• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

lupinko

I have two cases for my 5, well three if you count the athletic armband, one is a bulkier soft/hardcase hybrid by Incipio and the other is a clear case with a built in stand. I prefer the latter since it does not add weight to the phone which the former did.

I also have carbon fiber ghost armor to go along with the ghost armor screen.

knitoe

Are the rubber sides flat so that it may stand on its sides?
Yes. The sides are flat and the phone can stand on it's side with a SGP Linear case.

this looks pretty good. does it protect it well? i thought about getting a cheap clear case for daily use and use an otterbox when i go to the gym. im there regularly and i dont think itd be wise to put the phone in the treadmill without good protection since it vibrates mercilessly.
It offers good protection (has front lip, side and back protected), but if you are going to drop your phone often, better to go with a otterbox.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
i too thought it was the right amount of thickness and comfortable to hold but i just couldnt deal with the looseness. little pockets opened up on the sides whenever i gripped it and it made it look and feel bad.
Yeah I've never experienced this with my case. Mine is pretty much air tight.

You may have a defective case or something.

i bought both a black and a white one, both with the same problems :/ i guess i was just unlucky but it was enough to steer me away from this completely.

It offers good protection (has front lip, side and back protected), but if you are going to drop your phone often, better to go with a otterbox.

ah fair enough. guess its impossible to have both sleek & great protection.

SeanR1221

Reading about the griffin online is seems the back gets really scratched and the belkin candy sheer is a better choice. Maybe I'll exchange.

LCfiner

Impressions will be appreciated

Yeah, I assumed as much but hopefully it won't be too bad. I just wish my adapter would arrive sooner, I have this fancy dock sitting on my desk at work and it's useless.

So I got my lightning adapter today for the elevation dock. installation took about a minute.

As i expected, it does not produce a loose, easy to undock fit as they had with the old iphone dock.

they had to create this adapter so that the entire lightning connector fits inside and they had no way to alter the locking mechanism or the thickness of the adapter.

when docked, you can lift up the entire aluminum dock by pulling up on the phone. so you need to grab the phone from the midway point down, then put a pinkie down on the dock for leverage and pull up. ideally, you're using a second hand. a bit easier than using a lighter plastic dock but not at all like the loose fitting original elevation dock.

Also, the iphone is not resting on any other surface but the edge of the lightning connector. it's not touching the back rubber or the lower aluminum floor. it sits above and can rock left to right very slightly.

so, there ya go. If you already bought a dock for the iphone 4, the 15 dollar adapter makes the pretty aluminum "not useless" but if you're looking for a dock for the iPhone 5, I would not get this as it's quite pricey (80 bucks, I think?) and doesn't offer the ease-of-use advantage that it did with the old dock connector

Not being able to slide the phone out with one hand and, I'm assuming, no way to plug in headphones while it's docked is a real bummer to hear. By adapter arrived today but I haven't picked it up yet, I think it's time for me to look for a new dock and send this one to one of my family members.

RBH

Update: Dealnews notes that Best Buy is now offering the $50 discount with 5,000 Reward Zone points (equivalent to a $100 Best Buy gift card) on the 16, 32, and 64GB iPhone 5 models for Reward Zone members. Free shipping, online orders only.
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/09/best-buy-offering-50-off-of-all-iphone-5-models/

Whoa.

bestbuy.png

gimmmick

iphone5.jpg

After using android since the Oct 2008, I guess I'm finally giving ios a try now. After about a whole afternoon of using my phone, I must say I'm really impressed with the battery life on this gizmo.

SeanR1221

I get like 6 hours of actual usage browsing the web and streaming from Spotify. I'm ok with that. Standby time is still top notch. Plus the phone charges incredibly fast.

After using android since the Oct 2008, I guess I'm finally giving ios a try now. After about a whole afternoon of using my phone, I must say I'm really impressed with the battery life on this gizmo.

Contemplating on getting this coming from the android system myself. What phone did you have before you made the switch? The shit battery life is the reason why I want to switch to an iphone.

CrankyJay

Banned
Finally had a chance to hold a few at the apple store. My first impression coming from a 4: it's too light! It feels cheap even tho I know it's not. Hard to explain.

Also, I'm seriously digging the white one. Will wait to see what the 5S offers.

It phone felt snappy but without trying it with all my apps and LTE I couldn't really tell.

CrankyJay

Banned
Damn, just saw that deal.

I see it's good on 2 phones, but I don't see how to do 2 at once. Do I have to do them separately?

edit: Damn, misleading post at macrumors said you can do the $150 per phone + 5000 reward zone points, but it looks like they closed that loophole.

I returned the Griffin case (negative reviews said the back got scratched up over time).

Got this instead

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Belkin+...6499646&st=belkin iphone candy case&cp=1&lp=1

nice, that one looks pretty legit. i just ordered this speck one. was like 20 bucks a while ago but its like 10 something now so i figured why not.

^not me. I feel it's a bit worse or the same as the iphone 4. I was really hoping for better battery life :(

how much do you get? i browse, text, email and listen to music often and i only have to charge once every 2 days or so. get around 9-10 hours at a time. my brightness is like 30% and i have LTE off unless im browsing the web outside.

Talon

^not me. I feel it's a bit worse or the same as the iphone 4. I was really hoping for better battery life :(
Are you using Exchange to get Gmail accounts to Push? That might be killing your battery life.

I started using the Gmail App over the weekend, and I went from 7-8 hours usage to 10-11 hours.

JDeluis

I think I'm going to get the black Urban Armor Gear case. Love the military/tactical look;

VvRQU.jpg

I just bought this case last week from amazon. Really nice and doesn't add much weight to the phone. The buttons feel great. Only negative is the cut out of the camera is too big.

Jonogunn

Are you using Exchange to get Gmail accounts to Push? That might be killing your battery life.

I started using the Gmail App over the weekend, and I went from 7-8 hours usage to 10-11 hours.

Ya I am. I like all my mail unified. Also there's no load time unlike the gmail app.

I guess that's a huge trade off

JDeluis

Nice.

And I agree, after I saw the pictures that cutout did stand out, but not a big deal to me. I also read that you can still use the Spigen SGP tempered glass front cover with that case. So it will be the perfect combo for me :D

I was using Speck Fabshell Burton before this case and that had a perfect camera cutout. So that is the reason it stands out for me.

F0D3J.jpg

I'm using the Spigen SGP Ultra Crystal and the case wraps around the edges of the phone so it never touches the screen protector. I know the Spigen Tempered Glass is much thicker, but it doesn't look like to should be a problem.

tigerin

Wouldn't it still be cheaper if you get etf with this deal? $50 and a $100 gift card sounds great. So that will probably comes out to around $400 for the Verizon and att version. Right?

I was excited thinking I finally found a deal on an off contract Verizon iPhone 5. Looks like any of those deals require a 2 year deal.

I guess verizon is still the cheapest to get one for $650. Even on eBay they are still going for 700+

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I had one of those yellow Belkin ones, gets stained after a couple of weeks.

th3dude

Wouldn't it still be cheaper if you get etf with this deal? $50 and a $100 gift card sounds great. So that will probably comes out to around $400 for the Verizon and att version. Right?

That isn't a terrible idea, but I'm trying to avoid restarting a contract.

Got my lightning adapter for the Elevation dock today and it does indeed suck. Time to find a new stand where I can still use my headphones while the phone is plugged in.

is the verizon phone warranty worth it? if anything happens to my phone in the first year that isnt my fault, can i walk into an apple store and have them look at it? or should i keep paying the $10/month insurance from verizon?

I saw the advertisement for the $150 iphone 5 and am considering upgrading my phone. Then noticed its usually $199 which is making me re-evaluate if it is worth the price, wait for something else. I just followed the link for the $100 gift card deal, it seems its expired; am I missing something or is it over already?
edit: I guess I got it too work, a $199 phone with a $100 giftcard.

I currently have a blackberry storm (original 9350? touch) that I've had for about 5 years. I make the most of it but when compared to my wifes 4S I can't even view it as a "smart" phone.

My wife has a 4S (verizon) and had previously talked about letting our contract run out and move to a cheaper 2nd tier carrier (T-mobile, MetroPCS) do any work with a Verizon iphone?

What are the "usable" differences between an iphone 5 and 4s? Is there anything I would actually be missing if I got the 4S?

Are there any rumors for next year's refresh?

bonesquad

I saw the advertisement for the $150 iphone 5 and am considering upgrading my phone. Then noticed its usually $199 which is making me re-evaluate if it is worth the price, wait for something else. I just followed the link for the $100 gift card deal, it seems its expired; am I missing something or is it over already?

I currently have a blackberry storm (original 9350? touch) that I've had for about 5 years. I make the most of it but when compared to my wifes 4S I can't even view it as a "smart" phone.

My wife has a 4S (verizon) and had previously talked about letting our contract run out and move to a cheaper 2nd tier carrier (T-mobile, MetroPCS) do any work with a Verizon iphone?

What are the "usable" differences between an iphone 5 and 4s? Is there anything I would actually be missing if I got the 4S?

Unless Apple switches up their refresh cycle again (which isn't the likely case, but definitely possible) the next iPhone won't be until September. Which also means it is way too soon for any rumors. Best guess, it will be a 5S with faster guts/better camera, and the big addition being NFC. But who knows.

The addition of LTE and especially the bigger screen, plus the faster guts, of the 5 over the 4S is a very nice improvement. If you are about to get "stuck" with a two year contract (which you have to get as part of this deal, and TMobile doesn't have iPhone yet) I'd get the best phone you can.

lupinko

If you're going on a contract, you buy the best that's available, in the case of the iPhone, it's iPhone 5.

The only way I could even suggest or recommend the 4S to you was if someone was giving it to you for free or as a gift unlocked.

JayDub

iPhone 5 came with a scratch. Is this something the Apple Store will accept for an exchange? If they dont, can I just return it (its within the 14 day window)?

lupinko

iPhone 5 came with a scratch. Is this something the Apple Store will accept for an exchange? If they dont, can I just return it (its within the 14 day window)?

Yes, you are definitely entitled to do so and they will accept an exchange from what I've read from other people.

Top Bottom