• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Quick question, my iphone 5 is about 3 weeks old now since I received it from buying online, however for the last 2 weeks there has been a dead pixel near the middle of the screen and for the most it's ok, but I know it's there and on bright games I can see it and starts to make me think about it.

Is it possible to give an apple store a visit and get a replacement? it's only one pixel but at the same time it's in the worst place and for £600 I expect a lasting phone.

Husker86

Quick question, my iphone 5 is about 3 weeks old now since I received it from buying online, however for the last 2 weeks there has been a dead pixel near the middle of the screen and for the most it's ok, but I know it's there and on bright games I can see it and starts to make me think about it.

Is it possible to give an apple store a visit and get a replacement? it's only one pixel but at the same time it's in the worst place and for £600 I expect a lasting phone.

Get it replaced.

CrankyJay

Banned

Jonogunn

I won't be able to get to town until monday but it should still be in the 30 days from when they posted the phone to me, best print off my receipts.

You actually don't even need to bring a receipt. Apple's customer care is awesome that way.

You do have to go online to book an appointment with the Genius Bar first. Can't just walk in.

They will definitely replace your phone on the spot without hassle.

Bought a 5 from Best Buy with the $25 card last Friday. Can't believe only a couple days later they upped it to $50 :lol

So I have a dumb question. I unlocked my 4 through ATT (and received the "congrats you're unlocked" message in iTunes), wiped the phone, removed the SIM, etc etc, and I'm going to sell it. Is there any way for me to check that the phone will definitely work? I'm not sure what the process is like when you're buying/activating a used (and unlocked) phone.

LCfiner

Why is Apple already discounting the iPhone 5?

we don't know that they are. the retailers are making some discounts (relatively small ones, in my mind) but we don't know if Apple is cutting the price it sells the phone to the retailer/ carrier (I doubt it, to be honest)

Natiko

Banned
Yeah me and my girlfriend went out and got iPhone 5's at Best Buy last night. They price matched Walmart's $127 for us too.

You actually don't even need to bring a receipt. Apple's customer care is awesome that way.

You do have to go online to book an appointment with the Genius Bar first. Can't just walk in.

They will definitely replace your phone on the spot without hassle.

ah ok will do so tonight then.

Talon

we don't know that they are. the retailers are making some discounts (relatively small ones, in my mind) but we don't know if Apple is cutting the price it sells the phone to the retailer/ carrier (I doubt it, to be honest)
Walmart did these same sales last year - so, occam's razor would seem to suggest that it's the retailer acting on its own.

Vire

Anyone living in South Florida that can recommend a carrier?

I've had nothing but problems with AT&T and I can't make phone calls from inside my house.

I'm thinking about doing that Walmart deal and switching, but not sure to who.

Carriers are really working overtime to get people on 2 year contracts eh?

I bought my phone outright and have a current O2 £15.50 sim only 12 month contract which covers all I need, rather good plan. I nearly upgraded my old galaxy ace into an iphone with O2 with an 18 or 24 month plan but it ends up costing about £300 more in the long run.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The headphones I got with mine short out when the piece that connects to the plug gets bent. Verizon says I have to go through Apple, but they don't think it is a defect.

Sushigod7

Take it in for sure, my wife and I both bought new iphone 5's last month her speaker didn't work out of the box. Took it in the next day they swapped it within 30min good to go.

Mr.Fresh

GAF serious question here. I wanna get my mom and iPhone 4 or 4S for Christmas but her upgrade isn't until January. Is there a way I could talk Verizon into letting her upgrade a month early? Is there any other way to get a cheap 4 / 4S?

Jonogunn

GAF serious question here. I wanna get my mom and iPhone 4 or 4S for Christmas but her upgrade isn't until January. Is there a way I could talk Verizon into letting her upgrade a month early? Is there any other way to get a cheap 4 / 4S?

iPhone 4's go for cheap on craigslist now. You can probably find one for like 200 or less

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Went into the Apple store today to try out the iPhone 5 for the first time.

LlRXI.gif

10 more days! :D

Vyer

Okay, so I'm about to go and get a smartphone today. First smartphone I'll ever own.

Right now, and because my carrier (Cricket) is limited to them, I'm on the fence between the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy S III. Now I hate when people go "TELL ME WHY I SHULD BY THIS" but as someone who only knows about the smartphone stuff, but has never really experienced it on a daily basis, why would you tell me to pick up an iPhone 5 over the GSIII, or the other way around?

If what's most important to you is customization, tinkering with wallpaper and home screens and widgets and the like, go S3. The ability to set default apps is also a big advantage.

Otherwise, iPhone 5 is also a very good choice. Great app selections (even including apps from Google and Microsoft), great media selections (I can stream music from ITunes Match, Amazon or even Google music if I want, iTunes video content updates stuff like TV shows quickly and movie options are better in my experience), great for gaming, great hardware, good battery life, great accessory support, updates when released.

Of course, you have maybe already bought something by now so congrats either way. Either one is a good option.

Agent_J

I'm scared to death to go caseless. I drop my dumbphone way too much. Luckily that thing is seemingly indestructible.

speaking as someone that had rocked a caseless white 3GS, black 4, and white 4S, scratches don't come easy. it's much easier to see them on the black iphone, too.

but if you ever drop your phone, i highly suggest a soft case for protection. your screen will crack and/or shatter.

mollipen

So, I'm a little tempted by that Walmart price on the iPhone 5, but have a question.

We currently have two phones: an iPhone 3G, and an iPhone 4S. The 3G is not under contract, the 4S is. I'd want the 5, and then my 4S could replace the 3G. If we upgrade to 3G to a 5 for that price, could I then just swap SIMs between the 4S and the new 5 and call it a day?

lupinko

So, I'm a little tempted by that Walmart price on the iPhone 5, but have a question.

We currently have two phones: an iPhone 3G, and an iPhone 4S. The 3G is not under contract, the 4S is. I'd want the 5, and then my 4S could replace the 3G. If we upgrade to 3G to a 5 for that price, could I then just swap SIMs between the 4S and the new 5 and call it a day?

You'll need a sim cutter to cut the micro sim of the 4s into a nano sim if you want to reuse the same SIM card. You can get those off amazon, or just get a new sim from your carrier and let itunes or iCloud do the restore to your iPhone 5.

To make a long story short I cracked the top glass on the back of my Verizon iPhone 5 - camera and flash appear to both function but it's unsightly. If I take it to an Apple store will they swap it out for me?

To make a long story short I cracked the top glass on the back of my Verizon iPhone 5 - camera and flash appear to both function but it's unsightly. If I take it to an Apple store will they swap it out for me?

No chance unless with Applecare.

You're going to have to pay the replacement fee.

SeanR1221

You'll need a sim cutter to cut the micro sim of the 4s into a nano sim if you want to reuse the same SIM card. You can get those off amazon, or just get a new sim from your carrier and let itunes or iCloud do the restore to your iPhone 5.

I used a pair of crappy scissors when I cut my micro sim.

Vyer

Officially: no. Not for free anyway, especially if you don't have apple care. Well, even with apple care its 50 bucks to do it.

But, it might be worth a shot anyway to make an appointment at the Apple Store. There's always the chance they might help you out. My iPad screen once got scratched up and they actually did a 'one time replacement' for free. So you never know. Just don't expect it.

Were you case less?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Battery life on this thing is disappointing. Noticeably shorter than my two year old 4.

This was why I returned it and went back to my 4. But now that stupid Walmart sale is tempting me, esp. if it's a sale on the 64GB version, 'cause I'd love to replace my iPod classic which these days runs frustratingly slow. >>;

Lima

Makes me wonder if they sacrificed some battery life for a lighter/thinner phone or if it's additional software elements of iOS6/LTE that is causing this.

Well the battery of the 4S was worse than the 4. Now the 5 has slightly better battery life than the 4S but the 4 is still better. We are talking about an hour or two though max.

Tinabina

Hey guys, I haven't read much of this thread and was wondering if anyone else is have cell/Internet problems. I haven't even had this phone for a month yet and I randomly lose cell service and it connects to edge a lot. My sister who has the iPhone 4 will be sitting right next to me with 3G and i'll have edge or just no service at all and we both have AT&T.

MRORANGE

Over a month with this thing and my biggest problem is getting a signal, I tried swapping my sim and it's still an issue. It's silly that my 5 year old phone can pick up calls in the most rural parts of London while my iPhone struggles to get a signal in the heart to of London.

123rl

Over a month with this thing and my biggest problem is getting a signal, I tried swapping my sim and it's still an issue. It's silly that my 5 year old phone can pick up calls in the most rural parts of London while my iPhone struggles to get a signal in hear to of London.

Which network?

Top Bottom