• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

You should consider switching to giffgaff. You get 250 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data with their £10 a month plan. They also use o2's network so you won't notice any difference in coverage or network quality.

http://giffgaff.com/index/offer

Yeah, about that...

We will be supporting the iPhone 5 as soon as we can, but before we go ahead and offer the nanoSIM, there are a number of technical changes that need to be made. To be able to get the giffgaff nanoSIM launched as soon as we can, we are looking at alternative distribution methods (a bit like we have done in the past with Microgaff). If all goes well, we hope to have the SIM cards ready for distribution in the coming months

As a Giffgaff customer, I'm pretty pissed off. I'm not going to be able to get the phone at launch now without getting a ridiculous contract from someone. But if I wait "months" to sell my iPhone 4 its value is gonna drop like hell.

Polari

Pretty underwhelming. A slightly bigger screen, a processor that's probably more or less a dual-core Snapdragon S4, LTE a year and a half after the Droid Thunderbolt came out. The two-tone design on the back is pretty hideous and it otherwise keeps the same utilitarian look of the iPhone 4. They didn't even manage to get the bezel down to the extent Motorola did with their new phone. It's obviously still going to sell by the bucket-load but it's not a game changer like the iPhone 4 was.

Cheers. Heard mixed things about that provider. Not sure why though if they use o2. Will have another read up.

I've been using GiffGaff for about...6 months or so. They've had hours of downtime on one occasion, other than that it's been fine. Just like the o2 service I used to get, unsurprisingly.

LCfiner

I read that. and then I read the response from numble and others that spanned many pages

iPod Out is a proprietary interface used on some BMWs in 2010. This is iPod Out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj0SRzd40s4

Why would they specifically say video out and an obscure output like iPod Out is not compatible, but not tell you that audio out is not supported?

And numble makes a good point and is almost assuredly correct, considering the naming of "ipod out" instead of "line out" and the images Apple posted at the keynote themselves. this is why it's important for someone like Will, who is supposed to be more thorough than the rest of us, to be checking this shit.

twofold

Cheers. Heard mixed things about that provider. Not sure why though if they use o2. Will have another read up.

I think that English people, in general, love to complain about their phone networks. I've had contracts with 3, Orange and o2 and didn't have problems with any of them. Shrug.

Yeah, about that...

As a Giffgaff customer, I'm pretty pissed off. I'm not going to be able to get the phone at launch now without getting a ridiculous contract from someone. But if I wait "months" to sell my iPhone 4 its value is gonna drop like hell.

Yeah, that's pretty shitty. They should have been prepared for this.

In the meantime, three offer 300 mins, 3000 texts and unlimited data with their iPhone starter packs. Costs £15 a month. Pretty decent deal.

Pachael

On a 3GS. October will be fun when in AU-land when the 4G phones to compare. (The 4G SGS3 is coming to Optus this month and Telstra the next EDIT: Oh right, even the new Lumia once W8 is out... eventually)

And by then the benches and first impressions will be out too, as well as devices I can hold etc. Hopefully the performance stacks up and all that.

Hokhoku

Banned
Pretty underwhelming. A slightly bigger screen, a processor that's probably more or less a dual-core Snapdragon S4, LTE a year and a half after the Droid Thunderbolt came out. The two-tone design on the back is pretty hideous and it otherwise keeps the same utilitarian look of the iPhone 4. They didn't even manage to get the bezel down to the extent Motorola did with their new phone. It's obviously still going to sell by the bucket-load but it's not a game changer like the iPhone 4 was.

Iphone 4 wasnt a big game changer
All it had more that was worth it was the retina....

nib95

Banned
I think that English people, in general, love to complain about their phone networks. I've had contracts with 3, Orange and o2 and didn't have problems with any of them. Shrug.

Yeah, that's pretty shitty. They should have been prepared for this.

In the meantime, three offer 300 mins, 3000 texts and unlimited data with their iPhone starter packs. Costs £15 a month. Pretty decent deal.

I'm on a pretty awesome Vodafone Business deal. £30 a month for 3000mins, unlimited texts, 1gb data and 1gb BT wireless. More importantly, Vodafone business customer service is brilliant.

All I care about is data, so I may just switch to them if they can get a nano SIM to me on the Friday. Hell I may just go on contract with them, their prices don't seem too bad.

magicstop

I love consumer mentality. We're so fucked keyed up on this shit and feel so invested and entitled. People feel the need to actually come into a thread about a product simply to comment that they think it's shit, boring, a waste, not innovative, etc., as if it actually fucking matters what they think or who knows it. This isn't some sort of democratic decision being made, a bit of policy or a piece of legislation or a community decision, it's a fucking phone.
If you want it, you'll buy it. If you don't, you won't.

CrankyJay

Banned
I feel the same way:( That's the biggest reason why I'll probably cave and get a 5. I'm actually ok with my 4. It doesn't feel old or outdated just yet (unlike the 3G at my two year mark). Still, my contract expired over two months ago now and I've been paying that high fee without any of it going towards subsidizing a phone. Feels almost like throwing money away...

Huh? This only matters if you plan on upgrading before your next 2 year contract is up. Man, these phone companies have us all by the balls.

Pepto

Banned
People feel the need to actually come into a thread about a product simply to comment that they think it's shit, boring, a waste, not innovative, etc., as if it actually fucking matters what they think or who knows it.

What should people talk about in these kinds of threads?

venne

Iphone 4 wasnt a big game changer
All it had more that was worth it was the retina....

The 5 doesn't have a tent pole exclusive feature to market around.

Apple has lived on ten pole features for the past couple years to easily convey why their phone was superior to others. See, 'Retina' on the 4 and Siri on the 4S.

The Apple messaging isn't as strong with this product. It's a much better iphone this year, but that's a given in mobile technology.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
I love consumer mentality. We're so fucked keyed up on this shit and feel so invested and entitled. People feel the need to actually come into a thread about a product simply to comment that they think it's shit, boring, a waste, not innovative, etc., as if it actually fucking matters what they think or who knows it. This isn't some sort of democratic decision being made, a bit of policy or a piece of legislation or a community decision, it's a fucking phone.

you're pissed that people are expressing their personal views of a cell phone on a message board devoted these same individuals expressing their views on video games?

maybe you'd prefer posting on LGF, or something. you seem like a serious dude with serious ideas.

Enco

Wut?

People discussing a phone on a forum is now a bad thing?

We're not allowed to say that something is uninspired or not innovative? I don't think that about the iPhone 5 but if someone does they have the right to say it.

Out of curiosity, which phone? For some reason a slim bezel is a huge selling point for me. I really like the look of the lumia 920, but the excessive amount of space around the windows buttons, and between the screen and borders, really bugs me.

You're not referring to the RAZR are you? There's a lot of empty space on that phone's front.

Trickster

So, would you rather have the topic be a big circlejerk for the new iphone?

Anyone wondering, Three in the UK are offering nano SIMs without contract with unlimited internet for £13 a month. The site seems to be struggling at the minute but if you go through the process of buying a monthly SIM the option for a nano is there.

injurai

Banned

Apple has lived on ten pole features for the past couple years to easily convey why their phone was superior to others. See, 'Retina' on the 4 and Siri on the 4S.

The Apple messaging isn't as strong with this product. It's a much better iphone this year, but that's a given in mobile technology.

Yet its the first iphone to really capture my attention. Something about the build quality I think, because android phones just don't have the same infrastructure that goes into their designs.

numble

I don't see how Siri was a tent pole feature when it wasn't even available in a lot of markets, including the 2nd largest market (China).

What was the tent pole feature of the 3G, 3GS, or iPad 2?

HTuran

Anyone wondering, Three in the UK are offering nano SIMs without contract with unlimited internet for £13 a month. The site seems to be struggling at the minute but if you go through the process of buying a monthly SIM the option for a nano is there.

Seems like a good solution whilst Giffgaff get their nano SIMs ready.

venne

Yet its the first iphone to really capture my attention. Something about the build quality I think, because android phones just don't have the same infrastructure that goes into their designs.

That you can't put your finger on what captures your attention is exactly what I'm talking about.

'Something about the build quality' doesn't really work as a voice over while the iphone 5 is being fingered on a stark white background with a playful music soundtrack.

magicstop

So, would you rather have the topic be a big circlejerk for the new iphone?

Not at all, although it makes more sense. Those that are excited would clamor about it, generating posts. Those who weren't wouldn't bother. But instead we don't just get people who aren't excited, but instead, almost an anti-excitement wherein people feel the need to really broadcast just how UNexcited they are, as if they aren't content with the excitement of those who are on board. Weird phenomena. In my mind, an iPhone 5, or S3, or Vita, or whatever thread, looks like primarily like people talking about specs, apps, games, hardware, whatever. The excitement thing, I get. The anti-excitement thing, I don't.
But don't feel obliged to explain. I just was surprised and put off when trying to digest this thread this morning. It doesn't actually matter in the least.
tl;dr Carry on.

venne

I don't see how Siri was a tent pole feature when it wasn't even available in a lot of markets, including the 2nd largest market (China).

What was the tent pole feature of the 3G, 3GS, or iPad 2?

Tent poles are the marketing focus.

Siri commercials? Check. Retina? Check.

You can rely on the device itself initially. Then the competition catches up and you need to differentiate.

injurai

Banned
That you can't put your finger on what captures your attention is exactly what I'm talking about.

'Something about the build quality' doesn't really work as a voice over while the iphone 5 is being fingered on a stark white background with a playful music soundtrack.

Yeah, I don't know. The aesthetics seem more solid this time around, and I have almost gotten tired to keeping up with the apple hate. If you can't beat them, join them...

Seems like a good solution whilst Giffgaff get their nano SIMs ready.

I think Three may have better service here than O2/Giffgaff, so I may stick with them if that ends up the case.

Honestly it's times like this you realise you get what you pay for with Giffgaff. It's all amateur hour.

nib95

Banned
Yeah, I don't know. The aesthetics seem more solid this time around, and I have almost gotten tired to keeping up with the apple hate. If you can't beat them, join them...

Personally I find this to be one of the more lazier of their designs. It looks great, but it's not innovative or ground breaking. Stainless steal or brushed aluminium has been done a lot, add to that just stretching the screen longer whilst keeping that horribly large redundant space top and bottom of the screen just seems such a waste. Doesn't seem like as efficient a design as previous installments.

If it looked as it did but with a shorter profile and less redundant space, I think it'd have been much better. But at present it looks more like a candy bar or high end (B&O esque) TV remote than a phone. I still love the look of the black version though, mainly for the two tone bad assery.

injurai

Banned
Personally I find this to be one of the more lazier of their designs. It looks great, but it's not innovative or ground breaking. Stainless steal or brushed aluminium has been done a lot, add to that just stretching the screen longer whilst keeping that horribly large redundant space top and bottom of the screen just seems such a waste. Doesn't seem like as efficient a design as previous installments.

If it looked as it did but with a shorter profile and less redundant space, I think it'd have been much better. But at present it looks more like a candy bar or high end (B&O esque) TV remote than a phone. I still love the look of the black version though, mainly for the two tone bad assery.

You can't really call them lazy when their factories custom fit each part together based on microns of measurement. I have never had a smart phone so I do understand size preferences, but I can see how making it longer could peeve people off. But really the product is an incredible work of engineering. Too bad I have never liked iOS.

AngryMoth

Well I guess I'm getting an iPhone 5. Feeling disappointed with the changes to the latest model but at the end of the day I can't leave the platform because of one important reason; the App Store. I cant bring myself to part with the dozens of apps I've bought over the last few years, and Android still seems like its an afterthought to most developers, all the exciting work is done on iOS. But instead of being excited I feel trapped into sticking with the Apple. Its become almost like a sports team, have to support them through tick and thin because of the financial investment you have in their ecosystem. If it weren't for the App Store I'd most likely be waiting for the next Nexus instead.

I was hoping against hope that theyd use the extra screen space for a widget area on the home screen, and the decision to add just another row of icons to me tippifies the stagnation of the platform, in comparison to Android which still seems to be rapidly improving. I don't know, maybe I'll appreciated the size bump when I actually use it but at the moment the justification for the decision seems pretty flimsy. My other complains are that the new design is rather lacklustre and the 2 features I really wanted to see in iOS6, live icons and an open version of Siri, are nowhere to be seen.

My enthusiasm for Apple in general seems to be waining. Something about their keynote yesterday seemed less genuine than in the past, the video they opened with did have that cult feel people talk about and the way they referred to the new iPhone as the most significent upgrade yet when clearly it isn't was jarring. I realise I'm a little lttp here, maybe its just me starting to see through the veil rather than them actually getting worse.

Anyway like I said I'm getting one so we'll see how it goes. My 3GS has felt very burdensome the last year so I'm sure the enormous upgrade will have me feeling more positive next week.

The upper area has 2 mics, flash, front and back hd cameras, light sensors and earpiece. Now explain how the upper area is reduced with the current tech

Oxn

So ive never used iOS extensively before.

Is there a way to make the iphone in chinese? This way i can get my parents one as well.

I find it really odd Apple have nothing to justify the taller display in terms of software. You would have thought the home screen would do SOMETHING other than just "more icons lol"

I find it really odd Apple have nothing to justify the taller display in terms of software. You would have thought the home screen would do SOMETHING other than just "more icons lol"

I know this must be weird for android people, but the iPhone can display stuff other than the home screen. Say, apps.

Apple's A6 processor is a Cortex A-15 confirmed?

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4396151/Apple-A6-processor-is-dual-core-Cortex-A15

LONDON – The A6 processor inside Apple's iPhone 5 mobile phone is a dual-core Cortex-A15 design manufactured for Apple by Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. in its 32-nm HKMG manufacturing process, according to analysts at Nomura Equity Research.

It is thought this would make the Apple one of the first companies to bring out a Cortex-A15 based processor. Cortex-A15 is the highest performance processor core from intellectual property licensor ARM Holdings plc (Cambridge, England).

Top Bottom