• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

thechemist

If you have a BlackBerry on Verizon. I'm sure there is an app called Backup Assistant in the BlackBerry app market that you download and it backs up all your contacts to Verizon's Cloud service. Then you download Backup Assistant in the App Store on Verizon to get all your contacts back.

That's what I did when I received my first iPhone back in May 2011.

Thank you however I am on Orange (UK).

Minamu

I don't have an iphone 5 but a 4S but I assume I can ask a simple question anyway? :) I noticed last night that the black bar at the top of the screen where the clock and battery life etc is shown isn't actually completely opaque. At least not when I'm using the browser, like right now. Has it always been like that or did I press something by accident?

I don't have an iphone 5 but a 4S but I assume I can ask a simple question anyway? :) I noticed last night that the black bar at the top of the screen where the clock and battery life etc is shown isn't actually completely opaque. At least not when I'm using the browser, like right now. Has it always been like that or did I press something by accident?

I've read this a few times now, while viewing this forum on my iPhone 5, and I still have no idea what you're talking about.

The top of the screen, where the clock and battery life is shown has always been black, since my first iPhone in 2009. It appears to be completely black to me.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Wife and I took our iPhones to the Verizon store yesterday to do some account related stuff.

Manager at the store sees my iPhone with Smoke Air Jacket on it and asks why I decided to brave it without a case.

I reply that there is a case on it. He looks amazed and proceeds to show all of his coworkers and asks me 5 times what it is called and where I got it.

Love that freaking case.

Did you go with clear?

Iacobellis

Okay, so I am some kind of dilemma. I want to sync my iCloud contacts to my Google account, but the tutorials I have found so far online only show how to do the reverse. Is this some kind of way I can do this?

Vyer

I've read this a few times now, while viewing this forum on my iPhone 5, and I still have no idea what you're talking about.

The top of the screen, where the clock and battery life is shown has always been black, since my first iPhone in 2009. It appears to be completely black to me.

Yeah, same for me. I know you could adjust a wallpaper for the home screen/lock screen into that bar, but its always black in the browser.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I've got a question... Is that issue with sprint and its 3G services for the I5 still a thing? My service lately has been quite shitty in spots that normally were great (even LTE like). Is there maybe something to look for to really spot this issue? Or are there other ways of handling this now?

Cheebo

Banned
So what are you guys thinking for the iPhone 5S/6?

NFC and better battery life?

I'm thinking better battery life maybe because of third generation LTE chips being used. And maybe Verizon wideband audio, and calling and data at the same time.

I'm thinking about upgrading for the better battery life and more importantly, giving my old iPhone 5 to my mom, who I'm going to have a hard time getting off their (now awful, IMO) iPhone 4's.

Apple does the tick-tock upgrades on their phones, by all past indications the 5S will be very similar to the 5 other than internal spec upgrades.

snack

Anyone know where I can get this wallpaper for the iPhone 5?

Screen-Shot-2012-12-26-at-6.45.49-PM.png

mrkgoo

Question. Does anyone else's GPS/location icon stay on all the time? Mine's been on for months now. Any ideas?
Go to settings - privacy - location. There t will tell you which apps are currently using location or have recently done so.

Be sure to check system services at the bottom too.

I would say there is a good chance it s a system one, but seeing as you don't know about this pane that may not be the case as you have to actively turn on the indicator for system services.

Stuff like traffic, time zine setting and ads will use your location.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Go to settings - privacy - location. There t will tell you which apps are currently using location or have recently done so.

Be sure to check system services at the bottom too.

I would say there is a good chance it s a system one, but seeing as you don't know about this pane that may not be the case as you have to actively turn on the indicator for system services.

Stuff like traffic, time zine setting and ads will use your location.

Thanks. Looks like I have a ton of apps using location. I just didn't figure they'd use it all the time.

daw840

Got an Otterbox Defender case for mine....it's big and bulky but my toddler will never fuck up my phone! I don't like the feel in my pocket though, sigh....

Ashhong

Zephyr. if you're still looking for it, anyway.

I would be if I could get this stupid iPhone out of recovery mode. I decided to restore it thinking I could use a program to get it into DFU and install a prejailbroken firmware, but now I'm just stuck in recovery with error 1015 some shit.

Bgamer90

Banned
So what are you guys thinking for the iPhone 5S/6?

NFC and better battery life?

I'm thinking better battery life maybe because of third generation LTE chips being used. And maybe Verizon wideband audio, and calling and data at the same time.

I'm thinking about upgrading for the better battery life and more importantly, giving my old iPhone 5 to my mom, who I'm going to have a hard time getting off their (now awful, IMO) iPhone 4's.

Better battery life is a given.

I don't know if we will see NFC with the iPhone 5S.

Qazaq

Banned
I'm loving the Otterbox Defender; got it off Amazon for $15.

It's like putting an armored car around my phone. I dunno why so many people are overly hung up on "sleekness" and things -- I don't consider sexiness worth the $100+ it cost to replace my smashed screen when it fell out of my pocket and the rubber case didn't do anything.

honestly I'm not sure what happened. I thought it was going to be $230 plus tax because I signed up for a new reward zone credit card which was supposed to take $20 off the price, but when he said $150 I kept my mouth shut and went with it

Bgamer90

Banned
honestly I'm not sure what happened. I thought it was going to be $230 plus tax because I signed up for a new reward zone credit card which was supposed to take $20 off the price, but when he said $150 I kept my mouth shut and went with it

Haha. I would have done the same.

But yeah, that seems very low. I think you made out.

Anyone encountered this?

I'm on Sprint and live in the Midwest. I went to Las Vegas on a trip and once i got there my cellular data speeds were total crap and half the time I got the "o" symbol instead of 3G. There were also apps that wouldn't install and since then they've been grayed out.

I've come back home, but the data rates are still rather crappy and the apps still won't update.

Anyone encountered anything like this?

LCfiner

41Hu1hl1LmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004CLYJ2I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Any impressions of this Belkin Bluetooth Car Adapter from anyone here? Looking to use this with my iPhone 4 in the car.

I have had this since October. it works pretty well.

pros:
convenience. it takes two button taps to start playing music. two taps to skip track
hold for 3 seconds to bring up siri and change albums, get navigation, etc.
handsfree phone communication

cons:

will not turn off automatically. need to hold button for 5 seconds to turn off or else light will stay on and will not change color when connecting to iPhone.
sound quality not as good as line out or headphone out. I hear some bass distortion and fuzziness where songs have lots of high volume bass beats. not much of my music is affected but some is. don't know if this is a BT limitation, though.
microphone doesn't seem to have noise cancellation so a long phone conversation on this is not great. passable but not as good as a headset.

despite the cons, I would not go back to a Line out solution where I need to take the iphone out of the pocket every time I want to start the music up plus use a separate headset for calls.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone else having issues with the "Do Not Disturb" feature today? I have mine set from 1am to 9:30am, yet it's still active now, at 11am. If I change the start from 1am to 1pm, it turns off, but it should've turned off at 9:30am this morning. What is going on?

EDIT - Just did a little test. Changed the "To" from 9:30am to something else and the moon never went away. I tried every hour, yet it never turned off. So it looks like there's a bug with the "To" setting. Wonder if it's a New Years bug?

EDIT 2 - Just checked the Apple forums, looks like other people are reporting this issue as well. Does seem to be related to the year changing as everyone who has the problem noticed it this morning. Hopefully Apple rolls out a quick fix soon.

RBH

I have had this since October. it works pretty well.

pros:
convenience. it takes two button taps to start playing music. two taps to skip track
hold for 3 seconds to bring up siri and change albums, get navigation, etc.
handsfree phone communication

cons:

will not turn off automatically. need to hold button for 5 seconds to turn off or else light will stay on and will not change color when connecting to iPhone.
sound quality not as good as line out or headphone out. I hear some bass distortion and fuzziness where songs have lots of high volume bass beats. not much of my music is affected but some is. don't know if this is a BT limitation, though.
microphone doesn't seem to have noise cancellation so a long phone conversation on this is not great. passable but not as good as a headset.

despite the cons, I would not go back to a Line out solution where I need to take the iphone out of the pocket every time I want to start the music up plus use a separate headset for calls.
Thank you for the impressions, much appreciated.

Is anyone else having issues with the "Do Not Disturb" feature today? I have mine set from 1am to 9:30am, yet it's still active now, at 11am. If I change the start from 1am to 1pm, it turns off, but it should've turned off at 9:30am this morning. What is going on?

EDIT - Just did a little test. Changed the "To" from 9:30am to something else and the moon never went away. I tried every hour, yet it never turned off. So it looks like there's a bug with the "To" setting. Wonder if it's a New Years bug?

EDIT 2 - Just checked the Apple forums, looks like other people are reporting this issue as well. Does seem to be related to the year changing as everyone who has the problem noticed it this morning. Hopefully Apple rolls out a quick fix soon.
Looks like a widespread issue:

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/01...-shutting-off-automatically-on-new-years-day/

Hoo-doo

Banned

Yes, I noticed mine was set to DND during the day when it's supposed to only activate from 1:00 to 6:00.

Just opened settings and turned it off. I do hope the feature itself isn't bugged though.

Ashhong

You signed up for a credit card for 20$ in savings??

RBH

Currently under development, traces of Apple’s new iPhone and iOS software have begun surfacing in app usage logs. Developers have contacted The Next Web to share references to a new iPhone identifier and the next big operating system update for the smartphone and tablet devices: iOS 7.

One developer showed us that Apple has been testing hardware relating to a new ‘iPhone6,1′ identifier, powered by a device running iOS 7, which is expected to be released by Apple in the middle part of this year.

Apple’s current flagship, the iPhone 5, bears the identifiers ‘iPhone5,1′ and ‘iPhone 5,2′ depending on the LTE model of the handset and the 4G bands on which it operates.

From the developer logs that we have seen, the app requests originate from an IP address on Apple’s Cupertino campus, suggesting that members of Apple’s software development and app teams are compatibility testing some of the more popular or well-known applications already on the App Store.

Although OS and device data can be faked, the unique IP footprint leading back to Apple’s Cupertino campus leads us to believe this is not one of those attempts.

No specifics on hardware or software features are shared in developer logs, but sources have indicated that Apple began working on the new version of iOS 7 towards the end of 2012 and is soon to finalise the features that will be included in its first public release.

In the past, Apple has released developer seeds of its major operating system updates at its annual WWDC event, which is typically held in San Francisco in June.

Back in May, 9to5mac reported seeing references to Apple’s new iOS 6 software ahead of its launch at WWDC 2012 a month later, software that included the new Apple Maps, and hundreds of additional new features.
http://thenextweb.com/apple/2013/01...pple-iphone-hardware-and-ios-7-in-usage-logs/

Same news was reported for iOS6 in March last year:

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/02/ipads-running-ios-6-0-at-apples-campus-showing-up-in-web-logs/

i cant believe apple made an entire commercial about the do not disturb feature. the whole thing with venus and serena williams was cute but really? i cant believe someone thought it was a good idea. besides the panorama ad, the rest of the iphone 5 ones have been meh.

rezuth

i cant believe apple made an entire commercial about the do not disturb feature. the whole thing with venus and serena williams was cute but really? i cant believe someone thought it was a good idea. besides the panorama ad, the rest of the iphone 5 ones have been meh.

I love the commercial but the timing is so bad :)

aktham

Quick question guys, I'm up for an upgrade on my line. I currently have a 16GB 4S. I can upgrade to a 64GB iPhone 5 and pay about 50 bucks (after trading in my 4s). How will my apps work on the 5 considering the resolution being different? I'm mostly talking about games. Will there be black bars, or will it stretch the image, or what?

Thanks

Ashhong

Quick question guys, I'm up for an upgrade on my line. I currently have a 16GB 4S. I can upgrade to a 64GB iPhone 5 and pay about 50 bucks (after trading in my 4s). How will my apps work on the 5 considering the resolution being different? I'm mostly talking about games. Will there be black bars, or will it stretch the image, or what?

Thanks

It's black bars unless the app has been updated to support the screen size.

Top Bottom