• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Ashhong

Second question, will I have any trouble setting up and activating my iPhone tomorrow (Christmas)? I have no idea about this stuff. I'll be transferring between phones and will have the same number.

I'm not sure if the iPhone 4 can do wireless syncing, but if u copy the iTunes library files over from one computer to another, it should work...I think.

And it depends on what phone ull be transferring from

Dunk#7

I cannot believe that I have owned an iPhone since June 2009, and I am just discovering that the volume buttons can be used as the shutter button when taking pictures.

Has this always been a feature or was it added with some release of the OS?

Plasmid

I cannot believe that I have owned an iPhone since June 2009, and I am just discovering that the volume buttons can be used as the shutter button when taking pictures.

Has this always been a feature or was it added with some release of the OS?

Came with iOS 6 i think? I remember there was an app on the app store that was eventually taken down because it did the volume button shutter thing.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Got a black 64gb iphone 5 for Christmas after suffering the Droid X for two years.

I have no idea whats going on.

Jonogunn

First time activation. She has an iPod Classic, and she just wants her music library on there.

Ahh well hopefully the iPhone is already on ios 5 or up that way she can do all the activation setup right on her phone without a pc.

In terms of copying her music over there's no other way than USB. Wifi sync works but 90% of the time it doesn't and I believe you need to plug it in to the PC at least once to set it up.

whoa, got almost 12 hours of battery time this time around. over 3 days standby time.

i let my phone die completely before i put it on charge. before i was getting around 9-10 hours but now i can easily get up to 12. pretty awesome.

ecurbj

whoa, got almost 12 hours of battery time this time around. over 3 days standby time.

i let my phone die completely before i put it on charge. before i was getting around 9-10 hours but now i can easily get up to 12. pretty awesome.
What exactly was you settings configured to and what were you using the iPhone for? Were you text messaging the whole time? surfing the web? LTE turned off? This is the question many would like to know when others post battery time.

mrkgoo

What exactly was you settings configured to and what were you using the iPhone for? Were you text messaging the whole time? surfing the web? LTE turned off? This is the question many would like to know when others post battery time.

I'm guessing a large portion was just listening to audio.

oops that would be valuable information.

i had LTE off for the most part, brightness around 30% with bluetooth off.

did heavy texting, AIM & web browsing, very light youtubing, lots of twitter, flipboard, facebook, instagram, evernote, email, spotify / music listening. did some light gaming & some phone calls here and there too. ive also downloaded and opened up various apps trying to find new stuff.

i also removed notifications for a lot of my apps since i was getting far too many so im not sure if that contributed anything.

Husker86

Been trying out the Lifeproof case for a bit now. I don't know if I'm going to keep it.

It would be great for when I go on ATV trips where there is sand everywhere (usually swap SIM to one of my older phones), but I don't know if I like it on full-time; if I only used it part-time I don't know if I can justify the $80 price.

That built in screen protector (which is obviously the only way a case like this could work) is incredibly annoying.

For the record I'm a pretty big anti-case person, this one just intrigued me because of how much it actually protects from.

Can someone point me in the direction of the App recommendation thread? Or can someone tell me what the best, free document viewer is on iPhone? All I want to do is have an FAQ stored locally for a plane ride.

edit: I have FileApp but it's pretty clunky.

thomaser

I got an Ipad 4 32GB for Christmas, but don't really need it. I need a new phone, however, so I want to exchange it for an Iphone 5. I've never used an Iphone before, so is there anything I should be aware of before exchanging? Wait or do it now, for example?

I have computers with Win7 both at home and at work. My main uses for the phone will be:
- Calling and texting
- Using Microsoft Onenote. There's an app for that, right? Is it good?
- GPS for driving. I get that the map software Apple uses is pretty bad, so I'll probably just continue using my standard GPS for now.
- Taking pics and video for my work's Facebook/Yammer.
- Looking at my bank accounts.
- Email. Can I sync it with my Outlook accounts both at home and at work? Alternatively only the work account?

Nori Chan

Most of those questions will vary depending on what bank, service provider, email, and other stuff.

They do have a google maps app now so as for those who didn't like the stock map app, you can use that one. I honestly have no problem with it. Maybe I don't know what the problem is other people are having about it, but it gets me to where I want to go with no hassle.

Vyer

I have computers with Win7 both at home and at work. My main uses for the phone will be:
- Calling and texting
- GPS for driving. I get that the map software Apple uses is pretty bad, so I'll probably just continue using my standard GPS for now.
- Email. Can I sync it with my Outlook accounts both at home and at work? Alternatively only the work account?

-There is an official One Note app, but I haven't used it.
-There are also other GPS options if you find Maps doesn't work for you, including Google Maps.
-No problems with pictures/video, lots of Facebook integration for sharing as well.
-What kind of email accounts do you have? You can sync Exchange accounts for work, including Contacts and Calendars. You can also have multiple Exchange accounts.

thomaser

-What kind of email accounts do you have? You can sync Exchange accounts for work, including Contacts and Calendars. You can also have multiple Exchange accounts.

We don't use Exchange at work. We have Microsoft 365, however, and I can't make heads or tails of it. Got it to sync contacts and calendars at home and at work, but it introduced all kinds of problems with email rules, so I had to disable it. I won't shit up this thread with my email adventures, though :)

I'll just get the Iphone and try to work things out. Thanks for the replies.

bonesquad

As noted there is a Onenote app, but it's not very good. It's not even iPhone 5 enabled. At best it's functional. I'm a big fan of Onenote, but I just sync one notebook with my phone where I put info I know I'll need. Otherwise I use Evernote.

And as also noted, Google maps is now out for iOS and it's excellent.

thomaser

As noted there is a Onenote app, but it's not very good. It's not even iPhone 5 enabled. At best it's functional. I'm a big fan of Onenote, but I just sync one notebook with my phone where I put info I know I'll need. Otherwise I use Evernote.

Ok, thanks. I only need it to consult basic to-do lists, shopping lists and so on, and one or two password-protected pages. Perhaps a few linked excel-documents, if that's possible.

Vyer

We don't use Exchange at work. We have Microsoft 365, however, and I can't make heads or tails of it. Got it to sync contacts and calendars at home and at work, but it introduced all kinds of problems with email rules, so I had to disable it. I won't shit up this thread with my email adventures, though :)

I'll just get the Iphone and try to work things out. Thanks for the replies.

Hmm. For what it's worth, one of our clients recently switched to 365 for their hosted Exchange, and the auto discover worked perfectly with the iPhone. Email and password and the account was added.

Oxn

So Im probably gonna sell my absolutely mint condition iphone 5 in a week or 2.

Tell me what I need to know to get it ready for sale.

(How to wipe everything and etc)

Clipse

Are scuffs/scratches right out of the box still a problem for the black iPhone 5's? Haven't heard much of scuffgate since release week.

So Im probably gonna sell my absolutely mint condition iphone 5 in a week or 2.

Tell me what I need to know to get it ready for sale.

(How to wipe everything and etc)

Somewhere in settings you can reset the phone to factory condition, I think that is all you need to do, it's all an apple tech guy did for me when I had a replacement done the other week.

Ashhong

Apple maps is much better than google if it has the poi and addresses in your area. The interface for one is so much cleaner and easy to read when driving. The multiple route option is great too. I only wish for hybrid view

Oxn

I may be interested in buying a Verizon iPhone 5--what's the size?

Only 16 and its white.

Selling because my work got me an iphone lol.

Honestly, i dont know how im going to sell it yet. After reading all these ebay/amazon horror stories on buyer scammers i dunno what im gonna do yet.

Ashhong

Only 16 and its white.

Selling because my work got me an iphone lol.

Honestly, i dont know how im going to sell it yet. After reading all these ebay/amazon horror stories on buyer scammers i dunno what im gonna do yet.

Craigslist. Easy peasy

asdad123

So I picked up my GF a white iPhone 5 for christmas and its coming in tomorrow. I have no case on mine because I dont really care if I drop it/break it because I got the Apple Care+, but I know she would be devastated she dropped and broke hers.

Any recommendations for cases for her? Hoping for nothing too bulky, but still able to protect the phone.

So what are you guys thinking for the iPhone 5S/6?

NFC and better battery life?

I'm thinking better battery life maybe because of third generation LTE chips being used. And maybe Verizon wideband audio, and calling and data at the same time.

I'm thinking about upgrading for the better battery life and more importantly, giving my old iPhone 5 to my mom, who I'm going to have a hard time getting off their (now awful, IMO) iPhone 4's.

Talon

So I picked up my GF a white iPhone 5 for christmas and its coming in tomorrow. I have no case on mine because I dont really care if I drop it/break it because I got the Apple Care+, but I know she would be devastated she dropped and broke hers.

Any recommendations for cases for her? Hoping for nothing too bulky, but still able to protect the phone.
Incase Snap. Boom.

th3dude

Wife and I took our iPhones to the Verizon store yesterday to do some account related stuff.

Manager at the store sees my iPhone with Smoke Air Jacket on it and asks why I decided to brave it without a case.

I reply that there is a case on it. He looks amazed and proceeds to show all of his coworkers and asks me 5 times what it is called and where I got it.

Love that freaking case.

My iPhones just stuck on 33% battery and won't go down or up when charged. Also it won't turn off through the long press. Oh and the wifi symbol has disappeared even though it is on.

Any ideas? Just wait till it dies and hope it's fine when it powers back up?

Edit: fixed with home button and power button jobbie.

thechemist

Guys I didnt want to look through every page, so sorry if I missed this, whats the best way of transferring contacts, etc from a blackberry to iphone, via outlook, googlesync, etc?

Thanks

ecurbj

If you have a BlackBerry on Verizon. I'm sure there is an app called Backup Assistant in the BlackBerry app market that you download and it backs up all your contacts to Verizon's Cloud service. Then you download Backup Assistant in the App Store on Verizon to get all your contacts back.

That's what I did when I received my first iPhone back in May 2011.

Top Bottom