• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

- USA: Alaska Communications, Alaska GCI, Bluegrass Cellular, C Spire, Cellcom, Pioneer Cellular
- Canada: MTS, Sasktel
- Puerto Rico: Claro, Open Mobile
- Croatia: T-Mobile, VIPNet
- Denmark: 3, Telenor, Telia
- Finland: DNA, Elisa, Sonera
- Greece: Cosmote
- Hungary: T-Mobile
- Italy: 3, TIM, Vodafone
- Kuwait: Zain
- Luxembourg: Tango
- Philippines: Globe, SMART
- Portugal: Optimus, TMN, Vodafone
- Saudi Arabia: Mobily, Zain
- South Africa: Vodacom
- Switzerland: Swisscom
- UAE: DU, Etisalat

Thanks. Can't believe Telcel (Mexico) was not added. Shameful.

Pachimari

Probably a dumb question but what is upload speed used for on iPhone (and mobile devices in general) ? Is it how fast it'll load a video on 4G? Because download is how fast we'll be able to download apps etc.

Espresso

Banned
Probably a dumb question but what is upload speed used for on iPhone (and mobile devices in general) ? Is it how fast it'll load a video on 4G? Because download is how fast we'll be able to download apps etc.

I think it's how quickly you're able to upload YouTube videos, sync to iCloud, etc.

Depends on whether you're on 3G or LTE as well as where you are, signal strength, etc. I'd guess average LTE upload is somewhere between 5 and 9mbps whereas 3G upload is probably between 512kbps - 2.5mbps?

EDIT: wifi can of course be faster but the basic gist is that the iPhone is always limited by the connection speed when it comes to upstream.

mrkgoo

Upload speed is just the speed of communication via Internet from phone to everywhere else.

Anytime the phone talks with anything over Internet, a faster upload will result in faster overall communication. Since its typically much lower than download, it can be a rate-limiting factor in general communication.

Of course, most modern speeds are more than adequate for general communication. Speeds will only be noticeable when doing things like using video conferencing, heavy data transfer and the like.

Ashhong

Does anyone know how to get autofill /auto-login to work properly for Wifi? Still can't get it to work on 6.1

Eh? My phone saves my wifi passwords. I never have to login or fill again.

So is it a good idea to update to 6.1 if we plan on jailbreaking? Should be safe right?

mrkgoo

Eh? My phone saves my wifi passwords. I never have to login or fill again.

So is it a good idea to update to 6.1 if we plan on jailbreaking? Should be safe right?
He probably means the auto login not for wifi encryption, rather the systems that are open, but require a membership login like at universities. Those things have been on and off since iOS 3.

lupinko

With the 128GB iPad 4th Gen announced, I'm kinda bummed (well not really) about my iPhone 5 (I bought a 64GB) since the 5S is likely to get a 128GB model.

lupinko

Thats crazy, I unknowingly filled my 32GB and I always told myself 32 was enough. Ive even deleted apps I don't use, including games.

Yeah same here, but joking about TV seasons aside, I use my iPhone 5 as my primary music device on the go, so I have a lot of music on there, also a lot of productivity apps and games, I actually don't have many videos. I also have a bunch of books on there, basically the iPhone is my go-to all-in-1 device for me.

Hopefully my iPad mini purchase this month will defer some of my iPhone 5 usage away (mainly my school related stuff).

But still, as Isaac Hayes said it best in I'm Gonna Git You Sucka, you can never have enough.

jts

...hate me...
With the 128GB iPad 4th Gen announced, I'm kinda bummed (well not really) about my iPhone 5 (I bought a 64GB) since the 5S is likely to get a 128GB model.
Jumping to conclusions. When the iPhone got 64GB, that iPad had 64GB for 2 generations already.

If dual-NAND is necessary for 128GB, I doubt the next iPhone will get it.

mrkgoo

Jumping to conclusions. When the iPhone got 64GB, that iPad had 64GB for 2 generations already.

If dual-NAND is necessary for 128GB, I doubt the next iPhone will get it.
Yes.

For a while the iPod touch had more storage capacity options due to the bigger internal space to hold the chips.

seldead

iPhone owners of Gaf could you please lend me an ear?
I had to get my 3 week old iPhone 5 replaced because the lock and homes buttons were defective. After returning home I noticed under the light of my room the replacement refurb model had light scratches all over the front and back of it. I called up apple and was given an appointment but when I went back to the store the Genius Bar dude told me they don't replace $800 phones for minor cosmetic damage after they've left the store.

The scratches are very light and it doesn't really effect the use of the phone at all but the more I think about it the principle is kinda annoying me. It's exactly because its an $800 phone that I don't expect to have it damaged out of the box. Please, people of the Internet, validate me.

*Australia only has a 14 day return policy to the retailer as opposed to the US of A's 30 otherwise I would have replaced the original with a brand new one.

Ashhong

iPhone owners of Gaf could you please lend me an ear?
I had to get my 3 week old iPhone 5 replaced because the lock and homes buttons were defective. After returning home I noticed under the light of my room the replacement refurb model had light scratches all over the front and back of it. I called up apple and was given an appointment but when I went back to the store the Genius Bar dude told me they don't replace $800 phones for minor cosmetic damage after they've left the store.

The scratches are very light and it doesn't really effect the use of the phone at all but the more I think about it the principle is kinda annoying me. It's exactly because its an $800 phone that I don't expect to have it damaged out of the box. Please, people of the Internet, validate me.

*Australia only has a 14 day return policy to the retailer as opposed to the US of A's 30 otherwise I would have replaced the original with a brand new one.

Ask to speak to the manager at the store, and if that fails call up Apple Care. If that fails, write a letter to Tim Cook if you think it's worth your time. I had an issue once and emailed him, and someone from his office actually called me to try and get it sorted out.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Love this new case.

http://twelvesouth.com/products/surfacepad_iphone/

SPiPhone_HP.jpg

Snaku

Banned
If I buy an unlocked iPhone 5 new from a seller on Amazon, will I be able to take it to an Apple Store and get Applecare+?

Ashhong

If I buy an unlocked iPhone 5 new from a seller on Amazon, will I be able to take it to an Apple Store and get Applecare+?

I think it depends on when the phone was originally purchased.

Buy it within 30 days of your iPhone purchase at Apple Retail (requires inspection of the iPhone & proof of purchase). Your iPhone purchase date is the date we ship and charge you for your order.

Regarding dock to lightning port adapters, are there any catches to them? My family has lots of Apple docks and I'm curious if dock to lightning adapters break any functionality with them. I'm also wondering if there is an actual difference between the official Apple adapter and random eBay knock-offs.

Fjordson

I noticed a tiny scuff near one of the corners on my 5. Not even a scuff, like a little nick or something. God damn it.

Oh well, now I don't have to live in fear anymore. It's always more relaxing after that first scratch is out of the way :lol

Ashhong

Any works for me. I have this awesome Griffin one that has 2 slots. Charges at full power and is small and doesn't stick out of the adapter.

Pachimari

Guys, how can I get my Plantronics Discovery 975 Bluetooth headset to work with my iPhone 5? Do I have to wait for Apple to fix it in an update?

Top Bottom