• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

I have a 4s. It's a great phone. It has 64 gigs, hold everything.

Only two things I really dislike about it;

its so small. Despite the good keyboard it is hard for me to have a good web browsing experience on.

I hate Itunes. I disliked it before but the newest update is.. I hate it so much. it forces me to sync my entire library of content to my phone, constantly gives me errors. I HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT. for 4 hours I just tried to get my playlist on the phone and nothing else. but no matter which boxes i ticked or unticked it would not let me only pick what I wanted.

edit: oh yeah. question was. Would Iphone 5 give me a better web experience or is the extra size neglible? Maybe what I need is something like a 5'' inch tablet with more with. I could also go with a Ipad Mini. but I would need to get one with a data plan. fuck.

Anyone rocking a Switcheasy Tone case? I picked one up as a Christmas gift for my brother's wife after seeing (and being embarrassed by, heh) the $3 piece of junk she had on her iPhone 5. The Wirecutter (AKA Brian Lam) seemed to love it, so that coupled with an in-stock status on Amazon was mostly enough for me! I go commando on mine so was just wondering if people were of the same mind as Brian.

Prezhulio

update to my battery woes from yesterday....used my phone a LOT more already than yesterday and currently at 80% battery. wtf. VERY pleased with the battery life if this is going to be the norm, like a 50% improvement over my 4 which was already totally reasonable.

EDIT: ok what in the fuck. i just checked the phone (it's been twenty minutes) and it's gone down to 72%. 8% battery when i didnt even touch the damn thing?! somethings up still it seems.

looking at the post below me, maybe i'm experiencing this problem. at my desk i see the LTE change to a "o" for a minute or so and then to 3g momentarily, and then back to LTE. i mean depending where i am in my building (it's pretty big), it's usually pretty strong LTE signal but maybe i should turn off LTE while i'm at work period.

mrkgoo

Just a note about battery life: it's very hard to figure it based off one usage run.

I've listed many factors in a previous post, but I feel that there are even more factors, such as how you charge it as well. The percentage indicator is just an estimate, I assume, based off a current or something. It can be inaccurate. The icon showing a bar kind of misleads you I to conceptualising battery as a bucket, which you fill, but it doesn't work like that. There's no 'half battery'.

My point is that usage is most definitely not linear. I've seen half an hour of usage drop no percent and also 20% doing not so different tasks. I've seen percentage go UP when not charging (like I was on 99%, and after turning off and on again it changed to 100%). We already know that charging is not linear, as it charges much faster at low percentages and takes longer for the last bit.

No doubt there are messed up batteries out there, but I would imagine they're very rare, with most working within spec. My wife and I bought iphone5s around the same time and we get very similar battery life so rather than thinking that we both got duds, I'd say we probably both got normal ones. I'd say we get 5 hours usage per day if we used it a lot.

lupinko

What I noticed is that the first few days I had the iPhone 5, the battery life was beyond terrible, but after a couple of full recharges and some tweaks to certain settings such as location finder stuff, my battery life with LTE is more or less like my old iPhone 4, actually better than my iPhone 4, well better than the iPhone 4 using iOS6 at least if memory serves me right anyway.

Karish

Anyone here have that paint fading issue? I actually got my iPhone 5 late, like, November, and I'm already having noticeable paint fade issues on that back :(

ecurbj

Yup. Mistake? :-(
Yeah man. Huge mistake but I'm sure you didn't know. The black version is covered in oxidizing paint. So it's not really black per se. So it will suffer from chips and the paint falling off. The white iPhone 5 doesn't. It's white and the back and sides is straight metal.

I have a white iPhone 5 and can rock it naked without worrying about the scuff that happens to the black iPhone 5.

Sucks bro :/

lupinko

Yeah man. Huge mistake but I'm sure you didn't know. The black version is covered in oxidizing paint. So it's not really black per se. So it will suffer from chips and the paint falling off. The white iPhone 5 doesn't. It's white and the back and sides is straight metal.

I have a white iPhone 5 and can rock it naked without worrying about the scuff that happens to the black iPhone 5.

Actually the white one is known to get scuffs too since the silver portions are annodized aluminium as well. This was known for awhile since peak of scuffgate.

Anyway the black one is fine, as for the other poster could just be manufacturing QA issue on yours.

ecurbj

My white iPhone 5 came out perfectly. It's naked with no case and I haven't encountered these scuffs.

The black is more prone to scuffs than the white. That's the point I was trying to make.

Vyer

Just upgraded from 3G to 5 yesterday thanks to the Walmart sale. However, I have an unusual situation I'd like to ask about. Basically, when trying to purchase the phone, the sales clerk ran into some issues trying to set up my plan and was forced to call AT&T directly. We were on hold for about 40 mins, and by the time we actually spoke to an AT&T rep, the clerk's computer had logged her out. AT&T set up my phone, but getting logged out screwed something up on Walmart's end and they were unable to print out an actual contract. At the time I didn't think much of it...I was just ready to get out of there.

Now, I'm regretting not getting anything in writing. According the AT&T rep we spoke to, the details of my old plan remain unchanged. To those who have gotten phones at Walmart- what exactly do those contracts say/mean since Walmart isn't the actual service provider? Should I go back and try to get an actual printed contract from them?

You probably would have aboard time getting Walmart to reprint everything. Might be worth it to go to AT&T website and log into/sign up for your online account management. You could look up all the details of your plan there.

Guys I got my upgrade 5 this week. Really happy with it but already 4-5 times the phone has randomly rebooted.

Can this be caused by an app or firmware?

I would maybe do a restore first. If that doesn't help I'd take it in to an Apple Store.

Husker86

Anyone here have that paint fading issue? I actually got my iPhone 5 late, like, November, and I'm already having noticeable paint fade issues on that back :(

On the back? I've been naked since launch and the back and sides are fine. The only thing to worry about (on both black and white) are the chamfered edges.

Have you tried wiping the back over where you think it's "fading"?

mrkgoo

On the back? I've been naked since launch and the back and sides are fine. The only thing to worry about (on both black and white) are the chamfered edges.

Have you tried wiping the back over where you think it's "fading"?

I've been naked too with the black one. The only cosmetic thing I get concerned with is dust hitting up the earpiece grill.

Oh and there's the most minute of gaps as the glass mount doesn't fit PERFECTLY with the metal frame, so there's a small thin gap that can also accumulate dust. But no blemishes to the aluminum body yet.

I'm actually surprised.

Jonogunn

Hey guys is there a gesture based app for my iphone. Since i switch from android , I am so used to swipe.

Please help. thanks

Nope. Stock keyboard is all you get. Ios is different from android in that it doesn't allow 3rd party apps to tamper with the OS in anyway.

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone has tried out one of the Spigen bumper cases. I haven't bought the iPhone 5 yet but since they are $50 - $70 off this month chances are I will be getting one soon, and I was looking at cases to get.

Normally I dont use cases, I just go with a protective film on the front and back to prevent scratches (yes despite what some people think gorilla glass can be scratched). However after reading about scuffgate and the fact that I probably will not be in a position to upgrade to the next iPhone I am interested in getting a case to keep this one in top shape for as long as possible.

I'm thinking that a bumper case would be just fine, chances are if I drop it then its going to land on an edge so a bumper case with a protective film on the front and back should keep the phone in mint condition and not take much away from the look and feel of the iPhone. I was looking at these Spigen bumper cases, I like the ones that have a silicon inner part and then the hard plastic outter rim, they look pretty nice and it seems like having the softer inner part would be more effective for protection:

http://www.spigen.com/cell-phone/apple-iphone/iphone-5/iphone-5-case-neo-hybrid-ex-slim-metal.html

ive watched a couple video reviews on youtube and they seem happy with them, but I was wondering if anyone here that has tried them out could give me their impressions and possibly some pictures of it on your iPhone. They are kind of expensive compared to some other cases so I would like to make sure i'd be happy with one before taking the plunge

mrkgoo

My wife has a white iPhone 5 with a case and I have a black one with nothing and ironically, she is the one with a scratch and scuff on the aluminium (around the volume controls).

mrkgoo

Every now and again I pause and just marvel at the design. Relatively speaking, the iPhone5 felt very light when I first held it, but being used to it now it does have a certain heft to it.

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone has tried out one of the Spigen bumper cases. I haven't bought the iPhone 5 yet but since they are $50 - $70 off this month chances are I will be getting one soon, and I was looking at cases to get.

ive watched a couple video reviews on youtube and they seem happy with them, but I was wondering if anyone here that has tried them out could give me their impressions and possibly some pictures of it on your iPhone. They are kind of expensive compared to some other cases so I would like to make sure i'd be happy with one before taking the plunge

Heres some impressions on it:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1499843

How is everybody's battery life after the 6.0.2 update?

I used my phone at work, texting..browsing...etc, on wifi the whole time and I only went down to 92% battery.

Ashhong

Well I have decided that gmail exchange is better tha the gmail app. I hate how slow the gmail app is. I don't want to wait for my messages to load as I scroll down. Mail is much much better

Husker86

Well I have decided that gmail exchange is better tha the gmail app. I hate how slow the gmail app is. I don't want to wait for my messages to load as I scroll down. Mail is much much better

Yeah that's the downside as the Gmail app doesn't push the mail, just the notifications. Unfortunately that will never change.

I've still switched from the stock mail app though as I find jumping around folders to be quicker and threaded messages better in the Gmail app.

Ashhong

Threaded messages are indeed quicker. I don't really use gmail to communicate very often though so mail is good for me. It's mainly used for other people or companies to send me crap

undecided

My AT&T 5 seems to randomly drop the cellular network entirely, going from multiple bars to "no service" and then back after a few minutes...

DeVeAn

So have a weak wifi signal even 5 feet from my router. Apple has been jerking me around until this latest update. The update changed nothing for me. What should I do? This applecare is making jump through hoops. They really don't want to exchange my phone I guess.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

I've had a naked black 5 since launch and have no chips or scrapes. It's not that bad of an issue.

So have a weak wifi signal even 5 feet from my router. Apple has been jerking me around until this latest update. The update changed nothing for me. What should I do? This applecare is making jump through hoops. They really don't want to exchange my phone I guess.
I don't even have Applecare and I was able to exchange my phone in-store because of the same problem.

cube444

iPhone 5 Price Cuts in Canada

Rogers and TELUS have introduced some iPhone 5 sales for the holidays. Rogers is offering the 16GB iPhone 5 for $79 on a three year contract, which is a savings of $100.

TELUS is also offering the same deal on the 16GB model, but has also slashed its 32GB and 64GB models by $100 as well, all on three year contracts until Dec. 27th. Online orders have free shipping and no activation fee.

Link

Aurizen

I just ordered an iphone 5 unlocked the 18th been shipped since the 21 still waiting on it. its my 1st iphone ever, im so excited, im gonna put it on tmobile.

jts

...hate me...
Hey guys, what is that jailbreak app that allows you to swipe to use the Home button? I have a 3G with a broken home button..
Dunno if it's available on the 3G or if it just came with more recent iOS releases, but the AssistiveTouch option in the accessibility menu allows for that.

(edit: not swiping but still replacing the home button with a touch screen action)

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I know this is not the right topic, but it has do with iPhones. My sister is getting an iPhone 4 for Christmas, but the problem is that her USB port is broken on her laptop. It appears to be a hardware problem (it's really loose and Windows doesn't detect it).

I don't know how this works, exactly, but can we sync to another computer, copy some kind of file or something including her iPhone information to her computer, and use it to sync through Wifi? Does that make sense? I know you have to initially connect your iPhone to a computer to set up WiFi syncing, but basically can I get her computer to sync with her iPhone through Wifi without the use of a USB port?

Thanks!

Mairu

Can anyone recommend a good car mount? I had one I was using that I just bought from some car accessory store in SF but the piece that holds the phone just snapped off :(

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Second question, will I have any trouble setting up and activating my iPhone tomorrow (Christmas)? I have no idea about this stuff. I'll be transferring between phones and will have the same number.

Jonogunn

I know this is not the right topic, but it has do with iPhones. My sister is getting an iPhone 4 for Christmas, but the problem is that her USB port is broken on her laptop. It appears to be a hardware problem (it's really loose and Windows doesn't detect it).

I don't know how this works, exactly, but can we sync to another computer, copy some kind of file or something including her iPhone information to her computer, and use it to sync through Wifi? Does that make sense? I know you have to initially connect your iPhone to a computer to set up WiFi syncing, but basically can I get her computer to sync with her iPhone through Wifi without the use of a USB port?

Thanks!

So is she activating this phone for the first time? Or are you wanting to restore from her previous iPhone backup on to the iPhone 4?

Top Bottom