• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

I got a question regarding the photo album on IOS6 and iphone 5.

If I enter the photo album I can see my Camera roll album. if I go inside it I can scroll through all the photos and videos I have taken.

If I click home button and start the camera and press the PHOTO ALBUM button while inside the camera app, the album has 3 new buttons at the top center of the screen that says All, PHOTOS, VIDEOS.

why are these buttons ONLY there if I enter the photo album via the Camera app?

I can't imagine that it will. Elevation labs made their own dock connector that had a looser fit than the standard one. But it'll be using the stock iphone 5 cable which really has a snug fit in the port.

Even with the extra weight of the aluminum base, I think the dock will need to be held down when pulling out the iphone. Or maybe you'll have to put down a pinkie to push the dock down while pulling up the phone with the same hand.

My adapter is in the mail and I'll be able to see how it goes soon enough. probably middle next week.

Yeah, I assumed as much but hopefully it won't be too bad. I just wish my adapter would arrive sooner, I have this fancy dock sitting on my desk at work and it's useless.

Ashhong

I got a question regarding the photo album on IOS6 and iphone 5.

If I enter the photo album I can see my Camera roll album. if I go inside it I can scroll through all the photos and videos I have taken.

If I click home button and start the camera and press the PHOTO ALBUM button while inside the camera app, the album has 3 new buttons at the top center of the screen that says All, PHOTOS, VIDEOS.

why are these buttons ONLY there if I enter the photo album via the Camera app?

It's just how Apple designed it. The Photo Album you access via the Photos app is different than the one you access through the Camera app

It's just how Apple designed it. The Photo Album you access via the Photos app is different than the one you access through the Camera app

I can see that yes, but why is it different? why couldnt they had the same album features? the Camera app photo album is better than the photo album you can access from the home screen.

Its almost like its a misstake.

mrkgoo

I can see that yes, but why is it different? why couldnt they had the same album features? the Camera app photo album is better than the photo album you can access from the home screen.

Its almost like its a misstake.

Why is it 'better'?

The Photos app contains all your photos, synced photos, imported from external device photos, photostreams, and other albums you have arranged.

The camera app is merely a link to your camera roll, since it's where the camera media goes.

raven777

My power support air jacket has arrived. I will post picture and impression after using it for few days.

Since I won't be using the phone without the case for a while, I will post the naked phone.

DSC05704.jpg

DSC05727.jpg

DSC05732.jpg

I really love the design of the back more than what I have seen on pictures.

jcm

Why is it 'better'?

The Photos app contains all your photos, synced photos, imported from external device photos, photostreams, and other albums you have arranged.

The camera app is merely a link to your camera roll, since it's where the camera media goes.

It's better because it has the ability to separate photo from video, which is a feature at least two people (robertsan21 et moi) want. On the other hand, it's probably a blessing for the person who avoided being bored by a cat video I took because I couldn't find it quickly.

mrkgoo

It's better because it has the ability to separate photo from video, which is a feature at least two people (robertsan21 et moi) want. On the other hand, it's probably a blessing for the person who avoided being bored by a cat video I took because I couldn't find it quickly.
Yeah, I guess that could be something they could add in while viewing the camera roll in Photos, but I don't really see it being a reason to say that the app is just 'better'. Better for that function (of finding your media), perhaps.
The apps kind of gave different purposes to say one is actually better. But I do get that some people probably don't use the apps for the apps differently like that, thus don't see or need the distinction of the apps.

Yeah, I guess that could be something they could add in while viewing the camera roll in Photos, but I don't really see it being a reason to say that the app is just 'better'. Better for that function (of finding your media), perhaps.
The apps kind of gave different purposes to say one is actually better. But I do get that some people probably don't use the apps for the apps differently like that, thus don't see or need the distinction of the apps.

It is better as I have tons of photos and videos. I would like to be able to quicly find the videos without having to scroll through all those photos.

thats why I find the Camera app photo album better than the normal photo album from home screen. and I do find it very strange that they have 2 different ones on the same phone...

bonesquad

It is better as I have tons of photos and videos. I would like to be able to quicly find the videos without having to scroll through all those photos.

thats why I find the Camera app photo album better than the normal photo album from home screen. and I do find it very strange that they have 2 different ones on the same phone...

Those apps were probably made by different teams. And as in any big company/business communication between teams is a very difficult feat to achive. That's not an excuse, I'm just pointing out I can easily see how this happened.

But thank you for pointing this out. I didn't notice this before and being able to quickly find videos is useful.

So...job circumstances just changed and I accidentally fell into a rogers store and bought an iPhone 5. I think raven777's photos didn't help but that's between me and my Apple Anonymous sponsor.

1. Yay! I have returned from two years ago and it's nice to have a fast iPhone again. The 4 was starting to feel pretty old.

2. "The Transit App" is actually remarkably good. For one day's use I am somewhat impressed, at least now that maps.app is useless.

3. Goddamn its thin and light. iPad 2 all over again

4. This isn't news to anyone but really, no bumper cases or docks? smh

5. The downside of buying a device upgrade is that I am once again reminded of the terribleness that is my cellular provider. The only upside is that for some reason they recently decided to let people with 3G plans use them with LTE (during launch you were required to switch to a new data plan that was LTE specific)

ive used my phone often for texting, email & web browsing these past 2 days without charge. its currently at 6% battery with about 9-10 hours of usage and 2 days of standby.

holy shit. i know people were impressed with the battery before but its something when you experience it yourself. so crazy. im sure itd last until tomorrow if i didnt watch youtube videos for like an hour or two.

that also reminds me, god damn YT videos eat up data. gotta ease up on the videos since i only have 2GB data. i used like less than 150mb in a week with emails, texts, IMs and browsing but BAM, went up a few hundred mb with just YT.

mrkgoo

I don't think you're getting me here, but I do see how it is better for finding your stuff.

I don't think the apps are necessarily designed by different teams, because they are different apps for different purposes. One is to see the media you created with the camera, the other is the all purpose photo browsing app.

While yes, the Camera App is better FOR finding the videos you captured, or better FOR you, since that's the feature you need, I don't think it's flat out the 'better app'. BUt I guess that's arguing symantics. (Otherwise I'd argue that the Photos App is 'better', because it actually shows photos you synced back across, organisable by albums, photostream, faces and places).

Photos app is for viewing albums. Camera app isn't for viewing as such, but rather a temporary dumping ground, as I assume it's expected to be emptied like a digital camera when you import. I'll admit that it's probably untrue that it's actually used like that though.

Anything you want back and viewable is synced back to the Photos App. While it'd be nice to be able to quick see videos vs photos in the Photos App, it is actually strictly in the order that the album was synced via, be it title, date, manual, type or whatever.

I think where Apple has slightly failed in the home screen setup is still trying to separate the whole thing from the "computer Desktop" analogy. Photos isn't a 'folder' nor is Videos. People still treat the homescreen like a computer desktop - I think it will take a VERY long time to shake this off, as people still try to operate with the concept of files and folders, despite Apple trying to shunt people away from it for the last half decade, even on computers.

I agree that your captured videos should probably not even appear in the photos app, but rather in a camera roll in the videos app. It's always been a bit helter skelter though. Before, video was part of the music playing app! (and called iPod).

Soodanim

Hello gentle(wo)men. I've had a call from a friend asking me for help with her Safari homepage, which (long story short) is now stuck on one of those deliberately annoying pages that have a myriad of prompts like "Hi" "How are you" (you know the sort).

As someone who's never done more than look at someone's app list, I figured I'd come to you people for help. As far as I'm aware, iPhones aren't susceptible to viruses, so is she just unable to find the correct menu option to change the homepage to something else or could it actually be something more sinister? At the mention of jailbreak her mind melted, so she's as close to out of the box as you will probably get.

Iacobellis

Hello gentle(wo)men. I've had a call from a friend asking me for help with her Safari homepage, which (long story short) is now stuck on one of those deliberately annoying pages that have a myriad of prompts like "Hi" "How are you" (you know the sort).

As someone who's never done more than look at someone's app list, I figured I'd come to you people for help. As far as I'm aware, iPhones aren't susceptible to viruses, so is she just unable to find the correct menu option to change the homepage to something else or could it actually be something more sinister? At the mention of jailbreak her mind melted, so she's as close to out of the box as you will probably get.

First, tell her to double-tap the home button to bring up the multitasking tray. Then, hold down an icon like you would move/delete them on the home screen, and tap the "-" on the Safari one. If that doesn't solve the issue, have her go to Settings, then Safari. Tap the "Clear History" and "Clear Cookies and Data" buttons.

This should revert Safari back to normal. She basically had a window with these popups left open, as there is no actual homepage support for Safari on iOS.

Dez

First, tell her to double-tap the home button to bring up the multitasking tray. Then, hold down an icon like you would move/delete them on the home screen, and tap the "-" on the Safari one. If that doesn't solve the issue, have her go to Settings, then Safari. Tap the "Clear History" and "Clear Cookies and Data" buttons.

This should revert Safari back to normal. She basically had a window with these popups left open, as there is no actual homepage support for Safari on iOS.
Another way to do it is to enable private browsing mode in settings -> safari. This will bring up a prompt to close all open tabs. Then switch back.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Whoops, after about a week of owning it, the phone just destroyed my data plan by downloading something huge on its own two days ago. I checked data usage, and it jumped from 300MB to 1.7GB within one day. I even called Rogers representative and they told me it all happened within just one hour, and during the time when I'm positive I was at home and on a WiFi network. Now I have to pay $30 for overage and I've switched the data off completely until my billing cycle ends.

I think this same thing happened with my Iphone 4 with IOS6 beta about half a year ago. Same unexplained behavior, only it took more time during one day to download about as much because it was on 3G.

Both times this happened I know I hardly even used the phone, so it seems really unexplainable, unpreventable, and a potential money drain if it keeps happening. I have no idea what to do :( I don't backup to icloud, in fact almost all the automatic cellphone data usage features are switched off. The only one that was On was cellular Documents & Data sync within icloud, but that never seemed to cause any notable data use, and was on by default, and buried in a menu three levels deep. I've disabled it now, but I really doubt that was the culprit anyway, because if it was I'd get this problem all the time.

Dazzla

Do you have the Apple Podcasts app? There's a bug where it was clocking up massive data usage, made me go over 1GB within about a week after years of not going over. Switched to Downcast and my usage dropped down.

I couldn't for the life of me figure it out. It wasn't properly recognising downloaded podcasts and then streaming. It also has a bug where it will download sections of a podcast multiple times, meaning you eventually stream more than the actual size of the podcast.

I only hit this issue when moving to the iPhone 5 and iOS 6. Hate the goddamn Podcasts app.

Something along these lines:

http://pocketnow.com/2012/11/15/apples-ios-data-usage-streaming

Kraftwerk

Anybody have any experience with wooden cases?

I saw a dude with this exact case last night at a bar and it looked pretty awesome.

But it's made of plastic according the eBay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oak-Wood-Ha...733987?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item2a25daf8e3

I'm really tempted to pick it up since it's $7 and is plastic so it might be safer that way, but still does anybody know any good wooden cases?

If you want quality wooden cases go here;

http://www.grovemade.com/

https://www.miniot.com/webshop/

You will pay a hefty price for these, but they are amazing. My friend has one and it is beautiful.

That looks atrocious. Oh my god

Yep. Very terrible

LOL. It definitely looked a lot better in person so maybe it's the picture... or the alcohol. Either way, for $7 bucks I wouldn't say it's that bad.

If you want quality wooden cases go here;

http://www.grovemade.com/

https://www.miniot.com/webshop/

You will pay a hefty price for these, but they are amazing. My friend has one and it is beautiful.

That case from Miniot looks so beautiful, but that price... it's too tough for a college student lol. The one from Grovemade is a little easier, so I'm gonna do some research on that.

Also, what about this case from Boxwave?

It looks really nice in the Amazon pics, and some of the reviews of their other bamboo cases seem promising, so does anybody have any experience on the Boxwave bamboo cases?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Do you have the Apple Podcasts app? There's a bug where it was clocking up massive data usage, made me go over 1GB within about a week after years of not going over. Switched to Downcast and my usage dropped down.

I couldn't for the life of me figure it out. It wasn't properly recognising downloaded podcasts and then streaming. It also has a bug where it will download sections of a podcast multiple times, meaning you eventually stream more than the actual size of the podcast.

I only hit this issue when moving to the iPhone 5 and iOS 6. Hate the goddamn Podcasts app.

Something along these lines:

http://pocketnow.com/2012/11/15/apples-ios-data-usage-streaming
No, I don't have that app, never had it. I didn't stream any audio on that day, nor have I watched any videos. I think I used the Youtube app a bit first day I got the phone, and haven't since. I also had ios 6.0.1 installed since the day 1 I had the phone.

matt360

Battery life is still atrocious. I guess that's just something I have to get over. I lose 10% on standby overnight while my 2 year old iphone 4 loses only 1%. Have almost everything turned off too. I'm getting used to the disappointment and accepted that I'll just have to take a charger with me wherever I go.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
That case from Miniot looks so beautiful, but that price... it's too tough for a college student lol. The one from Grovemade is a little easier, so I'm gonna do some research on that.

Just got my Grove case on Friday. Fantastic build quality and the new assembly they are using is as slim as a wood case will get.

Pro- looks and feels awesome. Absolutely precise fit.

Con- "bulky when compared to TPU or polycarbonate case. Long wait time on new orders. I am concerned it is scratching the shiny bevel with super tight fit, but have not removed it to see.

I would post a pic but my phone is in it :p
stealth edit: I think they look better in person than on the grove site.

Husker86

Battery life is still atrocious. I guess that's just something I have to get over. I lose 10% on standby overnight while my 2 year old iphone 4 loses only 1%. Have almost everything turned off too. I'm getting used to the disappointment and accepted that I'll just have to take a charger with me wherever I go.
It has been a while since I had the 4 but I'm experiencing similar battery life as far as I remember. I lose 0-2% of battery life overnight.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It has been a while since I had the 4 but I'm experiencing similar battery life as far as I remember. I lose 0-2% of battery life overnight.
Yeah, I see no difference between the 4 and the new one. I keep the brightness at max all the time on both, and it gets me through a day on a single charge easily. It could go for about day and a half actually, but I charge them every night.

Blackhead

Redarse
Holy crap, this guys has *identical* issue as mine, down to the amount of data: 1.4GB. The post might as well be mine, but for him it happened two months ago. He's on Rogers as well. There's got to be something going on there. http://communityforums.rogers.com/t...board-id/Apple_Devices/thread-id/13761/page/1

Some Canadians complaining of iOS 6 WiFi bug, causing cellular data overages (October 3)
MobileSyrup said:
Rogers released a statement yesterday denying the problem:

We have been able to confirm that the data bleed issues reported in the US do not apply to our OS version and customers should not be experiencing the same issues here. However, we do take these reports very seriously. Should anyone be experiencing this issue, we encourage them to reach out to us (by phone or via @RogersHelps on Twitter) so we can help troubleshoot.​
Apple did release an update to fix the cellular data bug on a USA network but so have been silent (as always) about issues on other networks.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Some Canadians complaining of iOS 6 WiFi bug, causing cellular data overages (October 3)

Apple did release an update to fix the cellular data bug on a USA network but so have been silent (as always) about issues on other networks.
Few days ago, Rogers has released a Carrier Update with the exact same version number as the Verzion carrier update that was supposed to resolve that problem. It's a version 13.1 update. I have installed the update few days age when it came out, but I can't remember if I restarted the phone, which apparently must be done for the update to complete. Well, I restarted it today, and it's showing the 13.1 carrier version when I check now, but that's too late to know if it was fully updated two days ago when this all happened.

I've also now installed a DataMan app that lets you see how much data has been used in realtime, and shows usage for each day, so I'll be checking that as a hawk once the new billing cycle starts. There's also a $10 version of this app that can send you system notifications when you reach certain data usage percentages, tempted to buy it despite the price...

jcm

Anybody have any experience with wooden cases?

I saw a dude with this exact case last night at a bar and it looked pretty awesome.

But it's made of plastic according the eBay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oak-Wood-Ha...733987?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item2a25daf8e3

I'm really tempted to pick it up since it's $7 and is plastic so it might be safer that way, but still does anybody know any good wooden cases?

My daughter got a nice one on Etsy. I think it might be this one.. It's really pretty.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's such a typical Canadian mobile prvider thing to deny something like that. Oh yes, I'll help you troubleshoot it, if anyone I called today even asked any technical details about it, or acknowledged that there is a problem in the first place. And of course, despite my helping you troubleshoot it, I'll still have to pay the overage that I'm not even responsible for.

lupinko

This carrier bug, does it affect the unlocked iPhone 5?

I haven't had any weird issues, and I'm in Canada (and a lolRogers customer, sadly but no renewal!).

Just got my Grove case on Friday. Fantastic build quality and the new assembly they are using is as slim as a wood case will get.

Thanks for the review! I like it, but I don't think I can wait 2 months for it lol.

My daughter got a nice one on Etsy. I think it might be this one.. It's really pretty.

This one seems more reasonable. I also like the fact that the bottom of the phone is open... now to decide on walnut and padauk haha.

My power support air jacket has arrived. I will post picture and impression after using it for few days.

Since I won't be using the phone without the case for a while, I will post the naked phone.

DSC05704.jpg

DSC05727.jpg

DSC05732.jpg

I really love the design of the back more than what I have seen on pictures.

Regardless of whether you are male or female, nice fingernails.

Top Bottom