• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Vyer

So just got home with my phone and was shocked to find that iCloud had backed up EVERYTHING from my iPhone 4 and placed it onto my 5, down to my SMS messages. That was the biggest kick in the ass upgrading from the 3G.

I fully expected to lose a ton of stuff even with an iCloud backup, but NEWP.

This feature may have just sold me on iPhones for life.

Yeah, iCloud backup/restore has been a great improvement.

dyls

So just got home with my phone and was shocked to find that iCloud had backed up EVERYTHING from my iPhone 4 and placed it onto my 5, down to my SMS messages. That was the biggest kick in the ass upgrading from the 3G.

I fully expected to lose a ton of stuff even with an iCloud backup, but NEWP.

This feature may have just sold me on iPhones for life.

I love that it remembers every one of your settings. My 5 even remembered which Safari tabs I had open on my 4.

Ashhong

I use this smoke black case, it's really sturdy but has a slight rubbery texture to it for grip, fits nice and tight and is really worth it for a cheap case. I bought mine for 99pence a good month before owning the iphone 5 so I had doubts but after using it for a few days i'm super happy with it.

Damn, that looks pretty good. Do you use it on a black? Mind taking a pic? The reviews say that the pictures on the site are not the same as the product you receive. But the smoked actually looks black from what i can see, and not a brown smoke like every case I've seen so far...

edit: AH 25$ USD...rather get the AirJacket. Do you know the brand name of the case? Maybe I can find it on ebay. Is it Terrapin?

beast786

I love that it remembers every one of your settings. My 5 even remembered which Safari tabs I had open on my 4.

Yep, cloud is awesome. Same cloud safari function is between my iPad and iPhone 5. At home browser with iPad and continue on the road with 5

ChanHuk

Banned
MMS seems to be broken for me.

Cannot send or received MMS. Did a network reset, setting reset, restored phone as new phone and nothing. Its probably an AT&T issue.

Aiii

So not worth it
I have issues with Chrome on iOS that I cannot describe. I just don't like using it for some reason. Safari was great for me. Are there any advantages to Chrome?

Many, for one you can force desktop sites, easy search, search through page, sync bookmarks, safe browse and sync open tabs, not to mention easy switching from tab to tab via swipe.

If none of that interests you than, no, it's just another shell around the Safari kit.

Damn, that looks pretty good. Do you use it on a black? Mind taking a pic? The reviews say that the pictures on the site are not the same as the product you receive. But the smoked actually looks black from what i can see, and not a brown smoke like every case I've seen so far...

edit: AH 25$ USD...rather get the AirJacket. Do you know the brand name of the case? Maybe I can find it on ebay. Is it Terrapin?

Terrapin yeah, no idea how easy it is to order outside of europe.

I use it on a black 5 and unless in direct sunlight it's quite hard to see through but it really matches the phone rather well, I have an ipad photo which is not the best quality:

You could probably find it on ebay for cheap, I just like how it's close to being rather solid plastic but with a rubber texture, it's not some jelly case which falls off after a week (as I found out with my old ipod touch a while ago)

oPwqL.png

Tabris

Any third party docking accessory out yet or announced? I just see the poorly reviewed ones on amazon so far by no name companies.

krpiper

I have issues with Chrome on iOS that I cannot describe. I just don't like using it for some reason. Safari was great for me. Are there any advantages to Chrome?

I like it as I use Chrome on my laptop/ipad so its nice to have bookmarks and tabs sync

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I don't understand the purpose of the dock that just sets your phone upright. Just plug it into a regular charger.

Is it just for aesthetics?

Since Apple just HAD to go and create a new input with lightning, I'm looking for another stereo set dock that will play my tunes but I imagine a reasonably priced one is a ways down the pipeline.

I don't understand the purpose of the dock that just sets your phone upright. Just plug it into a regular charger.

3DS users understand the appeal of just being able to set your device down on something to charge without having to fumble around. It's not ideal here (there's no contact plate like on the 3DS) but it's still better, particularly for the bedroom or other places where you don't want to fumble around with cables.

Certainly aesthetic has some appeal, and it's really to each user whether it's worth the money, but I know from having that Sony iPhone/clock dock for years that the convenience has a value

Ashhong

Many, for one you can force desktop sites, easy search, search through page, sync bookmarks, safe browse and sync open tabs, not to mention easy switching from tab to tab via swipe.

If none of that interests you than, no, it's just another shell around the Safari kit.

Guess I'll give it a try again. Unfortunately the syncing of tabs doesn't really work for me because I Have about 20 tabs open at any given time. Don't want all of that open on my phone too. In app safe browsing sounds great though :D

Terrapin yeah, no idea how easy it is to order outside of europe.

I use it on a black 5 and unless in direct sunlight it's quite hard to see through but it really matches the phone rather well, I have an ipad photo which is not the best quality:

You could probably find it on ebay for cheap, I just like how it's close to being rather solid plastic but with a rubber texture, it's not some jelly case which falls off after a week (as I found out with my old ipod touch a while ago)

http://i.imgur.com/oPwqL.png

Cool thanks. It looks like a TPU shell from pics, and yea, they really need to update the amazon listing picture lol

bonesquad

Guess I'll give it a try again. Unfortunately the syncing of tabs doesn't really work for me because I Have about 20 tabs open at any given time. Don't want all of that open on my phone too. In app safe browsing sounds great though :D

That's not how tab syncing works:) If you have 20 tabs open on your computer, when you open Chrome on iOS it will give you a list and you pick which ones to open there. It doesn't automatically open them all. Even better is that it works the other way too. If I find something on my phone I'll leave it open there, and then later when I'm back on my laptop I can look at my list of tabs open on other devices to quickly open it again. Works with bookmarks too.

LevelNth

Banned
So I bought my iphone 5 on Sept 22 from Rogers up here in Canada, and I noticed there's a small grey-ish smudge on the camera lens I guess, cause it shows on the screen and in pics taken. Very subtle but against whites and light colors it's very noticeable.

What do I do? I assumed I should make an appointment at an Apple Store? Can they give me a replacement or fix it? It's only been like 65 days.

I have no extra warranties, just the reg stuff. Phone is not damaged in any way outside of a couple of minor scratches on the sides where the paint has come off.

jcm

Since Apple just HAD to go and create a new input with lightning, I'm looking for another stereo set dock that will play my tunes but I imagine a reasonably priced one is a ways down the pipeline.

For me, it's that the loose cable always falls off the nightstand behind the bed. It sucks. I'd much rather have a dock. Not $90 much though. I'll wait for something cheaper.

So I bought my iphone 5 on Sept 22 from Rogers up here in Canada, and I noticed there's a small grey-ish smudge on the camera lens I guess, cause it shows on the screen and in pics taken. Very subtle but against whites and light colors it's very noticeable.

What do I do? I assumed I should make an appointment at an Apple Store? Can they give me a replacement or fix it? It's only been like 65 days.

I have no extra warranties, just the reg stuff. Phone is not damaged in any way outside of a couple of minor scratches on the sides where the paint has come off.

It should still be covered. Make an appointment at the Apple store and they'll most likely swap your phone out.

Ashhong

That's not how tab syncing works:) If you have 20 tabs open on your computer, when you open Chrome on iOS it will give you a list and you pick which ones to open there. It doesn't automatically open them all. Even better is that it works the other way too. If I find something on my phone I'll leave it open there, and then later when I'm back on my laptop I can look at my list of tabs open on other devices to quickly open it again. Works with bookmarks too.

:O That's nice, gonna try that out. What if I have 2 computers with Chrome? Do I see a list of tabs from both comps??

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
My biggest gripe with iOS Chrome is that apple doesnt allow us to set it as the default to open links and such. It's a pain to copy/paste links all the time

So I've had my iPhone for almost 2 weeks now... am I seriously stupid for discovering iTunes remote 30 minutes ago?

This shiz is seriously awesome.

123rl

So I've had my iPhone for almost 2 weeks now... am I seriously stupid for discovering iTunes remote 30 minutes ago?

This shiz is seriously awesome.

Apple stuff works best when it's paired with other Apple products. Syncing iCloud between osx and iOS and AirPlay to Apple TV from every device is so good. First time i saw it in action was a real eye opener. iTunes Match is fantastic too. I absolutely love it...when it works

Laughlin

So if I want an iPhone 5, where's the best place to trade in my old iPhone 3GS so I can get the most credit? Screen is cracked also which probably doesn't help.

VoxPop

Seems a bit big. I used the dock that originally came with my iPhone 1st gen up until I got my 5 due to the lightning connector. I think it's by far the best and classiest looking one. Even has an audio line out on the back. Only problem is it won't work if your phone has a case on it. I always go naked on my phones though. Except the GNex which I had to hide like a cyclops kid in my basement.

The $90 dock requires an additional expensive cable? That's crazy.

I have a feeling it has to do with Apples crazy/strict control over lightning cables at the moment. The dock is definitely expensive but it has been pretty great for me, I'm just wondering if the iPhone 5 will slide in and out of it as smoothly as my 4s did.

dwebo

for all the talk of the 5 having bad standby battery drain, I was surprised when mine only dropped ~5% from 10pm to 7am, or about par with my 4 with the same settings

came out of the box with a small chip in the aluminum back at the top edge. I wonder if they managed to get shipping times down in part by loosening back up the QA tolerances. display is perfect, though, so I'm happy

Tobor

I have a feeling it has to do with Apples crazy/strict control over lightning cables at the moment. The dock is definitely expensive but it has been pretty great for me, I'm just wondering if the iPhone 5 will slide in and out of it as smoothly as my 4s did.

They still should have lowered the price slightly since you have to supply your own cable.

LCfiner

I can't imagine that it will. Elevation labs made their own dock connector that had a looser fit than the standard one. But it'll be using the stock iphone 5 cable which really has a snug fit in the port.

Even with the extra weight of the aluminum base, I think the dock will need to be held down when pulling out the iphone. Or maybe you'll have to put down a pinkie to push the dock down while pulling up the phone with the same hand.

My adapter is in the mail and I'll be able to see how it goes soon enough. probably middle next week.

LiK

I can't imagine that it will. Elevation labs made their own dock connector that had a looser fit than the standard one. But it'll be using the stock iphone 5 cable which really has a snug fit in the port.

Even with the extra weight of the aluminum base, I think the dock will need to be held down when pulling out the iphone. Or maybe you'll have to put down a pinkie to push the dock down while pulling up the phone with the same hand.

My adapter is in the mail and I'll be able to see how it goes soon enough. probably middle next week.

Impressions will be appreciated

Top Bottom