• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Ashhong

apple maps is a lot smoother and prettier looking than gmaps. all thats missing is the data. once they have that sorted, which will probably take years, i would love to switch back.

Pretty much. There are just a ton of little things that Apple did that I appreciate. I live in socal so the data isn't even a problem. I have yet to be routed incorrectly or unable to find a POI.

Pretty much. There are just a ton of little things that Apple did that I appreciate. I live in socal so the data isn't even a problem. I have yet to be routed incorrectly or unable to find a POI.

exactly. yelp integration is great too. turn by turn is excellent but since i rely on it more for walking or transit directions, its still subpar. they miss a lot of POIs in NYC and often youd have to name them exactly, which is annoying when you know the place but you misspell it by a letter or two.

mrkgoo

It's touch and go for me.

I find Apple Maps smoother and more fluid, functionality-wise. Seems to be more familiar as it's much like the old Maps app they made.

The new Google Maps app, in my opinion LOOKS nicer (I just like the colouring and labelling more), and is obviously much better for searching, but I find it not as fluid. For example, when I put directions in, I like to see the options visually straight away, in the new app, it seems like it gives you a list of options first, which you have to tap to see.

I value integration a lot too, so Apple Maps wins there.

Today I looked up directions on both maps, Google Maps failed by getting me to go the opposite direction once I hit a motorway, travel 10 minutes and do a U-turn and go back.

Apple Maps failed at the other end of the trip by trying to get me to drive down a set of pedestrian stairs (the destination street was split into two, separated by a walkway).

Looks like I'll have to use a combo in the mean time.

Something that annoys me in Apple Maps is how the labels for many mainstreets is fixed in a location...when zooming in on an area, sometimes the label is offscreen, which is totally worthless.

Google Maps solves this by floating the label on teh street no matter where you scroll.

Fjordson

Just got a white iPhone 5 today. Nice piece of hardware. Much faster than my 4 as well.

And as a side note, GTA: Vice City is awesome on this. Shit looks and runs so much better than the PS2 version.

Quick query that someone may have the answer for. Has the skype app been updated to take advantage of the better front facing camera on the 5? I currently use an iPhone 4 and skype video calls are a big part of it's usage but the quality is pretty bad now compared to current tech.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
At first I was still using Apple Maps for the most part as I was used to it and it was integrated.
But it still keeps giving bad POI info so I'm now pretty much only using Google Maps and it has replaced it on my dock.

X-Frame

Not sure if this is an iOS 6 issue or iPhone 5 issue, but sometimes when I send an email using the default Mail app, the email takes 5-10 minutes to send, even if it's just a quick reply. Other times it's instant.

Any ideas on what is wrong or how to fix this? I've had to use the Gmail app because waiting 5-10 minutes for the email to send is outrageous.

Ashhong

Not sure if this is an iOS 6 issue or iPhone 5 issue, but sometimes when I send an email using the default Mail app, the email takes 5-10 minutes to send, even if it's just a quick reply. Other times it's instant.

Any ideas on what is wrong or how to fix this? I've had to use the Gmail app because waiting 5-10 minutes for the email to send is outrageous.

Are you using Gmail exchange or other one (IMAP?)?

So, iPhone 5, not factory unlocked but carrier unlocked. I'm guessing it is from AT&T but works on other GSM carriers, I'm using it in Canada.
Works on my GSM carrier in Canada and I think it works with other carriers too, considering it is bought at full price.

Black, 32GB, sealed for $540, good deal?

CyReN

I'm having a issue with my iPhone 5, I love to watch movies before bed on it through mp4 files but for whatever reason it doesn't remember it's place. Yes I go into options and have ""Where Left Off" on, and I've also gone in iTunes and manually enabled ""Remember Playback Position". Still it seems like only 1/4th of my movies every remember their place. It's a highly annoying problem.

Any ideas on a solution?

Ashhong

I'm having a issue with my iPhone 5, I love to watch movies before bed on it through mp4 files but for whatever reason it doesn't remember it's place. Yes I go into options and have ""Where Left Off" on, and I've also gone in iTunes and manually enabled ""Remember Playback Position". Still it seems like only 1/4th of my movies every remember their place. It's a highly annoying problem.

Any ideas on a solution?

I think it has to do with the way you are leaving the video. Do you know if you exit all videos the same way?

taylor910

Just started having problems with the power button on my launch 5. Only works every 2-3 times I press it, unless I mash it down (which I don't want to do).

Anyone know if this would be a free fix from apple? Anyone run into this with the 5 or a previous version? If so what did you end up doing?

Husker86

Just started having problems with the power button on my launch 5. Only works every 2-3 times I press it, unless I mash it down (which I don't want to do).

Anyone know if this would be a free fix from apple? Anyone run into this with the 5 or a previous version? If so what did you end up doing?

It seems to have happened on all generations to some extent, they will give you a replacement if you take it in.

What about unlocking it so that I can use it on another carrier?

edit: I guess I'll have to downgrade the ios to 5.11 then. Any easy ways to do this?

i dont think it is possible, i think it can only be re-restored to 5.1.1 only if its currently on 5.1.1

however there are IMEI unlocking services out there that can unlock any AT&T iPhone without a jailbreak required

X-Frame

I'm not sure if it will fix it, but definitely switch to Exchange..

Is the process easy? I am pretty sure I tried to switch it to Exchange because I wanted immediate notifications and not it checking every 15 minutes, but I remember me trying it after following a guide and it still wasn't working correctly.

Is the process easy? I am pretty sure I tried to switch it to Exchange because I wanted immediate notifications and not it checking every 15 minutes, but I remember me trying it after following a guide and it still wasn't working correctly.

You only have until January 30th to get it setup, after that Google is cutting off new activation's using Exchange and Active Sync. Anyone who has it setup before then can continue to use it though.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I have an Iphone 4s and I wanted to upgrade my IOS. is there anyway for me to save all my text messages so that I can have them on my phone when I am done upgrading?? thanks guys,

mrkgoo

Pretty sure they sync with icloud.
They don't 'sync' with iCloud, but they ARE part of the backups on an iPhone, so if you restore a new phone from a backup it should retain the message history.

Personally I don't see why it's such a big deal to retain message history. I DO get why, I just don't think it's a BIG deal, particularly when it's such a chore to navigate past messages (can you search?). When I got my new iPhone my message history was what I really cared about, but not enough I guess and I ended up starting from scratch.

jts

...hate me...
They don't 'sync' with iCloud, but they ARE part of the backups on an iPhone, so if you restore a new phone from a backup it should retain the message history.

Personally I don't see why it's such a big deal to retain message history. I DO get why, I just don't think it's a BIG deal, particularly when it's such a chore to navigate past messages (can you search?). When I got my new iPhone my message history was what I really cared about, but not enough I guess and I ended up starting from scratch.
You can use tools to export that to PDF (or other formats) though, more easily searchable - no jailbreak needed either. And you can archive them on the computer, get rid on the phone.

I find that really important, although it comes from an OCD part of me. I already did that with my Nokias in the past (they had interesting tools to upload texts to computer, but it was hell on the phone itself when you got too many - although the number that defined "many" evolved though time and handsets).

I plan to start clean someday (4 year old iOS history already), but only when there's jailbreak available, then I can inject the texts separately after a fresh install.

Meier

Any word on any clock-docking stations for the 5? Also car docks? Haven't seen much and need to get something.

That adapter I posted above indicates it does work with audio pass through so it would allow your existing ones to work. I'd like to hear from someone who has bought one though..

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
That adapter I posted above indicates it does work with audio pass through so it would allow your existing ones to work. I'd like to hear from someone who has bought one though..

Yeah, I'm looking for something built for iPhone 5 though. A full clock unit with the new port.

RBH

Following up on his report from last month, Jeffries analyst Peter Misek has released a new research report indicating that Apple's iPhone 5S is still in line for a launch in June or July of this year, with production beginning to ramp up in March.

"Our checks indicate that preliminary builds for the iPhone 5S will start in March for a launch in June/July. As word of the earlier production schedule starts to spread, we believe we could see a slight slowing of demand CQ1 in anticipation of the new product launch and Apple will likely start curtailing channel inventory."

Misek notes that he has been seeing signs of two iPhone 5S prototypes currently in testing, although one could be the cheaper iPhone that has been the subject of a number of rumors in recent weeks. On the topic of that cheaper iPhone, Misek says that the device "looks close to being greenlit or may already have been" and offers some "likely specs" in order to help bring Apple's costs down:

"Similar to the iPad mini, we expect a concentrated low-cost iPhone rather than a "cheap" one. Likely specs: polycarbonite case with 4" non-Retina display and no LTE. We believe a new low-cost iPhone would increase Apple's share, decrease [gross margins], but have little impact on [earnings per share]."

Misek also directly addresses the iPhone with a 4.8-inch display mentioned in his earlier report, now saying that he is seeing no further signs of the device. He suggests that the form factor is for the iPhone 6 further down the road, but we remain skeptical about the likelihood of Apple making yet another change to the iPhone's resolution even two generations removed from the iPhone 5.

Finally, Misek comments on recent reports that Apple has slashed component orders for the iPhone 5 nearly in half in the first quarter due to "weaker-than-expected demand". Like a number of analysts, Misek casts significant doubt on the reasons for the dire claims, suggesting that lowered component orders are largely driven by an assembly bottleneck that has resulted in oversupply of components and projected ramping down of production leading into the iPhone 5S.

The original reports from Nikkei and The Wall Street Journal for their claims that Apple was planning to build 65 million iPhones this quarter before slashing its orders, an unrealistically high number considering expectations for sales in the range of 50 million units in the holiday quarter that coincided with the device's launch in most markets. The Wall Street Journal quickly removed the specific 65-million figure from its report, but uncertainty about the sourcing and accuracy of the associated claims persists.
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/15...ed-for-march-production-with-junejuly-launch/

muddream

Banned
"Similar to the iPad mini, we expect a concentrated low-cost iPhone rather than a "cheap" one. Likely specs: polycarbonite case with 4" non-Retina display and no LTE. We believe a new low-cost iPhone would increase Apple's share, decrease [gross margins], but have little impact on [earnings per share]."

I don't think this guy understands concentration in addition to being full of shit.

Natiko

Banned
Hey all, I don't know a ton about cell phones so I was hoping someone here might be able to help me. I had an iPhone 4 for quite awhile and started to notice it was bogging down, would freeze up on transitions, lock up going into the messages app, and general weird issues like that to the point it would even soft crash sometimes and show the apple logo then pop me back up to the lock screen. I decided to upgrade and get an iPhone 5 during December but I've already noticed the same issues happening. I don't leave a lot of apps open in that task bar or anything so I'm really unsure as to why it keeps happening. Any potential help at all?

jts

...hate me...
4" non-retina: not going to happen. What's the point? Even the 2010 $180 iPod touch had a retina display. At that size, it is not battery consuming or anything.

And then sooner they only support retina devices the better (and at least on the 3,5/4" side of things, it's fast tracking towards that, once the 3GS is dead it's done).

Hey all, I don't know a ton about cell phones so I was hoping someone here might be able to help me. I had an iPhone 4 for quite awhile and started to notice it was bogging down, would freeze up on transitions, lock up going into the messages app, and general weird issues like that to the point it would even soft crash sometimes and show the apple logo then pop me back up to the lock screen. I decided to upgrade and get an iPhone 5 during December but I've already noticed the same issues happening. I don't leave a lot of apps open in that task bar or anything so I'm really unsure as to why it keeps happening. Any potential help at all?

pretty strange, ive never had any major stability issues on a non-jailbroken iphone

Did you setup the iPhone 5 from a backup? If so the only thing I can think of is to restore it and set it up as a new iphone, maybe there is something weird being backed up that was carried over from your last one. However if you already did set it up as a new iPhone then I have no idea what else you could try other than exchanging it

once you log into your iTunes account with a freshly restorted iPhone it should be fairly easy to get all your stuff back even when you set it up as new iPhone. Most things will come back automatically from iCloud like contacts, safari bookmarks, notes etc. assuming you have iCloud features turned on, and your apps / music etc. should come back when you sync the phone with iTunes. I think the only thing you would lose completely setting it up as a new iphone is app save data, like your progress in angry birds for example

Natiko

Banned
pretty strange, ive never had any major stability issues on a non-jailbroken iphone

Did you setup the iPhone 5 from a backup? If so the only thing I can think of is to restore it and set it up as a new iphone, maybe there is something weird being backed up that was carried over from your last one. However if you already did set it up as a new iPhone then I have no idea what else you could try other than exchanging it

once you log into your iTunes account with a freshly restorted iPhone it should be fairly easy to get all your stuff back even when you set it up as new iPhone. Most things will come back automatically from iCloud like contacts, safari bookmarks, notes etc. assuming you have iCloud features turned on, and your apps / music etc. should come back when you sync the phone with iTunes. I think the only thing you would lose completely setting it up as a new iphone is app save data, like your progress in angry birds for example

Yeah I set it up from a backup. I'll definitely try and refresh it and see if that helps
once I'm done being addicted to this random game I've been playing lately
. I'll make sure to check back in when I have done it and can tell if it was resolved with your advice. Thanks!

mrkgoo

Yeah I set it up from a backup. I'll definitely try and refresh it and see if that helps
once I'm done being addicted to this random game I've been playing lately
. I'll make sure to check back in when I have done it and can tell if it was resolved with your advice. Thanks!

I had a brand new iPhone 5 that I set up new and it was soft crashing to apple logo when I was moving apps around. Like if I moved too many around while it was jiggling.

I hear some people started experiencing the same thing when upgrading older phones to ios6, so I assume it's possible that there are a few bugs in the OS as well n

Ashhong

Yea I had some issues with restoring from a backup. Starting from fresh fixed all my problems. Kind of annoying but oh well, not too big of a problem.

Anyone with a 5 have issues with the lock button (button on the top right of phone)?

It appears to not work very accurately if I press it on the right side of the button, but works fine if I use the left side. I've never dropped/smashed it or anything.

My 4 worked fine no matter where I pressed the button...

Top Bottom