• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

123rl

Have you tried switching it Orange and see if that helps? Take off automatic network selection and see if it show up. I used to be with Orange but stayed on T-Mobile's network most of the time as it was much better

MRORANGE

Have you tried switching it Orange and see if that helps? Take off automatic network selection and see if it show up. I used to be with Orange but stayed on T-Mobile's network most of the time as it was much better

I'll try that tomorrow. and on Tuesday and see if it helps.

lucius

So Siri is useful setting multiple alarms much easier, but snooze is on by default so you always have to swipe to stop instead of just hitting top button or it keeps repeating which can be a pain at times like when driving. Is there anyway to get it to not auto turn on snooze?

Setting alarms in the past on my original iPhone and iPhone 4 I would just turn off snooze since I was in menu already, but now with Siri snooze should not be on default imo

Talon

Isn't the LTE chip supposed to be a big drain?
Actually, not anymore. Qualcomm got 3G/LTE on the same chip, and it's pretty power efficient.

I get about 10 hours usage with normal notifications and all. I gained 2 hours by quitting ActiveSync for Gmail and just using the Gmail app.

DarkJC

They've said it's a record for sales in China.

Also, for those speculating that the thin phone means worse battery -- the size of the battery is essentially the same as the one in the 4S (actually it stores a tiny bit more power).

A bigger screen and a dual core A6 chip are going to eat more power than the single core A4 (for those comparing to their iPhone 4) -- it's as simple as that. Battery technology does not move at the same speed as chip technology.

jts

...hate me...
They've said it's a record for sales in China.

Also, for those speculating that the thin phone means worse battery -- the size of the battery is essentially the same as the one in the 4S (actually it stores a tiny bit more power).

A bigger screen and a dual core A6 chip are going to eat more power than the single core A4 (for those comparing to their iPhone 4) -- it's as simple as that. Battery technology does not move at the same speed as chip technology.
Well, chip technology also contributes to energy efficiency and the A6 is built in a 32nm process while the A4 was 45nm... and the architecture is different as well. There's also other technologies evolving that contribute to better battery life, like display tech and data transfer speeds (faster = better) and power management software.

I'm saying all this because my opinion has been the opposite... I felt the battery life improving from the 4 to the 5. But maybe my 4's battery wasn't in its best shape.

Mairu

Well, chip technology also contributes to energy efficiency and the A6 is built in a 32nm process while the A4 was 45nm... and the architecture is different as well. There's also other technologies evolving that contribute to better battery life, like display tech and data transfer speeds (faster = better) and power management software.

I'm saying all this because my opinion has been the opposite... I felt the battery life improving from the 4 to the 5. But maybe my 4's battery wasn't in its best shape.

I went from the 4 to the 5 and I can't really say one way or another whether it's better or worse. Seems about the same to me

jts

...hate me...
I went from the 4 to the 5 and I can't really say one way or another whether it's better or worse. Seems about the same to me
Well, it is about the same for me too, but in some instances I forgot or couldn't charge my phone during the night and usually I make it through the day, the thing seems to hold on more tightly to that last residue of juice, as if it consumes a lot less power when idle.

Also is there anyone else under the impression that it charges a really good tad quicker too? If so, that is important as well.

This. The whole reason battery essentially improved with the bigger screen and LTE is because of the chip. Dual core does not = more power.

There are many more factors. The A6 chip uses less power than the A5 which is why the iPhone 5 gets better battery than I've ever had on an iPhone. I charge mine every other day unless I have heavy usage. Something I've never been able to do.

Agent_J

i have a quick question about the notification center. is there a non-jailbreak way of adding a seach bar? something similar to the 'tap to post', maybe a 'tap to search'?

what i'm talking about:
photo.PNG

matt360

Well, it is about the same for me too, but in some instances I forgot or couldn't charge my phone during the night and usually I make it through the day, the things seems to hold on more tightly to that last residue of juice, as if it consumes a lot less power when idle.

Also is there anyone else under the impression that it charges a really good tad quicker too? If so, that is important as well.

I've definitely noticed that it charges quicker than any iPhone I've had in the past. But unfortunately, my iPhone 5 battery is garbage. My two year old iPhone 4 lasts longer.

Over a month with this thing and my biggest problem is getting a signal, I tried swapping my sim and it's still an issue. It's silly that my 5 year old phone can pick up calls in the most rural parts of London while my iPhone struggles to get a signal in the heart to of London.
I get the same, my galaxy ace was really good at grabbing a strong signal while my 5 gets half bars in the same places, not a very good antenna.

LCfiner

i have a quick question about the notification center. is there a non-jailbreak way of adding a seach bar? something similar to the 'tap to post', maybe a 'tap to search'?

what i'm talking about:
photo.PNG

I can't see your pic but maybe spotlight can do what you want? I know it can search the web if you enter a search term.

It's fairly easy to get to spotlight although its not embedded in NC

Pachimari

I just reset my phone and I did not see any green.

It's not normal, but it seems to be a known problem :

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4368068?start=15&tstart=0

I get it intermittently on mine too. Going into the local Apple store later on today to speak to them about it. When of course it won't happen when I try to demonstrate the problem :(
We don't have an Apple store in my country, I wonder if I should get it repaired.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Hey guys, I haven't read much of this thread and was wondering if anyone else is have cell/Internet problems. I haven't even had this phone for a month yet and I randomly lose cell service and it connects to edge a lot. My sister who has the iPhone 4 will be sitting right next to me with 3G and i'll have edge or just no service at all and we both have AT&T.

AT&T is awful, get out of your contract the next opportunity you get.

RDreamer

Hey guys, I haven't read much of this thread and was wondering if anyone else is have cell/Internet problems. I haven't even had this phone for a month yet and I randomly lose cell service and it connects to edge a lot. My sister who has the iPhone 4 will be sitting right next to me with 3G and i'll have edge or just no service at all and we both have AT&T.

This happens to my wife and I. She's got a 4S, and I have a 4. I'll have absolutely no service in some places and she'll have 4 bars and good internet. What's even weirder is that one of the places specifically is a used book store we've gone to for a while and I used to get service there. Not anymore, and it pisses me off.

Other thing that pisses me off: AT&T started throttling me after 3GB on my unlimited plan. Part of me wants to bitch them out and get out of the contract, but I doubt anyone else is all that much better. I could get an iphone 5 on sale and I guess they only throttle you after 5 GB, then.

Meantime

It's not normal, but it seems to be a known problem :

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4368068?start=15&tstart=0

I get it intermittently on mine too. Going into the local Apple store later on today to speak to them about it. When of course it won't happen when I try to demonstrate the problem :(

Just got back from the Apple store. They gave me a new phone, despite the problem not showing up when I was trying to demonstrate it, as predicted. I showed the assistant this video and said "it's like that" :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJNzoltlpFs&feature=youtu.be

The new one seems fine so far.

Talon

Does anyone have an issue where it uses your data while in sleep mode? I'll press the power button to wake it up and the icon goes from LTE to wifi
That's supposed to happen. If the device isn't using any data at the moment, it jumps off from the wifi network.

If they device is using data, then it will continue using the wifi.

The way I understand it is that it's cosmetic more than anything when it comes to actual usage.

That's supposed to happen. If the device isn't using any data at the moment, it jumps off from the wifi network.

If they device is using data, then it will continue using the wifi.

The way I understand it is that it's cosmetic more than anything when it comes to actual usage.

Ah okay thanks.

Now that I lost my unlimited data from Verizon I've been super paranoid about my data usage lol.

Prezhulio

first work day with my iphone 5 after getting one on saturday....yeesh the battery is terrible in it's first go with a comparable regular day.

I have picked it up for about 10 text messages and one googling (less than 5 minutes long) in the past 8 hours and it's at 3% battery, starting at 92%. even on a heavy usage work day (at least an hour of internet use over 9 hours) i never saw below 40% battery remaining on my iphone 4. all the push and mail retrieval settings are the same, disappointing so far. is 4g supposed to be a big drain?

on the plus side, i jumped ship from at&t (even with my grandfathered unlimited internet throttling was a constant issue) to sprint and am pleasantly surprised with the speed and lte availability in indianapolis.

first work day with my iphone 5 after getting one on saturday....yeesh the battery is terrible in it's first go with a comparable regular day.

I have picked it up for about 10 text messages and one googling (less than 5 minutes long) in the past 8 hours and it's at 3% battery, starting at 92%. even on a heavy usage work day (at least an hour of internet use over 9 hours) i never saw below 40% battery remaining on my iphone 4. all the push and mail retrieval settings are the same, disappointing so far. is 4g supposed to be a big drain?

Wow really? I started out the day with 80%, did some Pandora listening, watched a youtube video, internet browsing, sent some text messages and now I'm at 36%. My Rezound would have to be kept on the charger at work.

Also try conditioning the battery and letting it die completely before recharging it.

Ashhong

on the plus side, i jumped ship from at&t (even with my grandfathered unlimited internet throttling was a constant issue) to sprint and am pleasantly surprised with the speed and lte availability in indianapolis.

This is obviously not the norm for the battery. Restore that bitch from scratch. Do you have constant 4G signal?

Husker86

Well, that's not normal.

I use my phone much more than that (most of work day on podcast/audiobook with texts and such scattered) and usually have 65-75% when I get home.

Did you have iTunes Match downloading songs the whole day or something?

Prezhulio

This is obviously not the norm for the battery. Restore that bitch from scratch. Do you have constant 4G signal?

i mean it came new out of box on saturday and i restored my icloud backup, is it even possible that a restore could do anything for me? i mean if it's a possibility i will, but what are other possible battery drains i could be missing? don't really feel like doing the 2-3 hours of setup i had after restoring my icloud backup if i don't have to.

yeah at work i have constant lte.

Well, that's not normal.

I use my phone much more than that (most of work day on podcast/audiobook with texts and such scattered) and usually have 65-75% when I get home.

Did you have iTunes Match downloading songs the whole day or something?

nothing background downloading that i know of. i have 3 podcast subscriptions but i checked and the only 3 that downloaded were the ones when i set it up on sunday.

Ashhong

i mean it came new out of box on saturday and i restored my icloud backup, is it even possible that a restore could do anything for me? i mean if it's a possibility i will, but what are other possible battery drains i could be missing? don't really feel like doing the 2-3 hours of setup i had after restoring my icloud backup if i don't have to.

yeah at work i have constant lte.

nothing background downloading that i know of. i have 3 podcast subscriptions but i checked and the only 3 that downloaded were the ones when i set it up on sunday.

Yes it's entirely possible that an entirely new restore from scratch could fix some problems. If that doesn't, then you need to return it.

TheMan

Just upgraded from 3G to 5 yesterday thanks to the Walmart sale. However, I have an unusual situation I'd like to ask about. Basically, when trying to purchase the phone, the sales clerk ran into some issues trying to set up my plan and was forced to call AT&T directly. We were on hold for about 40 mins, and by the time we actually spoke to an AT&T rep, the clerk's computer had logged her out. AT&T set up my phone, but getting logged out screwed something up on Walmart's end and they were unable to print out an actual contract. At the time I didn't think much of it...I was just ready to get out of there.

Now, I'm regretting not getting anything in writing. According the AT&T rep we spoke to, the details of my old plan remain unchanged. To those who have gotten phones at Walmart- what exactly do those contracts say/mean since Walmart isn't the actual service provider? Should I go back and try to get an actual printed contract from them?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Guys I got my upgrade 5 this week. Really happy with it but already 4-5 times the phone has randomly rebooted.

Can this be caused by an app or firmware?

Can someone give me a good refresher on tips for using the iPhone abroad with an international data plan? It's been 2.5 years since I brought an iPhone abroad (I'm pretty stoked that the same $60 I paid in 2010 now gets me 300MB of data instead of 50MB) and I'm trying to remember everything I did back then. I don't think Push notifications existed on that version of iOS.

The most obvious thing I remember is to set email to fetch manually, but I don't see how I can completely disable all notification center apps en masse. Actually, the apps "not in notification center" seem to still send me daily pushes (like Groupon and LivingSocial). I think I also need to disable iMessaging to save data as well.

I'm going to stay in Airplane mode except when using roaming data and GPS, but I believe last time I also found a way to lookup my voicemail number and forwarded all of my calls to it, and then had AT&T disable voicemail on my account so that when I came out of Airplane mode the phone didn't download any voicemails from my account.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
Apparently AT&T turned on LTE for my city last night. Barely noticed it this morning. Soooo stoked.

Top Bottom