• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

So update to 6.1 is a yay or nay?

I could use a fix for some better battery life when using data and how my phone gets hot while using What'sApp.

EDIT:
It's small scratches you can only see in light. I think it's the oil layer on top(?)

I agree. My screen looks scratchless but yesterday under certain lightening in the bathroom, I could notice some minor ones on there.

Ashhong

I'm not sure how an update is going to fix the phone getting hot, but it's good to go, especially with the jailbreak coming out soon. Some say that you should updating using the restore option on iTunes though. I'm hoping that isn't necessary.

I'm not sure how an update is going to fix the phone getting hot, but it's good to go, especially with the jailbreak coming out soon. Some say that you should updating using the restore option on iTunes though. I'm hoping that isn't necessary.

Why update using the restore option?

Also, I do not mind it getting hot but I know that when it is, it is draining the battery.

Ragus

Banned
A question to those, who use their phone without any protection:

Are scuffs still a problem? I remember reading somewhere, that Apple was supposed to do something with it.

LCfiner

Are scuffs still a problem? I remember reading somewhere, that Apple was supposed to do something with it.

From what I see, scuffs out of the box is no longer a problem.

But, the nature of the finish hasn't changed and it is possible to get scuffs if the phone comes in contact with hard materials.

I've been using mine, without a case, since a few weeks after launch and I got just one tiny little nick on the top chamfered edge. but I don't keep my phone in the same pocket as keys or change.

Cheech

Yeah, mine is nice and dinged up. The phone belongs to my work, not me, but even so I wouldn't care much. I'm not picky though. I also hate using cases, so there's that.

mrkgoo

From what I see, scuffs out of the box is no longer a problem.

But, the nature of the finish hasn't changed and it is possible to get scuffs if the phone comes in contact with hard materials.

I've been using mine, without a case, since a few weeks after launch and I got just one tiny little nick on the top chamfered edge. but I don't keep my phone in the same pocket as keys or change.

I'm with LCfiner. Using since launch(I got t one month later due to return). No scuffs. I have a small ding in the SIM card slot but that we there when I got it.

Phones are meant to be use, and the honeymoon period is mostly over. I just use it now, without babying it for the large part. Love it.

I was a little down on the design at first and the lightweight was vs iPhone 4, but after having it for a while, it has become the superior design to me.

The metal finish gives it a sort of heft that makes it still feel solid and substantial after you get used to it.

muddream

Banned

Mine has accumulated a few tiny nicks on the edges, screen and everything else is scratch-free.

I'm not new to Android hacking and all that, but with iOS, what are the benefits for jailbreaking? I see that you can now jailbreak iOS 6.1, and I'm curious as to the benefits and side effects of doing so.

Clipse

Graft Concepts need to ship out their damn iP5 bumper already. Scratched the chamfered edge again today. I am salty as hell right now.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

I had a 3GS for about 3 years unprotected, and only got a scratch on the screen once about 2.5 years into owning it.

I got a 5 two months ago, and already have 2 scratches on the screen. No idea how they got there, as I haven't dropped it once.

So, there's that.

milanbaros

Member?
Recently got an iphone 5. A disappointment coming from the Galaxy S2. One issue I'm having is that it doesn't constantly stay connected to my wifi at home. Every time I unlock the phone I have to go to dettings and choose the network and reconnect, including entering the password. How do I just keep it automatically connected?

Pachimari

I'm really not impressed by the 4G LTE on 3 here in Denmark. It doesn't feel much faster than 3G - I sure won't stay on my contract. =/

Pachimari

Thats amazing I get around 2.9Mbps on 3G in my country :(

That sounds about right for LTE, I'd go into Cellular settings and turn off LTE so that you can test out your speed on 3G for comparison sake.

Alright, and I'm not even in the capital city right now but I will be in a few hours.

My 3G speeds:

Ping: 66 ms
Download: 19.59 Mbps
Upload: 1.10 Mbps

Maybe I just have to pay more attention to the speed. I mean, I don't notice the difference that much while browsing the Internet og loading up a Youtube video. :)

Jonogunn

Recently got an iphone 5. A disappointment coming from the Galaxy S2. One issue I'm having is that it doesn't constantly stay connected to my wifi at home. Every time I unlock the phone I have to go to dettings and choose the network and reconnect, including entering the password. How do I just keep it automatically connected?

Think that problem is on your end. It normally stays connected to your home wifi.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Just downloaded it, it says:

Ping: 49
Download: 27.49 Mbps
Upload: 12.07 Mbps

Is that what it should be?

According to 3's site that's about what you get at the moment: http://www.3.dk/nyheder/4g-lte/brugertest-af-4g/

Which isn't really much different from most European and Scandinavian 3G speeds, as you've noticed (we are spoiled). Personally I have around 17Mbps download, 3Mbps upload on 3's 3G network here in Ireland (no 4G yet).

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Ordered so fast. Looks great.
Let us know how you fare, I'm adding it to my birthday wishlist for March.
Any docks out yet? A clock + dock would be nice.
I've been on the lookout for an all-in-one that has a clock/radio/speaker while charging but I haven't found anything great that works with the lightning charger on iPhone 5. Sucks that we are almost six months into release without anything good on the front yet.

TxdoHawk

So based on current rumors, there's no real reason to wait for this supposed iPhone 5s, right? My understanding is that the 5 already has the newer Broadcom internals for improved battery life, I don't care about NFC, and I don't really get the impression that 5 owners are starved for processor power.

Closest thing to a dock so far is the Flybridge, which is a successful kickstarter project to make a sculpt adapter for the 30 pin universal dock. Non backers probably won't have access to that for 4 or 5 months, though.

TxdoHawk said:
So based on current rumors, there's no real reason to wait for this supposed iPhone 5s, right? My understanding is that the 5 already has the newer Broadcom internals for improved battery life, I don't care about NFC, and I don't really get the impression that 5 owners are starved for processor power.

I wouldn't even be sure NFC will be there. History tells us to expect a spec bump and possibly a camera bump, but identical hardware otherwise. Plus, the fact that we haven't even seen complete part leaks yet backs up an Q4 release.

vMaxx

I've just bought an iPhone5 and it feels strange so far...after using Android since 2010, I'm gonna need some time to adjust. The phone itself is really beautiful.

I have a question for GAF... Is it possible to multitask in such a way that I can listen to my playlist from Youtube and navigate through the Safari at the same time? I hope that I can...the hardware is powerful enough...

Bgamer90

Banned
I have a question for GAF... Is it possible to multitask in such a way that I can listen to my playlist from Youtube and navigate through the Safari at the same time? I hope that I can...the hardware is powerful enough...

It was possible pre-iOS 6 but YouTube blocked that feature.

There's a YouTube app called Jasmine that let you do it but it's currently having problems with iOS 6.1. It is getting updated soon though.

There are probably some other 3rd party YouTube apps out there that let you have the audio in the background... haven't really checked.

vMaxx

It was possible pre-iOS 6 but YouTube blocked that feature.

There's a YouTube app called Jasmine that let you do it but it's currently having problems with iOS 6.1. It is getting updated soon though.

There are probably some other 3rd party YouTube apps out there that let you have the audio in the background... haven't really checked.

It's a pity that they blocked that feature...any idea why they did that? I will try Jasmine to see if it works...

Bgamer90

Banned
It's a pity that they blocked that feature...any idea why they did that? I will try Jasmine to see if it works...

I believed they removed the feature at the request of content creators (who I guess didn't want it due to people simply streaming instead of purchasing music).

Anyway, I found this app called "PlayTube".

I'm trying it out now and background audio works. The interface is kind of iffy & a bit tacky but it seems to be doing the job overall for an ideal mobile YouTube app. You have to pay for it to remove the ads and get other features though. Going to play with it some more before deciding to purchase it.

EDIT: Found another one called "ViaTube" and it works well too. Has a better interface as well.

Erebus

Alright, and I'm not even in the capital city right now but I will be in a few hours.

My 3G speeds:

Ping: 66 ms
Download: 19.59 Mbps
Upload: 1.10 Mbps

Maybe I just have to pay more attention to the speed. I mean, I don't notice the difference that much while browsing the Internet og loading up a Youtube video. :)

Damn, that's faster than most DSL connections here.

Top Bottom