocket and fell about 2.5 feet onto concrete. It landed perfectly on the top right corner of the front glass and fucking shattered it, it didn't even scuff the bezel. The corner has a ton of tiny cracks and there's 5 huge cracks across the rest of the screen.

I don't like cases so I didn't have one, and I was a dumb ass and didn't buy apple care this time. I got apple care for my last 2 iPhones (3gs and 4) and never had to use it so I thought I'd skip it this time and now I'm paying for it. I never had cases on my 3gs or 4 and I only dropped them a couple times and got lucky, I'm usually more careful. I'm never putting my iPhone in my shirt pocket again for sure.

I've done some light googling and from what I can tell replacement screens are crazy expensive. So I phoned a local repair shop and they wanted $400!!! That's more than the goddamn phone! So I guess I'm stuck with getting it replaced (the whole fucking phone) at an apple store.

I have an appointment at the genius bar on Monday. I have 30 days to purchase Apple Care+ but I can't buy it online and they have to inspect the phone at an apple store, so I don't think I can swing that. It would've been $49 if i had Apple Care+ but I think I'll have to pay $230.

It's all my fault, I should've got apple care, I should've had a case on it, and I shouldn't have put it in my shirt pocket.

I am so bummed right now....

:,(

TLDR - I dropped my iPhone and I'm fucked.

mrkgoo

An irrationally large part of the reason I decided to stay with iOS and not switch to android is the hope for a significant interface change up with Ive. There is no doubt that the hardware is here with the iPhone 5.

A lesson I've learnt using an iPhone - never buy anything on the promise or potential. That's a sure fire way of getting disappointed. Buy stuff for what it has now, everything that comes after is a bonus.

And jyoung, sucks to break your phone. I go caseless and get a lot of dust. I'm extra careful with my phone. Never put it in loose pockets. Never baby it lightly, make sure you have a firm grip. I'd rather get scuffs and finger prints than drop it. Of note the oleo phobic coating is sweet. Finger prints rub off very easily.

But yah, the phone is actually a US$600+ phone, with probably the screen as the most expensive part, especially now that it's laminated to the display.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Are these damn things available in store yet?

I'm going to just pull the trigger and renew with AT&T and get the iPhone 5 after researching alternatives. Sigh...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Well, fuck. I've had my iPhone 5 for 12 days and today I dropped it and shattered the screen. I had the phone in my shirt pocket and leaned over, it slipped out of the pocket and fell about 2.5 feet onto concrete. It landed perfectly on the top right corner of the front glass and fucking shattered it, it didn't even scuff the bezel. The corner has a ton of tiny cracks and there's 5 huge cracks across the rest of the screen.

I don't like cases so I didn't have one, and I was a dumb ass and didn't buy apple care this time. I got apple care for my last 2 iPhones (3gs and 4) and never had to use it so I thought I'd skip it this time and now I'm paying for it. I never had cases on my 3gs or 4 and I only dropped them a couple times and got lucky, I'm usually more careful. I'm never putting my iPhone in my shirt pocket again for sure.

I've done some light googling and from what I can tell replacement screens are crazy expensive. So I phoned a local repair shop and they wanted $400!!! That's more than the goddamn phone! So I guess I'm stuck with getting it replaced (the whole fucking phone) at an apple store.

I have an appointment at the genius bar on Monday. I have 30 days to purchase Apple Care+ but I can't buy it online and they have to inspect the phone at an apple store, so I don't think I can swing that. It would've been $49 if i had Apple Care+ but I think I'll have to pay $230.

It's all my fault, I should've got apple care, I should've had a case on it, and I shouldn't have put it in my shirt pocket.

I am so bummed right now....

:,(

TLDR - I dropped my iPhone and I'm fucked.

I've never really dealt with Apple with this kind of stuff. Any chances they might be sympathetic and give you a free replacement considering it's only been less than 2 weeks?

I would be happy if we could get widgets of some kind for the main pages, like a twitter feed which takes up an entire row of icons but updates and scrolls through stuff. aka what android users can do right now!

the 5 has the power to do so for sure.

Top Bottom