• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

raven777

raven, can you fit an L-shaped headphone jack in comfortably with that case on?

I have 2 earphones with L-shape: xba-3 and triple-fi with custom ES cable (which is huge)

xba-3 fits with no problem, triple-fi sort of fits not 100%.

edit: took quick shot to show how the headphone jack looks like

DSC05773.jpg

with xba-3:
DSC05774.jpg

I better clean those dusts.

thanks for the photos raven. looks like im gonna have to get new earphones for this case. maybe ill just use an otterbox when i go to the gym lol.

definitely wont fit my m50s or my workout earphones.

Woah, good thing I saw these pics before I bought a case. My fascination for the wooden case pretty much faded away, and I was definitely considering the Power Support case, but I don't think I will after this... both my Sony MDR-V6 and the V-Moda Remix earphones I have won't fit since they have awkward plugs.

I'm just gonna get these instead since they have the bottom open and they're also wooden cases, I just can't decide on either the brown or the orange color/wood.

What do y'all would pick? Lol.

Ashhong

Common problem with these cases. Are you using your iPhone to drive your ATH-M50's alone? Why not buy a line out cable and a pocket amp?

Iphone alone is more than enough to drive M50s. They are crazy loud if you turn the volume all the way up.

I do have an E11 I use to drive my headphones but I always forget to charge it and sometimes would rather just use my phone without having to carry the E11.

The iPhone is enough to drive it in regards to volume, but the bass is lacking (I'm a serious basshead).

MedIC86

Anyone not using their earpods, mind selling me a pair?

I put mine in the washer machine :(

You mean the official ones you get with the iphone5? mine is coming in next week, if my gf dont want the buds you can have them from free, but you will have to pay shipping (im in Europe) so let me know if you want.

Ashhong

Welp I think I finally found my case for my black iPhone 5. Minor negatives but overall I really like it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009GMMPNS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

51gH2PId%2BCL.jpg

Pros: Good solid protection
Lip around the screen
translucent so I can see the 2 tone back as well as the sides (only in the right light)
easy access to all buttons

Cons:
The back is a little thicker than I would have liked
the "feet" that protect the back when put down are odd at first, but they've grown on me.
The lip covering the bottom front part of the phone is a bit loose. Going to contact Amazon to send me another one.

Overall though I really like it. It's translucent/smoked so that it shows off the beauty of the phone without looking out of place like a clear case would. Not TPU and feels very solid. Highly recommend it.

edit: the Poetic Atmosphere and the Minisuit version you'll find on Amazon are exactly the same. Poetic has a logo on the back while Minisuit is on the side near the SIM tray. It's a gray logo and actually looks kind of cool. I don't mind it at all. Will take pictures if anybody wants to see more.

Jonogunn

Google finally got around to updating YouTube (app) to support the iPhone 5. Finally.

Still no top comments :(

Not even the android version has them.

What's with google not wanting to include this feature? Same with replying to a comment. Both of these are on the mobile site.

solarus

Not even the android version has them.

What's with google not wanting to include this feature? Same with replying to a comment. Both of these are on the mobile site.

The biggest problem is a lack of video resolution selection, why the hell is that not there.

Question. Wouldn't buying an unlocked iphone 5, and getting pre paid minutes, be cheaper than getting a 2 year contract from a carrier and spending thousands in the long run? Isn't that a better option?

LCfiner

Question. Wouldn't buying an unlocked iphone 5, and getting pre paid minutes, be cheaper than getting a 2 year contract from a carrier and spending thousands in the long run? Isn't that a better option?

It might be. does the pre-paid plan have any data? that's a huge part of owning a smartphone.

also, most people find it easier to pay 60 to 90 bucks a month for their data plan, and 200 for the phone, than spending 700 up front for the phone and then $20 or so each month for minutes (and no data at this price).

lupinko

It's also convenient when traveling/moving.

That's why I bought my iPhone 5 unlocked, since I'm planning on moving outside of North America next year.

I can't use the LTE tho due to different bands.

th3dude

here are some pictures of my airjacket smoke

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o482/xenosaga777/DSC05770.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o482/xenosaga777/DSC05768.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o482/xenosaga777/DSC05771.jpg[IMG]

Loving it so far except its hard to press the power button at the top.[/QUOTE]

Linkage please!

The problem has never been prepaid minutes, but prepaid data.

1. Not everywhere offers LTE prepaid
2. Regardless of which unlocked model you buy you are buying into different LTE spectrum (ie: your Verizon phone could be handy in Europe, while Canada and parts of Asia use the AT&T bands, etc)
3. Often (at least north of the border) the prepaid data plans are either not cheap or have horrible data caps

I suppose if you just wanted a voice phone it's better but if you want it to be an actual data+text+voice phone it's not a great solution for most users. If you can rely on wifi everywhere then yeah, it's a pretty good idea. If you don't give a crap about LTE, well...not sure why you're buying an iPhone but that makes it even easier to get by.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The biggest problem is a lack of video resolution selection, why the hell is that not there.
The bigger biggest problem is that some videos are simply not accessible through the app. I was looking for some music video the other day, and it simply wasn't there, and no amount of searching would bring it up. Same on Vivo app. Yet I was able to find it instantly on the website.

That's a real shame too. Top comments are Youtube's best 'feature'.

Yeah i would definitely want data, text, and LTE for when im away from home. But im somewhat home alot so wifi would probably be used more.

So a plan from a carrier would better for this?

Say i wanted all the above but pre paid, how much would that cost me a month compared to a plan? I know it depends how much i pay up front but on average?

Just picked up the Lightning-30pin adapter (cableless). It's...a lot smaller than I thought. The photo is really deceptive because it just doesn't make it clear that:

a. It's thinner than the ipad 5
b. The plug is very short; not sure it will work with many cases
c. It's maybe as tall as your index finger (excluding the lightning plug)

It seems to work alright for my Sony alarm clock - the construction is strong enough to keep your phone upright - but I might add something else into the 30pin basin just to keep it completely steady.

Yeah i would definitely want data, text, and LTE for when im away from home. But im somewhat home alot so wifi would probably be used more.

So a plan from a carrier would better for this?

Say i wanted all the above but pre paid, how much would that cost me a month compared to a plan? I know it depends how much i pay up front but on average?

There's really too many variables. Carriers love to charge differently based on contract length, amount of minutes, amount of data, etc etc etc etc. They make it complex on purpose.

What you need to figure out is what carriers you're willing to deal with (ie: if you have a Verizon phone then presumably just Verizon and their affiliates) and then the minimum plan you could accept. It gets complicated fast.

LevelNth

Banned
So I bought my iphone 5 on Sept 22 from Rogers up here in Canada, and I noticed there's a small grey-ish smudge on the camera lens I guess, cause it shows on the screen and in pics taken. Very subtle but against whites and light colors it's very noticeable.

What do I do? I assumed I should make an appointment at an Apple Store? Can they give me a replacement or fix it? It's only been like 65 days.

I have no extra warranties, just the reg stuff. Phone is not damaged in any way outside of a couple of minor scratches on the sides where the paint has come off.
So I took my phone in for a Genius appointment for this issue, guy looked at it for 2 seconds, agreed with me, and promptly gave me a brand new 5.

Shit like that is what is gonna keep me coming back Apple.

Crazymoogle said:
There's really too many variables. Carriers love to charge differently based on contract length, amount of minutes, amount of data, etc etc etc etc. They make it complex on purpose.

What you need to figure out is what carriers you're willing to deal with (ie: if you have a Verizon phone then presumably just Verizon and their affiliates) and then the minimum plan you could accept. It gets complicated fast.

Well using this, at&t is the cheapest. $40 for voice, pay per use for text, and 300mb data.

Verizon needs to be exiled.

All carriers to tell you the truth. They're robbing us.

So I went from about 8 hrs active use with Gmail on ActiveSync/Exchange to 10 hrs using the Gmail app instead.

How long after receiving an email does it take for you to get a notification from the Gmail app? I tried it out last night and I got a notification within seconds with Gmail setup as an Exchange account, but the notification never showed up from the Gmail app.

Ashhong

Hm, I like the Gmail app right now, except that when you archive a message, it goes back to your inbox instead of to the next message. Any way to change that?

Talon

How long after receiving an email does it take for you to get a notification from the Gmail app? I tried it out last night and I got a notification within seconds with Gmail setup as an Exchange account, but the notification never showed up from the Gmail app.
It's been instantaneous for me. Might want to check your notification settings?

Are other people still having battery problems? 3 of my work mates have iPhone 5s with no issues but my phone dies before I finish work almost every day, whether I use it or not.

Ashhong

The car charger I had before was just a thing with 2 usb ports... and the cable is cheaper than the adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Charger...dp/B0047T79KO/ these are also nicer for when you have passengers who need to charge stuff too :p

Oh man that's hideous. Get this one, you can just leave it in there since it's so small. Love it

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042B9U8Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Anybody using 3rd party USB cables yet? The ones on Amazon seem to be working ok, except some of them aren't reversible. Not that I care about that.

knitoe

Are other people still having battery problems? 3 of my work mates have iPhone 5s with no issues but my phone dies before I finish work almost every day, whether I use it or not.

Have you try doing a restore through iTunes? Is your phone set to push and/or fetch data constantly? Is your cellular service weak at your work place and the phone is constantly looking for a signal? If all else, could be a hardware issue so you need to get it replace with Apple.

Talon

Do you have Downcast set to download based on location by chance? I had that turned on, and it must have been checking location every 5 minutes or so because I went from 100% -> 30% over the course of 4 hours.

krpiper

is it because the two kind of cancel each other out maybe?

sangreal

I get notifications in gmail app instantly. I've been using it awhile specifically for that reason (I can't setup my work email as exchange). Unfortunately even the new version still doesnt let you change the notification sound

Talon

I get notifications in gmail app instantly. I've been using it awhile specifically for that reason (I can't setup my work email as exchange). Unfortunately even the new version still doesnt let you change the notification sound
I sort of like it because I can differentiate between Work (Exchange) and Personal (Gmail) messages.

Side note, I use Windows Phones email ringtone because...it sounds great.

th3dude

So I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on one of these. Now that it has been out for a while, want to ask...

Anyone primarily use Google Voice with their iPhone 5? How is it?

Mairu

I sort of like it because I can differentiate between Work (Exchange) and Personal (Gmail) messages.

Side note, I use Windows Phones email ringtone because...it sounds great.

If it's the same as the Win8/Surface email sound I use it too! It's a very pleasant email sound. After owning a Surface for a week (before returning...) I had to pull the email notify sound off and use it on my iPhone :D

Mine seem to be delayed a few minutes. If I see an email show up in my inbox through the Gmail webpage, it takes a few minutes for the notification to come through the app. Not really a big deal since it's for my personal email, just noticed that it is a little delayed compared to having my Gmail account setup as an Exchange account.

Ashhong

Instant for me as well. Currently still have my Exchange setup and my phone beeps twice, once for Exchange and once for Gmail.

Top Bottom