• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Well, fuck. I've had my iPhone 5 for 12 days and today I dropped it and shattered the screen. I had the phone in my shirt pocket and leaned over, it slipped out of the pocket and fell about 2.5 feet onto concrete. It landed perfectly on the top right corner of the front glass and fucking shattered it, it didn't even scuff the bezel. The corner has a ton of tiny cracks and there's 5 huge cracks across the rest of the screen.

I don't like cases so I didn't have one, and I was a dumb ass and didn't buy apple care this time. I got apple care for my last 2 iPhones (3gs and 4) and never had to use it so I thought I'd skip it this time and now I'm paying for it. I never had cases on my 3gs or 4 and I only dropped them a couple times and got lucky, I'm usually more careful. I'm never putting my iPhone in my shirt pocket again for sure.

I've done some light googling and from what I can tell replacement screens are crazy expensive. So I phoned a local repair shop and they wanted $400!!! That's more than the goddamn phone! So I guess I'm stuck with getting it replaced (the whole fucking phone) at an apple store.

I have an appointment at the genius bar on Monday. I have 30 days to purchase Apple Care+ but I can't buy it online and they have to inspect the phone at an apple store, so I don't think I can swing that. It would've been $49 if i had Apple Care+ but I think I'll have to pay $230.

It's all my fault, I should've got apple care, I should've had a case on it, and I shouldn't have put it in my shirt pocket.

I am so bummed right now....

:,(

TLDR - I dropped my iPhone and I'm fucked.
Lol, this EXACT thing happened to me couple weeks ago. I'm just living with a cracked phone for now, until cheap replacement screens start appearing. If Apple replaces yours free or you get some other cheap deal, you should let me know!

123rl

Anyone on 3 in the UK noticed a massive boost in speed recently? I don't think I've dropped below a 5 bar signal in the last month and my data speeds are regularly 6-10mb/s. I just tested again and got this 20mb/s and 4mb/s upload!! Who needs EE's overpriced and gimped 4G?

solarus

My last iPhone was the 3GS and since then I have had a htc hd2 running android and then a galaxy note, but the iPhone 5 is the best phone I have ever used. This thing is blazingly fast, while android is superior in features at this point, I still prefer ios mostly because of the apps and the smoothness of it all, although I never got to try jelly bean. If you intend to play games at all there really is no other choice, on that note king cashing is amazing. Have had no issues with scuffing or battery life on my black yet.

Battery life has been really good for me so far but overnight I dropped from 54% to 44% now in around 8 hours and I think I know why.

When I turned my screen on my phone was on 3G for a second until it grabbed the wifi signal again, I'm guessing that overnight it's dropping my local connection in favor for 3G and that alone is using more power, I hope apple can do something about that.

I'll experiment tonight by turning 3G data off.

Anyone on 3 in the UK noticed a massive boost in speed recently? I don't think I've dropped below a 5 bar signal in the last month and my data speeds are regularly 6-10mb/s. I just tested again and got this 20mb/s and 4mb/s upload!! Who needs EE's overpriced and gimped 4G?

I'm not on 3 but I have noticed my O2 signal is terrible on the 5 while at home, my galaxy ace would always be nearly full if not full while my iphone 5 shows 1-2 bars until I walk outside and down the street.

mrkgoo

Diablohead: I've heard that that is pretty standard. I think it does that for me too. I lose about 4-5% overnight.

In other news, been playing with the iPhone 5 camera. It's pretty incredible what it can do. Can't believe these are pictures from my phone!

The detail is amazing for such small optics.

Untouched, straight out of phone:

Macro-style:

100% crop:

At Muriwai Beach (click through to get to larger sizes on my Flickr):

A couple playing with HDR mode:

And what you can do if you touch up a little (mind you, I'm not a great toucher-upper, so just a couple of minutes worth):

And obligatory Panorama (full-size is around 25 megapixels!):

mackattk

Well, fuck. I've had my iPhone 5 for 12 days and today I dropped it and shattered the screen. I had the phone in my shirt pocket and leaned over, it slipped out of the pocket and fell about 2.5 feet onto concrete. It landed perfectly on the top right corner of the front glass and fucking shattered it, it didn't even scuff the bezel. The corner has a ton of tiny cracks and there's 5 huge cracks across the rest of the screen.

I don't like cases so I didn't have one, and I was a dumb ass and didn't buy apple care this time. I got apple care for my last 2 iPhones (3gs and 4) and never had to use it so I thought I'd skip it this time and now I'm paying for it. I never had cases on my 3gs or 4 and I only dropped them a couple times and got lucky, I'm usually more careful. I'm never putting my iPhone in my shirt pocket again for sure.

I've done some light googling and from what I can tell replacement screens are crazy expensive. So I phoned a local repair shop and they wanted $400!!! That's more than the goddamn phone! So I guess I'm stuck with getting it replaced (the whole fucking phone) at an apple store.

I have an appointment at the genius bar on Monday. I have 30 days to purchase Apple Care+ but I can't buy it online and they have to inspect the phone at an apple store, so I don't think I can swing that. It would've been $49 if i had Apple Care+ but I think I'll have to pay $230.

It's all my fault, I should've got apple care, I should've had a case on it, and I shouldn't have put it in my shirt pocket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSaQx1jgM-I

Are these damn things available in store yet?

I'm going to just pull the trigger and renew with AT&T and get the iPhone 5 after researching alternatives. Sigh...

yeah it looks better now. i just walked into a verizon a few days ago and they had a boatload. it also went down from 3-4 weeks to 2 weeks shipment on the website so supply looks good.

worst comes to worst ive personally seen all of the sprint/radioshacks with stock so you might wanna try those too.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Slightly off-topic question: Has anyone seen any good Toy Story wallpaper for a 5? I can't find anything and am on the verge of trying to make my own.

i've been looking at Apple Care; is it worth it for the iPhone?

EDIT: wrote this before I saw jyoung188's post; sorry about your phone
I got insurance from Square Trade, which I think is worth looking into. I don't touch Apple Care anymore.

Marco1

Those photos above look great but after using a nexus 4 for a few days, I'm hoping that a new app or update brings the photosphere mode over.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Jesus, didn't know this had a nano sim. Anyone know if I should cut my micro for it? Or is it safer to just buy a new one?

It's not like they gain any space for changing it from micro :S Just trying to push their own developed format

edit, nvm. Just had it cut, works fine

zychi

Banned
Slightly off-topic question: Has anyone seen any good Toy Story wallpaper for a 5? I can't find anything and am on the verge of trying to make my own.

I got insurance from Square Trade, which I think is worth looking into. I don't touch Apple Care anymore.
i had sq tr with my iphone 4. the port went bad, st wanted 150 deductible. may as well get applecare if theyre gonna do that.

e: any word on a jailbreak? i am dying to use avplayer again at work. it sucks that mkv isnt supported locally on an apps. :/

Ashhong

i had sq tr with my iphone 4. the port went bad, st wanted 150 deductible. may as well get applecare if theyre gonna do that.

e: any word on a jailbreak? i am dying to use avplayer again at work. it sucks that mkv isnt supported locally on an apps. :/

This doesn't make sense, their site says like a 25$ deductible. Details on why it was 150?

zychi

Banned
This doesn't make sense, their site says like a 25$ deductible. Details on why it was 150?

When I tried to file a claim that the port wasn't working properly. They asked for my credit card with this notice above the information:

Upon clicking “File Claim”, SquareTrade will place a hold in the amount of $150.00 on your credit card. This amount will be billed to your credit card if your claim is approved AND it is determined that the reason for the claim is accidental damage. Otherwise, we will not bill your card.

I called to ask why they need the hold, and the CS told me it was in case I was being fraudulent.

Went to the Apple store, told them my problem, mind you this is two years after I purchased it and out of warranty. Quick swap, no charge. Done.

mf.luder

Same thing happened to me, minus the screen damage. I can deal with damage to the band around the sides, it was bound to happen.

Ashhong

When I tried to file a claim that the port wasn't working properly. They asked for my credit card with this notice above the information:

I called to ask why they need the hold, and the CS told me it was in case I was being fraudulent.

Went to the Apple store, told them my problem, mind you this is two years after I purchased it and out of warranty. Quick swap, no charge. Done.

Oh it was a deductible, I didn't see that. Also, doesn't ST cover accidental damage? How could it be fraudulent? I don't see the big deal if you have nothing to hide and they will return the $150. Your Apple experience is pretty lucky, I wouldn't expect that all the time.

So is it just me, or is my iphone 5 still not keeping the wifi even after the update?

You mean while the screen is off?

Nori Chan

That's normal behavior for all smart phones in my experience. Even my Android, when I turned on the screen I would see it connect to WIFI at that moment.

Oh no, I mean like it doesn't connect back to it. It was a problem earlier in this threads lifetime and I apparantly still have it.

Mairu

Thanks for this.
Thought that the android version was exclusive to google because it used the same tech street view uses.

After I got my iPhone 5, my sister was playing with the Panorama mode on iPhone and she found it to be inferior to the MS App- which has been on iOS for a number of years. I don't do a lot of photography myself, so I can't really evaluate either one

Ashhong

After I got my iPhone 5, my sister was playing with the Panorama mode on iPhone and she found it to be inferior to the MS App- which has been on iOS for a number of years. I don't do a lot of photography myself, so I can't really evaluate either one

What is the MS app?

coldvein

Banned

thanks, i needed a laugh.

hey guys, any recommendations on a nice case for use with an L shaped headphone plug?

i was interested in both the power support one as well as the speck candyshell but it looks like my L shaped headphone wont fit in either of those cases. if any of you have tried it with those cases, does it go in all the way and cause no probs? otherwise, any recs?

I turned off 3G last night and my battery only went down 3% overnight, so if anyone has huge drain while asleep it's most likely that.

i've been looking at Apple Care; is it worth it for the iPhone?

EDIT: wrote this before I saw jyoung188's post; sorry about your phone

I don't have apple care but my insurance for £6.99 per month covers theft and damage which is good enough for me.

Aiii

So not worth it
Just got my iphone 5 and would like to know if there is a "correct" way of maximizing the battery life on it.. should I charge it before use?

No, that doesn't really matter anymore. Lithium-Ion doesn't have a "memory" of charges like old batteries used to have, you can charge whenever you want and it doesn't require a full charge once you plug it in.

Ashhong

I'm not sure if this is the right thread but I have a question about Google Voice. A few times now, I text a new number and they reply, and somehow it goes to my Google Voice account. I text normally, just from my iPhone, and yet it goes to my Google. It appears that the number I texted was a GV number, is that why? Is there a way to stop doing this?

edit: I don't even have GV installed on my iPhone..

DiegoXJ

Did this with my Iphone 4 two days after I got it a few years ago, took it to the Apple store to get the screen replaced. They actually hooked me up and swapped out my phone for a new one free of charge.

derExperte

Is constant rebooting a widespread or at least known problem with the 5? Cause my dad's new one, got it on Friday, does exactly that. From lockscreen to black to Apple logo to lockscreen and so on every 5 seconds. Holding the power button doesn't help. Is this thing already broken or are there any secret solutions?

LCfiner

Is constant rebooting a widespread or at least known problem with the 5? Cause my dad's new one, got it on Friday, does exactly that. From lockscreen to black to Apple logo to lockscreen and so on every 5 seconds. Holding the power button doesn't help. Is this thing already broken or are there any secret solutions?

never heard of this. seems like a no brainer that it's broken. take it an Apple store. you'll get a replacement on the spot (they almost always have replacement stock)

derExperte

never heard of this. seems like a no brainer that it's broken. take it an Apple store. you'll get a replacement on the spot (they almost always have replacement stock)

There are no Apple stores near me but I just remembered that there's a restore option in iTunes and the rebooting has now stopped. Let's wait and see if this fixed it permanently.

ZeroAKA

I picked up an iPhone 5 over Thanksgiving. I had the Poetic Atmosphere case, but it's a nightmare to put on and take off. Can anyone recommend me a good case that doesn't have that problem, preferably a slim one that covers the volume and power buttons? A soft case is fine too.

btkadams

my boyfriend's contract is up, and he has a 3gs with a broken screen.

he is paying $150 to repair it, rather than upgrade. i've told him it's a waste of money when he can even get a 4s for free on a contract.. he says he prefers the look of the 3gs. can someone please give me some sort of reasoning that could get through to him? am i crazy? i'm not fighting with him over it or anything. i've kept quiet aside from saying i didn't think it was a good idea lol. he likes to save money though, so i feel like this is a bad investment.

Me and some of my Jailbroken buddies experienced this several times, plug the phone for charge and keep the power button pressed till it completely shutdown and doesn't turn anymore.
Then you press once again just to turn it on and it will take a bit more than usual, after that all good.

But I don't think that it's something you should see with a non JB device, the other solution is letting it deplete all the battery.

Top Bottom