• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Ashhong

Well the official cable is said to charge faster than the old style data cables. Not sure how aftermarket cables fare. I'm still scared after reading about how some cables make your phone blow up.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Well the official cable is said to charge faster than the old style data cables. Not sure how aftermarket cables fare. I'm still scared after reading about how some cables make your phone blow up.

After seeing an iPhone burn up infront of me, I forever will stay away from 3rd party cables.

lupinko

After seeing an iPhone burn up infront of me, I forever will stay away from 3rd party cables.

I perish that thought, but after having so many third party cables just stop working randomly, I decided to change that up for the 5.

It sucks, but I will gladly pay the Apple tax for 1st party.

Almost like how I never buy third party game console controllers anymore (unless it's an exception like say an arcade stick or driving wheel).

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I perish that thought, but after having so many third party cables just stop working randomly, I decided to change that up for the 5.

It sucks, but I will gladly pay the Apple tax for 1st party.

Almost like how I never buy third party game console controllers anymore (unless it's an exception like say an arcade stick or driving wheel).

Same here, not saying that first party stuff can't be faulty and cause damage. But at least in those cases you're eligible for proper repairs/exchanges since you didn't void any agreements by using unauthorized 3rd party things.

Ashhong

Same here, not saying that first party stuff can't be faulty and cause damage. But at least in those cases you're eligible for proper repairs/exchanges since you didn't void any agreements by using unauthorized 3rd party things.

Well Apple would have no way in knowing that you used a third party charger. I'm just sayin

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Someone recommend me a case or bumper because looking at my Griffin case makes me sad knowing there are scratches on the back and it looks horrible.

Presco

Someone recommend me a case or bumper because looking at my Griffin case makes me sad knowing there are scratches on the back and it looks horrible.

I really like Spigen cases. Lots of options and not too expensive. Currently using a "crystal" clear Ultra Thin Air and no scratches on the case so far. There's a "soft" clear version that would be even less prone to showing scratches. Very slim, barely feels like a case is on the phone. They also have bumpers, bumpers with a back insert, flip, leather, etc.

CyReN

Is there a alternative video player for iPhone? Everything I've seen is some-kind of stream app, I'm just looking to play mp4 on the phone.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
I really like Spigen cases. Lots of options and not too expensive. Currently using a "crystal" clear Ultra Thin Air and no scratches on the case so far. There's a "soft" clear version that would be even less prone to showing scratches. Very slim, barely feels like a case is on the phone. They also have bumpers, bumpers with a back insert, flip, leather, etc.

Ok, I've been looking around Spigen's page and ran into this: https://www.spigen.com/iphone-5-full-armor.html

Seems like a good deal, but I question the screen protector.

Pachimari

Alright, so Danish sources have said, that the Nordic market (and thus the whole world I guess) will get iOS 6.1 next week.

I'll finally have 4G. =;)

Agent_J

can somebody explain what the differences (if any) are between the three U.S. keyboards available on the iPhone?

in keyboard -> english -> hardware keyboard layout
3 different options are available:
u.s.
u.s. international -pc
u.s. extended

i switched between all of them, but noticed nothing different.

Presco

Ok, I've been looking around Spigen's page and ran into this: https://www.spigen.com/iphone-5-full-armor.html

Seems like a good deal, but I question the screen protector.

Hmm, that looks like a great deal. Those screen protectors are supposed to be really good and pretty much scratch proof. All glass and oleophobic. I considered buying that case since it's a bit cheaper than the ultra thin one I ended up getting but I don't like cases that cover up the bottom ports so much. The Shure SE215 IEMs that I use for the gym don't mix well with cases like that. If you do get a glass cover like that, consider getting the aluminum raised home button as well; the glass will make the home button seem really deep I'd imagine.

idwl

I'm considering getting an iphone 5 , was leaning towards a note 2 but i'd rather stay in the apple ecosystem.
Anyway my question is, does anyone know why whatsapp is not on the US appstore?

I just posted this in the pick up thread but here it is for those who are interested.

Something I got for my new iPhone 5.

Thing is beauty too look at. I have the iPhone 5 in there, with my drivers license in the back slot and have 4 cards in the front. I'm sure I can squeeze in couple more as time goes on.

This thing is hand crafted. The leather is supposed to be aged and should give it a more washed out look. It costed me around $50 with shipping.

I placed the order on Jan 14 and I have it in my hand today. That is pretty fast considering it is being shipped all the way from Romania to Canada. However some people I looked up online over other forums had a delivery time of 3 weeks to a month.

I got the duo which has two slots on either sides for cards or cash. Here is the link.
http://www.atelierpall.com/products/iphone-leather-wallet-duo-old-burgundy.html

8403216533_4c985a9364_z.jpg

8404308736_21b9a44aa9_z.jpg

8403215251_f8bf76c29f_z.jpg

8403214693_bc4f2d85d6_z.jpg

8403214235_b5dff4e6c7_z.jpg

8404304574_da80d82b16_z.jpg

8404303894_7830aebabd_z.jpg

8404317514_38a425455d_z.jpg

Let me know if you guys have any questions or need some high resolution pictures :)

EDIT: Just to post something on what I've researched before I made the purchase, I did look into other wallet type of cases but most of them seem to be like the ones where the phone is clipped in or has to be inside the case. So every time when you're at home and want to use your phone, you will have to carry the whole wallet with you, like perhaps the BookBook case from Twelve South which I found is unnecessary. This seem to be a better solution because it is much easier to take it out since it is just a sleeve.

jts

...hate me...
Guys, so my iPhone 5 can't connect to a work wi-fi network. What can I do, assuming I can't mess with the router?

For reference:
I'm on 6.0.2
My iPad mini on 6.0.2: works perfectly
Colleague's iPhone 5 on 6.0.2 as well: works perfectly

mrkgoo

Guys, so my iPhone 5 can't connect to a work wi-fi network. What can I do, assuming I can't mess with the router?

For reference:
I'm on 6.0.2

Turn it off and on again.

renitou

Partway through work today, my phone screen bugged out and ever since, I've been looking at this when using my phone:

ib1r30Ow5Tg9OE.png

some more shots here:
http://i.minus.com/ibdEr2lc5nKZKo.png
http://i.minus.com/ib0QYnhVSvA0ik.png

Already scheduled an appointment at the Apple Store for tomorrow, but curious about what this is? Tried googling around but found nothing matching my problem. Oddly, the screen looks normal when first turned on, but almost immediately the lines appear. And they shift depending on what app I'm in (screen almost totally washes out when in Safari or Mail, for example, and then returns to the separate columns when on the home screen).

edit: Local Apple Store took a look at the phone and was unable to reach any definitive conclusion on what happened, or how to fix it. Walked out with a replacement. Good show. :)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Partway through work today, my phone screen bugged out and ever since, I've been looking at this when using my phone:

ib1r30Ow5Tg9OE.png

some more shots here:
http://i.minus.com/ibdEr2lc5nKZKo.png
http://i.minus.com/ib0QYnhVSvA0ik.png

Already scheduled an appointment at the Apple Store for tomorrow, but curious about what this is? Tried googling around but found nothing matching my problem. Oddly, the screen looks normal when first turned on, but almost immediately the lines appear. And they shift depending on what app I'm in (screen almost totally washes out when in Safari or Mail, for example, and then returns to the separate columns when on the home screen).
Does screencaps (home+power) taken from the phone appear distorted or is it the actual hardware display that's borked?

renitou

Screen captures appear normal when viewed on other devices. Playing a video seems to dispel the issue almost entirely, with only some narrow colored columns appearing at the edges of the screen. As soon as I return to a static screen however, the washed out columns return in full effect.

HoTHiTTeR

For reference:
I'm on 6.0.2

EDIT: Super Beaten. Glad you got it working.

Scarecrow

This is more of a general iPhone question: has google changed up its image viewer? There used to be an option to see an image at full size but now it's more like a slide show.

Infinity

Partway through work today, my phone screen bugged out and e
edit: Local Apple Store took a look at the phone and was unable to reach any definitive conclusion on what happened, or how to fix it. Walked out with a replacement. Good show. :)

Same thing happened to me 3 days after buying my new iPhone 5. Like you, I took it to the Genius Bar, and they had me out the door with a new one in 10 minutes. Good service indeed.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Apparently everyone other than me knew there was a trick to keeping your unlimited Verizon data while still upgrading to iPhone 5.

On the plus side, at the least the guy at the Verizon store was nice enough to tell me about it, although I was pretty dumb and almost turned him down because I thought it sounded suspicious that a Verizon employee would tell me this
KuGsj.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I thought the only way was to buy the iPhone at full price? What was this special way?

I'm sure its been discussed before but they basically added a dummy line onto my wife and my account and the rep did some jiggery-pokery to put the new subsidized phones onto the same old accounts. I guess we technically have to pay another 10 bucks for the dummy line to do this? Not entirely sure but the dude at the counter did a good job selling it to me (and I went in set on giving up unlimited and dealing with a data cap.)

Wiz

Anyone having problems with their phone displaying the incorrect time? This has been happening to me for the last few days and it is really a problem as I mainly check the time on my phone and not a clock. I've found that a reboot fixes the problem but only until the next morning when it happens again.

Omni

Spliced a picture of a galaxy w/ the Apple logo for a nice background (640x1136, 326 PPI):

galaxy-b.png

Okay, that's pretty awesome!

I got the 16GB iPhone5 and I'm filling it up pretty quickly. There's no way to expand its memory, right? (first Apple product I've owned. Didn't think I'd use 16GB)

Raife

Okay, that's pretty awesome!

I got the 16GB iPhone5 and I'm filling it up pretty quickly. There's no way to expand its memory, right? (first Apple product I've owned. Didn't think I'd use 16GB)

No way to expand memory on the phone. Maybe try returning/exchanging it for a bigger model?

mrkgoo

Anyone having problems with their phone displaying the incorrect time? This has been happening to me for the last few days and it is really a problem as I mainly check the time on my phone and not a clock. I've found that a reboot fixes the problem but only until the next morning when it happens again.
What do you mean it's wrong? If gas shifted a few minutes? Have you tried having it set automatically.

Husker86

I'm sure its been discussed before but they basically added a dummy line onto my wife and my account and the rep did some jiggery-pokery to put the new subsidized phones onto the same old accounts. I guess we technically have to pay another 10 bucks for the dummy line to do this? Not entirely sure but the dude at the counter did a good job selling it to me (and I went in set on giving up unlimited and dealing with a data cap.)

Well yeah...you just added another line to your account. Of course he did a good job selling that, he just got credit for signing up another line of service! As long as you're fine with the $10/month more then it's all good. Bigger downside would be if you wanted to leave Verizon anytime in the next two years as you have another line with an ETF now.

Wiz

What do you mean it's wrong? If gas shifted a few minutes? Have you tried having it set automatically.

This morning my time displayed 7:09AM, when in reality it was 7:14AM or something else. I notice this only happens I the morning around the time my alarm goes off, and it only fixed with a reboot. My time is set automatically.

Angry Grimace

Well yeah...you just added another line to your account. Of course he did a good job selling that, he just got credit for signing up another line of service! As long as you're fine with the $10/month more then it's all good. Bigger downside would be if you wanted to leave Verizon anytime in the next two years as you have another line with an ETF now.

I don't get how that's a downside, though. I'd have to incur an ETF to do anything other than stay with my First Gen. LTE phone. The $10 a month covers both my line and my wife's. There was apparently some issue with the work discount she gets too which would have caused a price increase if we had gone Share Anything.

mrkgoo

This morning my time displayed 7:09AM, when in reality it was 7:14AM or something else. I notice this only happens I the morning around the time my alarm goes off, and it only fixed with a reboot. My time is set automatically.
Hmm seems like its drifting. Even set automatically it only pages periodically I assume so there is still potential for drift.

You could try setting manually by turning off the automatic setting. I leave mine on manual to prevent battery drain (when it pages it uses the GPS). Occasionally I recall rate by switching it to automatic myself to get it to page and then back to manual.

I suggest try it in manual to see if the drift is internal.

Ashhong

My phone has actually had the wrong time lately too. It's not drifting for me at least. Once it just randomly changed to like an hour or 2 ahead. Not sure what the problem is but a reboot fixed it.

paskowitz

I am fucking sick of this phone's wifi signal dropping off. One minute it is connected, the next it isn't. With little to no warning I go to LTE... which then rips into my data cap. Wish I had known that before the movie finished streaming. So now I have disable and enable cellular multiple times a day. I hope 6.1 fixes this shit.

Edit.

mrkgoo

I am fucking sick of this phone's wifi signal dropping off. One minute it is connected, the next it isn't. With little to no warning I go to LTE... which then rips into my data cap. Wish I had known that before the movie finished streaming. So now I have disable and enable cellular multiple times a day. I hope 6.1 fixes this shit.

Edit.

Wifi is tricky business. It can be related to the router/device combination. All my devices work MOSTLY ok with my age-old ADSL1 router. I keep looking for newer routers, but when I try them, there is always some issue. One would drop home sharing ability after about an hour. Another dropped wifi for certain devices.

I know that it could be the iPhone 5 that is the issue, or it could be the router. I know people like to say, "but it works fine for everything else!", but that doesn't necessarily exclude the router.

For example, I understand that the iPhone 5 and iOS6 uses some newer standard protocol in wifi connecting, that many routers don't understand. And when it doesn't understand, the router interprets as something else and things fall over. But only for the iPhone 5 and not other devices. You might argue that it's the iPhone 5 for not being 'backward compatible', but sometimes these things don't work like that.

It sucks regardless, though. I hate having to deal with networking issues. And of course, it's entirely possible there actually IS a fault. It's really hard to troubleshoot.

Anyway, you can try different security settings (WPA2 vs WPA 1 etc) on the router.

Top Bottom