• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Oxn

So this is going to be my first iphone.

Do you think exactly 1 week after launch if i head to a sprint store in NYC, i can just pick one up? or are they expected to sell out for like 2 weeks?

Recon

Banned
Pretty happy with my decision to purchase the 4S in March, instead of waiting. I would of loved this phone too, I just am not that jealous of soon to be owners anymore.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I cant speak for those benchmarks, but I own both phones (had to keep the 4S for development purposes and will likely be getting a 5 too), but in real world use my S3 obliterates my 4S. 4S with similar usage gets me barely half a day whereas the S3 easily coasts a full day.

Those Anandtech benches must be on older FW or something. Or not have notifications, mobile data etc on at the same time or something. No idea.
You sure you didn't run into some sort of firmware bug? The 4S did have some weird issues at first, but now, I easily get a full days worth of battery on my 4S even with moderate-heavy usage. By the time it hits the charger I usually still have 20-25% of the battery remaining.

Early on, however, the 4S DID die on me a few times and seemed to perform much worse in this regard. I'm not sure when things changed but it's not an issue at this point.

There's something gong on with your 4S that isn't normal.

numble

So ive never used iOS extensively before.

Is there a way to make the iphone in chinese? This way i can get my parents one as well.
Yes, iOS 6 even supports voice to text in Mandarin and Cantonese.

There are a whole bunch of input types, including entering Chinese words through handwriting recognition.

dark10x

This adapter lets you connect devices with a Lightning connector to many of your 30-pin accessories.* Video and iPod Out not supported.
OK, what I'm curious about is whether iPod Out still functions with the new cable. I can control my iPhone using the nav screen when connected via USB (bluetooth audio mode only allows for basic controls, though). Unlike some cars, I simply have a USB port included in the center console. When attached to an iDevice it allows me to use the control wheel just like an iPod and browse smoothly through the menus. I'm hoping they didn't fundamentally change the way iPod out works with this new cable for those that aren't using adapters. I'd like to be able to control it from the car.

I know this must be weird for android people, but the iPhone can display stuff other than the home screen. Say, apps.

I'm not an Android person. At all. I just thought Apple would take this opportunity to introduce some kind of visual change while offering functionality improvements, with the logic that the bigger screen permits it.

dark10x

I'm not an Android person. At all. I just thought Apple would take this opportunity to introduce some kind of visual change while offering functionality improvements, with the logic that the bigger screen permits it.
What do you want from the home screen besides, perhaps, live icons?

It's basic but it does what it needs to. Windows Phone has it beat handily in this regard and Android offers a lot of customization, but neither really changes that much about the way you use the phone.

Raistlin

I love consumer mentality. We're so fucked keyed up on this shit and feel so invested and entitled. People feel the need to actually come into a thread about a product simply to comment that they think it's shit, boring, a waste, not innovative, etc., as if it actually fucking matters what they think or who knows it. This isn't some sort of democratic decision being made, a bit of policy or a piece of legislation or a community decision, it's a fucking phone.
If you want it, you'll buy it. If you don't, you won't.
then what's the point of a thread for it?

andycapps

Considering in the keynote they showed it being used in a car to be used with an iPod connection kit it has too. That would make 0 sense if it didn't

I would hope so, I haven't read every post in the thread, but I saw some people mentioning on the previous page that some functionality didn't work. If video and audio didn't work, there's not much point in buying it other than for charging.. And if that's all there is, you can probably buy another complete cable and not have a shitty looking adapter.

iPod Out is a proprietary interface used on some BMWs in 2010. This is iPod Out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj0SRzd40s4

Why would they specifically say video out and an obscure output like iPod Out is not compatible, but not tell you that audio out is not supported?

Remember, this adapter needs to be used for iPod Nanos as well.

i have no idea, my familiarity with the "iPod Out" term is nonexistent, i only know what i read on the product details page. your explanation sounds pretty plausible, but you would think Apple would be a bit more clear in their details...

Epix

What's better, preordering tomorrow and having the phone ship on the 21st OR walking into a large Apple Store the morning of the 21st and walking out with a phone?

And what are you guys basing your opinions on the Lightning cable functionality on? Remember it's an "Adaptive" connector, meaning the pins can change to suit what it's connected to.

What's better, preordering tomorrow and having the phone ship on the 21st OR walking into a large Apple Store the morning of the 21st and walking out with a phone?

I've done both, waiting in line is horrible. Sometimes when they ship it you get it a day early.

I'm going to have it shipped this time.

slightly off topic, but people do tend to love to compare specs on android devices right? Like what software is available on the system that pushes the hardware visually? I know gameloft stuff appear there, what else? Didn't Galaxy on fire 2 have some nvidia version for android?

Ryaaan14

Banned
God damn you Apple. I was FINALLY going to get the white version, then you come out with this kick ass slate colored aluminum on the black models. Fucking hell.

WHAT COLOR TO GET.

goodfella

Anyone wondering, Three in the UK are offering nano SIMs without contract with unlimited internet for £13 a month. The site seems to be struggling at the minute but if you go through the process of buying a monthly SIM the option for a nano is there.

This sounds like the best option.

andycapps

12:01 AM PST

PST? Oh wow, so I'd have to stay up until 3 in the morning to have a chance at getting one shipped to me. I'm going to take my chances and hope some are still available when I get in to work. Otherwise I'll be hitting up Best Buy or Radio Shack. People don't pre-order phones at Radio Shack, do they?

Recon

Banned
God damn you Apple. I was FINALLY going to get the white version, then you come out with this kick ass slate colored aluminum on the black models. Fucking hell.

WHAT COLOR TO GET.

Get the black. I felt the same as you, when getting my 4S. I still really love the white, but I get really jealous of those with a black 4S. Always bet on black. Also, dirts sometimes is really noticeable when it gets in certain areas of the white version.

BFIB

I demand pics of someone using a micro USB charger with old iPhone convertor and new convertor all daisy-chained together.

Wasn't able to find one, but here's an idea of what it'll look like:

800px-Sega-Genesis-Model-2-Monster-Bare.jpg

And what are you guys basing your opinions on the Lightning cable functionality on? Remember it's an "Adaptive" connector, meaning the pins can change to suit what it's connected to.

preordering is vastly superior.

I demand pics of someone using a micro USB charger with old iPhone convertor and new convertor all daisy-chained together.

you want someone to spend $60 for a photo?

PST? Oh wow, so I'd have to stay up until 3 in the morning to have a chance at getting one shipped to me. I'm going to take my chances and hope some are still available when I get in to work. Otherwise I'll be hitting up Best Buy or Radio Shack. People don't pre-order phones at Radio Shack, do they?

If its anything like when this did this before, the site will be up and down all morning and by 9am there will still be plenty left due to problems with the site.

Don't want. How big of a device do you want to carry around in your pocket? I mean at what point are these phones going to be need to be put in an extra bag. I don't have super small pockets, but I am not really even a fan of anything bigger than the iPhone 4S.

Seriously? Wow.

so just use your AppleTV

Don't want. How big of a device do you want to carry around in your pocket? I mean at what point are these phones going to be need to be put in an extra bag. I don't have super small pockets, but I am not really even a fan of anything bigger than the iPhone 4S.

the Dell Streak was designed to fit in a normal sized pocket... kind of like paperback books were designed to do the same eons ago. that size is basically the limit really. what will happen is bezels get smaller and screens get bigger, but that size is pretty much the high bar of phones.

I would hope so, I haven't read every post in the thread, but I saw some people mentioning on the previous page that some functionality didn't work. If video and audio didn't work, there's not much point in buying it other than for charging.. And if that's all there is, you can probably buy another complete cable and not have a shitty looking adapter.

It's possible the reason the 30-pin adaptor dongle is so bulky is because it contains circuitry to produce analogue audio and video signals. They did say that "Lightning" is entirely digital. In any case, it outputs HDMI and digital audio by default.

Anyway, they did strip away features. iDevices haven't supported FireWire for ages, so those pins were redundant.

Wait what? I don't even...

if you think iphone 5 is big, don't look at modern android phones. Not sure if your heart can take it.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Get the black. I felt the same as you, when getting my 4S. I still really love the white, but I get really jealous of those with a black 4S. Always bet on black. Also, dirts sometimes is really noticeable when it gets in certain areas of the white version.

All I needed to hear. Thank you sir.

Tobor

so just use your AppleTV

the Dell Streak was designed to fit in a normal sized pocket... kind of like paperback books were designed to do the same eons ago. that size is basically the limit really. what will happen is bezels get smaller and screens get bigger, but that size is pretty much the high bar of phones.

Lol. A buddy of mine had one of those. We laughed trying to fit that monster into our pockets. No way.

Top Bottom