• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Aiii

So not worth it
Is it just me or the damn software is shit? Freezes loads of times, call drops, and many more glitches and hiccups. Far more than 4/4S ever had.

Had exactly 0 of those. No dropped calls, no freezes or any noticable glitches for that matter.

my boyfriend's contract is up, and he has a 3gs with a broken screen.

he is paying $150 to repair it, rather than upgrade. i've told him it's a waste of money when he can even get a 4s for free on a contract.. he says he prefers the look of the 3gs. can someone please give me some sort of reasoning that could get through to him? am i crazy? i'm not fighting with him over it or anything. i've kept quiet aside from saying i didn't think it was a good idea lol. he likes to save money though, so i feel like this is a bad investment.

Tell him that instead of repairing it, at the very least he can just get another proper working 3GS via craigslist or whatever. Paying 150 dollars for a 3GS is just batshit insane really.

he is paying $150 to repair it, rather than upgrade. i've told him it's a waste of money when he can even get a 4s for free on a contract.. he says he prefers the look of the 3gs. can someone please give me some sort of reasoning that could get through to him? am i crazy? i'm not fighting with him over it or anything. i've kept quiet aside from saying i didn't think it was a good idea lol. he likes to save money though, so i feel like this is a bad investment.
Tell him you are breaking up with him if he doesn't stop being an idiot.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

Have him hold or play around with a 4S just for like 10 minutes and I bet he'll change his tune.

btkadams

Tell him that instead of repairing it, at the very least he can just get another proper working 3GS via craigslist or whatever. Paying 150 dollars for a 3GS is just batshit insane really.

Tell him you are breaking up with him if he doesn't stop being an idiot.

Have him hold or play around with a 4S just for like 10 minutes and I bet he'll change his tune.

This. Having just come off a 3GS onto a 5, even the 4 would have been a nice step up.

i'm at work, and he's going to get it repaired at noon, sooo i don't think i will be able to show him a newer one in person. looks like i will just have to keep my mouth shut and pretend the repair never occurred....for my own sanity.

Ashhong

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a good condition working one off Craigs? Does he not experience any lag with his phone?

Talon

Tell him to go to NYTimes.com on a retina iPhone and then go back to his device.

njean777

i'm at work, and he's going to get it repaired at noon, sooo i don't think i will be able to show him a newer one in person. looks like i will just have to keep my mouth shut and pretend the repair never occurred....for my own sanity.

Wait, he will spend 150$ to repair his 3gs when for 50$ more he will have a phone that will last him another 2-3 years? I am at a loss of words... he is already willing to put out 150$ for an old phone, he may as well just drop 50 more and pick up a 16gb 5 or a 99$ 4s if he really is that cheap about it.

I haven't been keeping up with the thread lately, so apologies if this is redundant, but is there a known battery life issue with 6.0.1? I swear I burned through like 35-40 percent of my battery through the course of the Knicks game last night (maybe 2 hours or so?) just checking Twitter and Facebook.

whats the best email app for the iphone? coming from a blackberry the email on the iphone is slow as hell. any way to get push emails less than 15 minutes?

Talon

whats the best email app for the iphone? coming from a blackberry the email on the iphone is slow as hell. any way to get push emails less than 15 minutes?
...? Push isn't set on a schedule - that's the whole point of push. Fetch is the one that is set on a timeframe.

Are you using Pop instead of IMAP by chance?

Ask the Sparrow users, as I've have never tried it.. and but some users evangelize over it.

and push means to push emails as they come. You can try to use Sparrow to fetch them in less than 15 mins.

...? Push isn't set on a schedule - that's the whole point of push. Fetch is the one that is set on a timeframe.

Are you using Pop instead of IMAP by chance?

im sorry i meant fetch. i only have options to fetch every 15, 30, hourly and manually on settings.

i have my gmail linked to the mail app. so i guess thats IMAP? im not too sure.

Ask the Sparrow users, as I've have never tried it.. and but some users evangelize over it.

and push means to push emails as they come. You can try to use Sparrow to fetch them in less than 15 mins.

cool, ill check it out. got some terrible reviews on the app store saying the new update pretty much ruined the app. can any current sparrow users confirm?

The gmail app serves me well.

ill look at this as well.

Talon

im sorry i meant fetch. i only have options for fetch every 15, 30, hourly and manually on settings.

Go to your email settings and set it to Push. If you added Gmail, it should be IMAP and Push on default.

bonesquad

im sorry i meant fetch. i only have options to fetch every 15, 30, hourly and manually on settings.

cool, ill check it out. got some terrible reviews on the app store saying the new update pretty much ruined the app. can any current sparrow users confirm?

ill look at this as well.

I haven't had any issues with the latest version of Sparrow. It's a great mail app especially for use with Gmail.

BUT it doesn't support push or fetch (or Exchange). Without jail breaking Sparrow only checks when you open the app.

If you use Gmail you should really look into setting up push with the default mail app. Push is faster and because trying to fetch that often will really drain your battery.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I see that Iphone 5 has a way of activating Siri by lifting the phone to your ear. It works in a peculiar but well thought out way (switch screen on then rotate the phone up to your ear. Is there a way to make this kind of thing work when you just want to answer the call?

Oxn

2 quick questions

why is it when the phone is off it goes to LTE even when im on wifi. As soon as i turn on the phone itll go to wifi.

2nd, I heard the Verizon iphone is unlocked, is this true?

2 quick questions

why is it when the phone is off it goes to LTE even when im on wifi. As soon as i turn on the phone itll go to wifi.

2nd, I heard the Verizon iphone is unlocked, is this true?

no idea why but it bugs me, in testing you will save battery if you manually turn 3g/lte off on the settings when you sleep and that is without any email pushing or background downloading going on.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
no idea why but it bugs me, in testing you will save battery if you manually turn 3g/lte off on the settings when you sleep and that is without any email pushing or background downloading going on.
Does that mean that the phone uses your data plan when you keep it off and it push-downloads emails for example? Was that always like that, or is it new to iphone 5?

this is what i currently have it set to
RJFsM.png

i pretty much just want to get my mail as it arrives, not 5-10 minutes after. with this setting, my phone notifies me like 5-10 minutes later, sometimes even longer unless im in the mail app and refreshing it myself.

will the exchange tutorial posted above help me get what i want?

Ryaaan14

Banned
Happy I decided to get the 5. No more coverage issues and this thing feels even better to hold than the 4.

Will probably add my 4 to the buy/sell/trade thread along with the new earbuds I got with the 5 since I don't need them. Anyone else gone that route?

lctv

Neo Member
I bought my brother & mom customized Iphone 4 covers for Christmas & they are already
talking about 5's. So annoyed right now.

Talon

oh man i got it to work. i always forget that for 2 step authorization i have to generate a new password so it was giving me some problems at first. this is amazing. instant email!

thanks everyone :D

god i love this phone so much.
Our pleasure.

Yeah, it's silly that Gmail hasn't fixed their push setup, forcing everyone to use this workaround.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Odd question that I'm not sure fits anywhere else...

My mother hasn't plugged her phone in since February. She dropped it in the sink yesterday and tried the whole rice thing, but it didn't work. She plugged her phone into the computer finally to try and back things up, but the option to restore the phone from a previous backup came up.

Of course, she hit OK.

So the phone was restored back to that February date. Is there ANY way to un-restore her phone or to get all of the photos, contacts, apps, etc back? Or is she basically screwed?

Talon

Odd question that I'm not sure fits anywhere else...

My mother hasn't plugged her phone in since February. She dropped it in the sink yesterday and tried the whole rice thing, but it didn't work. She plugged her phone into the computer finally to try and back things up, but the option to restore the phone from a previous backup came up.

Of course, she hit OK.

So the phone was restored back to that February date. Is there ANY way to un-restore her phone or to get all of the photos, contacts, apps, etc back? Or is she basically screwed?
Did she have iCloud setup? You might as well check iCloud under settings and see if there's a backup from the last time she charged the phone.

Ashhong

UGHHHH I just can't find my perfect case god dammit. I've gotten a smoked TPU case as well as one of those super cheap plastic .3mm hard cases from ebay. Mehhh

next up is a Kayscase hard case in smoked. I wan't something to show off my black iPhone while still giving it some protection. I'm thinking it will be like a cheaper version of the Airjacket thing

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009QLN34E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

UGHHHH I just can't find my perfect case god dammit. I've gotten a smoked TPU case as well as one of those super cheap plastic .3mm hard cases from ebay. Mehhh

next up is a Kayscase hard case in smoked. I wan't something to show off my black iPhone while still giving it some protection. I'm thinking it will be like a cheaper version of the Airjacket thing

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009QLN34E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

i hate that tacky ass "kays case" logo in the back. i wanted to get this one as well as that luvvitt one but i couldnt stand those ugly ass logos.

im in the same boat as you. currently im rocking the white griffin reveal. i got it for free and though i didnt like it at first it slowly grew on me. i kinda dont have a choice since most of the cases i like look like they wont let my L-shaped headphone plug fit :(

Ashhong

i hate that tacky ass "kays case" logo in the back. i wanted to get this one as well as that luvvitt one but i couldnt stand those ugly ass logos.

im in the same boat as you. currently im rocking the white griffin reveal. i got it for free and though i didnt like it at first it slowly grew on me. i kinda dont have a choice since most of the cases i like look like they wont let my L-shaped headphone plug fit :(

The thing is, I can't see the kays logo on the pictures in the Amazon listing. At least not on the smoked one. I've seen how their logo looks on the matte black, and it's really not noticeable. I'm hoping the smoked is the same. Asked them for real pictures on their youtube before I buy. See the video below, no logo. I may just have to get the clear instead of smoked. I was worried about dust looking crappy inside thoug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPlxt0nCRLI

Right now I'm using these extremely cheaply made

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221141596364

It's not half bad for the price really, but the smoked color is not doing it for me.

I use this smoke black case, it's really sturdy but has a slight rubbery texture to it for grip, fits nice and tight and is really worth it for a cheap case. I bought mine for 99pence a good month before owning the iphone 5 so I had doubts but after using it for a few days i'm super happy with it.

Happy I decided to get the 5. No more coverage issues and this thing feels even better to hold than the 4.

Will probably add my 4 to the buy/sell/trade thread along with the new earbuds I got with the 5 since I don't need them. Anyone else gone that route?

the new earbuds are amazing for bass now, I dumped my older ones for them instantly once I tried them out.

Unless you wear full size headphones give them a try :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
the new earbuds are amazing for bass now, I dumped my older ones for them instantly once I tried them out.
The new earbuds are the best sounding non-in-ear earbuds I've heard. However, they still leak the sound out like crazy, so they're worthless for a work environment. I'm sticking with my in-ear ones which sound better still anyway.

I have a very strange problem (bug ?).

Till monday, my phone was always with SIM + wifi and everything worked great. Now, when I'm on SIM + Wifi, I have no internet connection. Same at work / house. Restrated the device various times.

WTF ?

The thing is, I can't see the kays logo on the pictures in the Amazon listing. At least not on the smoked one. I've seen how their logo looks on the matte black, and it's really not noticeable. I'm hoping the smoked is the same. Asked them for real pictures on their youtube before I buy. See the video below, no logo. I may just have to get the clear instead of smoked. I was worried about dust looking crappy inside thoug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPlxt0nCRLI

Right now I'm using these extremely cheaply made

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221141596364

It's not half bad for the price really, but the smoked color is not doing it for me.

the logo is very obvious on the black one on the video and even though its hard to see, im sure itll be much more visible on the clear case once you have it in your hand. nonetheless, ill wait for you to take the plunge and report back :p

I use this smoke black case, it's really sturdy but has a slight rubbery texture to it for grip, fits nice and tight and is really worth it for a cheap case. I bought mine for 99pence a good month before owning the iphone 5 so I had doubts but after using it for a few days i'm super happy with it.

awww, not available on amazon US :(

Ryaaan14

Banned
So just got home with my phone and was shocked to find that iCloud had backed up EVERYTHING from my iPhone 4 and placed it onto my 5, down to my SMS messages. That was the biggest kick in the ass upgrading from the 3G.

I fully expected to lose a ton of stuff even with an iCloud backup, but NEWP.

This feature may have just sold me on iPhones for life.

mrkgoo

So just got home with my phone and was shocked to find that iCloud had backed up EVERYTHING from my iPhone 4 and placed it onto my 5, down to my SMS messages. That was the biggest kick in the ass upgrading from the 3G.

I fully expected to lose a ton of stuff even with an iCloud backup, but NEWP.

This feature may have just sold me on iPhones for life.

I don't see why you'd expect to lose stuff in a backup.

That said, my parents iCLoud backup for their iPad was not so seamless. All their albums and stuff in photos is all messed up. I'm going to have to delete everything and just start fresh fro the photo stuff.

mrkgoo

I have a very strange problem (bug ?).

Till monday, my phone was always with SIM + wifi and everything worked great. Now, when I'm on SIM + Wifi, I have no internet connection. Same at work / house. Restrated the device various times.

WTF ?

You say you have a strange bug, but you haven't actually given much detail as to what is happening apart from "it doesn't work".

Is there a wifi signal connection? Have you tried turning off wifi and seeing if the 3G connection works?

When you say "internet doesn't work", is it not connecting? Is safari simply not loading?

Top Bottom