• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Pachimari

Yeah, I'm reminded my WiFi is also spotty on my iPhone 5. But if I change my router settings from WPA then my 3DS won't communicate with my WiFi at all.

Also, I'm excited for iOS 6.1 and 4G next week!

Also, I really hope my iPhone 5 can last me at least 4 years. There's a long way for NFC to be implemented in my country, 4G is all new debuting next week and that's it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
There's no way to see what is taking battery like on Android is there? I just checked my phone and it's at 37% somehow, which is way low considering it's usually at 85% at this time. Something must have been running, but now my battery is almost dead.

mrkgoo

There's no way to see what is taking battery like on Android is there? I just checked my phone and it's at 37% somehow, which is way low considering it's usually at 85% at this time. Something must have been running, but now my battery is almost dead.
The most common is a location service, check privacy location settings. Be sure to check system services too.

If you be only seen it recently, it could be an app.

Guys, I need some help with my decision.

I am done with my 2 year contract in April but I can change my contract in March but hearing all this news about a new iPhone 5 being released in May-June, and the Samsung G4 in the same period, what should I do?

Should I just get the iPhone 5 because I definitely notice my iPhone 4 being all used up after 2 years of excessive use, or should I endure for 3-4 months and get one of the newer phones?

I am not willing to pay more then I am doing now with the current contract I have, and that is definitely possible when I get the iPhone 5. I am kind of afraid that waiting for a few months will end me up with nothing because the contracts for the newer phones will be €10-20,- higher.

Guys, I need some help with my decision.

I am done with my 2 year contract in April but I can change my contract in March but hearing all this news about a new iPhone 5 being released in May-June, and the Samsung G4 in the same period, what should I do?

Should I just get the iPhone 5 because I definitely notice my iPhone 4 being all used up after 2 years of excessive use, or should I endure for 3-4 months and get one of the newer phones?

I am not willing to pay more then I am doing now with the current contract I have, and that is definitely possible when I get the iPhone 5. I am kind of afraid that waiting for a few months will end me up with nothing because the contracts for the newer phones will be €10-20,- higher.
if you want to get an iOS device then yes just get the iphone 5 as soon as you can, even in the off chance that there is, it'll just be a 5S bump which won't be a huge step up, and that's IFFFFFFFF there is even is a new one in June, which isn't the most likely thing at the moment.

If you want to go Android, it's a bit tougher. You could wait for the S4 or you can just get whatever HTC has out by then since their new flagship should be out soon. Can't hurt to see what the S4 has to offer though. Rumours are that it will be announced in late march and released in April, not june.

RBH

(1) The iPhone 5S is still months away from mass production, but our source suspects that the star feature will be an upgraded rear camera—perhaps featuring Sony’s 13-Megapixel sensor, plus the aforementioned flash upgrade—along with a processor bump. Current prototypes are codenamed N51 and N53, with July mentioned as the target date.

(2) The iPad 5’s code name is J72. As mentioned before, it looks like an October release, give or take.

(3) The second-generation iPad mini has a code name of J85, and is currently planned for October, as well. Everyone we’ve spoken with assumes that it will look and feel basically the same as the first-generation model but feature a Retina screen. That said, no one has actually come up with deeper details on it quite yet. If it’s going to go Retina without substantial body changes, it will need a thin, dense screen (read: IGZO), and it remains to be seen whether there will be enough of those to go around this year.
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ba...re-ipad-5-iphone-5s-and-ipad-mini-2g-details/

Vyer

I am fucking sick of this phone's wifi signal dropping off. One minute it is connected, the next it isn't. With little to no warning I go to LTE... which then rips into my data cap. Wish I had known that before the movie finished streaming. So now I have disable and enable cellular multiple times a day. I hope 6.1 fixes this shit.

Edit.

Wifi is unfortunately difficult to pin down. If you're looking to narrow it down, I'd go to an Apple Store if you have one near you and try a restore/possibly a replacement. At least that would help to see if it's for sure your handset or what.

bionic77

The most common is a location service, check privacy location settings. Be sure to check system services too.

If you be only seen it recently, it could be an app.
If the battery is not running long enough it could be a lot of things. Like mrkgoo just suggested location services really eat through the batteries quick. So does BT. Try to minimize their use.

Also a bad signal can also really kill your battery quickly. There may not be anything you can do about it except maybe switch between LTE and 4G to whichever has the better signal.

As goo also mentioned some apps keep draining the battery even after you close them. I would close everything, do a hard reset, and let the phone run all the way down. That always helps to increase my battery life. A corrupted OS can also fuck things up. That is a last resort, but you may have to reinstall. Also check your notifications. I try to minimize what I let give me notifications or have access to the GPS. I really don't need notifications from Fruit Ninja.

if you want to get an iOS device then yes just get the iphone 5 as soon as you can, even in the off chance that there is, it'll just be a 5S bump which won't be a huge step up, and that's IFFFFFFFF there is even is a new one in June, which isn't the most likely thing at the moment.

If you want to go Android, it's a bit tougher. You could wait for the S4 or you can just get whatever HTC has out by then since their new flagship should be out soon. Can't hurt to see what the S4 has to offer though. Rumours are that it will be announced in late march and released in April, not june.

I have always been debating between Samsung or iPhone the moment samsung released their Galaxy line of phones. The bigger screens always grab my attention, but then when I hold it in my hand I immediately miss the firm touch of aluminium and gorilla glass. It is never a win/win situation for me. It is always positives vs negatives.

I will see in the next 2 months what the news will be about the S4. Thanks.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Uhhh. Went no screen protector on my iphone 4 for over two years and never had a scratch. Already got a shallow scratch and nick in my 5 screen. I have no idea how it happened.

Ashhong

I too have a small scratch on my screen. Not a big enough scratch to actually notice, and there's no affect on the visibility, but if I run my fingernail over it I can feel it. :( This is what I get for deciding to go protectorless for the first time since the original iPhone.

Jonogunn

my phones has a bunch of tiny scratches. but it can only be seen in extreme light.

i need an excuse to get this phone exchanged lol

SeanR1221

Uhhh. Went no screen protector on my iphone 4 for over two years and never had a scratch. Already got a shallow scratch and nick in my 5 screen. I have no idea how it happened.

I too have a small scratch on my screen. Not a big enough scratch to actually notice, and there's no affect on the visibility, but if I run my fingernail over it I can feel it. :( This is what I get for deciding to go protectorless for the first time since the original iPhone.

my phones has a bunch of tiny scratches. but it can only be seen in extreme light.

i need an excuse to get this phone exchanged lol

Same here. Teeny scratches only visible in direct sunlight.

Same here. I fell asleep and my phone fell into the gap between my bed and the wall and I fished the phone out by pulling on the cable it was attached to. Didn't notice the scratches until later that day, they drive me nuts cause my eye is drawn to them. Gorilla glass 2 my ass. Also have two pretty big dents in the phone from dropping it onto my ceramic floor in the the bathroom. Less than half a year in and my 5 looks older than my 4 at 2+ years old lol

My wife's contract ended this month. She's on a 4. Should she upgrade to the 5 or wait for the 5s/6?

I would just wait for the new model at this point, especially since she already has a smartphone. I got my 5 earlier this month, but I also was upgrading from a 7 year old dumb phone that was still marked with the Cingular logo.

Anyway…

Got a case and screen protectors from Amazon yesterday. Both Tech Armor. Haven't applied the screen protector yet, but the case is a nice thin snap-on plastic shell. Not the utmost in protection, but I didn't want to add much bulk, and personally, I just need something to protect against minor scratches and the like. I'm not one to drop my phone.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is there any info on the next model? Is it a September release or is there rumor of an earlier release? She is mostly bothered with her camera (it's been slow and blurry for the past few months).

Is there any info on the next model? Is it a September release or is there rumor of an earlier release? She is mostly bothered with her camera (it's been slow and blurry for the past few months).
I say she should just get the iphone 5. If it is a 5S upgrade which it is likely to be, it won't be a huge difference. It's more likely coming out later but even if it is in june, what I said applies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
man, you guys are fucking up your phones pretty quick
KuGsj.gif

this
61dpcbucgdl._sl1500_jqps8.jpg

coupled with this
urlqdrci.jpg

and im doing just fine. the world doesnt need to know what phone I'm using.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Same here. Teeny scratches only visible in direct sunlight.
Yep that's them. It bothers me mostly because this was never a problem with the 4 and I abused that. I am way gentler with the 5

man, you guys are fucking up your phones pretty quick
KuGsj.gif

coupled with this
urlqdrci.jpg

and im doing just fine. the world doesnt need to know what phone I'm using.

Screen protectors are awful and I shouldn't need them to use my phone. This wasn't a problem with the 4. Mine is in a case.

wenis

I don't understand why they're awful? I've had no problem at all with mine. Not a single one.
It's extra protection because shit happens... And it works.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand why they're awful? I've had no problem at all with mine. Not a single one.
It's extra protection because shit happens... And it works.
Generally reduce screen sensitivity, and reduce image quality, look like ass if even one spec of dust gets under it during install. Edit: feel as well as mentioned below.

I understand why people like and use them, more power to them. I just thought the days of needing a screen protector were over. I guess I was wrong.

Ashhong

I don't hate screen protectors, and used to always have one, but they do change the feel quite a bit. Some people don't like the feel of it. Those people could always get one of those fancy glass protectors if they were worried about scratches on their screen.

I think my camera is broken or something.

Anyone know what it can be? The thing that looks like black smudge on the paper - it appears on every single photo I take. :(

http://distilleryimage9.s3.amazonaws...0a9f15d4_7.jpg

Most likely a flaw in the camera. Get it replaced. Why is the picture quality so bad? Is there a filter on this picture or anything?

Midas

I don't hate screen protectors, and used to always have one, but they do change the feel quite a bit. Some people don't like the feel of it. Those people could always get one of those fancy glass protectors if they were worried about scratches on their screen.

Most likely a flaw in the camera. Get it replaced. Why is the picture quality so bad? Is there a filter on this picture or anything?

Haha, yeah. It's Instagram. :)

I'll guess I have to go to the store and see what they have to say then. Thanks.

Ashhong

Haha, yeah. It's Instagram. :)

I'll guess I have to go to the store and see what they have to say then. Thanks.

Oh ok haha, I was about to say that there is a much bigger problem with your camera if there is no filter.

As long as you can replicate that dot on every picture, they will replace it in under 5 minutes. No worries.

knitoe

Generally reduce screen sensitivity, and reduce image quality, look like ass if even one spec of dust gets under it during install. Edit: feel as well as mentioned below.

I understand why people like and use them, more power to them. I just thought the days of needing a screen protector were over. I guess I was wrong.

They make glass screen protector now. Problem solve. As for dust/dirt, scotch tape removal method.

As long as glass are still being use, scratches can always happen.

wenis

Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. Case and point I dropped my full set of keys onto my phone a week ago. I'd hate to see what would have or not have happened without it.

jts

...hate me...
So they just released Beta 5. I thought they were supposed to publicly release iOS 6.1 next week?

Yeah, it is getting annoying. Especially because there are so many bug fixes needed. Ugh.

But I don't think they have announced any date yet.

btw, people are saying this is GM. I'm going to bite I think. Waiting for mirrors.

Flo_Evans

Ugg some dust or something has made it's way inside the camera. Showing up on all my photos.

Going to Apple store to see if they will fix/replace it.

Tabris

So my first iPhone (from 3 > 3G > 4 > 4S > 5) has been damaged outside of small surface scratches that hardly noticeable. I have two chips on the bottom and a noticeable scratch on the back (because of silver back vs black/white glass). I should have gotten black. They did a poor job designing the white option.

Now it isn't actually that bad, just kind of a bit annoyed of the weak design of corners/bevel.

Pachimari

Where can I see the list of 4G carriers that were added?
- USA: Alaska Communications, Alaska GCI, Bluegrass Cellular, C Spire, Cellcom, Pioneer Cellular
- Canada: MTS, Sasktel
- Puerto Rico: Claro, Open Mobile
- Croatia: T-Mobile, VIPNet
- Denmark: 3, Telenor, Telia
- Finland: DNA, Elisa, Sonera
- Greece: Cosmote
- Hungary: T-Mobile
- Italy: 3, TIM, Vodafone
- Kuwait: Zain
- Luxembourg: Tango
- Philippines: Globe, SMART
- Portugal: Optimus, TMN, Vodafone