• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

tmdorsey

I sort of like it because I can differentiate between Work (Exchange) and Personal (Gmail) messages.

Side note, I use Windows Phones email ringtone because...it sounds great.

I use the text tone for my texts and love it. Got a link to what the email tone sounds like?

EDIT, nevermind found the windows 8 email tone.

Took my iPhone 5 to the Apple store due to my continued problems with apps crashing and the entire phone crashing into full reboots.

The "genius" told me he had some special way of restoring the phone that was not possible for us normal people on iTunes.

Is this possible or true? He told he my phone may have problems with the underlying firmware, and the restore option on iTunes (which I've already done) wasn't as complete as what he could do.

Do you have Downcast set to download based on location by chance? I had that turned on, and it must have been checking location every 5 minutes or so because I went from 100% -> 30% over the course of 4 hours.

Have you try doing a restore through iTunes? Is your phone set to push and/or fetch data constantly? Is your cellular service weak at your work place and the phone is constantly looking for a signal? If all else, could be a hardware issue so you need to get it replace with Apple.

No Downcast or any apps that use location. Have mail set to 30 minute fetch. Haven't tried a restore, will do that, thanks.

Talon

Thought about going caseless. Saw a dude with a completely shattered iPhone 5.

Embrace the case.
Took my iPhone 5 to the Apple store due to my continued problems with apps crashing and the entire phone crashing into full reboots.

The "genius" told me he had some special way of restoring the phone that was not possible for us normal people on iTunes.

Is this possible or true? He told he my phone may have problems with the underlying firmware, and the restore option on iTunes (which I've already done) wasn't as complete as what he could do.
I've had "Geniuses" tell me some goofy things. This sounds like a goofy thing.

mrkgoo

Yeah don't know why caseless is so cool. It's a $700 piece of equipment. My case is just matte black so doesn't really look different than no case.

It's not that caseless is cool - it's that I see the phone is the internals, and the external is the housing for it. So it already has a case, be it one that is perhaps only minimally protective. I'm willing to bet that Apple actually does all sorts of drop tests and durability before settling on a design, like it has to meet certain minimum requirements (even if one might conder those low).

I get that some people want to protect it more, or they want to prevent scratches for resale, or they want to customise, or enhance functionality with added features, such as grip or battery. There's a whole spectrum of people out there, you're somewhere along it, I'm somewhere else.

frico

I had this done a couple of years ago with an iPhone 4. I watched her do it and to my surprise it did fix my issues.

gblues

Banned

He's full of shit.

He's probably using DFU mode instead of standard recovery mode. The only difference is that more of the phone's firmware has loaded in Recovery Mode than in DFU mode. DFU mode is only helpful when the device turns on but locks up before it gets into recovery mode.

If your phone boots to recovery mode, the low-level firmware is fine and the restore is identical.

mrkgoo

I really wished the phone was wider.

I do too sometimes, as the keyboard feels kinda small in portrait for two thumb typing. It's already hard to reach the bottom with the thumb of the hand you;re holding it with, and the lack of significant bezel at the edges means the very edge keys can be hard to reach.

But I appreciate the pocketability a lot more, so I think it's nice in that way.

jcm

Yeah don't know why caseless is so cool. It's a $700 piece of equipment. My case is just matte black so doesn't really look different than no case.

It looks better without a case. I bought a pretty phone, and I like to see it. I don't put a plastic cover on my couch, either, even though a glass of red wine could wreck it. And the couch cost more than $700.

Push or fetch email; what's GAF's preference?

Push.

Anyway, got a little surprise in my mailbox today:

Zanfi.jpg

LtEaI.jpg

DU2hL.jpg

BOut8.jpg

One of my good friends bought me this case. It feels like it's made of some kind of soft plastic/silicone that kinda imitates the feeling of wood and there's also a soft silicone backing that protects the back of the phone from the "wood."

Here's a quick review:

Pros:
- Adds a tiny amount of weight where you can actually feel the phone in your hand(may be a con for some actually)
- Fake wood is pretty grippy.
- Buttons and ports are mostly accessible. More on that later.
- Slightly raised on the face of the phone, so you can lay it face down on the table.
- 10 bucks off eBay

Cons:
- Camera flash reflects off the inner silicone so it's practically useless.
- Mute switch is kinda deep so it's kinda hard to access it if you have really huge fingers lol
- Huge or awkward headphone jacks won't fit. My Superlux HD662F, Sony MDR-V6, and V-Moda Remix Remotes work perfectly fine but the AT M-50's wont fit since its jack is pretty huge.

Overall though, it's a nice case. I didn't pay for it so I'm not really complaining. But I do like it and will probably keep it on until it breaks or I find a different case that I really like. I had some clear case on it before that didn't protect the entire phone, just the back and the corners so this is definitely an upgrade. Then also the price as I mentioned, it's 10 bucks and it looks pretty good for what it is. Sure, it's not a Grove or the Miniot but for $10 bucks I definitely will take it lol.

Is there any chance that particular clear case was a Incase Snap Case?

Nah, it's from a brand called Cygnet. I bought it from Fry's about 2 weeks ago, cost me about $10 bucks as well since it was gonna be a temporary cases before buying something else.

Lol sorry I don't have your taste of style with cases. I'm not gonna dump the case because some guy on the internet doesn't like it. :p

Nori Chan

So my gf just realized that her phone has never vibrated at all since we got our phones last month. I tried going under settings and nothing. Any advice?

Also her camera looks much worse compared to mine. Her's is white, and mine is black if there's a difference in that.

Am I going to have to take this to the apple store, cause it sounds like she got royally screwed over.

Mairu

So my gf just realized that her phone has never vibrated at all since we got our phones last month. I tried going under settings and nothing. Any advice?

Also her camera looks much worse compared to mine. Her's is white, and mine is black if there's a difference in that.

Am I going to have to take this to the apple store, cause it sounds like she got royally screwed over.

take it to the apple store

mrkgoo

Push or fetch email; what's GAF's preference?

I fetch. But that's because email gets me anxious, so I'd rather do it on my terms rather than have my phone buzz me.

Something I've noticed of late - I hardly EVER see an iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S int eh wild with no case. I could probably count on one hand the times I have. And they are hugely popular, they're everywhere.

But already, I've seen quite a few iPhone 5s with no case. I'm not sure what that means.

Also, I've noticed the occasional 'purple' screen flicker up when I activate the camera. It just flashes for a brief moment. Not always just occasionally, and it has never caused a problem, but just wondering if anyone else has ever seen that.

MilkLizard

Also, I've noticed the occasional 'purple' screen flicker up when I activate the camera. It just flashes for a brief moment. Not always just occasionally, and it has never caused a problem, but just wondering if anyone else has ever seen that.

Yes, I've seen it a few times already and I even have it on a (boring) video. I will upload it on Youtube and post the link here.

EDIT

Link

mrkgoo

Yes, I've seen it a few times already and I even have it on a (boring) video. I will upload it on Youtube and post the link here.

EDIT

Link

Hmm, interesting, but no it's not that. Thanks for showing though. Mine just flickers a single flash of solid purple just when I boot up the camera (haven't taken anything yet), like the camera powers up briefly. Only happened twice.

I think this is going to be my last iPhone - at least until they change how they build them. While I love almost everything about the phone I am not happy with how durable it is. I've got a small gash in the top of my phone because I hit it while it was inside my pocket.

It's not the end of the world, and I'll probably just get a full wrap around case instead of the Spigen one I have, but I really shouldn't have to. I'm not too deep into the Apple ecosystem so I might try something else next time.

ecurbj

Sir Jonathan Ive can go into work Monday morning and grab a new phone if he drops it in a parking lot and scuffs it up.

Or maybe Sir Jonathan is careful about his belongings and avoids mistakes that can easily be avoided (being aware of his surroundings, etc.).

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Or maybe Sir Jonathan is careful about his belongings and avoids mistakes that can easily be avoided (being aware of his surroundings, etc.).

Shit happens. I am sure plenty of people would love to take Ive's heed and leave their phone uncovered, but not having to worry if their precious is safe every waking second is probably a fair trade off. Ive doesn't live in the same world as you and I.

ecurbj

Shit happens. I am sure plenty of people would love to take Ive's heed and leave their phone uncovered, but not having to worry if their precious is safe every waking second is probably a fair trade off. Ive doesn't live in the same world as you and I.
Shit does happen. No argument there. But case or no case. The iPhone will still get damaged if you don't take care of it. The same can be said about any other materialistic item on this Earth.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Shit does happen. No argument there. But case or no case. The iPhone will still get damaged if you don't take care of it. The same can be said about any other materialistic item on this Earth.
I completely agree. What are we arguing about?

My mom got the iPhone 5 and I'm nervous about her having it naked. We have a case on order that will be here by Friday. I honestly am worried she will break it. This is because I've grown up seeing how she handles electronic devices. I didn't realize how nice the white one looks until now though. I'm still glad I got the black one, but the white one looks much nicer than I thought.

DMeisterJ

Banned
My mom got the iPhone 5 and I'm nervous about her having it naked. We have a case on order that will be here by Friday. I honestly am worried she will break it. This is because I've grown up seeing how she handles electronic devices. I didn't realize how nice the white one looks until now though. I'm still glad I got the black one, but the white one looks much nicer than I thought.

I feel the opposite. I saw the black one in person recently, and I really liked it better than my white one. I guess it's just 'the grass is always greener on the other side' in play.

the reveal case sucks. its too loose. the white one also gets dirty incredibly quick and hard to clean up.

im using some cheap $2 clear case i got from ebay. offers probably zero protection but it makes the phone look cool and makes it feel better to hold. i really think the phone is too light as weird as it sounds.

the reveal case sucks. its too loose. the white one also gets dirty incredibly quick and hard to clean up.

im using some cheap $2 clear case i got from ebay. offers probably zero protection but it makes the phone look cool and makes it feel better to hold. i really think the phone is too light as weird as it sounds.

It's not a good case to cram into a pocket, no. I don't think the "looseness" is a problem for everyone else though.

Yes, the white one is a problem. My wife originally got it, but it quickly began looking dirty white, without actually getting it dirty. She exchanged it for the pink and it's been fine.

I think it's a great case because it has a sturdy but soft feeling bumper which protects it from drops very well, but it isn't very thick. It just has a nice feel to it in your hand.

knitoe

Yeah. Griffin Reveal case is crappy. If you want something similar and much better, look at the SGP Linear cases. $2 cheaper and no tax & free shipping from Amazon.
61EQUdI%2Bu3L._SL1000_.jpg

It's not a good case to cram into a pocket, no. I don't think the "looseness" is a problem for everyone else though.

Yes, the white one is a problem. My wife originally got it, but it quickly began looking dirty white, without actually getting it dirty. She exchanged it for the pink and it's been fine.

I think it's a great case because it has a sturdy but soft feeling bumper which protects it from drops very well, but it isn't very thick. It just has a nice feel to it in your hand.

i too thought it was the right amount of thickness and comfortable to hold but i just couldnt deal with the looseness. little pockets opened up on the sides whenever i gripped it and it made it look and feel bad.

Yeah. Griffin Reveal case is crappy. If you want something similar and much better, look at the SGP Linear cases. $2 cheaper and no tax & free shipping from Amazon.
61EQUdI%2Bu3L._SL1000_.jpg

this looks pretty good. does it protect it well? i thought about getting a cheap clear case for daily use and use an otterbox when i go to the gym. im there regularly and i dont think itd be wise to put the phone in the treadmill without good protection since it vibrates mercilessly.

Top Bottom