• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

CrankyJay

Banned
Not saying anything wrong with the 4, but the weight and speed are two attributes of the iPhone5 that you only appreciate when you've spent a lot of time with it and try to go back.

You know, like when you upgrade something, and don't notice too much difference, but if you ever go back to your old one, THEN you notice it.

For me, the iPhone 5 felt light and 'cheap' when just inspecting it, but after use, it does have certain elegance to it. It's light, but not really that 'cheap' feeling once you get used to it. It has a nice heft.

I don't have a nice fast iOS device (iPhone 3G, iPad 1), so a modern iPhone was bound to feel substantially better for me.

Good post. I can respect that.

lupinko

I only bought the pricey adapter to continue using my Sony dreammachine alarm clock/radio dock with my iPhone 5.

It was pricey but worth it at the end of the day.

Curse this apple tax.

I only bought the pricey adapter to continue using my Sony dreammachine alarm clock/radio dock with my iPhone 5.

It was pricey but worth it at the end of the day.

Curse this apple tax.

I did the same thing. :lol Works great for that purpose, obviously a rip otherwise.

Yes.

And what would someone need a female connector to 30pin for? Can't wrap my head around it's use..

more or less just an organizational thing, i could have a new and old cable plugged into my PC cheaper yeah, but i'd rather just have 1 cable

I have a case on my iPhone 5 that makes the official adapter not fit, and i have a need for both old and new styles, so instead of having 2 cables on my desk I could just have the lightning cable plugged into my PC and when i need to sync my old style device just plug the cable into an adapter for the old device

but its looking like I will just have to keep 2 cables plugged in

DarkJC

Because he's cheap and probably wouldn't notice a difference.

You save $100-200 out of the ~$2400 contract you're getting locked into. The 5 will maintain much better resale value even 2 years from now (edit: hell you can sell a 4 for $200 right now, so the next time he's in the market for a new phone he can most likely sell his 5 and get an upgrade to the latest and greatest for little to no extra money), and you'll have the benefit of full support both from Apple and the developer community. There's really no reason to get a 2 year old phone.

Ashhong

more or less just an organizational thing, i could have a new and old cable plugged into my PC cheaper yeah, but i'd rather just have 1 cable

I have a case on my iPhone 5 that makes the official adapter not fit, and i have a need for both old and new styles, so instead of having 2 cables on my desk I could just have the lightning cable plugged into my PC and when i need to sync my old style device just plug the cable into an adapter for the old device

but its looking like I will just have to keep 2 cables plugged in

ah ok, I guess this makes sense. But yea, I have yet to see such an adapter.

Laughlin

I'm really torn here. I plan on getting either a 4s or a 5 sometime today at Walmart. Since $127 is a damn good deal for the 5, I'm siding towards that. My only concern is that the 5 isn't compatible with all the old iHomes and stuff like that and a $30 adapter just doesn't seem worth it.

lupinko

I'm really torn here. I plan on getting either a 4s or a 5 sometime today at Walmart. Since $127 is a damn good deal for the 5, I'm siding towards that. My only concern is that the 5 isn't compatible with all the old iHomes and stuff like that and a $30 adapter just doesn't seem worth it.

The $30 adapter is worth it if you have dock devices.

That is the only real justification for it, and if you have the opportunity always go for the higher end available which is what the 5 is.

Laughlin

The $30 adapter is worth it if you have dock devices.

That is the only real justification for it, and if you have the opportunity always go for the higher end available which is what the 5 is.

Yeah, you're probably right. I think that's what I'll go with. Can't really argue with that price.

RBH

straightalk.jpg

"Walmart and Straight Talk Wireless, America’s largest and top rated no-contract cell phone provider, today put the power back in the hands of customers with an industry game changing offer. Starting on January 11, 2013 in more than 2,000 Walmart stores and online at Walmart.com, customers now have access to the iPhone 5 and iPhone 4 on Straight Talk’s $45 no contract unlimited talk, text and data plan. To make this offer even more affordable, Walmart will be offering customers who purchase the phone in the store, a no interest fixed-monthly payments special financing offer for only $25 a month with a Walmart Credit Card.

The Straight Talk wireless no contract plan, exclusive to Walmart, saves consumers on average $950 a year when they switch from conventional contract plans with similar unlimited plans. To learn more about how Straight Talk Wireless saves consumers $950 a year, please visit: www.straighttalk.com."

The iPhone 5 is available in black or white for $649 for the 16GB model only, and the iPhone 4 is available in black or white for $449 for the 8GB model.
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/08/walmart-and-straight-talk-wireless-now-carrying-iphone-5/

ugh why did they have to do that right after i bought my iPhone 5

well at least that means they will offer the nano sim now right?

any word on setting up an iPhone 5 from ATT on straight talk and having MMS, VVM etc. working properly now that they offer the iphone directly?

sangreal

It works with my case just fine.

consider yourself lucky. I've got 10 or so cases and it works with... 1 (spigen which doesnt cover the bottom). The user reviews out there suggest I'm not alone. Most people recommend the 0.2m one for this very reason, but that also is different dimensions than the normal cable and doesnt work with all cases

So US-GAF, enlighten me.

How is it no-contract when it has you pay a monthly fee?

You can cancel at any time. The fee is automatically deduced from your account on a given time period. That is how it works in Germany. If the amount is insufficient you will pay fixed rate per minute till you run out. Then you need to recharge.

glaurung

The battery and wifi chip of my trusty old iPhone 4 (non-S) both died.

I wanted to wait for the Xperia Z, but fate forced my hand so now I have a 5.

I am looking for a good, but non-bling case for it. I noticed this one: http://www.switcheasy.com/product/Colors_iPhone5/color/Mican/

It looks solid, but the home button troubles me. Any GAF members own this thing and care to comment?

Also, any recommendations for nice cases are welcome.

barnone

My new iPhone 5 has great battery life during the day, but seems to lose about 7% of its charge overnight. my shitty (read: aged) iPhone 4 battery didn't do that! Anyone know what setting I should look at to remedy this?

lupinko

My new iPhone 5 has great battery life during the day, but seems to lose about 7% of its charge overnight. my shitty (read: aged) iPhone 4 battery didn't do that! Anyone know what setting I should look at to remedy this?

Try playing around with the push notifications on certain apps?

So US-GAF, enlighten me.

How is it no-contract when it has you pay a monthly fee?

I'm not sure about all pre-paid providers but on straight talk you do not have to sign up for any kind of monthly auto bill/payment even though that is an option. You can just go buy the 30-day prepaid card from Walmart when your current one expires

I bought this spigen case for mine and I'm liking it:

http://www.spigen.com/cell-phone/apple-iphone/iphone-5/iphone-5-case-slim-armor.html

It definitely adds noticeable bulk and weight to the phone, but considering how light and thin the iPhone 5 is its not really to bad overall and it looks really nice. I also like the fact that it uses the softer material on the inside and the buttons still have a good tactile feel to them even with the case on.

I do have a minor complaint and that is I wish the "lay on the table" protection was a little better, the case just barely rises above the screen and doesn't cover the outter edge on the front Side of the phone very well but I still feel that it has adequate protection and looks really nice.

Edit: the pics on the web page kind of make the slate look bluish but in person its almost identical to the slate on the back of the black iPhone 5

sangreal

Nice. This should work on the Verizon version, right? Also is LTE available at all on Straight Talk? LTE is a godsend and I really don't want to lose it.

Yes, Verizon will work fine because no, Straight Talk does not support LTE (Verizon iphone isn't compatible with AT&T LTE bands anyway)

Yes, Verizon will work fine because no, Straight Talk does not support LTE (Verizon iphone isn't compatible with AT&T LTE bands anyway)

More importantly will you be able to bring an iPhone 5 over from another carrier and have data / mms / visual voice mail all working

brettreyu

Had a 3G for a year and loved it, then got tempted by Samsung and the Galaxy S. After fighting with the worst GPS chip ever put into a smart phone I went to the Nexus S. 8 months of use on that and the hardware board had a short that rendered the phone essentially useless for most of the day. Picked up an iphone 5 last night and wondering why I ever left, what a fantastic device. It just does exactly what I want it too.

Since I've been off iOS for a while, what are some decent games to check out? I dig on strategy and temple run/canabalt type stuff mainly.

Also any recommendations for a google talk capable chat client?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Depends on what you're doing.

I guess regular usage. I use it to listen to music at work, surf gaf a bit, check on my Hatchi, read some news on the toilet and listen to it to and from work. and read an ebook as well. oh and play letterpress regularly.

Hey GAF, I`m trying to buy this iPhone 5 from a person locally. It is sealed.

He thinks it is factory unlocked. Is there a way I can check that without opening the package?

Thanks.

Vyer

I guess regular usage. I use it to listen to music at work, surf gaf a bit, check on my Hatchi, read some news on the toilet and listen to it to and from work. and read an ebook as well. oh and play letterpress regularly.

It's good.

th3dude

Hey GAF, I`m trying to buy this iPhone 5 from a person locally. It is sealed.

He thinks it is factory unlocked. Is there a way I can check that without opening the package?

Thanks.

In the US, my understanding is that all Verizon iPhone 5's are factory unlocked.

If it isn't verizon, I'm not sure how to check.

Pachimari

Do we have any idea when the iOS 6.1 update will happen?
Because the carriers here in Denmark literally promised we would have 4G from November, that didn't happen, so they're estimating January.

sooo I got an iphone 5 today. Finally jumped on the iwagon. One thing I will say. I will not miss the fragmentation of android. Also is it me or does the google voice and google map apps on iOS look better and are more fluid than their android counterparts?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
sooo I got an iphone 5 today. Finally jumped on the iwagon. One thing I will say. I will not miss the fragmentation of android. Also is it me or does the google voice and google map apps on iOS look better and are more fluid than their android counterparts?

That's a common opinion, and it's baffling honestly.

th3dude

Well, it's not fair to look at the google voice app at all. Google barely supports it let alone updates its UI and functionality on either platform.

Google Maps, G+, etc are just absolutely gorgeous on iOS IMO.

Top Bottom